It seems gauche...

I wouldn't put someone else's bug in my own cache unless I thought that it was either an apropos place to leave it, or I foresaw that it might be a while before I went caching again.

However, putting my own bug in my cache seems perfectly all right to me, and I fail to see why anyone would have a problem with that.

If you think that's gauche, what about putting a TB that contains the hints to a multicache in the final stage of the cache it contains the hints to? I did that once, too.

pirate.cgi.gif

Seeing as I do this a lot, I obviously don't have a problem with it. The whole goal is for travel bugs to move from cache to cache. What does it matter which cache it is, and who owns it?

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I don't see anything wrong with it myself. In fact, I have done it when I had a travelbug that I didn't want to hold onto for long (it was part of the Cannonball Run race) and I needed to check on my cache anyway. I would also do it if I thought the cache would somehow fit the travelbug's mission.

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

I've started my own travel bugs out in my own caches, or ones near my house, the same as I use the outgoing mailboxes nearest my house or work.

If I'm trying to get a letter/TB out, I'll use the mailbox/cache that's most convienient to me.

However, I don't think I've ever stuck a TB I've found into my own cache. That seems kind of pointless unless it would be helpful to the TBs mission.

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnlady:

It seems gauche to me when people put TBs they've found into caches that they own. The ultimate in gauch-i-ousity is when they put the new Travel Bugs they own into one of their own caches.

Does anyone else see it this way?

Actually, I had not thought of it one way or the other. When I create a new travel bug and I have a new cache to be placed, I'll usually launch the bug from that cache. Otherwise new bugs are launched out of whatever cache I am heading to next. I also don't obtain bugs from caches and then go put them into mine, but actually that's not a bad idea, might get more people to get in their four wheel drives and head out to my caches...lol.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

I don't have a problem with it. When I placed my first cache, I also started one of my travel bugs in it.

I also have several times returned to a cache that I know well to leave a bug. I do that because I know the cache is not likely to get plundered and bugs move from it pretty quickly. If one of my caches fit that description, I would use it in the same manner.

pokeanim3.gif

You have to start a travel bug somewhere, and everyone's bug wants to go somewhere, I don't see why it should matter if I'm putting a travel bug into my own cache or someone else's. At least the cache get's a maintanence check while I'm there dropping off the bug.

Nothing to see here, move along.

quote:

It seems gauche to me when people put TBs they've found into caches that they own. The ultimate in gauch-i-ousity is when they put the new Travel Bugs they own into one of their own caches.

Depends. If I have had one for a while and am out doing a maintenance check, it seems only courteous to keep the bug moving. If I am not going caching for a while, it seems that putting it in my cache would be the best alternative.

quote:

Why is it called tourist season if you can't shoot them?

Exactly...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

I don't see a problem with either. Most of the caches near me are mine, and if I want to start a travel bug on its way, I'll often place it in one of my caches.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:

Hmmm...

I ick up a bug, I put it in a cache. Once I had a TB that I had found and didn't find the cache I planned to drop it in. I was doing a maintenance stop at one of my own caches, and since I didn't know when I would be caching again, I dropped it there. It was within the TB's stated goals.

That is the only time I have dropped womone elses TB in my own cache. I have started my last few TBs in my own new caches.

What, exactly, is so gauche about that? It is not like logging a find on my own cache each time I do a maintenance stop.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:

The ultimate in gauch-i-ousity is when they put the new Travel Bugs they own into one of their own caches.

I have a TB I'm ready to launch but I've been waiting until I have a new cache ready to start it in. I *prefer* to do it that way. It only seems fitting to me that my TBs start their journey in one of my caches. How is it gauche? Because it gives people an additional reason to come to your cache? Are First Finder prizes gauche, too?

BTW, I don't have a problem with the word "gauche".

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

[This message was edited by Dinoprophet on July 21, 2003 at 05:07 PM.]

We've put other folks' TBs in our own caches, and we've put our own TBs in our own caches. It seems traditional (at least around here) to start off a new cache with a TB or a geocoin or a Where's George dollar or something, whenever possible; we like the idea. icon_smile.gif Certainly, it makes more sense to put one of our own TBs, rather than some poor stranger's Bug, in a cache that is a three-step multi (that requires collecting info along the way to fill out the co-ordinates) with a four-five mile RT in an undeveloped park with no shade! And whenever we do maintenance on one of our caches, a "traveler" of some sort goes in. It adds to the value of the find for the next person. There is no self-promotion in this for us, and I doubt that there is for most cache-hiders

So many caches; so few pairs of decent shoes