Wake Up and Smell the Catfood Folks

briansnat

quote:
Originally posted by Canyon Rose:

I agree with Brian, give Jeremy a break and be bloody grateful or a change. I think appreciating this website a little more wouldn't hurt.

I believe appreciation is shown with the fact that some of us can change our titles under our Avatars. I think it is shown, every time we buy a TB keychain that costs 5 times as much as the object we attach it to. I think others aprreciate the site when they purchase hats, t shirts, decals and etc. I believe appreciation is shown...

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

I believe appreciation is shown with the fact that some of us can change our titles under our Avatars. I think it is shown, every time we buy a TB keychain that costs 5 times as much as the object we attach it to. I think others aprreciate the site when they purchase hats, t shirts, decals and etc. I believe appreciation is shown...

I don't think that because money is spent here that it shows appreciation! That has nothing to do with the fact of treating someone the way you want to be treated. People can't stand nor do they appreciate Microsoft yet they still buy their products.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

If we didn't appreciate what is done, then I don't thinnk we will be spending our money. Especially for a premium membership. You have to admit that the only going for a premium membership is pocket queries. Some don't even use them or know how to use them that have premium memberships, as Criminal stated in his thread. I think whenever someone purchases something from someone they are supporting them. If they didn't support them, they wouldn't appreciate them.

I appreciate Microsoft when I purchase their products. I've not owned one PC that was MS powered, but more than 3 that I can remember off the top of my head. I appreciate and support them, every time I suggest to someone to buy a microsoft powered computer over a MAC. Bill Gates appreciates that as well.

Whether you disagree with them on what they do or how they handle something has nothing to do with appreciation or support. What would happen if people stopped buying and renewing premium memberships? What if people stopped buying from the Groundspeak store? Who will pay for the servers, equipment and other things? Financial support is appreciating something...

The golden rule is widely taught and is good, but it goes both ways and it's not just one sided. Whether it's the CEO of Groundspeak or a volunteer approver that represents them.

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

I don't think that because money is spent here that it shows appreciation! That has nothing to do with the fact of treating someone the way you want to be treated. People can't stand nor do they appreciate Microsoft yet they still buy their products.

What's this?? A kinder, more gentle, umc? Wow! I like it!

I concur! Supporting the site is great, but spending money does not always equate to appreciation. It's always nice to hear that you're doing a great job. The fact that people continue to purchase items and buy premium memberships is great, and maybe yeah you could say that shows appreciation... but it's a passive, impersonal way to show your appreciation.

Doesn't hurt to throw out an attaboy now and again.

RE: Premium features...

I have rarely experienced an outage on any of my premium features, therefore I'm not unhappy. I don't have expectations that my money should buy more. I went into a premium membership knowing what was available to me as a premium member. As things become available in the future... great! But if you bought a premium membership BECAUSE of what you /think/ is coming down the road... if you're dissappointed it's your own fault.

New features are coming, I believe it. The best part is that when they come, currently subscribed premium people will get them FOR WHAT THEY ALREADY PAID! You don't have to pay for an upgrade, so you get MORE for what you already paid.

When we buy a premium membership, we buy the right to use available features of premium members. Not the right to dictate the development direction and resources of the site. As cachers we can all give input, but we shouldn't expect to be able to mandate anything here.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

I pay my $3 per month and I figure I get more than the value of that from the site. If things are not perfect, I don't really care because the main point of the site is functioning and I am happy to help pay for that. If I ever have a complaint, I'll politely make it and not freak out about it. I suppose if I ever get bothered to the level I have seen here recently from some people, I'll use that other site. Can't see that happening though since this site is far superior in my mind.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

I pay my $3 per month and I figure I get more than the value of that from the site. If things are not perfect, I don't really care because the main point of the site is functioning and I am happy to help pay for that. If I ever have a complaint, I'll politely make it and not freak out about it. I suppose if I ever get bothered to the level I have seen here recently from some people, I'll use that other site. Can't see that happening though since this site is far superior in my mind.

http://outbreakcorp.hypermart.net/animation/pokemon/pokeanim3.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself.... so I won't...LOL.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
Or maybe that's your interpretation of "Particle Man"?

