The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Well, that's near work for me, but I'm going to be going back to the UK (permanently) later in the year too, so it would only need a new adopter in a few months anyway. Otherwise I'd be happy to adopt it.

It's a bummer to hear that you are leaving us Toby.
Agreed! :ph34r:

I hope you're not leaving because of something we said or did (or because of the MTRP Cache War)... :P

It's just come to my attention that the P&K Sunset Cache has just been disabled due to the fact that it is gone. The owner, "puppy" is now in England and has no plans or ability to replace it.

I thought that by posting this here, there might be someone who would step forward and offer to adopt/replace this cache. Any takers?

I have a feeling Rogue wouldn't mind us taking on that cache if noone else goes for it. She is always up for a nice stroll on the beach. I would just need to come up with a container that is less likely to be muggled.

This is a good time to add that I am moving out of state and I have 13 Geocaches that I would like to adopt out. I am also archiving some of them. Here's the list of active caches I own:

Pinyon Mountain GCB037

Treasure Tree #6 GCJVKD

Coins in the Cleft GCR4AW

"Eat at Moe's" GCR98B

Treasure Tree #2 GCJFM4

Treasure Tree #4 GCJK4A

San Felipe Cache GCHGJA

Treasure Tree #5 Relocated GCKY0H

Cache Catcher GCM1YY

Diablo GCF01F

PCT in the Valley GCQVAW

Coyote Mountains Claim GCMBRF

Golden Crown GC279D

Any takers? I'm moving to Montana in a month and I'll bet a few of you would like to take over the maintenance on these caches. THANKS!

This is a good time to add that I am moving out of state and I have 13 Geocaches that I would like to adopt out. I am also archiving some of them. Here's the list of active caches I own:

Pinyon Mountain GCB037

Treasure Tree #6 GCJVKD

"Eat at Moe's" GCR98B

Treasure Tree #2 GCJFM4

Treasure Tree #4 GCJK4A

San Felipe Cache GCHGJA

Cache Catcher GCM1YY

Diablo GCF01F

PCT in the Valley GCQVAW

Golden Crown GC279D

Any takers? I'm moving to Montana in a month and I'll bet a few of you would like to take over the maintenance on these caches. THANKS!

Sorry to see you go Nat. :rolleyes:

I would be willing to adopt any of these:

Treasure Tree #6 GCJVKD

A group of us just did those caches not too long ago!

Coins in the Cleft has to be one of the best views of just about any cache around here! <_<

Good Luck!

Edited by TrailGators

Howdy san diego cachers I need a little help please. You see I have one of y'all coins and I don't know where to get an activation code. Any help would be great.

Pepper

I believe the San Diego Geocoin can be activated through http://www.geocoinclub.com/code.php

:shocked:

Paul

thank you so much!

My husband was in y'alls town last week for a MicroSoft conference and he loved your town!

Pepper

What's going on?!?!?!?! :D Everyone's leaving us!!! :D TT, Rocketman, Princess Toadstool & now Dr. Boggis & Nat. :shocked:;)

Do we need to take showers more often?? B) It's a little hard when you're hiking all over MTRP, ya know. B)

I know, you saw the snow we had on the mountains & decided you couldn't live any longer with out a heavy dose of that white stuff. B)B)

Or, since there aren't that many caches in MT, Nat's moving there to propigate! B):D

Well, we wish all of you well. :D

Edited by HelBob Duo

Pinyon Mountain GCB037

Treasure Tree #6 GCJVKD

"Eat at Moe's" GCR98B

Treasure Tree #2 GCJFM4

Treasure Tree #4 GCJK4A

San Felipe Cache GCHGJA

Cache Catcher GCM1YY

Diablo GCF01F

PCT in the Valley GCQVAW

Golden Crown GC279D

I am willing on anything that doesn't require 4WD to get to (if nobody else wants them). Coins in the Cleft is probably the one I am near the most. I enjoy that viewpoint and don't mind having an excuse to go back to it.

In about 6 weeks to 2 months we also will be leaving. We have decided to fulltime it in the MH.

