Reputable On-line Canadian Stores

McKenzie Clan

GPSCentral.ca is definitely highly recommended. I got my GPS V Deluxe from them. They shipped the day I ordered and my GPS was waiting for me at work when I got in at 930am the next day. Of course, I paid $15 for FedEx priority. I also bought Travel bugs from them and got them in time. Their prices are pretty good too. What more can I say?

You all may not believe this, but the best deals to be had are on Ebay.

I purchased a Legend for $ 225 delivered to my door.

Now, I know I was extremely lucky throughout the transaction, but here's how it happened.

I bought it for $ 145 US. I sent the guy in Georgia a money order by regular mail. It took forever to get there but it finally arrived and I got my GPS in a sealed package.

Now, here's a few things I learned. Make sure it's a reputable vendor. Send your payment by registered mail or whatever requires a signature so you can prove delivery.

I know now that I could have got burned badly, but it all worked out in the end.

Even though you enter the wrong waypoint....you're still in the right spot!

We bought a gps from gpscentral. I could not have asked for a better transaction. I orderd it monday morning and it arrived the next day(I only paid for the regular dilivery too). Also, b/c the store is based in Alberta you will not have to pay for any provincial sales tax (still have to pay for GST).

While this might not be the absolute cheapest place to buy (much cheaper than any local stores around here), they have a good reputation.

EmmaBean

"dadgum the Man. Save the Empire."

quote:
Originally posted by Taxman003:

You all may not believe this, but the best deals to be had are on Ebay.

I purchased a Legend for $ 225 delivered to my door.

Now, I know I was extremely lucky throughout the transaction, but here's how it happened.

I bought it for $ 145 US. I sent the guy in Georgia a money order by regular mail. It took forever to get there but it finally arrived and I got my GPS in a sealed package.

Now, here's a few things I learned. Make sure it's a reputable vendor. Send your payment by registered mail or whatever requires a signature so you can prove delivery.

I know now that I could have got burned badly, but it all worked out in the end.

Even though you enter the wrong waypoint....you're still in the right spot!

Yeah, but you could have bought the same Legend at GPSCentral for $255 CAD. So for $30 more, you don't have to risk getting ripped off and you can for sure return a defective unit within 30 days. I don't think Ebay sellers can be expected to take defective returns as most of them sell as is, maybe some will take a return within a few days. And for $225 right now you can get a factory refurbished Legend with the same 1 year warranty from garmin. They also give you free batteries icon_smile.gif and you can pay with any major credit card.

Cool indeed icon_smile.gif

Well, I have nothing against Ebay. In fact, I bought my last golf set on ebay this summer from a guy in Oregon. Probably my biggest purchase on Ebay ever as they were the new TM RAC irons. I got "lucky" with this one as well since it was a hassle free buy. Actually, except for one time, I think all my ebay purchases have been "lucky" experiences.

But as with all popular gadgets on Ebay, the prices tend to be too close to retail online price after the last sniping bid goes in.

As an example, there was one guy here who just sold his GPS V on Ebay. First he offered it on the forums for just US$250 which was cheap considering GPSCentral was selling it for CAD$500. I hesitated to buy it cause I really did not know the guy and I had no protection against fraud in GC.com. So I told him, if he puts it on Ebay, I might just bid on it. Well, to make the long story short, the winning bid was more than the brand new price at GPSCentral.ca.

Here's another happy camper as far as GPSCentral is concerned. I've done all my geocaching purchases through them and have found them to have great prices, terrific fast shipping and updates on your order. Also, because so many cachers purchase from them, if you ever did have a problem, I'm sure they will bend over backwards to put it right. Don'twant to lose all those happy customers!

"You are cleared for geocaching."

GPSCentral was prompt and provided on-line ordering and receipt information. I got a ram mount and Mapsource from them. I ordered on a Saturday and it was at work Tuesday morning (I'm on the East coast and that ain't bad!)

Also try Binnacle.com. They have a Canadian store and I have had good experiences with them also. I'm talking overnight delivery. I think their store is in Halifax area.

GPS Central is the way to go. Sales people are knowledgable and curtious. They even include batteries to get get you going fast. As well they are the Canadian retailer of Geocache stuff and worthwhile to order goodies at the same time.

Binrat

"Blood is thicker than water.......Unless the water is frozen!"

I've bought from GPSCentral.ca and GPSCity.ca. Both have provided excellent service, have been very knowledgable about their products, and even told me that if I delay my order by a few days the price would dropping the following week. Try and get that type of service from a young kid working at RadioShack, FutureShop or (the worst) Canadian Tire. The above 3 stores do however have their positives, but not when it comes to selling GPSs. The knowledge on the product is way low, and the price way too high.

The above to stores (GPSCity.ca and GPSCentral.ca) are also happy to price match any deal you can find elsewhere.

My $0.02. icon_cool.gif

THanks all.

Just an update, I purchased my Magellan SporTrack through GPS Central, as well as my first TB!

Shipping was exactly as described, all in all a smooth transaction!

Broke in the Magellan today 2 / 2. They were easy ones though, just a little walk in the park with the kids..

I am planning a few real tests of the unit soon.

Having loads of fun with the Mapsend software too. And uploads VIA EasyGPS are the best. No more clicky clicky for me!

Thanks to all who chimed in, everybody put my mind at ease for my highest online purchase to date.

Scott

I bought mine GPS recently although from the recent price drop, I should have waited a couple of weeks. Anyway, I looked at both GPSCentral and GPSCity. I input the order and then took a print of the completed order page to Future Shop and they matched the price plus a further discount. That is another possiblity and you would have the unit immediately.

Scotian