The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Glad Gecko Dad is here to log his visit. Is this the same place?

RAMONA – Sheriff's divers today recovered the body of a man who disappeared while swimming near a North County waterfall, authorities reported.

The man went missing about 4:30 p.m. yesterday in the Cedar Creek area, said sheriff's Lt. Edna Ito.

The man reportedly had been swimming in a water hole by the Cedar Creek Falls in the 15000 block of Eagle Peak Road when he disappeared, sheriff's Lt. Dennis Brugos said.

RAMONA – Sheriff's divers today recovered the body of a man who disappeared while swimming near a North County waterfall, authorities reported.

The man went missing about 4:30 p.m. yesterday in the Cedar Creek area, said sheriff's Lt. Edna Ito.

The man reportedly had been swimming in a water hole by the Cedar Creek Falls in the 15000 block of Eagle Peak Road when he disappeared, sheriff's Lt. Dennis Brugos said.

Cedar Falls reflection shot taken by Gecko Dad.

3d8651fd-33fa-4660-82a0-d165bb625ce1.jpg

I went to the Cedar Creek Falls trailhead early this morning to find all trails leading to the falls have been closed, as explained by the sheriff. A search and rescue team was in full force looking for the missing hiker reported the night before at around 7:42pm. Just before noon today the body of a young male was recovered from the falls, an apparent drowning. This is a very sad day for the family who just lost a loved one. I think it might be awhile before I head back down to the falls.

I went to the Cedar Creek Falls trailhead early this morning to find all trails leading to the falls have been closed, as explained by the sheriff. A search and rescue team was in full force looking for the missing hiker reported the night before at around 7:42pm. Just before noon today the body of a young male was recovered from the falls, an apparent drowning. This is a very sad day for the family who just lost a loved one. I think it might be awhile before I head back down to the falls.

Man, Cedar Creek is turning into the County's worst nightmare of an area. First the 2003 fire, now a drowning. Mother Nature sure has her way of humbling us from time to time.....

I placed five new caches today out in Jamul :o . . . now who is going to be first to find?

Or should I stagger my submissions by several days so more than one person gets a chance to be FTF on one or two or three of them?

I vote no on staggering, saves on gas.

D!

Sorry indeed to hear of this loss. My condolences go to Mr. Cruz's family. :o

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/northco...-1m10cedar.html

Yes, there have been a few serious injuries here in the past, generally due to recklessness in jumping into the pond (there was another young man parallyzed here back in 2003 - from jumping from about 60 feet up the wall). Jerry Schad's most recent Afoot & Afield in San Diego County (M-5, trip 3) mentions an early death - in 1926 - and wisely counsels caution if you climb in this area.

That said, this is still a beautiful area and highly recommended, but please use common sense when visiting. http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20...z1x15falls.html

-Gecko Dad

I placed five new caches today out in Jamul :o . . . now who is going to be first to find?

Or should I stagger my submissions by several days so more than one person gets a chance to be FTF on one or two or three of them?

D!

Yes, that is what I was thinking myself . . . but I only got two of them written up and submitted last night . . . and they've both been approved already. :D

I'll hurry and get the other three written up and submitted now.

EDIT to add . . . all the caches have been approved. Let the FTF race begin. :D

Edited by idiosyncratic
I placed five new caches today out in Jamul :blink: . . . now who is going to be first to find?

D!

Yes, that is what I was thinking myself . . . but I only got two of them written up and submitted last night . . . and they've both been approved already. :ph34r:

I'll hurry and get the other three written up and submitted now.

EDIT to add . . . all the caches have been approved. Let the FTF race begin. :lol:

Congratulations to cegrube, who was FTF on four of the five. So, there is still one out there for someone else to be FTF. ^_^

We are back from our camping trip to Running Springs. Took a long look at the Infinity cache and felt sick :blink: . Decided to head up the creek :ph34r: to do the others. They were awesome! The Keller peak cache was not to be found by us :lol: . The best one was The Ole Swimming Hole by fishpoet, truly amazing swimming holes!!!! If you are in the area you've gotta check it out!

Edited by teamjack&birdie
We are back from our camping trip to Running Springs. Took a long look at the Infinity cache and felt sick  :blink: . Decided to head up the creek  :ph34r: to do the others. They were awesome! The Keller peak cache was not to be found by us  :lol: . The best one was The Ole Swimming Hole by fishpoet, truly amazing swimming holes!!!! If you are in the area you've gotta check it out!

