Best Batteries?

I recently purchased my first GPS unit- a Magellan 315- and found no recommendations for batteries. It seems to chew through the Energizers I've put in it, but those have been sitting on my shelf for years.

Before I go investing in a new pack of AA's, can anyone suggest what brand lasts longest in my unit?

/Benjamin

Carbondale, IL

Caching Newbie

They won't last as long as alkalines, but many cachers use NiMH rechargables.

In my legend, a pair of the 1800mah cells last about 8-10 hours, and I just keep a spare pair with me.

For about $20 you can get 4 AA cells and a slow charger (13-15 hours charge time). For about $35-$40 you can get a rapid charger (1 hour typical charge time).

I'll second Pneumatic's recommendation to get some NiMH rechargeables. There are lots of brands that have capacities of 1800-2100 mA-hr and these will give about the same life per charge as a set of good alkalines, but you can recharge them hundreds of times so the overall cost is much less.

quote:
Originally posted by Pneumatic:

They won't last as long as alkalines, but many cachers use NiMH rechargables.

In my legend, a pair of the 1800mah cells last about 8-10 hours, and I just keep a spare pair with me.

For about $20 you can get 4 AA cells and a slow charger (13-15 hours charge time). For about $35-$40 you can get a rapid charger (1 hour typical charge time).

I'd definitely recommend rechargable batteries. I have 2 sets for the GPSr (Garmin III+) and 2 sets for the digital camera. It is a little more expensive initially, but you will save a lot more money in the long run. Just be sure to fully charge them when you first get them. If you can afford it, I'd recommend a microprocessor controlled charger (they run between $40-$100 depending on how many and what sizes of batteries they will charge at one time). They charge the batteries very quickly and do not overcharge or overheat them which will reduce their lifespan.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

You might want to do the math regarding rechargables.

If you're a smart shopper, you can get brand-name alkalines (Duracell and Energizer) for 20 to 25 cents a piece. I stock up when they're on sale at the local supermarket.

I did the math knowing my caching habits, and figured it would take nearly a year to recover my initial investment if I bought rechargables. And in that time period, I would have pretty much cached out my area for a radius of 100 miles.

Your milage may vary, of course. I just found it hard to justify for myself.

George

I use 2 rechargable AA 1600mah for my GPS, mouse and Digi cam.

I'm looking into getting 2100mah batteries as soon as I find a good deal.

I also carry spare used ProCell batteries. Like dwiener we use them in microphones. WE only use them once though so I can get 3-4 hours from a pair on my Vista and 8-10 hours on my yellow Etrex.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

I've had good luck with Duracells but switched to using RadioShack 1800ma NiMH rechargables.

The only downside is the 'rapid charger' they came with charges either 2 or 4 batteries at a time and my Rino uses 3 AA's.

I'd definitely recommend investing in rechargables! (and keep spare alkalines in your pack - and remember rechargables tend to lose charge when stored MUCH faster than alkalines).

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

There is no such thing as "fun for the whole family." -Jerry Seinfeld

Originally posted by Rabbit 282:

I recently purchased my first GPS unit- a Magellan 315- and found no recommendations for batteries. It seems to chew through the Energizers I've put in it, but those have been sitting on my shelf for years.

Before I go investing in a new pack of AA's, can anyone suggest what brand lasts longest in my unit?{/QUOTE]

I use 2000mAH NiMi (Hama & Uniross brand) rechargeables in my Magellan 315 & Legend. I also use them in my PDA Dig Camera. I carry 8 spares for all aforementioned kit. I've yet to have a set run flat on me during a (days) hunt. The recharger was purchased here in the UK at the reaonable price of UK£15.29 (approx US$25 I think) which included 4 x 2000mAH (Uniross) cells.

The 315 will not show a 'full' battery indication when using rechrgeables because rechargeables only have a terminal voltage of 1.2V as opposed to 1.5V with alkalines etc. Don't worry though, they will go on and on .....

"Fear is temporary, regret is permanent!"

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

[This message was edited by Motley Crew on May 26, 2003 at 04:21 PM.]

A good set of NiMH rechargables, without a doubt. Spend a little extra and get yourself a 'smart' charger that keeps the cells topped-up between uses (that way, you just leave the batteries in the charger when you aren't using them and know that they'll always be 100% at the start of any outing). As previously mentioned, you should always carry a spare charged set of NiMH batteries with you (in addition to the ones in your GPSr). I'm also in the habit of keeping a reserve 'only to be used in an emergency' 4-pack of regular Duracell alkalines tucked away in the bottom of my GPSr goodie bag 'just in case'.

Some GPSr's allow you to set the battery type so the level indicator will be more accurate. I used to have a 315, but I don't remember if it could of not. If you use NiMH cells, they are the same voltage as NiCad cells if your GPSr lists NiCad battery type.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

i use Powerex rechargables. i have a bunch of them, and a smart charger. i also have a little handy case that carries 4 extras just in case. love them. i have two young children, and we use AAs and AAAs soooo much. i would go broke buying batteries for gameboy, hess trucks, flashlights, racetracks... and GPSrs!!!

robbie

wings_flag.gif

A family that Geocaches together... eventually gets wet.

required reading

My first bible

NiMh rechargeables are the way to go. I use Powerex 2000mah (they now have 2200mah) and get the same run time in my Rino 120 as Duracells. Don't skimp on the charger, cheap ones will burn the batteries up prematurely. My charger is a Maha MH-C401FS. A few sites for further research:

Lots of info www.candlepowerforums.com

Battery review http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

battery/charger source www.thomas-distributing.com

About the Duracell Vs. Energizer thing...I have bench tested: alkalines, and NiMh from the two companies.

