Release Notes (Website: New geocache and trackable logging flow) - November 2, 2023

On 11/16/2023 at 2:23 AM, barefootjeff said:

Edit to add: Are you really reporting problems that often that the extra step of composing a detailed NM log is too much? From 1749 finds and 182 DNFs over nearly 11 years, I've logged 29 NMs (OARs) and 11 NAs (RARs), an average of about 4 NM/NA a year.

For sure I'm reporting more problems than many other geocachers. I've seen many logs has found and I know they didn't find and so, they don't report any problems. Also I know there are many geocachers that don't log DNFs (I log all).

I've just checked my log statistics...

Joined GeoCaching 7 Jun 2014

11107 Founds (plus about 200 that I have to log)

659 DNFs

237 NMs

9 NAs

Many of the Nms are for logbook full, something that many don't report, they just ad a piece of paper (anything, from transport tickets to receipts from stores or cigar boxes, I saw many things).

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
On 11/16/2023 at 2:45 AM, The A-Team said:

As has been mentioned by others, the logs that come from the new method are much more meaningful and useful, rather than simply the pre-canned "something is wrong". I see it as a positive change.

I can't speak as a owner since I only have one cache and it was adopted. But if this new method permits a better understanding of what's happened to the cache, that's great. Anyway, I really think many people wont do the "extra" log, but I hope I'm wrong.;):) 

On 11/16/2023 at 8:03 PM, Pleu said:

Forcing the player to write a OAR-log that actually makes sense is a big improvement.

Forcing? Well, how that will be done? IMHO, as I said, I think many people simply wont do it. Cases of "logbook full" they just add some piece of paper, don't matter what it is. Or that "extra work" to report "logbook is wet"? ;)

• Helpful 1
26 minutes ago, Fields111 said:

Joined GeoCaching 7 Jun 2014

11107 Founds (plus about 200 that I have to log)

659 DNFs

237 NMs

9 NAs

That's still only one in 50 finds/DNFs that require an NM/NA, or about once a fortnight on average over your nine years of caching. I don't understand why it's such a burden to write an extra log for those compared to just ticking a Report a Problem box to generate a generic "A player has reported a problem with this cache" NM or NA.

OK, I have to echo the comment that the 5MB photo limitation is incredibly frustrating, especially with pretty much all smartphones taking photos larger than 5MB by default.  It means I either have to a) reduce the quality on my smartphone, b) edit the photos after I take them to compress to a smaller size or c) simply upload fewer or no photos at all to my geocaching logs.
I honestly don't want to do any of those things - it worked just fine previously?

• Upvote 9

Anytime I try to create a new list, or delete an old list I receive the error message telling me, the website is having trouble loading my list.I’m on an iPad running 16.7.2

Edit: The same happens on my newer iPad mini running 17.1.1

Thanks!

IMG_2017.jpeg

Edited by geoBirder
Additional information added.

Yep, can confirm I've not uploaded photos because I would not know how to resize them on my phone without taking a lesser quality to start with, which I won't be doing as I don't take these photos for cache logs but as a memory for myself. The 5GB limit really is somewhat s***e. And on that note will be a lot more s***e for caches where photos are a requirement, like some virtuals and ECs.

Edited by terratin
  • Upvote 6
  • Helpful 1

Is it just me or have I discovered another bug with this UI change?  Has anyone else tried to edit a reviewer note since this change?  I wanted to correct some spelling, grammar, etc on an existing reviewer note I already "saved" for an unpublished cache but couldn't.  I thought it was just me the first time but it's happened again now (grrr) on a completely different cache.

Edited by sapien

On 11/16/2023 at 6:23 PM, Wulfman_Do said:

I found two other BUGs in the new Logging Page , markdown Code formating.