What exactly was Triangle Man's beef with Particle Man? I know there was some animosity there, but what caused it?

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

I'd heard the tune was about Eclidian math. I couldn't follow the concept, as I have a deep hatred for math. Something about the advancement of concepts of math.....

130036_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

What's this?? A kinder, more gentle, umc? Wow! I like it!

I concur! Supporting the site is great, but spending money does not always equate to appreciation. It's always nice to hear that you're doing a great job. The fact that people continue to purchase items and buy premium memberships is great, and maybe yeah you could say that shows appreciation... but it's a passive, impersonal way to show your appreciation.

Doesn't hurt to throw out an attaboy now and again.

RE: Premium features...

I have rarely experienced an outage on any of my premium features, therefore I'm not unhappy. I don't have expectations that my money should buy more. I went into a premium membership knowing what was available to me as a premium member. As things become available in the future... great! But if you bought a premium membership BECAUSE of what you /think/ is coming down the road... if you're dissappointed it's your own fault.

New features are coming, I believe it. The best part is that when they come, currently subscribed premium people will get them FOR WHAT THEY ALREADY PAID! You don't have to pay for an upgrade, so you get MORE for what you already paid.

When we buy a premium membership, we buy the right to use available features of premium members. Not the right to dictate the development direction and resources of the site. As cachers we can all give input, but we shouldn't expect to be able to mandate anything here.

Agreement to follow:

Exactly -- you buy the premium membership because you love the sport and want to have more fun with it. Within two weeks of starting geocaching, I was ready to put my paypal $$ in. Reason for that is, the costs go mostly to upgrading equipment, development, etc. People would be foolish to believe that this doesn't make SOME profit, and who can possibly blame him for it? But I mainly put the dollar in the pot because I don't want this site to go away. I'm addicted to the sport, and wouldn't want to hide caches from myself. It's still an awesome undertaking for a booming sport, and it'd be tough to keep up with demand without some sort of income to upgrade with.

Regardless of whether you (meaning everyone) embrace all of Groundspeak's policies and opinions or not, this site is still the best thing going. If any of you think you can do better & make it work, then go to it. I'll see you when you come back.

Hope at least some of that made sense!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

The site delivers as advertised. I've only seen the forums slow once, and that was during yesterday's flurry of locked threads. Regardless of whose playground people think it is, the site owner sets the rules.

You're always going to see topics breed threads inside of them, even off-topic stuff. It just happens, you can't stop it without looking like a Nazi. Complaining about it is just as silly and useless as the responses such a post is going to receive. Just like Mom and Dad always told you "It's not hurting you, so stop reacting."

Personal attacks are something different entirely. That falls into the "p*ss off and get a life" category. If you don't like someone, don't bother responding to their posts with an attack. You're only coming across as a jerk. People doing this deserve to get their butts banned.

The forums are what people make of them. Even if the forums became one of the "member perks," people will bring their baggage. It's just what people do. If you find something you object to, the scroll bar located on the right side of your screen will whisk you away from the offending issue.

130036_200.gif

I don't think there is a debate of whether the site in general (mecahnics and etc) are not handled well. They are. I think the appreciation shows when people continuously show up here each day. Whether they are placing caches, logging finds, or using some of the other features. If they didn't appreciate the work that is put into , then they would not support it, physically, emotionally, or financially. I think putting a buck or two into their bank account shows that support and appreciation. As far as stating the obvious "attaboys" and "good jobs", I don't think it is necessary for the functioning of the website. It's a business. A business takes it's earning as to whether they are doing a good job or not. They take the good with the bad as to the satisfaction of their customers. As the satisfaction of those customers rely on the outcome of that business.

Customers satisfaction also depends on how the customer is treated. Take a fast food restaurant for example. A person behind the counter making minimum wage may insult or talk down to a customer. That can be expected from time to time. Would you expect the same thing from owner of the fast food restaurant? I wouldn't think so. They would normally treat the customer with the utmost respect, because all their customers are important to us. We support and appreciate those places when we return back and buy a burger. But do we ever write the owner and say good job or attaboy? They have customer complaint cards. Normally you will very rarely see a customer appraisal one. They know that if no ine is complaining, things are working good, and they are still making money, then they are doing something right. But they have the complaint cards because they want to know what can make things better.

