Are fishing lures a wise idea for trade item?

I love Buzz baits and large lures for bass fishing, and I thought it might be kinda nice to put lures in caches as a trade item.

The only catch is, well, catching some poor geocacher's kid as they rip into the cache looking for that favorite McToy...

Has anyone done this? Can anyone recommend a safe way to do this? Thanks!

---------------------

It wasn't me.

I personally like finding lures....

in certain cases. I like finding them new, still in the packaging. This keeps me from getting hooked.

I don't like finding old rusty, crusty lures that still have bits of bait hanging on.

So a good idea would be to only leave brand new, still in the packaging lures. Keep the old ones that you have used please icon_wink.gif

"Sometimes you are a very large fool Perrin Aybara. Quite often in fact." Annoura Sedai (Book Nine of The WoT)

I think it is a great idea - use circle hooks (no barb, great for catch and release). They'll be less likely to stick and hold into someone if they grab it wrong.

I've been giving this some thought, and I have seen translucent 35mm plastic film roll cans around. I bet these would be ideal little holders for your hooked lures - you can kinda see inside, and little kiddies aren't gonna easily grab it and get ouchied. Of course, they would need to FIT in a 35mm film roll can in the first place - dunno what type of lure you are making.

If they do fit, perhaps you could make a sticker for the can stating who you are and that the item inside is a sig item from you.

I'd snag it and put it on display, myself...

Great idea stonefinder!

---------------------

It wasn't me.

Fishing lures are popular up here. Just go with new ones still in the package to avoid getting hooked.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

stonefinder,

you say you make fishing lures, are you refering to tying flies? If so tie them on a safety pin.

I don't see a problem with leaving fishing lures in a cache. There are far more dangerous things (outside of caches). I have a selection of some flies that I tied in one of my caches. They are small and wrapped up in a baggie. Nobody has had to make a trip to the hospital yet because of it.

MiGO

Caching with a clue....

I have twice pulled fishing lures from caches, not because I fish or wanted the lures, but because they were just sitting in the cache waiting for someone to get hooked.

Conversely, I found one lure in a cache and left it there because it was in a box to prevent accidents.

I think that for people that fish, a lure is a great item to find in a cache but for the rest of us we would rather not get tetnus discovering such a lure accidentally.

Practice safe caching. Sheath your hooks.

Kordite

ph34r my l33t kl1n90n 5k1ll5.

They are fine in their original package, or in the case of unpackaged buzzbaits and spinners, with some duct tape over the hook.

I found a fishing lure TB once. It had the hooks, but the owner had clipped off the barbed ends. Still, the hooks were sharp enough to penetrate skin (so I found out), so i just took them off.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
or in the case of unpackaged buzzbaits and spinners, with some duct tape over the hook.

Mmmmmm Duct Tape!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

I've left them a few times. I'm not even much of a fisherman, but felt they were fitting for a cache (since most of the ones I do are NOT urban caches).

Safety was something I considered, so I only get ones that are packaged well. Obviously I don't put used ones in for safety reasons. The Duct tape, as mentioned, would probably be sufficient. I am careful where I put my hands so I don't think even a bare hook is likely to get me, but I guess some people use their hands like shovels icon_rolleyes.gif (if so, you have other things to worry about, IMO)

There's also those little circular metal containers with a see-through top to put flies in. I'm not a fly-fisherman, and I don't know what they're called, but they're pretty cool for storing flies (or so I've seen).

That would be a good find.

Pan

Fact is that there is nothing out there you can't do,

Yeah, even Santa Claus believes in you...

Floyd of Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, from "Can You Picture That?"

quote:
I'm not a fly-fisherman, and I don't know what they're called, but they're pretty cool for storing flies (or so I've seen).

Don't be shocked, but we have always called them fly boxes! The metal ones can get kind of expensive. There are cheap plastic one though that would also work well. I used to tie flies quite a bit but haven't for some time. I really should do a bunch up for caches that are near fishing spots and put the geocaching logo on the plastic boxes.

pika waving

There is a cacher in my area that tied some flies and put them in those plastic easter eggs and then put them in the cache so people wouldn't get hooks in their hands. I also know of a cache that is specifically for trading fishing lures. I think its a great idea, beats finding fast food restaurant toys.

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

Back in the woods with Ranger Rick and Ranger Jim. Shhh, let’s listen in…

“Well, Rick, did ya hear what happened to that fisherman out in the South Fork by Hidden Cache Falls?”

“No, Jim, I’d like to know. Anything to break up the monotony of getting all those requests to hide caches we’ve been getting lately. Nice to know others are using the woods too.”

“Well, it seems the fisherman came back to fish and was looking for his minnow bucket. Claims he placed it in the lake by the big tree with a heavy rock on it when he left yesterday. When he came back today, it was gone! Well, kinda of gone. What he found was an ammo can instead full of holes on the top. When he opened it expecting to find some terrorist’s .30 cartridges, he found it instead full of water. And there were his fishes – the same 15 minnows he left in the original bucket. There were also fish hooks and mini-bibles with their pages all stuck together and a spiral notebook with runny ink all over it.””

“Wow. That’s some mystery. What’d’ya think happened?”

“Well remember the other day when some cacher came by and we refused to let him hide his cache in that area. Well…”