I have 2 caches left in the San Diego area, the buzzing might be rattlesnakes gc1427 and the evil gc9352 its too easy, also one other needs adopting gc1ca8 second out of the chute by Yrium and myself its actually his cache. I do plan on coming down in the next week or so and replace the logs in at least 2nd out of the chute and its too easy.

Anyone interested in adopting some old SD caches :shocked:

Edited by vagabond
In about 6 weeks to 2 months we also will be leaving. We have decided to fulltime it in the MH.

I have 2 caches left in the San Diego area, the buzzing might be rattlesnakes gc1427 and the evil gc9352 its too easy, also one other needs adopting gc1ca8 second out of the chute by Yrium and myself its actually his cache. I do plan on coming down in the next week or so and replace the logs in at least 2nd out of the chute and its too easy.

Anyone interested in adopting some old SD caches :D

;) Who is going to go after all the FTFs in Lake Elsinore if you leave?

Well, it's a dirty job, but we'll try to take up some of the slack. Best of luck to you and Tag-a-long.

Hmm . . . maybe you can give me the trailhead to It's too Easy. We looked one night for that--before going out to dinner, which turned out to be a big mistake. :shocked:

I hate to see you go....

You are a huge part of San Diego’s caching history...you will be missed.

I would like to GC9352 AND GC1CA8. (Sonrisa and I loved doing "Is's too easy"...made me feel like a kid again).

Speaking of San Diego History....a cache that you did on May 30, 2001 is about to be resurrected...I am replacing/adopting GC5B.

Thanks again....and I wish you fair wind and following seas.

Edited by GoBolts!

Pinyon Mountain GCB037

Treasure Tree #6 GCJVKD

"Eat at Moe's" GCR98B

Treasure Tree #2 GCJFM4

Treasure Tree #4 GCJK4A

San Felipe Cache GCHGJA

Cache Catcher GCM1YY

Diablo GCF01F

PCT in the Valley GCQVAW

Golden Crown GC279D

Sorry to see you go...I appreciate the help you have given me in the past....You will be missed.

The two I would be interested in are...

Treasure Tree #6 GCJVKD

However comma they are called for....if they fall through...let me know...

I wish you well my friend.

Anyone interested in adopting some old SD caches ;)

Sorry to see you go too Vagabond! :shocked: Many may not know this but you were the 3,892nd cacher in the world! I also think you are the oldest (caching age) remaining active cacher in this area.

Good Luck!

Edited by TrailGators

Sorry to see so many local cachers moving along. TG would be pleased to adopt GC1427 (Buzzing Might Be Rattlesnakes).

-Gecko Dad

B) Who is going to go after all the FTFs in Lake Elsinore if you leave?

Well, it's a dirty job, but we'll try to take up some of the slack. Best of luck to you and Tag-a-long.

Hmm . . . maybe you can give me the trailhead to It's too Easy. We looked one night for that--before going out to dinner, which turned out to be a big mistake. :D

LMAO

I'm sure you 2 will be more then able to handle the slack. :shocked::DB):D

south end of Marlesta, I changed the page and its now in the hint, not like it used to be when you had to drive around and around trying to find the entrance

Edited by vagabond

Pinyon Mountain GCB037

Treasure Tree #6 GCJVKD

"Eat at Moe's" GCR98B

Treasure Tree #2 GCJFM4

Treasure Tree #4 GCJK4A

San Felipe Cache GCHGJA

Cache Catcher GCM1YY

Diablo GCF01F

PCT in the Valley GCQVAW

Golden Crown GC279D

Nat-

Sorry to see you go after trading - without ever meeting - such great desert stories. TG would be pleased to adopt Pinyon Mountain, San Felipe, Diablo, PCT in the Valley, Golden Crown. Although I haven't yet visited Coyote Mountains Claim, I'm very familiar with that area and could adopt it as well.

-Gecko Dad

I hate to see you go....

I would like to GC9352 AND GC1CA8. (Sonrisa and I loved doing "It's too easy"...made me feel like a kid again).