See my Anouncemt here: https://coord.info/GCAF30T  /   https://coord.info/GL1B43HGQ

In the log window  i wrote  "Tischtennisplatte"   then i marked it with the mouse and clicked on B for bold and the system add the two stars ** for b  in 

"**Tischtennisplatte**"

the Logpreview window showed:   "Tischtennisplatte"

after hit submit and see the Anouncement Text in the Log seection it showed:

"**Tischtennisplatte**" 

in the formated  Log and not  "Tischtennisplatte"

After i hit the  View / Edit Log / Images  Link   https://coord.info/GL1B43HGQ    the View geocache log   page shows the correct formated text.

I am confussed,   but Ok i hit  "edit Log"  to change the spelling  and to try an other typing like 

**"Tischtennisplatte"**

I have no chance to type anything in the edit Text Field,  i only can hit the submit button and submit an unedit log.

------

to get to the short URL https://coord.info/GL1B43HGQ  ( before it was shown directly in the top right ( like the Listing GC Code Link in Lisitngpages)  now i have to hit share and copy or share with Plattform  X xx xx     The Share function OK, when someone link it, ok, but why not show the  Link ( GL Code )  directly.  ??

----

Log Submit Button,   Please add a second Botton to the Top. it is very awful  everytime loginn to complete scroll down  past the  preview windows, the TB list, to submit a log.

----

23 hours ago, baer2006 said:

I can confirm this bug, and it's quite annoying. The whole point of the preview window is to see, if your formatting really does, what you think it does - especially in situations, where punctuation might get in the way of "markdown" symbols.

I'm disappointed by this "bug".

For me anyways, one of my beefs even about the old log UI was it wouldn't allow you to italicize or bold portions of a word using markdown.  You could only put the * or ** markdown codes at the beginning and end of words or phrases in order to make them work (essentially there needed to be a space before the "start" markdown and after the "end" markdown) so the whole word or phrase would get italicized or bolded.

I was happy when I tested this new GUI and saw in the preview it could italicize and bold individual letters, portions of a word.  And now you're saying it won't get put in the actual log.  How disappointing.

Hopefully this gets fixed.

Edited by sapien
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, terratin said:

I would not know how to resize them on my phone without taking a lesser quality to start with, which I won't be doing as I don't take these photos for cache logs but as a memory for myself.

Have you ever compared images that are smaller or greater than 5 MB? Phone manufacturers just bloats the default image size to fill the memory faster. I have two camera apps to make things easy - dedicated camera app for geocaching. I started this practice years ago, because Message Center was not able to resize large images. Anyway, I am not against fixing this problem, because many smart phone users doesn't have tools or skill to adjust the image size at all.

Edited by arisoft
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, sapien said:

Is it just me or have I discovered another bug with this UI change?  Has anyone else tried to edit a reviewer note since this change?  I wanted to correct some spelling, grammar, etc on an existing reviewer note I already "saved" for an unpublished cache but couldn't.  I thought it was just me the first time but it's happened again now (grrr) on a completely different cache.

It's not just you.

On 11/13/2023 at 9:18 PM, thebruce0 said:

NM logs could always be deleted

My observation is that NM logs are being deleted too often, without any justification. There is a common case where cache still has "NM" attribute, but log that caused it, doesn't exist any more. Theoretically in some cases NM log should be deleted (e.g. inapropriate language) but in practice I've never faced such case (in contrary to unjustified deletions).

That's why I think that only reviewer should be able to remove NM and NA logs, in very rare and justified cases.Cache owners don't need rights to delete them.

• Upvote 3
  • Surprised 1
3 hours ago, dadoskawina said:

My observation is that NM logs are being deleted too often, without any justification.

Some COs delete DNFs too without justification. I had one removed fairly recently because I mentioned the road guard, and they said I had made a spoiler. The coordinates took you to road guard, with very little else where the cache could be hidden. I mean no other caches have ever been hidden in road guards and who would think that a cache might be hidden in a road guard:antenna: . No one would think that, without that "spoiler" at assist, not even after finding power trails full of caches in road guards. "Spoiler":lol:...the CO had to have to be kidding  :rolleyes:

• Funny 3

I just got my first "Your log was removed" email. At first, I thought that my found it log was deleted. I had to check the cache page to find out that it was my NOA log that was deleted. The CO removed everything about the need of maintenance together the maintenance log.

