Who are the Admin/Approvers?

Jomarac5

I have asked this question so that users of the forums will know if they are discussing topics with an Admin. Obviously, Admin will have more influence as they are representatives of the website and it's policies. They will also have more insight regarding the current guidelines/rules.

So far I've determined that the following are admin:

- ncflyers

- moun10bike

- mtn-man

- erik88l-r

- iryshe

- wicacher

- quadexplorer

- gpsfun

- brokenwing

- honeychile

- 9key

- mr. gigabyte

- glnash

- hydee

- Davros

Feel free to add admin members that you know of or I've missed.

Edit: added to list

-----

[This message was edited by Jomarac5 on March 11, 2003 at 11:36 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

You can tell admins from the rest, because all of us admins have clever avatars.

Which is how we can tell you are NOT an admin icon_smile.gif

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

* Moss Trooper, Monz, and The Great Seth! are no longer admins.

* I've not heard of quadexplorer

* Add glnash

As Mopar has said previously, we are volunteers.

We're cachers just like you.

From reading threads similar to this one it seems that there is some confusion about geocaching.com and Groundspeak. I don't wan't to speak for Jeremy, but Groundspeak is the company that 'runs' geocaching.com.

Admins are not employees of geocaching.com or Groundspeak.

The nasty emails and posted threads make you wonder why anyone would volunteer for such a job.

To tell you truth, I had no idea what I was in for.

Some folks are nice, but lately they're in the minority.

I doubt sometimes whether a quiet and unagited life would have suited me - yet I sometimes long for it.

Byron

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

[This message was edited by 9Key on March 11, 2003 at 07:11 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by 9Key:

The nasty emails and posted threads make you wonder why _anyone_ would volunteer for such a job.

To tell you truth, I had no idea what I was in for.

Some folks _are_ nice, but lately they're in the minority.

http://www.texasgeocaching.com

It does seem like it would be a thankless job from time to time...LOL.

God bless you 9Key, and all the others who contribute such an important function to keep our little activity humping along...

(Note to self: Be NICE to the admins, sheesh, what were you thinking????)

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

9Key had no trouble approving my cache.(Thanks 9Key). I described the area and even mentioned that the nearest cache is about a 1/2 mile hike from it.

Makes me wonder what is so hard about getting approval that all those people have to post flames...

--------------------------------------------

This signature line intentionally left blank

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

9Key had no trouble approving my cache.(Thanks 9Key). I described the area and even mentioned that the nearest cache is about a 1/2 mile hike from it.

Makes me wonder what is so hard about getting approval that all those people have to post flames...

--------------------------------------------

You are right on! In many cases the cache is archived until futher explanation can be given. Approver may need something verified, changed, whatever the case may be. And yes, there are some cases where a cache just cannot be approved. But if you reply via email to that approver they will explain. And if you are nice to them, they will explain nicely.

You can catch a lot more bees with honey than vinegar. icon_smile.gif

We’ve only placed 13 caches - 1 virtual, 12 physical. But we’ve never had approval trouble. If we did, we would send an email back to the approver, explaining more details of the cache.

I (J.) think the whining is part of our culture, that we’ve gotten used to everyone telling us, since little kids, that we are all “important, okay just the way we are, everything we did gets a ‘great job!’ reply”.... I have seen no-find logs that read as if it was impossible for the cache to still be there if this person couldn’t find it.

I won’t be all suck-uppy and say that all approvers do a great job 100% of the time, but the truth is, the job is done great such a vast majority of the time, that I don’t feel the need to argue for change, or to be all ‘complainy’ if a cache of ours is not immediately approved.

-J

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

does it matter really?

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

Not saying it really matters. Just they change your name from Geocacher to Charter Member when you sign up to support the site. So why not change that to Administrator when you take it one step further and work for the site. SilverRubicon

With the beating the admins are taking lately in other threads, I wanted to take a second to say thanks. I don't want to mention names, because I don't remember seeing here often in the forums, but I just wanted to publicly thank my approver for the quick approval of my event cache. I submitted it, went out for a couple hours, came back and not only was it approved, but it already had a note posted from someone coming to the event. It's a cleanup for the cache-in trash-out for earth day event Jeremy brought up in this forum. Anyone in central PA interested in helping out can come here and post a note.