The best thing about Keller Peak was going up into the lookout tower with the rangers! By the way, that cache was not behind the rock like the hint said it was in a bush about 3-4 feet to the left of that spot.

Edited by TrailGators
Congratulations to cegrube, who was FTF on four of the five. So, there is still one out there for someone else to be FTF. :lol:

My mistake . . . cegrube was FTF on all five of them, it just took a while for him to finish writing that last one. His logs are very entertaining. :D

My fellow San Diego Cachers,

Here's a puzzle cache challenge for you. I thought I'd give this thread first shot at it. I have not yet posted it to big green so others may not even know about it ... for awhile anyhow. Is it possible to go caching without a GPS? Have you heard of podcasting yet?

This is a "PodCache". A combination of podcasting and caching. Here's the idea: an MP3 audio file that has clues to lead you to a cache. Ideally you download the MP3 into a portable player and walk the route that we describe. The audio gauntlet has been thrown down. Who will be first to find on this first PodCache? Only one of you can be first on the first! How's that for a challenge?

logbook.jpg

Here are the URLs you'll need:

http://www.podcacher.com/

http://podcacher.blogspot.com/

Good Luck!

iTrax and FoxTail

This is a "PodCache". A combination of podcasting and caching. Here's the idea: an MP3 audio file that has clues to lead you to a cache. Ideally you download the MP3 into a portable player and walk the route that we describe. The audio gauntlet has been thrown down. Who will be first to find on this first PodCache? Only one of you can be first on the first! How's that for a challenge?

Interesting idea! My money is on John and Jess to be the FTF!

Edited by TrailGators
2434bdbc-c656-4afd-b6b2-d0edbcacb957.jpg

I'm SOOOOO glad I finished up the last of the puzzle caches in San Diego yesterday!! At least for some small moment in time, I can say I have solved them ALL! It appears that my moment is about to be snatched away..... :D

I am so glad I am simply incapable of doing puzzle caches. I have SO much less to figure out than the rest of you. :lol:

My fellow San Diego Cachers,

Here's a puzzle cache challenge for you. I thought I'd give this thread first shot at it. I have not yet posted it to big green so others may not even know about it ... for awhile anyhow. Is it possible to go caching without a GPS? Have you heard of podcasting yet?

Good Luck!

iTrax and FoxTail

Sweet :lol: ! Our first PodCache and an FTF to boot! Very cool idea :D ! We don't have an iPod so we played it at home and took notes. That worked out pretty well (though we do know the area too).

We have been playing with a similar idea but it's more of a tourism application. This was really fun, I can imagine how cool to be listening to it while you go through the paces :o

Can't wait for the next one and maybe we'll have an iPod by then!

Thanks iTrax and FoxTail for the fun dash out the door tonight :P

John&Jess

Thanks iTrax and FoxTail for the fun dash out the door tonight :lol:

John&Jess

Outstanding, amazing, well done! Yes, we'll be planning another PodCache sometime in the near future. Until then, if anyone has any suggestions for future "shows" or wants to participate in this grand experiment (perhaps an interview?) Please let us know. You can reach us at www.podcacher.com.

Thanks iTrax and FoxTail for the fun dash out the door tonight  :lol:

John&Jess

Outstanding, amazing, well done! Yes, we'll be planning another PodCache sometime in the near future. Until then, if anyone has any suggestions for future "shows" or wants to participate in this grand experiment (perhaps an interview?) Please let us know. You can reach us at www.podcacher.com.

Howdy, just a suggestion... Why not setup a geocache that requires a podcast? I think more people will try it out that way. You could make it a puzzle cache, kinda like the picture puzzle caches but with auditory clues instead of visual. No?

D!

Thanks iTrax and FoxTail for the fun dash out the door tonight  :D

John&Jess

Howdy, just a suggestion... Why not setup a geocache that requires a podcast? I think more people will try it out that way. You could make it a puzzle cache, kinda like the picture puzzle caches but with auditory clues instead of visual. No?

D!

I agree! Make it a puzzle cache! :lol:

Edited by TrailGators

Good Luck!

iTrax and FoxTail

Great stuff! I've listened to a bit of it, will save the rest for when I can do it as intended. I'll have to decide between playing the MP3 on my PSP or my Minidisc player, but apart from that, no problem :-)

You really should just make it *officially* the first podcache: make a puzzle cache page, with the parking location you describe as the listed coords, and then a link to your blog and the MP3 files. Won't take 5 minutes!