It is very good that the deletion mail now contains explanation, if the CO is willing to share one, but it should also contain link to the archived log and the deleted log type would also be a nice addition.

Edited by arisoft
  • Upvote 6
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, capoaira said:

When your log was deleted without a real reason, you can contact the help center. They can also see deleted logs and can restore them. (Images goes lost on this process, I think that is a bug)

I did it a few times earlier. Yes, it worked and my logs were permanently restored.

But, while filling the relewant form, I always was asked to link the deleted log. Now it is impossible as deleted logs became unavailable to their authors.

Sometimes, if deleted logs are not so fresh, it is also hard to even remind its type and content.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 11/9/2023 at 10:28 PM, ari54321 said:

Thank you for reporting this issue of incorrect gallery dates. It appears this issue only affects images uploaded from the view log page. For now, there is a workaround: if you upload image(s) on the edit log page (open your log, select "Edit log", then drag and drop or select photos to upload), these images will have the correct date (log date, not today's date).

If you wish to correct the dates of already-uploaded images, you can delete the images and re-upload them through the edit log page. We are looking into a fix for the image upload dates. 

At least, this workaround, to upload older images via the "Edit Log" dialog was working now for me. I just tried it again for an older log of 21/06/2023 : I removed the images which were recently uploaded with the wrong date and then uploades them again. And now these images show the corrct date of the find! :D

After all, this is a progress and at least a workaround! But I still would be very happy if the manual date setting in the "edit image" dialog could be restored.

4 hours ago, capoaira said:

When your log was deleted without a real reason, you can contact the help center. They can also see deleted logs and can restore them. (Images goes lost on this process, I think that is a bug)

But note that Groundspeak will restore only deleted Find logs. DNF logs, Notes, or other logs are gone once they are deleted.

40 minutes ago, dadoskawina said:

That's not true. My last ticket related to log deletion was about DNF log. And it was restored as expected.

Huh... I could have sworn that there was a Help Center article that explained that they restore only deleted Find logs, and not DNF or other logs. But now I can't find anything to that effect in the Help Center.

9 hours ago, arisoft said:

It is very good that the deletion mail now contains explanation, if the CO is willing to share one, but it should also contain link to the archived log and the deleted log type would also be a nice addition.

The link to the deleted log used to be included in the deletion notification mail. Therefore the lack of the link is a regression bug, and I reported it already a month ago:

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/394556-bug-no-link-to-log-in-log-deletion-mail/

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1

I have a logging problem.
I use Firefox. I write the log and I get a gum when sending:

Failed to send the logo
Something was not going well. Stay on this page to maintain the text of the logo and try to send it later.

Failed to send the logo
Something was not going well. Stay on this page to maintain the text of the logo and try to send it later.

It is twice the same, I will wait to send and get the same answer (I try it 20 times and still nothing).
Only a new page load (Ctrl+R) will help, then you can send.

Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 20-40-57 Geocaching.com - Zalogovat tuto kešku.png

• Upvote 1

I can no longer adjust the date of a photo or image.

Especially with TBs, I often load a photo onto the page at a later time and I want to place it on the correct date. But I can't do this anymore.

But I also create suitable images when laying out a geocache page or an event page and I also want to be able to put them on a correct date. That is no longer possible either.

I really hope this can be adjusted again.

• Helpful 1
8 hours ago, Eric van Graveheart said:

At least, this workaround, to upload older images via the "Edit Log" dialog was working now for me. I just tried it again for an older log of 21/06/2023 : I removed the images which were recently uploaded with the wrong date and then uploades them again. And now these images show the corrct date of the find! :D

After all, this is a progress and at least a workaround! But I still would be very happy if the manual date setting in the "edit image" dialog could be restored.