Just because you're paranoid DOESN'T mean they're not ALL out to get you.

quote:
Originally posted by 9Key:

* I've not heard of quadexplorer

He is (or was an admin) from Klamath Falls. I don't think he's been active in 6 months or more. He put out some of the most interesting and puzzling caches I've ever seen. Like nailing an altoids tin 20 feet up a telephone pole, or in the courtyard in the middle of a retirement home.

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

AFTER 9Key approved my latest virtual, he sent a note asking if it was necessary to have yet another virtual cache in Downtown Dallas.

I sent him a note in reply kinda saying something along the lines about how my virtual was worth more historically and had an enthusiast attraction that a lot of the crap virtuals in the city didn't.

(I was just perterbed by the number of virtuals that took you to a winged horse which may or may not have been there because someone moved it to another part of the city. First horsey, fine. Numbers 16 and up gotta go. I'm exaggerating now, but that's how I felt.)

I also was admittedly a little jealous 'cause I asked Jeremy long ago about being a regional approver and he said he'd contact me. Felt jilted. I also had no idea how bad the virtual cache situation was. I ALSO felt like as a relative 'old timer' I deserved a little more faith by the approvers that I wasn't placing just a dumb virtual.

So, 9Key, I'm sorry for firing back a stern, critical reply to your comments. There is no way in the world I would have the time or patience to deal with the crap you gotta put up with. Thanks for taking up the job of approver.

Most of all, thanks for approving my virtual!! icon_biggrin.gif

VF

---------------

burnout.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

If I were an approver I would only allow caches, placed in the woods that required at least a mile hike.

That's funny, because it appears that fewer than 50% of the 53 caches you've found over the past two years fit that description. But whatever ...

That mile would be the one-way distance, I hope ...

(All the admins. I've heard of have already been named.)

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

That's funny, because it appears that fewer than 50% of the 53 caches you've found over the past two years fit that description. But whatever ...

...this would seem to make his statement more informed than it would be, had he only done mile-hike-through-woods caches.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

If I were an approver I would only allow caches, placed in the woods that required at least a mile hike.

That mile would be the one-way distance, I hope ...

Why don't you check the caches I have placed?

I have visited all the caches within a sixty mile radius of my house with a few exceptions that are surrounded by private land.

I can't dictate where other people place their caches, but I wish I could. icon_eek.gif

I am sorry you did not have something more interesting to do than review all 53 of my finds. icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SilverRubicon:

Why don't the admin have a special symbol or name that appears next to their regular name so it is obvious they are admin. Or just change where it normally says Geocacher or Charter Member to Admin. SilverRubicon

Thanks SilverRubicon. There are some who get it.

-----

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

Why require this of admins? Do you want an @ as in IRC? What value does it serve?

Obviously, Admin will have more influence as they are representatives of the website and it's policies. They will also have more insight regarding the current guidelines/rules.

-----

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

Why require this of admins? Do you want an @ as in IRC? What value does it serve?

How many times does it need to be said?

Obviously, Admin will have more influence as they are representatives of the website and it's policies. They will also have more insight regarding the current guidelines/rules.

-----

I think what Jiffy does get and you seem not to have yet, is that except when it comes to cache approval (a VERY small part of what gets discussed in the forums, usually) the approvers do not have any more influence or insight into the workings of geocaching.com then any OTHER cacher of the same experience level. Jeremy had gone far above and beyond in listening to what the geocaching public at large wants on HIS website. Most of the changes and rules I've seen (and I've been following this place since back in 2000 when there were only a few hundred caches in the whole world) so far have come about because of ideas and suggestions right here in the forums by average geocachers.

Maybe we should require the top 10 finders and the top 10 hiders in each region have some sort of ID next to their name, because those guys probably have MORE insight into the general subject of geocaching, since they get to go out and actually cache, instead of being stuck home weekends approving new caches.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

Obviously, Admin will have more influence as they are representatives of the website and it's policies.

Ha! Yeah, maybe. Someday ask me why I'm no longer an admin. Influence...ha!

- Seth!

(BTW, I like your avatar jomarac5)

icon_geocachingwa.gif