Speaking of San Diego History....a cache that you did on May 30, 2001 is about to be resurrected...I am replacing/adopting GC5B.

I think Oakzanita was the first of a very long drive and tiring 6 cache day :shocked: the good old days.

Your welcome to it's too easy, as far as I know no one is taking care of 2nd out of the chute, or has adopted it so you should be able to snag that one .

Sorry to see so many local cachers moving along. TG would be pleased to adopt GC1427 (Buzzing Might Be Rattlesnakes).

-Gecko Dad

Your welcome to buzzing, it's kind of nice to see one of the older caches in the county going to one of the older active cachers in the county

We'll be coming back time to time to visit the kids and grandkids.

We just felt the need to get out and enjoy our selfs while we still can, And spend the kids inheritance :shocked::D:D

Anyone interested in adopting some old SD caches B)

-Gecko Dad

Your welcome to buzzing, it's kind of nice to see one of the older caches in the county going to one of the older active cachers in the county

We just felt the need to get out and enjoy our selfs while we still can, And spend the kids inheritance :shocked::D:D

My pleasure,Vagabond. It's along one of my regular running routes and I often think about it when passing that side trail. Another that I reflect back on from time to time that really got me (and many others) was the long archived INBETWEEN (GC2A9A). That was a truly original hide concept that had more than a few of us scratching our heads. The Yrium/Gromit log Part 1 and Part 2 were all timers.

Need any help spending that inheritance? ;)

-GD

P.S. I should take "one of the older active cachers" as a compliment, right? :D

Edited by Team Gecko

-Gecko Dad

We just felt the need to get out and enjoy our selfs while we still can, And spend the kids inheritance :D:D:D

My pleasure,Vagabond. It's along one of my regular running routes and I often think about it when passing that side trail. Another that I reflt back on from time to time that really got me (and many others) was the long archived INBETWEEN (GC2A9A). That was a truly original hide concept that had more than a few of us scratching our heads. The Yrium/Gromit log Part 1 and Part 2 were all timers.

Need any help spending that inheritance? :D

-GD

P.S. I should take "one of the older active cachers" as a compliment, right? :)

Maybe if I reworded it as one the long time cachers #51466 :D:D . Yeah inbetween was a good one, I've often wondered about it, whether it was an actual muggle or a p-ssed off cacher. The parachute cord had been burnt in about 5 places and just left laying around and no contents or ammo box were found in the area. And I know Old Frenchy loved it, he went at least 3 times looking for it :D:D

:D Who is going to go after all the FTFs in Lake Elsinore if you leave?

Hmm . . . maybe you can give me the trailhead to It's too Easy. We looked one night for that--before going out to dinner, which turned out to be a big mistake. :D

LMAO

I'm sure you 2 will be more then able to handle the slack. :D:):D:D

south end of Marlesta, I changed the page and its now in the hint, not like it used to be when you had to drive around and around trying to find the entrance

That was what I liked about it! :D

Anyone interested in adopting some old SD caches :)

I hate to see you go....

I would like to GC9352 AND GC1CA8. (Sonrisa and I loved doing "It's too easy"...made me feel like a kid again).

I think Oakzanita was the first of a very long drive and tiring 6 cache day :D the good old days.

Your welcome to it's too easy, as far as I know no one is taking care of 2nd out of the chute, or has adopted it so you should be able to snag that one .

Thanks...I appreciate it however comma I know I am still an FNG soooooo if some one that has more history would like them I understand....but if not I would be stoked to have them. Thanks again…

Have a great time on the road ol' fellow. We will miss you. If you run out of money to buy fuel for your MH just call $kimmer. That gal is loaded with $kimmings.