I would also like to be able to adjust the date of an image.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 11/15/2023 at 12:33 AM, The A-Team said:

I found another bug. I selected the date for a log first (3 days in the past) and then selected the log type, and it reset the date back to today. By testing, it appears that any change of the log type (either from one type to another, or from blank to a log type) sets the date to today. It should only do this for the OAR or RAR log types. When setting to the other log types, there's no reason for the interface to change the date from what has been selected by the user.

Not a bug.  There is a little pin above the date.  Click that to set the date as "sticky".  In other words if you do that then as long as the browser session stays open, the date will be the same on each log (whatever date you set) until you change it manually, or until you unclick that pin.

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1

As others have said, the more I use this blasted new "logging flow" system, the more I LOATHE it!  You can no longer edit a reviewer note on an unpublished cache.  A photo can no longer be added to the gallery unless you manually resize it.  Trackables that used to be organized alphabetically in your inventory are now just haphazardly (as far as I can tell) listed so if I want to drop a specific one in a log I have to hunt and peck for it.

WHY in all that is holy, don't you just return the "opt out" on this new logging to us?!  Especially premium members that pay to support this site!  It just cannt be that keeping that old system in place would cause so much disruption or consume so many resources.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
5 hours ago, Tundra Wolf said:

Not a bug.  There is a little pin above the date.  Click that to set the date as "sticky".  In other words if you do that then as long as the browser session stays open, the date will be the same on each log (whatever date you set) until you change it manually, or until you unclick that pin.

Funny, that used to work without the little pin before.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2
On 11/17/2023 at 10:31 PM, baer2006 said:

I can confirm this bug, and it's quite annoying. The whole point of the preview window is to see, if your formatting really does, what you think it does - especially in situations, where punctuation might get in the way of "markdown" symbols.

About that, what is actually the point of the preview window? Just like when I'm writing this, there is a toolbar containing all the formatting I can think of (all that's described in "how to format"). Yet no preview is needed here? Any formatting I'm doing here is visible directly in the editing window, or I'm editing in the preview if you will. Especially for those who like me use formatting sparingly, the preview window functions only as a guarantee that I will have to scroll down to get to the post button.

I do realize that this functionality may be bought from elsewhere, and that it was the same in the good old old logging, and that there is an option to hide the preview now. Still, I have to scroll down. This is what the bottom of my screen looks like now, with collapsed preview window. A post button could easily have fit there.

logging.jpg

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1

What on earth is wrong with this image, that it won't upload to a cache log?  It's only 66 kB.  The six images before this one uploaded OK in my first experiment with this new software, but nothing* seems to work for this one.  Darnit, it's part of the story!

borked.thumb.jpg.a5443035497c698bc4a19a6b9a1a68fd.jpg

* That includes rotating 1/4 turn four times, which someone mentioned in another thread, a thread I forgot existed.  Sorry, I'm jet-lagged, brain is foggy.  I also tried a short.jpg name.  I tried drag-and-drop, I tried click and select, I tried the two places I noticed where you can upload images.

EDIT: Here is the file:  https://drive.proton.me/urls/ESP7RN8DDM#tgAballIZyKy

Edited by Viajero Perdido
info++;
13 minutes ago, arisoft said:

I guess that the image was intarnally PNG type.

It was PNG before I ran it through RawTherapee (because I'm using that for actual raw photos as well), but exported as 8-bit JPEG, quality 85.  Just confirmed, and output file type is reported via another tool (gthumb) as image/jpeg, 480 x 907, 66041 bytes.

Error handling isn't sexy, but I think it needs work.