Good Luck!

iTrax and FoxTail

Great stuff! I've listened to a bit of it, will save the rest for when I can do it as intended. I'll have to decide between playing the MP3 on my PSP or my Minidisc player, but apart from that, no problem :-)

You really should just make it *officially* the first podcache: make a puzzle cache page, with the parking location you describe as the listed coords, and then a link to your blog and the MP3 files. Won't take 5 minutes!

I listened to about half of it. It is an interesting idea. The audio quality is very good and the content is for the most part interesting. Good job!

My thoughts would be to provide coordinates (as Toby stated) that take people to different spots. Then have cachers pause the audio and restart it when they arrive at the right spot. Then you simply describe what they will see when they arrive so they get the clue(s) they need to solve the puzzle. This would eliminate the ramblings about jaywalking, etc. (no offense) and make the audio much shorter. Also with this approach you could widen the area so people could drive their cars through a pod route! The audio assisted cache solves the issue of caching indoors! So you could make some pretty cool caches this way! Again good job on the idea! B)

Edited by TrailGators

The 1st PodCache has been posted on Big Green:

Link to the cache

We really enjoyed making this one. Many thanks for your suggestions, keep 'em coming! Yes, the audio aspect takes care of the indoors problem. Also we've found that you can get VERY VERY specific to describe where the cache actually is if you choose to do so. There are positives and some negatives, but all in all, pretty fun. We will certainly create another for sure sometime soon. We'll give different audio experiments a try. Variety is the spice!

On another note, we will be soon looking to interview some local cachers for their perspectives and opinions. Does anyone want to step up to the plate? Topics could vary: Favorite caches, good camo, caching stories, tools you use, strategies for the ever elusive FTF, etc.

We could meet over lunch and get the audio for a short 15 - 20 minute "chat". I'm sure the community would love to hear from the likes of some of you celebrities!

Let me know.

Drop by our website. You can find out more about what we're doing and find contact info there too.

www.podcacher.com

On another note, we will be soon looking to interview some local cachers for their perspectives and opinions. Does anyone want to step up to the plate? Topics could vary: Favorite caches, good camo, caching stories, tools you use, strategies for the ever elusive FTF, etc.

We could meet over lunch and get the audio for a short 15 - 20 minute "chat". I'm sure the community would love to hear from the likes of some of you celebrities!

My suggestion would be to interview the local geocachers that have a Yrium card! B)

Edited by TrailGators

Congratulations to cegrube, who was FTF on four of the five. So, there is still one out there for someone else  to be FTF. B)

I'm planning on a McGinty hike this Thursday morning, around 8:45a.

Call/email me if you'd like to join me.

TR Violin went up there today, betcha he hid one or two up there. Gotta work Thursday morning. Why can't I get paid for geocaching?

D!

A handful of locals are competing with the rest of the country (world) for an El Diablo hiking staff here. At this point, the winning entry has 3 votes. Even if you don't vote, there are some great pictures there. Especially the one of Crest, taken from Golden Hammer [/shameless self-promotion] B)

A handful of locals are competing with the rest of the country (world) for an El Diablo hiking staff here. At this point, the winning entry has 3 votes. Even if you don't vote, there are some great pictures there. Especially the one of Crest, taken from Golden Hammer [/shameless self-promotion] B)

I'm one of the locals that submitted a picture, all of use have some amazing pictures and are all worthy. Check out my submission and others at the link below, and vote for your favorite !

My Submission: Let's Go Padres !

E-mail: El Diabolo at JC364@aol.com with your vote :mad:

Just thought I'd share with all of you a quote from FlagMan regarding my latest puzzle cache:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The objective of this game has taken its toll. I MUST tear myself away and make at least an appearance of working on something work-related....."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:blink:

-----------------------

Jersey update:

Day 1: 1 cache found : Power Trip, Circuit 2 (4/2).

Zone of Clearance from house: 2.2 miles.

Radius of nearest 500 caches: 20.5 miles.

Toto, I'm not in San Diego anymore........

--TT--

Just thought I'd share with all of you a quote from FlagMan regarding my latest puzzle cache:

"The objective of this game has taken its toll. I MUST tear myself away and make at least an appearance of working on something work-related....."

B)

-----------------------

Jersey update:

Day 1: 1 cache found : Power Trip, Circuit 2 (4/2).

Zone of Clearance from house: 2.2 miles.

Radius of nearest 500 caches: 20.5 miles.

Toto, I'm not in San Diego anymore........

--TT--

NJ has just over 1700 caches...shouldn't take too long! :blink:

D!