Locked cache

shrekTBA

I am thinking of placing a cache with a combination lock on it. You would find the clues for the combination from other sites on the net and in person to get the numbers. The idea behind this is to make it VERY easy to get to for handicapped access and locked so it won't be plundered.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

I placed one with a combination lock on it. It was a multiple stage where at each stage you found one of the numbers to the combination. I put a little twist in it however...the numbers were in French, German and Italian.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

I have a cache where the finder is led to where they can discover a very obvious number but don't know what its for until they go on to find the cache and it's locked. I give no hint or indication the box is locked. What I did and I'd suggest to anyone locking a cache is to laminate a note explaining what the box is and what geocaching is. Then attach the note to the outside of the container.

The area I have in mind would almost be a locked box chained to a tree, but I am exploring ways to make it less obvious. Using the web to get clues is to enhance the accessability to all, not to all who can hike. All clues would be able to be found with very little exploring, and what there would be, is going to be easy enough for a wheelchair to get too. My target finders are those that can't hike of road, due to physical limitations. The main purpose is to get my grandpa out of his chair where he has been rotting away for years due to health and vision problems. The ideal location may be a specially designed handicapped accesssable fishing pond put in by the county, I believe that they will allow it and encourage it here.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

For your first 'stage', are you considering using perhaps a puzzle of sorts that can be completed using the web? One thought I had was to do some sort of word puzzle (crossword?) where the answers were found on the geocaching website, which would then lead to a 'key' to convert certain letters into numbers. this would familiarize the seeker with the geocaching website, perhaps have them learn a thing or two about the sport, and make it both a mental and physical exercise. This idea is inspired by a great cache in the Sacramento area.

"Could be worse...could be raining"

If some one finds this and they can't open they might do other things to it, like steal it or smash it open.

I had a car that was broken into. The doors were locked. They jimmied the lock, got in, the alarm went off, they got scared and when I got to my car all the windows were busted out of it.

Hide it well and you won't have to worry about people vandalizing it.

I don't seek. I find.

-Pablo Picasso

burnout.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Eric K:

I agree with Markwell

I would suggest if you do it make sure it is WELL hidden.

I think I'm misquoted here. I don't remember saying that.

In fact, the one I have with a combination lock is right out on the trail, but it is done so because the forest preserve district rangers wanted it that way.

If the cache is placed with permission and the rangers know where it is (well hidden or not), when someone reports to the rangers an ammo box in the woods - they can say, "Oh, yea. That's our local geocache. Nothing to worry about."

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I have a similar cache. It drives people nuts! Its been out for almost a year now so I guess I can share the evil idea now.

First the given cords are along a walking trail under a bridge. The given cords are a guesstimate to the middle of the bridge. It is a mystery cache so folks really don’t know what they are looking for under there, however there is a tag with 2 coordinates on it with arrows pointing right and left next to them.

One set of cords leads you to a birdhouse with the combination for a lock attached. The second set leads you to the locked cache. But the Cacher has to choose which one to go to first! It’s only about a ¼ mile from the bridge to each cord so choosing the wrong one to go to first only adds maybe a 1 mile walk.

That cache has more no finds than any of my others just for the difficulty of finding the tag under the bridge, I guess most don’t realize a mystery can be anything and they are hunting for the actual cache!

This Isn't rocket science...

587_1100.jpg

i have a dial style combo lockon my cache, only one person couldnt get in, blamed it on lock saying it was bad but they didnt know how to open the lock, maybe a combo lock with the numbers on the bottom would be better since you just have to put the numbers in the right order and then it opens