Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 8
Datenkaros

World Cache

Recommended Posts

Hello,

we are in Cambridge, UK and currently in the process in developing a new version of the now-archived World Cache (GCWDD0), and we would love to hear from fellow around the world who would like to participate in it. The idea of the cache is that you need to collect clues from your companions in other countries to get informations that lead to the final. The final could be either a virtual or a physical cache, whatever works best for you! The way how to collect the clues is also up to every collaborator.

So far, we have people interested in Cambridge (UK), Adelaide (Australia), and Dallas (TX, US). Please let us know if you like to be on board!

Edited by Datenkaros
added connection

Share this post


Link to post

Joining from the heart of the Amazon (no, not Seattle)... Manaus in Brazil!

Share this post


Link to post

The design of the archived cache you referred to is very nice.  The key to success is having an actual cache in each country, so that everyone is signing a logbook for "their" cache.

I would caution you about trying to work in a virtual cache as part of this series.  For starters, you need to find someone who has an unused Virtual Reward.  And, you'll want to check with a reviewer on the design details.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

If I can help you in any way, I'd be happy to. From the middle of the USA. This sounds like fun!

Share this post


Link to post

By appointment of Brad&Janet
I am available to help in the development of this project. From Lisbon, Portugal 

Edited by jocasife

Share this post


Link to post

Sounds cool, I'd be available if a stage in or near Karlsruhe, Germany, is needed!

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:16 AM, Datenkaros said:

Hello,

we are in Cambridge, UK and currently in the process in developing a new version of the now-archived World Cache (GCWDD0), and we would love to hear from fellow around the world who would like to participate in it. The idea of the cache is that you need to collect clues from your companions in other countries to get informations that lead to the final. The final could be either a virtual or a physical cache, whatever works best for you! The way how to collect the clues is also up to every collaborator.

So far, we have people interested in Cambridge (UK), Adelaide (Australia), and Dallas (TX, US). Please let us know if you like to be on board!

Make sure the other associated caches are in areas with a high number of local cachers. We have some cooperation caches in town here, and it's become tough to find a "friend" on the other end because most of the locals have already found the cache local to them. You need a large pool of potential "friends" for this kind of cache to be viable long-term.

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I agree that there needs to be a vibrant caching community for all sub-caches of the World Cache. Perhaps it would also be good if all steps could be solved within one visit to the respective city, to make it also suitable for tourists - perhaps even taking in a few local attractions as well. Ideally the clues could be about places or objects that link one to another other. I am currently thinking about using some clues from museums (but that would be only how I would do it here, everybody can do what they like or what works, e.g. hiding cache stages or devising internet puzzles): For example the museum of Archaeology and Anthropology has some exhibits from the Australia, Canada and the US, the Fitzwilliam Museum should have paintings from German Painters, and I will try to dig into the collections to find links to more countries. So for example if I find an Australian artifact in a museum in Cambridge, I give a clue (e.g. number or word) associated with it to our Australian Companion. The Cachers from Australia would need to put together the clues from e.g. Brazil, Germany, Portugal, the UK and the US (and perhaps some more) to get a final clue. This could be a set of coordinates or a secret email address they need to mail to and get bounced back either the log permission (for a virtual), or a set of coordinates to find the final. That would be only one suggestion how to plan the World Cache, and we'd love to hear what you think.

Share this post


Link to post

To learn from the archival of the old world Cache I'd suggest that the information needed to get the final coordinates is somehow recursive.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, The A-Team said:

Make sure the other associated caches are in areas with a high number of local cachers. We have some cooperation caches in town here, and it's become tough to find a "friend" on the other end because most of the locals have already found the cache local to them. You need a large pool of potential "friends" for this kind of cache to be viable long-term.

You might also want to check out the "All Nations" forum these kinds of "exchange caches" are frequently discussed.  There are several of them which get posts from people in one location asking about an "exchange" with someone else in the other locations.  I have also seen a variation on exchange caches which requires two or more geocachers to simultaneously connect to a web site from each location to reveal the final coordinates.  Sorry, I don't have a GC code for an example handy.

Share this post


Link to post

We are making progress on developing the World Cache, but new international collaborators are still very welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/27/2018 at 2:11 AM, pingurus said:

To learn from the archival of the old world Cache I'd suggest that the information needed to get the final coordinates is somehow recursive.

 

Any elaboration would be helpful, as I am currently in the process of figuring out what to do on my end for a World Cache. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm so excited! I got cache placement permission in Oklahoma, and can't wait to get this adventure started!

Share this post


Link to post

I’m in United Arab Emirates, I would like to join in on this

Share this post


Link to post

It is true, the need for a vibrent community of cachers in the destination - I am still looking for a cacher in San Diego to complete an international find from a year and a half ago, and in the past we had difficulties in finding geocachers in some areas (India, for example) for a cache like this.

 

I could assist your cache - depending on the country I will be at the time... got some exciting places on my mind.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you everybody for your responses so far! We will be open for new fellow cachers to sign up forinterest in participating into setting up the World Cache until the end of this week, and then go into the next development stage, so it can go online in two weeks.