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by mckee:

The site delivers as advertised. I've only seen the forums slow once, and that was during yesterday's flurry of locked threads. Regardless of whose playground people think it is, the site owner sets the rules.

You're always going to see topics breed threads inside of them, even off-topic stuff. It just happens, you can't stop it without looking like a Nazi. Complaining about it is just as silly and useless as the responses such a post is going to receive. Just like Mom and Dad always told you "It's not hurting you, so stop reacting."

Personal attacks are something different entirely. That falls into the "p*ss off and get a life" category. If you don't like someone, don't bother responding to their posts with an attack. You're only coming across as a jerk. People doing this deserve to get their butts banned.

The forums are what people make of them. Even if the forums became one of the "member perks," people will bring their baggage. It's just what people do. If you find something you object to, the scroll bar located on the right side of your screen will whisk you away from the offending issue.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/130036_200.gif

As stated.... I concur...

Brian

quote:
Posted by woodsters:

As far as stating the obvious "attaboys" and "good jobs", I don't think it is necessary for the functioning of the website. It's a business. A business takes it's earning as to whether they are doing a good job or not.

Are you even kidding me? Do you not work? Don't you think they are people behind the names here? Don't you think those people need to hear nice things? Or its ok because they are a business so 'F' them? Any place I've ever worked it was very important to get the ol 'attaboy' It was important to give them to the boss too.

Maybe its because you don't ever get an "hey woodster nice post" that you don't understand this concept. Maybe its because you have no work experience (I doubt this) Whatever the reason is, wake up and understand that EVERYONE need to hear nice things from time to time.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

I never did say that they don't deserve them. I said "attaboy" in this thread after you brought light to it. My remarks were basically that even if they are not said directly, they are shown financially. I would not of signed up if I didn't think they were doing a good job. Am I 100% satisfied with it all? No. But just as there were numerous threads about thread lockdowns and all, there were just as many posted basically saying "what's your problem"...Each have their valid points. But one has the tendancy to get locked. The thing is that it is a business to them and they will have to expect to get various results from it's users. Good and bad...There's nothing saying that people can't say they are doing a good job...but there has been some disconcern for some of the customers on here lately.

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by mogolloyd:

quote:
Just like Mom and Dad always told you "It's not hurting you, so stop reacting."

My Mom and Dad never said that.... Just for the record.

ROFL, I was thinking the same thing.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

icon_rolleyes.gif Well as long as Brian's thread has been kidnapped into my mother said:

Mine used to say "this hurts me more than it does you." My reply was "well then stop hurting yourself!" icon_biggrin.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
Originally posted by Romad_Pilot:

I think that my money is well spent when I consider I can go to this website and I'm not bombarded with a gijillion ads for products

I'm grateful we aren't subjected to them as well, however, neither are those people who have never spent a dime on the site. Apparently their money "not spent" is as effective as our money "well spent."

Hey Woodsters, nice posts today!

quote:
Are you even kidding me? Do you not work? Don't you think they are people behind the names here? Don't you think those people need to hear nice things? Or its ok because they are a business so 'F' them? Any place I've ever worked it was very important to get the ol 'attaboy' It was important to give them to the boss too.
This is true. Everyone needs to be stroked a bit from time to time. It's good for our self esteem.

What bugs me though, are the gooshy threads with titles to the effect of "You're the best!" or "Thanks for being you!". It's a bit over the top and if it were me, I'd be a bit embarrased rather than flatered about it. It's a lot more sincere to give your thanks and respect during everyday discussions where they are genuinely real, instead of somewhat obligitory -- I get people telling me how great I am all the time, so I know what I'm talking about. icon_biggrin.gif

If you feel like giving someone an attaboy, you can. You don't need anyone's permission for that.

Chill out umc, you write some pretty darned good posts yourself. icon_wink.gif

We joined as premium members not to get any "extras" but only because we appreciated the site so much that we felt that this was the least we could give back. We'd spend more than $30.00 by going out to dinner one night. For the $30.00 we paid as members here, we've had over a years worth of fun, excitement and exploration. We never would have seen many of the places we've been and done many of the things that we've done (good and bad) without the introduction of this sport by "TPTB"!