Harmon & Sandy

63845a71-1cb7-4e39-bf3d-19e535c65eda.jpg

By the way, it's a good thing Sandy and I spotted you that day when you were looking for a cache near Loews. You'd o' never found it without us.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Pinyon Mountain GCB037

Treasure Tree #6 GCJVKD

"Eat at Moe's" GCR98B

Treasure Tree #2 GCJFM4

Treasure Tree #4 GCJK4A

San Felipe Cache GCHGJA

Cache Catcher GCM1YY

Diablo GCF01F

PCT in the Valley GCQVAW

Golden Crown GC279D

WOW! I appreciate all the responses! I'm not sure how to adopt them out; I guess the fairest deal is to start at the first reply, email the cachers, and go down the list. I think I will enjoy caching in Montana because I won't be overwhelmed by the lower number of caches to find (and slower life to live in general). Since I am one of the unfortunate people who work most of the week I can't keep up with you hard core cachers. But I have had fun trying to get to 500 finds and seeing areas of Southern CA I would have never seen without a geocache to draw me there. I will bring some tricks I have learned and hide some new and clever geocaches in Montana.

I'll start contacting the interested parties soon. Happy caching!

I don't want to hijack the critters thread again, so I will post this here.

We got into a discussion on what to do if bitten by a rattle snake. Over in the general forum, a similar discussion took place. Someone posted a link to this young man's story of being bitten in the hand by a rattler. Once you get to the story, don't open the link to the pictures if you are squeamish.

I have to admit, when I was the pictures of the guys holding the rattler, it didn't strike me as being that odd. I have been around snakes a lot, worked in pet stores handling them, and been bitten by captive as well as wild snakes in the past. After seeing those pics though, I definately have more respect for a rattle snake.

Link to story.

I don't want to hijack the critters thread again, so I will post this here.

We got into a discussion on what to do if bitten by a rattle snake. Over in the general forum, a similar discussion took place. Someone posted a link to this young man's story of being bitten in the hand by a rattler. Once you get to the story, don't open the link to the pictures if you are squeamish.

I have to admit, when I was the pictures of the guys holding the rattler, it didn't strike me as being that odd. I have been around snakes a lot, worked in pet stores handling them, and been bitten by captive as well as wild snakes in the past. After seeing those pics though, I definately have more respect for a rattle snake.

Link to story.

Holy Cow! Those are some graphic pictures. Definately don't look at these while you are eating lunch. :) However, it will make me think twice before putting my hand someplace, will be using a stick instead. Besides, snakes freak me out. Kevin and I saw two snakes on our way out to the desert for the Geotillo campout. One during our, uh , potty break...... he slid away though, and fairly quickly I might add...and the other must have been sunning himself on the nice pavement road and slid away fairly quickly as well as we drove by.

Rather then get into a discussion about what to do if bitten by a rattle snake, where are the most likely hiding spots for these guys? I know they enjoy the sun. And anytime I've seen one, they're in the sun...although Kevin, when he was younger nearly sat on a baby rattler that was hanging out in some loose leaves in the shade. That was up at Daley Ranch in Escondido. That experience scared us both to death!

This guy is looking to promote Darwinism among the caching community!

I don't know if I would go so far as to say this was stupid...but it was pretty darn close!

Badandy's story that was a link on that thread about his skunk encounter was pretty funny . Still laughing. :) However, seriously, I guess, you really don't want to mess with a skunk.

Rather then get into a discussion about what to do if bitten by a rattle snake, where are the most likely hiding spots for these guys?

The simplest answer to this question is "anywhere" :) Where they like to be depends on the time of day. Snakes are cold-blooded and must take advantage of their environment to regulate body temperature. Depending on the time of day, they can be out sunning themselves or they can be hiding in the shade. Rock piles are popular with snakes because it's easy to change according to their needs and because this is also a place where their prey (rodents, etc.) also like to live. Tall grass is a very popular place for snakes. Last fall, I transported a juvenile S. Pacific Diamondback from my back doorstep (BTW, don't do this unless you KNOW how to do this safely) out to the boonies. I was mightily impressed at how quickly this guy blended into the grass! (I've gotten some camo ideas from this experience...)

This guy is looking to promote Darwinism among the caching community!

I don't know if I would go so far as to say this was stupid...but it was pretty darn close!

OK. I'll go so far as to say so... There could have been a lot of other things in that hole that would not have been so polite about saying "GO AWAY!"