The forum downsizing blurred the whole image a bit, but that which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

I'm having issues with incorrect logging dates. I normally log caches from my phone in the field and then edit the the logs from the PC, and that's not a problem, the date is fine. But when I log a cache or a TB from the PC for the first time using the web page, the date is always the last time I did such logs from the web page. Just did a few today and the date was two days back, when I logged some TBs after an event. How do I make that date not quite so sticky?

[Follow up, added later] Opened the page to log a TB a minute ago and the date was still two days off - and this was after manually resetting it to today's date for some logs earlier this evening!

[Follow up Follow up] HAHAHAHA I am such an idiot, I had the date pinned. I will go away now. Thanks.

Edited by The Snowdog

There is another annoying formatting bug with the new log page.

The preview indicates that "- line text here" is being converted to a bullet list, but that is not in the instructions.  I saved a log, and in the cache listing log view, it appears as expected. But when viewing the log entry directly it formats like the 'new' preview as a bullet item. That's not nice. =/

Here's how it looks.

What I'd like, as I've been doing for my logs is this format:

- This is a line of text

This is a second line of text

However while the same template text in the log is displaying correctly in the listing logs, the log view and preview block display the above as this:

• This is a line of text This is a second line of text

Yes, even losing the line break.

Hyphen shouldn't convert to a bullet. And I'm guessing that conversion to a bullet list may be the cause of the loss of the line break.

Would love to have this formatting return to what it was.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 minute ago, Pontiac_CZ said:

They use markdown in the form, right? Well, in markdown a hyphen does convert into a bullet (unordered list).

Per their own instructions:

image.thumb.png.f74efc2b105aae0ef71214e86d891506.png

...as well as per log formatting up to this point, as well as per the log display view that hasn't changed in the cache listings, a hyphen should not convert to a bullet.

If they're changing that too, then it's another visual esthetic change that's going to bugger up years of past log displays, again. :(

I use "* " to make a bullet list. I use "- " when I don't want a bullet list.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I like the new (it's new, right?) encouragement to add name and description to photos.

Given that, would it be possible to have the pop-up viewer for photos on TB logs actually show that text?  Should be easy, right?

EDIT: I found a new viewer, somewhat hidden.  Click "Visit log", then click the medium-sized image you see (not the arrow), and there's a nice large-ish popup viewer that does show the commentary as well.  I like that, but it's not very discoverable.  But my suggestion stands for when you click an image directly on the TB's main page.

EDIT #2:  Could this new image viewer be brought out to the main cache page, as well as the main TB page as I've already groused about?  I like this viewer a lot, already.  Bigger images!  Once you're satisfied it's bug-free, please please please...  (And for completeness' sake, images uploaded to the cache page (not a log) have never had a pop-up viewer as far as I can remember.)

3 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

I like the new (it's new, right?) encouragement to add name and description to photos.

Not new, or at least it was that way in the "opt out" logging. I.e. you could add name and description, don't remember if it was encouraged to the same degree.

• Upvote 1
On 11/20/2023 at 8:03 AM, Tundra Wolf said:

I think you misunderstood. This isn't a matter of the sticky pin functionality, where the initial date can be "stuck" for future logs. The issue I described is that I can choose a date from the selector (regardless of what date the page opened to initially), change the log type, and it resets the date I selected back to today. If I select a date, the interface shouldn't undo that, except if I select the log types that force the date (OAR or RAR).

FWIW, selecting the date, pinning it, and then changing the log type does retain the selected date, but that's a workaround at best. It shouldn't be necessary to select the date, pin it, change the log type, then unpin the date.

• Helpful 3
On 11/19/2023 at 8:43 PM, Solim said:

I have a logging problem.
I use Firefox. I write the log and I get a gum when sending:

Failed to send the logo

Failed to send the logo

It is twice the same, I will wait to send and get the same answer (I try it 20 times and still nothing).
Only a new page load (Ctrl+R) will help, then you can send.

Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 20-40-57 Geocaching.com - Zalogovat tuto kešku.png

This just happened to me too. In English rather than Czech, but otherwise exactly the same. Copied the log test and went back to the cache listing to see if it had been posted anyway, but it had not. Tried to post again, and then it worked. Latest Brave browser. This was an OM log, in case that matters.postal.thumb.jpg.32a06863dac2607a5ac14493782d9fed.jpg

Edited by ChriBli

I found another couple of bugs with the image uploading.

I was attempting to upload some images to a cache listing, and the interface was giving errors for many of the images. These are simple JPG images that aren't big in dimension or file size, so I have no idea why they're being rejected. The underlying upload code seems to have some overly-stringent restrictions on it, but gives no feedback to the user regarding why the image can't be uploaded. Things need to be tweaked there to either be more lenient, or at least give the user some info that they can use to resolve the issue. An example of an image that I can't upload is a 10KB, 600x200 file, created by pasting an image into Paint and saving as a JPG, which should be "clean" of any odd metadata. Heck, even a simple hand-drawn smiley in Paint and saved as a JPG is failing to upload. Something is really wrong with the upload function. NOTE: As I was typing this up, I decided to try uploading these same images to a cache log, and they all upload fine. It seems like it's specifically the cache listing image upload feature that has a major issue.

That isn't even what I was originally going to report.

In an attempt to work around the error above, I attempted something that Viajero Perdido mentioned: rotating the image. By doing this, it did allow the images to upload. However, I discovered that the rotate and flip functions are misleading. In the upload interface, you can click these buttons multiple times and they progressively rotate or flip the preview image, implying that you can flip/unflip or rotate 180/270/360. However, once you upload, the resulting image reflects a single action of the rotate/flip buttons. For example, if you click the "Rotate 90" button twice to rotate 180 degrees, the result will only be rotated 90 degrees and not match the preview that had been displayed. Likewise, if you click the "Flip horizontal" button twice to flip and then flip back, the result will be flipped once horizontally.

These functions should either be updated to perform the action multiple times according to what's being shown to the user in the preview, or be changed to toggles to indicate their "single-action" function (in which case the preview image code would also need to be updated to reflect this).

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
On 11/19/2023 at 4:42 AM, Eric van Graveheart said:

This wasn't working before, but I see that it is now. I guess this issue has quietly been fixed, and I now wonder what else might have been changed too.

I’m really struggling with uploading photos now, not just on logs but also on new cache pages. I was half way through setting up a new series of caches when the update occurred and I’m pulling my hair out trying to upload some spoiler photos to the gallery. After downloading two apps to resize photos I now have another error. ‘A problem occurred while saving the image. Please try again’. I have, repeatedly! 

IMG_5894.png

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 11/5/2023 at 2:43 AM, ChriBli said:

After painstakingly selecting, installing and configuring a parallel browser of more recent version, just to be able to log my geocaches, I notice the new max limit for number of images per log (20). I am predictably disappointed.

Bug concerning image handling in logs (already uploaded images):

The restriction to max. 20 images per log also affects all old logs. I realized this bug today.

On my attended log at Giga-Event "Project Glück Auf 2022" I uploaded 34 images to those impressive Giga Event.

Unfortunately on the new log page (also for editing logs and images) all images above no. 20 are hidden / not visible (image no. 21-34).

For example I uploaded images of Lackey Chris and Lackey Marty who I met and spoke to on the Giga. This images are still listed in the gallery, including the group image with the Lackeys and Community Volunteer Reviewers  and the photo of the Giga closing session.

There is no possibility anymore for me to edit such "greater than no. 20" images:

How can the image title or image description be corrected?

How can one single image be deleted, without deleting the whole log and creating a new log with uploading all other images again (which affects the log sequence / milestones within that day)?

The images are still linked to the correct corresponding log in the database: When I click on the "view log" of each image, my log is opened (e.g. Chris, Marty, Reviewers, Closing Session).

It would be fine, to only restrict the number of newly uploaded images to 20, but allowing the log page to load all old already uploaded images.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 2