We want to give them our gratitude. Yes - there are things we'd like to see different - but it's not worth starting a giant argument about. We did like the stats page but whatever happens with that, will happen. We don't post a lot on the forums because we've had bad experiences with that when we have done it, but we're here because we like to cache - and we will continue to do that thanks to Groundspeak.

We didn't pay our $30.00 thinking that we were going to be stockholders in a major corporation and have voting rights. Private enterprise is private and we're not telling anyone how to run their business.

"Geocaching expands your horizons - not your butt!"

quote:
Originally posted by wimseyguy:

icon_rolleyes.gif Well as long as Brian's thread has been kidnapped into my mother said:

Someday mother will die and I'll get the money

Mom leans down and says 'My sentiments exactly,

You son of a b----'

I palindrome I

-They Might Be Giants

Multiple secondary topics! (I'm assuming Brian doesn't mind too much since he's posted about TMBG here too)

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

[This message was edited by Dinoprophet on August 21, 2003 at 09:45 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

-- I get people telling me how great I am all the time, so I know what I'm talking about. icon_biggrin.gif

LMAO!!

Seriously though...good words do go a long way. I had a guy send me an email about my Hiking Staffs last night. He didn't want to order one...he wrote to tell me that I had inspired him to carve his own, even though he had no experince at wood carving. He just wrote to say thank you for the inspiration. It has to be one of the best compliments that I have ever received about my work.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Maybe its because you don't ever get an "hey woodster nice post" that you don't understand this concept. Maybe its because you have no work experience (I doubt this) Whatever the reason is, wake up and understand that EVERYONE need to hear nice things from time to time.

Holy doot! I think umc's account has been taken over by the Missus! icon_smile.gif

Right on man.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:
What bugs me though, are the gooshy threads with titles to the effect of "You're the best!" or "Thanks for being you!". It's a bit over the top and if it were me, I'd be a bit embarrased rather than flatered about it. It's a lot more sincere to give your thanks and respect during everyday discussions where they are genuinely real, instead of somewhat obligitory -- I get people telling me how great I am all the time, so I know what I'm talking about.

If you feel like giving someone an attaboy, you can. You don't need anyone's permission for that.

Well, from the timing of the posts, I don't think you are talking about my recent Thank You Tahosa, Mnt-man and Jeremy thread. But I will say that sometimes a public thank you is warranted, and that was one of them in my mind. I already did a bunch of private thank you letters, but wanted them to get deserved recognition. I hope I didn't embarrass anyone, I hadn't really thought of that! Instead, it was something that I felt really deserved a public thank you and recognition for.

pokeanim3.gif

carleenp, No I wasn't talking specifically about your post -- hadn't even seen it before I posted. But, that is the kind of post that I'm referring to. Specifically, my above post refers to the following of people who tend to add gooshy little tidbits because they feel obligated (which thankfully hasn't happend on your thread). However, having said that, it's not a big deal. Do what you like, but I'd appreciate it if you ever feel the urge to honour me with a thank you, that you don't post a forum thread about it. icon_wink.gif

Didn't mean to rain on your parade. You posted with heartfelt passion and that is very cool.

quote:
Do what you like, but I'd appreciate it if you ever feel the urge to honour me with a thank you, that you don't post a forum thread about it.

Didn't mean to rain on your parade. You posted with heartfelt passion and that is very cool.

OK, if I ever want to thank you, I will remember that! And no, you didn't rain on my parade. As you noted, my post there was with heartfelt passion and I really felt the good deed involved deserved recognition. icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

Do what you like, but I'd appreciate it if you ever feel the urge to honour me with a thank you, that you don't post a forum thread about it. icon_wink.gif

Mussssst...not....post.....the THANK YOU JOMARAC5...thread.

Mannn, the things that the voices in my head keep trying to get me to do.

I'd hafta go Jamarac5 on my own a$$ if I posted that. (I'm tellin ya J5. That verb is gonna stick.)

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.