Where I grew up (Northern New Mexico), one of the first things we learned (those of us who survived anyway) was "Do not put your hands or feet (or any other part of your body :) ) into any place that you cannot see!" (And if that made it harder for me to find "Meds for Harmon", then so be it! :D )

Pinyon Mountain GCB037

Treasure Tree #6 GCJVKD

"Eat at Moe's" GCR98B

Treasure Tree #2 GCJFM4

Treasure Tree #4 GCJK4A

San Felipe Cache GCHGJA

Cache Catcher GCM1YY

Diablo GCF01F

PCT in the Valley GCQVAW

Golden Crown GC279D

WOW! I appreciate all the responses! I'm not sure how to adopt them out; I guess the fairest deal is to start at the first reply, email the cachers, and go down the list. I think I will enjoy caching in Montana because I won't be overwhelmed by the lower number of caches to find (and slower life to live in general). Since I am one of the unfortunate people who work most of the week I can't keep up with you hard core cachers. But I have had fun trying to get to 500 finds and seeing areas of Southern CA I would have never seen without a geocache to draw me there. I will bring some tricks I have learned and hide some new and clever geocaches in Montana.

I'll start contacting the interested parties soon. Happy caching!

To adopt your caches out, Go to this link. and enter the GC code, then the cacher on the next screen. They will get an email if they want to adopt the cache. You got any left over?

People!

Please stop removing active caches from MTRP!

Now there's a Forum post I never thought I'd see.

Blame the cache archiving activities on that commie-pinko Ramius the reviewer guy.

The 2006 MTRP Cache War has taken on a life of it's own it seems. Many seldom-seen user names are showing up to make long treks into the wilds of MTRP. Y'all are putty in my hands. Bwah-hah-hah!

Here's a hot news break ... The Geobabes are discussing an MTRP run.

Some day y'all will thank me for contriviing the MTRP Cache War caper. By the way, I haven't gotten around to picking up the few caches that I archived. That feeble old goat General Goober actually started removing his out-of-bounds containers. See, all along I tried t' tell everybody that he's a weenie.

Sweet old Harmon,

The Peoples Choice

Edited by SD Rowdies

Have a great time on the road ol' fellow. We will miss you. If you run out of money to buy fuel for your MH just call $kimmer. That gal is loaded with $kimmings.

Harmon & Sandy

By the way, it's a good thing Sandy and I spotted you that day when you were looking for a cache near Loews. You'd o' never found it without us.

AHH I aint a even going to bother with an answer for that one cause we all knows the truths

Hi GoJoey from Western North Carolina here. My wife Bookworm1 is going to San Diego for a visit to her children and she is bringing some Travel Bugs with her to put in a local cache. Only problem is she is not much more than a 1/1 cacher on a sunny day. She needs some advice on where there is a cache that will hold Travel Bugs near Coronado Hotel that she wount get brambles or Poison Ivy (Sorry bout that thats a North Carolinian Thing) Either reply in this thread or respond thru GeoCaching.com we go by GoJoey&Bookworm1 Thanks

Harmon & Sandy

AHH I aint a even going to bother with an answer for that one cause we all knows the truths

:)

Anyone interested in adopting some old SD caches :rolleyes:

If no one has offered to adopt The Buzzing Might Be Rattle Snakes, I will offer to take it. I ride in that canyon most everyday and it would be no problem for me to take good care of it. Sorry to see you move away from the area though, but I bet anywhere you go, geomobile gas would be cheaper! :laughing:

Let me know

finkbr

Anyone interested in adopting some old SD caches :laughing:

If no one has offered to adopt The Buzzing Might Be Rattle Snakes, I will offer to take it. I ride in that canyon most everyday and it would be no problem for me to take good care of it. Sorry to see you move away from the area though, but I bet anywhere you go, geomobile gas would be cheaper! :rolleyes:

Let me know

finkbr

Geko Dad has asked for it, but if he changes his mind your welcome to it

Hi GoJoey from Western North Carolina here. My wife Bookworm1 is going to San Diego for a visit to her children and she is bringing some Travel Bugs with her to put in a local cache. Only problem is she is not much more than a 1/1 cacher on a sunny day. She needs some advice on where there is a cache that will hold Travel Bugs near Coronado Hotel that she wount get brambles or Poison Ivy (Sorry bout that thats a North Carolinian Thing) Either reply in this thread or respond thru GeoCaching.com we go by GoJoey&Bookworm1 Thanks

I believe the largest cache container on the island is Twisted Access, it's a 3/1, but a good one. If you explain the situation to Babados Sam, I'm sure he can provide a 1/1 hint.

