is GPS necessary do you think

christyglpn

I've listened to several geocaching podcasts where the cacher(s) used the map method for hundreds of caches. I've not done it personally as I am using my smartphone at present, but I'm sure it does add an additional level of challenge to the find.

I have used the maps in the past to check my coords./accuracy, so they certainly are helpful. I say if it works for you and you're having fun, why not! There's no rules (within reason) to how this game/sport/hobby is played - that's what makes it so much fun! :D

If you can't afford one then don't use one. I found a couple of caches like this however once you get to more unique containers such as fake rocks it becomes a fair bit harder. Also caches in bush areas.

It is your choice though. If you do decide to get a GPS there are some which are relatively cheap.

You don't need a gun for hunting....you can use a bow, knife, of jump from a tree and hit something in the head with a rock.

While you can find caches on street signs and light poles without a GPS most folks prefer caching in the woods and thats where an accurate unit comes in handy. There are some nice older units on sale on Ebay and other sites....check garage sale on this site.

You don't need a gun for hunting....you can use a bow, knife, of jump from a tree and hit something in the head with a rock.

While you can find caches on street signs and light poles without a GPS most folks prefer caching in the woods and thats where an accurate unit comes in handy. There are some nice older units on sale on Ebay and other sites....check garage sale on this site.

I guess that's true. I have found one in a local park in a wooded area so I can see what you mean.

I'm sure bigger caches with better prizes are easiest found with a gps

I've listened to several geocaching podcasts where the cacher(s) used the map method for hundreds of caches. I've not done it personally as I am using my smartphone at present, but I'm sure it does add an additional level of challenge to the find.

I have used the maps in the past to check my coords./accuracy, so they certainly are helpful. I say if it works for you and you're having fun, why not! There's no rules (within reason) to how this game/sport/hobby is played - that's what makes it so much fun! :D

I have an android RAZR any tips on apps.

I know a few who rarely or never use a GPS. It's not hard at all when urban caching or finding caches where there are obvious landmarks visible in sat photos, but finding one in the woods is a whole different story.

To show examples...this should be pretty easy to find.

1d932080-6f1d-47c2-a8fa-86a8fbcd57f8.jpg

This one will take some pretty mad skills, or incredible luck to find without a GPS (there are s few who can do it consistently. EdScott comes to mind)

77e803e4-d630-4f5b-828f-26df6c3ac945.jpg

If you're content with finding caches on street corners and in parking lots you may probably never find a need for a GPS. If you want to experience all that geocaching has to offer then a GPS is almost essential. You can find perfectly serviceable GPS units used for under $100 or even under $50 if you check Ebay or the Garage Sale forum here. I wish I had an extra to give you, but I gave all of my old ones away...except for my 60CSX. Nobody gets that unless it's through my will.

Edited by briansnat

Then riddle me this, BatBam....if most folks prefer caching in the woods then why do most folks HIDE caches in shopping center parking lots? Or at least it seems like that some days....😳

Then riddle me this, BatBam....if most folks prefer caching in the woods then why do most folks HIDE caches in shopping center parking lots? Or at least it seems like that some days....😳

Us woodsy cachers are in the definite minority. Urban caches by far outnumber the woodsy caches. And it's great to have so much variety to choose from.

If you plan to do woods caches there are a couple of things to know before you start: 1. In my area the Google maps are very clear and give me an accurate position of the cache, but they can be out of focus and not well aligned to the real coordinates. After doing a few you may find you have to adjust a few feet in a particular direction. This can also be checked by going to Google for the map, putting the cursor where the cache is supposed to be, hitting your "shift" key and comparing the coordinates that come up with the published ones. If the photos in your area were taken when the leaves were down it is not too difficult to navigate through the woods. One good technique is to determine the direction of all the tree shadows.. they will establish a series of parallel lines across your map. Any "shadow" that does not align with the others is really a fallen tree. Navigate from one to the next until you reach your spot. 2. People leave tracks in the woods. After a cache has been found a few times ground zero is usually well defined. If your photos are summer shots then navigate to a visible feature that is as close as possible to the cache then do a pace and compass from there. Be sure of the scale of your map and check the topographic version for any other details that might help. On Brian's photo I'd be using those little clearings in the SE part of the map as a starting point. There is also a bit of a SE to NW line that could be a stream or trail to get much closer, but maybe it is just a change in tree height or cliff?? That's all part of the challenge. I enjoy the challenge of GPS-less caching, but there are times when it is good to just turn on a GPS, turn off the brain, and walk to the cache.

