Wheel of Challenges

10 minutes ago, MacPacFamily said:

As someone who lives in New Zealand and our date changes over before the USA, so I am rather peeved, as I went out on our 1st of May, at considerable effort to get a couple of caches for the current favourite wheel of challenges. Because it wasn't 1st of May in the USA they haven't counted. I tried to make them register by changing the date to 2nd May but that hasn't worked because they were 1st registered on 30th April on Groundspeak's servers. I was trying to follow the rules but they should allow for local time zones.

Did you wait till after noon UTC?

15 hours ago, MacPacFamily said:

As someone who lives in New Zealand and our date changes over before the USA, so I am rather peeved, as I went out on our 1st of May, at considerable effort to get a couple of caches for the current favourite wheel of challenges. Because it wasn't 1st of May in the USA they haven't counted. I tried to make them register by changing the date to 2nd May but that hasn't worked because they were 1st registered on 30th April on Groundspeak's servers. I was trying to follow the rules but they should allow for local time zones.

Can you delete your logs and re-log with a May 1 date?

On 5/2/2023 at 1:29 AM, Gill & Tony said:

Is this the only souvenir you can earn without leaving home?

As long as you place a cache at your home that earns 20 FPs during one month. Or have a home huge enough to place more than one cache there and have them earn 20 FPs total. Not an easy thing.

But yes, I already have the easy level without a single "Found it" logged, having received 3 FPs on my caches during last week. If your question is "is it the only souvenir that you can earn without finding caches", then no. There were at least Hider 2022 and Hider 2023 souvenirs.

On 4/25/2023 at 5:45 PM, MartyBartfast said:

It's good that we're back to using the leaderboard to keep track of progress, and also good that COs are being rewarded by getting points for receiving FPs too.

It's about time! Usually all about finding, but they have to be placed, to be found! Glad to see CO's can get some reward too!

From today's blog post:

Out and About (June Wheel of Challenges)

Out and About! This challenge is all about seeing how many days you can get outside and find a geocache. From June 5–July 2, you have the chance to earn three new souvenirs for easy, medium, or hard levels of the challenge.

Earn the easy souvenir for this month by logging a find on five different days. Earn the medium souvenir for this month by logging a find on ten different days. Earn the hard souvenir for this month by logging a find on 20 different days.

Challenge yourself to get outside, explore the outdoors, and earn some new souvenirs!

Tune in again on June 27 to find out what the fourth challenge will be. Share your Wheel of Challenges geocaching outings on social media using #WheelOfChallenges!

Read our Wheel of Challenges announcement blog post for FAQs and more information about the souvenir challenge.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
On 3/21/2023 at 10:46 PM, JL_HSTRE said:

(...)

Back in 2013, 31 Days of Caching was effectively impossible for me because I had a coast-to-coast round-trip via airplane. Also, August challenges are hell if you live in places like Florida or Arizona. 

(...)

I did most of that particular streak in August 2013 during a yachting trip from Germany to Denmark and Sweden. One in every harbour! :D

• Funny 1
1 hour ago, LySt said:

It's a matter of wording it seems - one doesn't have to find a cache per day, just log one to follow the rules for this challenge? I'm not a native speaker so I may be missing some subtext...

I noticed that too. I suspect it was intentionally worded that way. 

6 hours ago, baer2006 said:

There is no difference - you log a find with the same day you actually find the cache. Anything else (like, say, distributing the logs for 10 finds from a Sunday evenly across the whole following week) is cheating.

And how much of this will go on do you think? :)

9 hours ago, LySt said:

It's a matter of wording it seems - one doesn't have to find a cache per day, just log one to follow the rules for this challenge? I'm not a native speaker so I may be missing some subtext...

Finding a power trail then logging one Find per day is certainly an effective way to maintain a streak. :ph34r:

Edited by JL_HSTRE
  • Funny 1
2 hours ago, Team Canary said:
5 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Finding a power trail then logging one Find per day is certainly an effective way to maintain a streak. :ph34r:

Few of those around!

It wouldn't have to be a big numbers trail like the one on the ET Highway (which could be used to keep a supposed streak going for YEARS). A hiking trail in a big park could easily have a couple dozen caches, enough for the 20 days needed for the recent hard challenge when the actual Find logs are spread out over time this way.

