HELP... I'm Html Illiterate

You'll be going down a slippery slope. First you'll need to tell the cache description page that you ARE supplying the HTML. Then use this:

<font color=red>We are up to $ 4.50 in spare change!!!</font color>

However, any other little niceties like double spacing in paragraphs will be gone, because you now have to supply the HTML for them. If you need to do that, put

at the end of each paragraph.

For more codes (to make your text that much more cool), take a look here.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

c2c2c...

Personally I have memorized most of the oftused HTML tags. Sometimes I have to look something up, but since I've used a lot of them over and over, I don't need to reference anything anymore. It's the tags I don't often use that I have to check to see if I'm using it right.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Zartimus:

Try

This is red

I would ask that you use the six number hex codes for colors instead of the color names. If you use Plucker to send the files to your PDA, the color names confuse Plucker and no file goes to the PDA. I then have to print that page out if I want to look for the cache. If you use hex codes, then the file works perfectly and the text is in color on a PDA with a color screen. Here are some web safe color codes:

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/reference/color_codes/

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

I would ask that you use the six number hex codes for colors instead of the color names. If you use Plucker to send the files to your PDA, the color names confuse Plucker and no file goes to the PDA.

I noticed that annoying bug myself a couple of weeks ago when I went out caching, and one of the caches didn't get loaded. When I got home I looked into it and found that little bug in Plucker, so I added code to Spinner to replace a bunch of popular "named colors" with their hex equivalents.

If you still get missing pages when using Spinner and Plucker, please let me know. I probably just need to add more colors to the replacement list. icon_rolleyes.gif

Of course in the long term it would be nice if Plucker is fixed. icon_wink.gif

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LilDevil:

I noticed that annoying bug myself a couple of weeks ago when I went out caching, and one of the caches didn't get loaded. When I got home I looked into it and found that little bug in Plucker, so I added code to Spinner to replace a bunch of popular "named colors" with their hex equivalents.

AWESOME NEWS! icon_biggrin.gif I love working with the files on the PDA. Thanks for your hard work LilDevil.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

I would ask that you use the six number hex codes for colors instead of the color names. If you use Plucker to send the files to your PDA, the

Maybe you should, instead, ask Plucker to update their software, since color names are part of the standard...

Or, you know, update it yourself. That's the promise of Open Source, after all.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

I think its appropriate for a non-programmer to first submit requests to the current maintainers of an open source project, rather than trying to cobble the changes his or her self. Isn't this the standard practice?

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

I think its appropriate for a non-programmer to first submit requests to the current maintainers of an open source project, rather than trying to cobble the changes his or her self. Isn't this the standard practice?

Standard practice for a non-programmer, yes. I usually submit feature requests with a patch, myself, but I'm not a non-programmer. On the other hand, if you can do it yourself or find someone you know to do it for you, the chance of it getting done is a lot higher. Most maintainers aren't in the habit of scratching other people's itches.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by bcj19:

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

OK, but what about blinking or sparkling text?

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

Personal preference here, but _please_ avoid these things! They drive me nuts! (Not to mention that they may cause seizures icon_wink.gif)

Happy Hunting!

_~ bcj19_

I know, I know. I wanted to have a flashing red WARNING on one of my pages, the [blink] didn't seem to be working, [/blink] didn't either.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

I was wondering what the process is for changing background colors on, say, a cache page like some cachers have done. I thought I had it figured out but I am not just Html illiterate, I'm just plain stupid when it comes to this stuff. That's why you don't see an avatar by my name. So, how do you color or add a pattern to the background? Thanks.