The next closest caches are on the mainland, Midway between..., and Baywatch, which is a 1/3 'cause of some pokey rock scrambling.

The largest, closest 1/1 is View of Margaritaville over Old Town, a nice area to visit and grab a few other caches.

There used to be a TB hotel in an ammo box real close to the airport, but the cops confiscated it :rolleyes: .

I know we hashed this out before...but while I was crusing the forums instead of working...I came across a thread about logging "pocket caches" at events. (While I must admit, there are several cachers in our area that I wouldn't mind walking up to and asking, "Is that a cache in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?!?", I can't believe how many times people are logging an event to claim finds on these caches!

Check out this event here!

Then, look at this user here and check out her caches found profile! Look at how many events she has logged!

Unbelievable. Look at the profiles of some of the other folks that attended the same event.

I know we hashed this out before...but while I was crusing the forums instead of working...I came across a thread about logging "pocket caches" at events. (While I must admit, there are several cachers in our area that I wouldn't mind walking up to and asking, "Is that a cache in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?!?", I can't believe how many times people are logging an event to claim finds on these caches!

Check out this event here!

Then, look at this user here and check out her caches found profile! Look at how many events she has logged!

Unbelievable. Look at the profiles of some of the other folks that attended the same event.

Makes you want to spit, or something doesn't it. Seems like the most of it is being done in the midwest, but it also seems to be spreading :rolleyes: It's been complained about a lot, in fact Criminal has a thread about this going in the main forums

-snip- It's been complained about a lot, in fact Criminal has a thread about this going in the main forums

That's where I found the links that I posted above. I had heard about it, and originally thought, "Oh well, to each their own." Then, when I realized that some of the cachers in the "Top 150" have logged 800+ event finds, I changed my tune. What a crock!

I think it would be really funny to see the site ban more than one "Found it" per cache. It's already that way for TBs isn't it?

Then, they could retroactively delete all of the double posts. I'd love to see the standings after that happened!

-snip- It's been complained about a lot, in fact Criminal has a thread about this going in the main forums

That's where I found the links that I posted above. I had heard about it, and originally thought, "Oh well, to each their own." Then, when I realized that some of the cachers in the "Top 150" have logged 800+ event finds, I changed my tune. What a crock!

I think it would be really funny to see the site ban more than one "Found it" per cache. It's already that way for TBs isn't it?

Then, they could retroactively delete all of the double posts. I'd love to see the standings after that happened!

Dude (C4) ...you are in...with all of the high up Groundspeak people....let them know that this sort of crap is ruining the sport...numbers don't mean a thing if any cache can be logged more then once.

PS Yes it is all about the numbers.

It appears they justify the multiple finds due to the temp caches they place for the event. I don't agree with it, but that appears to be the short answer.

I can assure you no one is going to claim multiple finds at the MTRP event and get away with it :rolleyes: .

I came across a thread about logging "pocket caches" at events. (While I must admit, there are several cachers in our area that I wouldn't mind walking up to and asking, "Is that a cache in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?!?", I can't believe how many times people are logging an event to claim finds on these caches!

I’ve got something in my front pocket for you

Edited by GoBolts!

I came across a thread about logging "pocket caches" at events. (While I must admit, there are several cachers in our area that I wouldn't mind walking up to and asking, "Is that a cache in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?!?", I can't believe how many times people are logging an event to claim finds on these caches!

I’ve got something in my front pocket for you

:rolleyes:

As sweet as I am on you Dave...the beard has got to go...

Now, as for TM... <_<