Share this post


Link to post

We have now made contact and started to construct puzzles involving Brad&Janet (AUS), Pingurus (GER), Max and 99 (USA), Jocasife (POR), and Vooruit! (NED), and will start writing the listing together soon. If anybody else is interested in participating, please let us know by Monday morning, and you can still be a part of the World Cache. Thank you very much for your interest! 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, just seen these posts.... We live on the Atlantic Coast of France, near to Royan.  We are in contact with several french geocachers, the area gets lots of visitors in the summer.

We could help with translation too.   Would be interested in helping.

 

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Les Pandas said:

Hi, just seen these posts.... We live on the Atlantic Coast of France, near to Royan.  We are in contact with several french geocachers, the area gets lots of visitors in the summer.

We could help with translation too.   Would be interested in helping.

 

Are you now part of the cache? I hope so!

Share this post


Link to post

My cache is placed, with permission, and the location pre-checked by the Reviewer. Just waiting on further instructions. Think will be fun!

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

A big thanks for Datenkaros for putting this all together. Everything is starting to make sense to me now! I was making it way harder than I needed to. Haha. Can't wait.

 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hello. I', from Lisbon, Portugal and available to make a team for this nice project.

Share this post


Link to post

Hello. I', from Lisbon, Portugal and available to make a team for this nice project.

Share this post


Link to post

Live in central Oklahoma, USA and want to start TEAM UNITED to find the World Caches. Email is BoomerBuckeyes@aol.com  

 

i have joined a team team from Netherlands. Let the adventure begin!

 

Edited by BoomerBuckeyes

Share this post


Link to post

Hi,

I'm from Lisboa, Portugal.

 

1. I'm looking for a geocacher around Cambridge, UK to go to the Fitzwilliam Museum, and find the coin on the image on this listing: https://coord.info/GC7FR39

Please send me the number of the case, the maker, his born and died years.

 

2. I'm available to join a team to find the "Virtual World Cache - Cambridge University Museums" https://coord.info/GC7B7B5

 

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/21/2018 at 11:01 AM, BoomerBuckeyes said:

Live in central Oklahoma, USA and want to start TEAM UNITED to find the World Caches. Email is BoomerBuckeyes@aol.com  

 

Completed my OK World Cache mission. Fantastic fun!

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi

Eu sou de Portugal.

 

1. Estou à procura de um geocacher em Cambridge, Reino Unido, para ir ao Museu Fitzwilliam e encontre a imagem que esta disponível em:   https://coord.info/GC7FR39

Por favor, envie-me o número do caso, o fabricante, is birthday e morreu anos.

 

2. Estou disponível para participar de uma equipe para encontrar o "Cache do Mundo Virtual - Museus da Universidade de Cambridge"   https://coord.info/GC7B7B5

sharp21

Obrigado

Edited by sharq21

Share this post


Link to post

Why so much cheating on these World caches? Because it's a unique cache? 

I am so thrilled to be part of this cache series!! Beyond appreciative for all the work that went into it.  But I am so disappointed in the cheating. My code requires some field work that I'm 100% sure cannot be determined online. So the only way someone can log a Found It without my country's teammate is for someone else to give it to them. Sharing codes so you don't have to find a teammate.  Sending the completely solved puzzle for someone else's cache so your partner doesn't have to look at the D4 puzzle. That makes it a D1 now. I'm very disappointed.

Share this post


Link to post

The caches in the Netherlands and Portugal (part of this world cache) were found before anyone visited the museum in Cambridge to get the necessary info. When we said we didn't want anyone in our team who thinks it is more important to get a FTF instead of doing the cache as intended by the cache owners, we were told that what they were doing was also according to the CO's intentions.

 

We read the cache pages several times, but apparently to these people only the sentence "find the code of the object" is of any importance, all other sentences are less important. Refusing to cooperate with people who share codes, claiming FTFs without even having a team, we made ourselves less popular.

 

Especially here in Europe sharing codes, coordinates etc. seems to be something geocachers do more and more. Complete databases with (TB)codes, solutions and coordinates are shared among groups of cachers on Facebook and other sites. It's sad, not only do they miss out on a lot of fun aspects of this game, but they will never learn anything new, everything must be quick and easy and statistics are more important than the experience they could have had. Of course that's their choice, or as they say "everyone plays they game the way they like to play it", but what they forget is to have any respect for the cache owners who put in so much effort to set up special caches. But when you try to explain this, their response is "we gave a favorite, so the CO must be happy and shouldn't complain, he should be glad his cache is found that's what counts". 