I just started geocaching. can't afford a GPS. have found 3 caches so far.

I am sure a GPS makes it easier. but it seems more fun without,especially for those who like a challenge.

I tend to just look at maps on site to get nearest intersection.

Yes it's possible to find them without a GPS, but you can't place a cache without one.

It really ticks me off when people say they can't afford a GPS. Maybe you can't afford a high end $500 touch screen with camera, by you can get a basic one for $100 or less. You can get a decent one for $200. That's a 3 or 4 extra shifts. Maybe an odd job or 2. Sell some old video games you don't play. Got a birthday coming up? If you want it bad enough you'll find a way to get one. I "funded" a $500 project without spending a single extra dollar. Go rid if some old stuff, to pay for new stuff.

Or you can but a smartphone, and use an app. I do t know where you're from, but around here you can find an iPhone 3 for $50-$100. It might not be the latest device but it works just fine.

I am sure a GPS makes it easier. but it seems more fun without,especially for those who like a challenge.

Yes it's possible to find them without a GPS, but you can't place a cache without one.

It really ticks me off when people say they can't afford a GPS. Maybe you can't afford a high end $500 touch screen with camera, by you can get a basic one for $100 or less. You can get a decent one for $200. That's a 3 or 4 extra shifts. Maybe an odd job or 2. Sell some old video games you don't play. Got a birthday coming up? If you want it bad enough you'll find a way to get one. I "funded" a $500 project without spending a single extra dollar. Go rid if some old stuff, to pay for new stuff.

Or you can but a smartphone, and use an app. I do t know where you're from, but around here you can find an iPhone 3 for $50-$100. It might not be the latest device but it works just fine.

Or... you just ask if someone has an older GPS still lying around and would be willing to part with if for a reasonable inexpensive price.

You may be ranting about a middle school kid with a very limited budget. In any event it isn't a great way to say welcome to the community.

Hey Chief

The vast majority of folks live in urban areas and tend to hide caches close to where they live ( good idea for maint. ). Also, these " woods " we always talk about are private property and in the country there sometimes is less " public " space than urban areas. Its why P & G's are so plentiful even in the country...all the medians and public spaces bordering parking lots are close to the streets and these are the only areas that aren't private property. I think there are caches in public parks and playgrounds throughout most cities and also in the country.....the only areas left open for placement are P & G type locations.

You can do it without if you want to use Google maps. It might be easy enough for caches in parking lots but if you want to find caches in the forest you'll want a GPS. You can get a good used one for 50 bucks. No reason you can't find that if you're motivated. Sell some stuff, do some extra chores if you're a kid.

Or you can but a smartphone, and use an app. I don't know where you're from, but around here you can find an iPhone 3 for $50-$100. It might not be the latest device but it works just fine.

You may be ranting about a middle school kid with a very limited budget. In any event it isn't a great way to say welcome to the community.

It may not have been the best welcome, but everything I said is valid. Middle school kids still play video games, have birthdays, mow yards and shovel snow right? Is anything I said incorrect? I've gotten a fair bit of stuff using those ways-including my $500 project, and my first, and current GPS.

Edited by T.D.M.22

OK so wound up downloading a GPS app to smart phone. It has

already taken me on quite the adventure. it tends to

take you the hard way. have gone through practically a marsh in

the woods. scooted on my butt downhill. though that one was a bit by

choice. battle thick and next to impossible brushes.

though succeeded 2 out of 4 tries today so I am happy

Or you can but a smartphone, and use an app. I don't know where you're from, but around here you can find an iPhone 3 for $50-$100. It might not be the latest device but it works just fine.

It may not have been the best welcome, but everything I said is valid. Middle school kids still play video games, have birthdays, mow yards and shovel snow right? Is anything I said incorrect? I've gotten a fair bit of stuff using those ways-including my $500 project, and my first, and current GPS.

It is possible to give advise with out being "ticked off".

OK so wound up downloading a GPS app to smart phone. It has

already taken me on quite the adventure. it tends to

take you the hard way. have gone through practically a marsh in

the woods. scooted on my butt downhill. though that one was a bit by

choice. battle thick and next to impossible brushes.

though succeeded 2 out of 4 tries today so I am happy

Great to hear!