I was non-biased during the tests over a period of time...and I found that the Energizer batterys lasted the longest over the Duracell.

(test done relating to my R/C car hobby)

Hope this helps,

geeyo

Absolutely use NiMh batteries and carry spares. I use a black 35mm film canister with the gray lid and put 2 AA's in it. + up for charged, - up for dead.

I once had some batteries in my pocket(before using the above system) and somehow my keys completed a circuit. I had a hotpocket that you couldn't eat.

"It's free advice and worth every cent."

Well I have gone through a lot of batteries in my RC Cars, and other various electronic devices. I have found the best Alkaline battery is the Duracell Ultra. If you look for sales, or buy in bulk, the price is comparable to normal Alkaline.

I am looking for 2 sets of rechargeable Lithium Ions for my uses. I have not been successful in my search. I have not been happy with the results from various cell phones over the years with NMH. I see them as needing to be replaced within 2 years of use. Currently my cell phone and laptop use Li-Ion, and both are over 2 years old with no sign of battery degradation. So until I find Lithium Ion, I will keep using my Alkaline.

I just got back from a camping trip where I used my Vista with 1 set of batteries for the whole trip. I know I used at least 5 hours of hiking/traveling, and inadvertently left the unit on overnight in my tent. The overnight was a good waste of 7 hours. Upon arriving home, my Vista still had 1/2 battery indicated.

Paul

quote:
Originally posted by dwiener:

Duracells have the longest life. Thats what we use at work for wireless microphones. Procell brand is the same as duracell.

The film crew from "COPS" was the first place I saw Procell batteries, and they changed them at the begining and middle of the tour.

I've used rechargeabe flashlights for years (20 years on 4-12) but found there was no warning when the light would go dead. It went from bright to dead in a few seconds, where conventional batteries would make the light brown/orange as it died. Are the new NiMH any better?

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Henny Youngman (1906 - 1998)icon_cool.gif

I found that investing in a 12 volt power supply to sit beside my PC and always using the power cable in the car has made battery life a non-issue. All my downloads/uploads of maps, waypoints, tracks etc. and in-car autorouting are done while under external power. All the batteries ever have to do is receive the sat signals and point me to the caches.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

quote:
but found there was no warning when the light would go dead. It went from bright to dead in a few seconds, where conventional batteries would make the light brown/orange as it died. Are the new NiMH any better?

no! when they go out.. they go out fast. same with lithium. no brown down... they just die. i will never go back to a conventional maglite though. i work nights and carry a streamlight stinger, and a little streamlight scorpion lithium in my pocket. i look back at the conventional "d" mag lites and laugh.

robbie

wings_flag.gif

A family that Geocaches together... eventually gets wet.

required reading

My first bible

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

You might want to do the math regarding rechargables.

If you're a smart shopper, you can get brand-name alkalines (Duracell and Energizer) for 20 to 25 cents a piece. I stock up when they're on sale at the local supermarket.

I did the math knowing my caching habits, and figured it would take nearly a year to recover my initial investment if I bought rechargables. And in that time period, I would have pretty much cached out my area for a radius of 100 miles.

Your milage may vary, of course. I just found it hard to justify for myself.

George

You can get a 48 pack of Maxell AA's for about 0.17 at Circuit City, free shipping! Link

I've had the old D mag light which I used rechargeable batteries in and then had a stream light and rechargable mag. I now carry a Stinger XT. Best thing is it is always with me day and night for those times when you need a light. I also have a 2 million CP Coleman spotlight I keep in the car.

Back to batteries. Walgreens has Energizer NiMH rechargables, 2 AA or AAA for $5 after rebate and a charger for same for $13 after rebate. Is this a good deal?

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Henny Youngman (1906 - 1998)icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

I found that investing in a 12 volt power supply to sit beside my PC and always using the power cable in the car has made battery life a non-issue. All my downloads/uploads of maps, waypoints, tracks etc. and in-car autorouting are done while under external power. All the batteries ever have to do is receive the sat signals and point me to the caches.

Cheers, Olar

_"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"_

what do you use for a 12v supply? all i did was add a cig lighter end to an old cordless phone adapter (12v@200mA) and plug in my power/data cable.

as for the batteries, i used to use the kodak alaklines from walmart (16~$10 can) but now i use the enigerizer from my local supermarket(12~$8), got them in a 8+4 bonus pack on sale.

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'

You guys in the USA are very fortunate, not only do you have great savings on GPS units( I bought my legend in a target store in Orlando for $190 ...... the same model in the Uk is around $350) but you also have great deals on batteries too ....... about two thirds the uk price.

Pepperpot

Pepperpot is actually my dog, she's a miniature schnauzer that comes on all our cache hunts.