Inventive Page

Duc996

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

I only wish there can be two versions as something like this is a pain on a lower-end PDA like my m105.

You shouldn't need two versions. You need legal HTML (and my experience shows that's a minority of the geocaching pages that get 'cute' with the html) and tools that know how to read the GPX descriptions correctly.

After all, the would POINT of these markup languages like HTML and XML is to separate markup from data, making it possible to render it sensibly on anything from a cell fone up.

As a web developer, I don't design pages for combined onscreen and pda use. I design two sites, either dynamically using templates or static -- one for each purpose. Graphics and formatting are distinctly different for pda use. Since this site caters to onscreen viewing and printing that is what I build my pages to look best for.

The only solution to this (unless the site removes graphic images and html for pda downloads specifically), is not to use any graphic elements.

My objection isn't to graphics themselves; it's to someone embedding critical text inside a jpg and not providing enough text to make the cache findable without it. Even someone whipping through the offending sheets in "printer friendly" mode will be hosed when seeking a few of these.

There are a few caches that you just can't do without pictures (a couple in Louisville come to mind) and there are a lot of caches that can benefit from well designed pretty pictures, but very very few cache pages should *require* the associated graphics. That's my beef - a lot of these "inventive" focus so hard on being pretty inside IE that they forget that many folks don't carry IE into the field with them.

quote:
robertlipe wrote:

My objection isn't to graphics themselves; it's to someone embedding critical text inside a jpg and not providing enough text to make the cache findable without it.

I agree. One page that is listed above does just this and then it takes you off of the site for instructions (which also has all text embedded in a graphic). I must say however, that the graphics on that page are quite good. I always copy and paste the printer friendly pages to my pda and this page would be a problem.

quote:
there are a lot of caches that can benefit from well designed pretty pictures, but very very few cache pages should *require* the associated graphics.
I agree. But done well, they do look nice with a few good graphics, don't they?

Jomarac5 and I are agreeing that pretty pictures are nice and he clearly identified one of the potentially problematic example cache pages that I was talking about without actually calling it out by name.

So if there's a punchline to this, I think it's "feel free to use legal HTML techniques to adorn the page, but please don't go so overboard with it that you impede the usefulness of the cache page to those that are printing the pages in print friendly or jamming them in a text-only PDA or such."

The background thing is a troublesome one, but at least it's relatively benign. Since the cache page already contains a BODY tag and the cache description sits inside the "wrapper" provided by the main side and BODY tags don't nest, I have yet to see a cache page that does this that's valid HTML 4. I'm not sure that it's impossible to do this within the constraints imposed by the site, but the common approach of nesting BODYs isn't technically allowed.

Fortunately, most programs degrade gracefully on illegal code like this. (I've had to fix at least two that did not.)

quote:
Originally posted by robertlipe:

I'm not sure that it's impossible to do this within the constraints imposed by the site, but the common approach of nesting BODYs isn't technically allowed.

It depends on what the "this" is that you're ultimately trying to accomplish. See our Perfectly Perplexing Puzzles for a completely legal way to add a background image to "your" part of the cache page.

pirate.cgi.gif

Ive seen lots of cool cache pages. Its a big letdown though when they turn out to be a plastic jug thrown in the middle sagebrush and have nothing to do with the supposed "theme".

Some seem to be a cut and paste of someone elses web content as well.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Cachin's a bit sweeter when you've got an Isha!

quote:
robertlipe wrote:

I think it's "feel free to use legal HTML techniques to adorn the page, but please don't go so overboard with it that you impede the usefulness of the cache page

And please, please, if you have a sound file playing, give us a way to turn it off. icon_smile.gif

JoGPS, sorry about the d/l speed -- I'll try to make future pages load a bit faster for the "bandwidth challenged". icon_biggrin.gif

Typically, the connection speed in our area is cable or dsl so we don't worry too much about d/l time.

I just did my first 'non-vanilla' page on here, but hope it illustrates a couple things ... you can change the look to a certain extent just staying within standards (CSS in this case) and the nice thing is that the 'call out' section will degrade nicely on a pda or text browser by just showing at the top of the cache description ... a definite advantage over using graphic elements for descriptive content.

It's not gee whiz, wow type stuff, but it's offset, highlighted and plays nice on lower end browsers ...

Call Out