 

The only thing you can do is ignore these cachers, focus on the ones who do the cache as intended and enjoy their stories. Hopefully when all FTF/STF/TTF are gone, only cachers who are really interested in doing the cache (instead of just logging the cache) will participate. Although I expect the cache info of the caches in the Netherlands and Portugal will be in in all databases as soon as the finals are published and found. For those who really want to enjoy the international team aspect it is important to check whether a cacher has already found the cache before forming a team, and then just ignore these cachers and form a team only with those who are willing to wait for the info they need to find their cache. 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post

Dutch CO here. I was surprised to learn that my part of the cache can be done by information available online. That was not foreseen by any of us COs. Still, I can live with it, as long as the majority of the logs will be of cachers that actually formed a team. Of course, the coordinate will be out in the open eventually, that's how it goes here in the Netherlands.

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, Vooruit! said:

Dutch CO here. I was surprised to learn that my part of the cache can be done by information available online. That was not foreseen by any of us COs. Still, I can live with it, as long as the majority of the logs will be of cachers that actually formed a team. Of course, the coordinate will be out in the open eventually, that's how it goes here in the Netherlands.

I do understand the online issue. My code cannot be found online. All this sharing of codes between teams makes team members irrelevant, defeating the spirit of a world cache.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

I would like to thank Datenkaros for the awesome certificate he sent today. I have framed it already and to add to the surprise he kindly added a pathtag too, which will be safely looked after as I love path tags :D

Thank you also to the other World Cache CO's participating in this adventure. We had fun doing it and I'm a bit sad it's all over now.

4lv2v.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hello  from Portugsl Oeiras,

I am interested in being able to collaborate with this project.

 

Joaquim

KelKim Team

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, but there is no need, both because the team is complete, and because of the team already having a member from Portugal. :)

Share this post


Link to post

 

On 12/19/2018 at 10:16 AM, KelKim Team said:

Hello  from Portugsl Oeiras,

I am interested in being able to collaborate with this project.

 

Joaquim

KelKim Team

 

4 hours ago, Vooruit! said:

Thanks, but there is no need, both because the team is complete, and because of the team already having a member from Portugal. :)

 

Do not be put off by Vooruit!

I'm certain that there are other 'teams' which will want a cache in your area, KelKim Team.  Good luck!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/7/2018 at 7:24 PM, Max and 99 said:

Why so much cheating on these World caches? Because it's a unique cache? 

I am so thrilled to be part of this cache series!! Beyond appreciative for all the work that went into it.  But I am so disappointed in the cheating. My code requires some field work that I'm 100% sure cannot be determined online. So the only way someone can log a Found It without my country's teammate is for someone else to give it to them. Sharing codes so you don't have to find a teammate.  Sending the completely solved puzzle for someone else's cache so your partner doesn't have to look at the D4 puzzle. That makes it a D1 now. I'm very disappointed.

 

Congratulations to you all on getting this cache up. I ran across this while 'surfing' the Forums on Christmas Eve after finalizing posting on Laval K-9's Joyeux Noel Missions.

 

Don't be disheartened because there are people who will not 'do the work' and instead cheat. Cheaters will always be with us. There are always 2 ways to play a game; 1) By the rules and 2) Not by the rules. They are the ones who lose. However, that they DO cheat does nothing to diminish your accomplishment. Isn't the joy in fielding a cache actually IN the fielding of the cache? And, of course, in the comments of those who find it.

 

So, don't be discouraged. Cache on, cache on with hope in your heart - and you'll never cache alone! er...OK. And I have to admit, anytime I see Portugese during the holiday season I am instantly reminded of Love, Actually.

 

'...I heard Signal exclaim 'e're he drove out of sight, "Happy Caching to all! Go and find one, tonight!" '

Happy New Year.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, K13 said:

 

 

 

Do not be put off by Vooruit!

I'm certain that there are other 'teams' which will want a cache in your area, KelKim Team.  Good luck!

 

You totally misunderstand. I'm all for another World Cache project, I'm just saying that our project is complete and has been running for a couple of months now.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Vooruit! said:

 

You totally misunderstand. I'm all for another World Cache project, I'm just saying that our project is complete and has been running for a couple of months now.

 

Had you written your statement in this manner, there would have been no misunderstanding. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/26/2018 at 7:22 PM, K13 said:

 

Had you written your statement in this manner, there would have been no misunderstanding. 

 

This topic is not about world caches in general, but about the world cache project started by Datenkaros. Therefore it's more than clear what is meant by 'the team'.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Vooruit! said:

 

This topic is not about world caches in general, but about the world cache project started by Datenkaros. Therefore it's more than clear what is meant by 'the team'.

 

Obviously not clear, or there would have been no post by the other persons in the thread. I read the entire thread and see a Team listed, of which you are not a part.  That clearly shows that the thread is not limited to the team of unknown members started by datenkaros.

 

The rudeness you exhibited to KelKim Team was not what I or others want to see in the Forums.

Share this post


Link to post

Stop accusing me of things I clearly did not do. You, sir, are the one that's being rude. My post to KelKim Team could be more clear, I will admit that much, but calling it rude is just a part of your own imagination.

Share this post


Link to post

Because the team for this cooperation cache has already formed, and the thread has devolved to bickering, I'm closing the thread.  If someone would like to create a new cooperation cache team, please start a new thread.

  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 8

×