3 hours ago, niraD said:

It wouldn't have to be a big numbers trail like the one on the ET Highway (which could be used to keep a supposed streak going for YEARS). A hiking trail in a big park could easily have a couple dozen caches, enough for the 20 days needed for the recent hard challenge when the actual Find logs are spread out over time this way.

I meant logging one a day to maintain a streak.

On 5/30/2023 at 2:08 PM, JL_HSTRE said:

Good to see it's not a streak-based challenge. 

Technically it's not a streak. It's just up to any 20 days within the challenge period.

16 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Theoretically someone could choose to place a small powertrail or series in their area for others to find to publish in June - no one will have found them, so everyone can willingly pick them off one by one for as many days as needed.

On 6/1/2023 at 4:10 PM, thebruce0 said:

Technically it's not a streak. It's just up to any 20 days within the challenge period.

Technically it's indeed getting close - if, after a series of five labcache waypoint finds over the week, you notice on Friday that none of them has been counted (and there's no easy souvenir awarded), you have 23 days left to fix that.

Since it's now also important to have the LC finds assigned to different dates: Which timezone will be used for dating the LC find? Will we Europeans all become afternoon cachers, to have our logs registered between UTC noon and local midnight?

For "normal" GC's, we'll be afternoon log writers, for sure...

• Upvote 3
13 minutes ago, LySt said:

Since it's now also important to have the LC finds assigned to different dates: Which timezone will be used for dating the LC find? Will we Europeans all become afternoon cachers, to have our logs registered between UTC noon and local midnight?

For "normal" GC's, we'll be afternoon log writers, for sure...

We're keen to know for sure here in Australia too.... will we have a leaderboard to assess what days have been counted?? We'll be using the odd local AL location, so we'll be night caching I'd say.....

Week of 05-06-2023 

Your individual point total
About scoring

See more

Time remaining

• 06DAYS
  • :
  • 22HRS
  • :
  • 59MINS

THE LEADERBOARD WILL RESET TO ZERO ON MONDAY AT NOON UTC.

Edited by Lowin
Wanting to add extra text..

My leaderboard has "reset" for the new challenge, however, as you can see above, it says week of 5th June, and gives remaining time in less than 7 days. Thought we had the four weeks to complete this? Do we have to get x number of finds per week?

6 minutes ago, Lowin said:

My leaderboard has "reset" for the new challenge, however, as you can see above, it says week of 5th June, and gives remaining time in less than 7 days. Thought we had the four weeks to complete this? Do we have to get x number of finds per week?

The leaderboard often resets each week.

• Upvote 1

How about, let's give it a day - almost every time something new happens that takes place worldwide, somewhere someone will say it's screwed up, usually from various timezones :P

If there is a legitimate bug, it'll get fixed, and almost certainly any qualifying actions taken during the 'buggy time' will still be counted.

5 hours ago, LySt said:

Technically it's indeed getting close - if, after a series of five labcache waypoint finds over the week, you notice on Friday that none of them has been counted (and there's no easy souvenir awarded), you have 23 days left to fix that.

Well first off, it'd be good to check each day, if you're really concerned about it counting, especially considering how little wiggle room you may feel there is with this one. Secondly, "indeed getting close" doesn't make it a streak. Of course, 20 days out of 28 days means there will effectively be at least some streaks, but the requirement is not "20 consecutive days". And if you're not confident ALs will count, then back those days up with an actual geocache find. Or, if you find logging immediately isn't working, then find the caches but log them (for the proper dates) next week, or at the end of the month. You don't have to technically log your finds on the same day that you find the cache - as long as the log is dated correctly.

Guaranteed win: You could rack up 20+ days of geocache finds and log'em all on the last day of the month, when you know any technical kinks have been worked out. And if you can demonstrate that you logged them correctly and still didn't get the souvenir, then that's a bug I'm sure they will correct for you, because you can demonstrate you absolutely did follow instructions and complete the task.

Just enjoy the spirit of the challenge :)

6 hours ago, Gelladir said:

Also the "About Scoring" window has nothing to do with the actual task this month.