And yeah, sometimes you have to take your eyes off the GPS and determine the best route yourself. It's going to point you directly to the coordinates, but it doesn't tell you how to get there. :)

Don't worry, going the long way is normal. And so is finding a path 5 feet from the cache after you go the long way...

AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaamen to that probably >90% of cachers have taken the hard way in and the easy way out. LOL, LOL

Good caching buddy mentioned that it took him two years to realize that few cache hiders bushwhack to place their hides. ( dirtbag exceptions duly noted )

Welcome!

I just use a GPS app on my smartphone which works just fine. When I started I was just putting the co-ords into google maps and relying on previois logs/hints to get me closer to GZ. The hunt certainly was a lot more annoying fun until I got the app.

Once i'm ready for some extreme Geocaching i'll buy a GPS, but until then the app is fine

I started a little after you did.

While I have a GPS on my motorcycle (pricing a Garmin Zumo for motorcycles will make the units in the Geocaching store look like bargains, but I had it on the bike already).

That gets me into the neighborhood. I haven't tried it in "walking mode" (the unit has no such mode, I'd just be walking with it in my hand), but I've got 3 apps on my Android phone: Geocaching ($9.99), c:geo (free), Commander Compass ($1.49).

My friends who got me into this, just by mentioning what they found, have Commander Compass Lite on their iPhones. The iPhone Lite version appears to have more functionality than the Android Lite version, but $1.49 is hardly a killer price.

I haven't used any of these enough to make recommendations. I'm just pointing out that there are less expensive solutions that are better than a map or nothing.

My opinion for what it's worth. If someone is excited.to start geocaching. And asking for advice from experienced.cachers. The last.thing we should is get "ticked off" and put them down because of.their.financial position. I know a few people who have to decide if they should pay bills or feed their kids. Don't slam people asking for advice in my opinion thats just mean.

My opinion for what it's worth. If someone is excited.to start geocaching. And asking for advice from experienced.cachers. The last.thing we should is get "ticked off" and put them down because of.their.financial position. I know a few people who have to decide if they should pay bills or feed their kids. Don't slam people asking for advice in my opinion thats just mean.

I did not slam anyone. If I can't be ticked off, you can't tell I can't be ticked off. That's putting me down. I did not slam or attack anyone(It's not like I said if you need the money that bad, you should be looking for a job, not having fun), I did not put the OP down based on financial position. I pointed out that people saying the can't afford this ticks me off because they don't try to afford it(I don't mean not saving money, I mean they don't even know its not a super expensive thing.) And for the third time-Was anything I said incorrect? No-it's not. People can get part time jobs, people can sell stuff they don't use. If you want a GPS, there is no reason why you can't get one. Maybe not this second, but it won't take long. A GPS can be had for under $100, one time. It's not like you have to come up with $800 every month for it. Even one dollar a day for 2 months can get you a GPS, or a used smartphone. It won't be high end, but it will work. That same GPS used-$50 or less. I've even seen the old blue Garmin(Etrex?) for $20. There was also someone here who said

Or... you just ask if someone has an older GPS still lying around and would be willing to part with if for a reasonable inexpensive price
I know not everyone would do it, but I'm sure there's more then a few older GPSr's laying around when cachers have upgraded. I have an old yellow etrex that just sits and is a display for geocaching 101 type things. If I met a cacher who need a GPS, I'd work something out.

I too also know people who live paycheck to paycheck. These same people, when they want something, perhaps a special birthday gift, make it happen. I've know someone who has worked 12 hours a day 5 days a week between two jobs, then on her own on weekends to get that stuff. They wanted something and they found a way to get it, rather then not trying.

There are other ways to-you just might have to work more for it, which makes it that much more special when you get it. My point has been made, and the only issue is that I "slammed" the OP. That must mean-surprise, surprise, the options I gave are viable.

Don't like the way I say it? There's 2 things you should do about it then. #1 Ignore it. #2 Don't do what I do.

Edited by T.D.M.22

I also never said you need one to find geocaches-in fact I said it's possible to find geocaches without a GPS. Had I meant to be rude, or mean, or discourage the OP, I would have said it in a way that would have gotten me a vacation from the forums.

Edited by T.D.M.22

I think Christy's question was answered and glad to hear she is now part of the geocaching world.

Since this thread has drifted in the wrong direction, I'm closing it with a reminder that this is the "kinder and gentler" forum and the first encounter novices have with other geocacachers. Let's not scare them away before they even get started.