From the orginal blog post about the Wheel of Challenges:

Each challenge will begin on the first Monday of the month. For challenges that involve the Leaderboard, those challenges will begin on the first Monday of the month at noon UTC.

Only some of the challenges use the leaderboard, like last month's one that was points-based. The first one didn't and the current one doesn't, so the leaderboard just drops back to its default weekly mode when it's not being used in a promotion.

• Upvote 3

All the lackeys are apparently busy defining "day" in a world-compatible way at the moment, so the algorithm fell back to what it was like in non-challenge times. (It must have had a hard time doing so yesterday, as I couldn't get a single complete cache or search result page, all were missing the content of the top green bar and perhaps more.)

It was already announced that the leaderboard wouldn't be useful for the current challenge, wasn't it?

(Being 2 hours off UTC and not doing ALCs at night right now I only see correct dates for my "completions" of individual waypoints, so it seems that ALCs get assigned the local timezone's date of correctly answering the question. Whether this is also true for normal cache logs, and what would happen if I accidentally postpone logging today's find until tomorrow in whatever timezone - I don't know.)

7 minutes ago, LySt said:

It was already announced that the leaderboard wouldn't be useful for the current challenge, wasn't it?

Why though? Was it not possible to make a daily find counter? 

I suppose we find out on day 5 if all is going to plan?? :)

• Funny 1
16 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Well first off, it'd be good to check each day

[...]

You don't have to technically log your finds on the same day that you find the cache - as long as the log is dated correctly.

Guaranteed win: You could rack up 20+ days of geocache finds and log'em all on the last day of the month, when you know any technical kinks have been worked out. And if you can demonstrate that you logged them correctly and still didn't get the souvenir, then that's a bug I'm sure they will correct for you, because you can demonstrate you absolutely did follow instructions and complete the task.

(1) It'd be nice if one could. The leaderboard not reflecting recent finds has been discussed above...

(2) I'm not so sure - as the wording suggests that you have to "log a find on ${n} different days", which is ambiguous in the sense that it can mean "log on ${n} different days" or "find on ${n} different days and log". Since also the meaning of "day" has some extra ambiguity, there's a non-zero chance of frustration, and while bugs usually are fixed (and compensated for), accepting some "perceived misbehaviour" as "bug" may take a while and is not guaranteed to succeed.

Given the current rather insecure situation (you may also call it the "volatile spirit of the challenge" if you like), I'll rather play safe - while of course watching Genevieve's announcement for possible changes/additions. (Is there another place to watch for updates?)

@Hüghjust ran the checker after having logged a find yesterday night - it shows 0/20 still :/ - does it "quantize" (i.e., only show 5, 10 or 20 when reached)?

@lee737"the blog post" you're referring to must be another one than "Get ready for the third challenge of Wheel of Challenges!", would you mind to share a link?

4 minutes ago, LySt said:

I have that page open but can't see a single comment.

Me too. What sort of cookie or the like needs to be allowed to see those comments? I'm basically only blocking trackers and disabling that does not show the comments. I'm using Vivaldy as browser. I also get no comments with an untampered Firefox.

For a long time I thought they disabled comments completely which I remember were present in the past.

3 hours ago, LySt said:

@Hüghjust ran the checker after having logged a find yesterday night - it shows 0/20 still :/ - does it "quantize" (i.e., only show 5, 10 or 20 when reached)?

I think the debugging output wants to tell me that this particular log is missing,

Got profile name, xxx
... log entries found 
Included ... of ... Lab Caches
Excluding, GC1xxxx (a cache that allowed to be logged twice more than 10 years ago and always caused trouble with statistics)
...1 log entries considered
Testing: Wheel of Challenges (June) — Out and About
0 found FAILED

(numbers trimmed down for reasons) I know that the last log got me to ...3 found logs (of which ...2 belong to unique caches).

In the checker FAQ I find

Normally, your new logs will exist in Project-GC within 24-36 hours.

Got to wait a bit longer... (I guess I might be awarded the first, 5-day, souvenir before the checker notices my 4th log...)

Update re the idea of logging after some time: 

this still seems to be unresolved...

Edited by LySt
FAQ found; bug possibly affecting delayed logs