Event Caches - Can a host log himself/herself as Attended?

Reddevil1976

Yes, you can, I would say about 3 out of every 5 unique cache owners will log their own event as attended in the Seattle area (did the math once). Up to you. I personally do not. I feel one either hosts it or attends it. I'd probably log my own CITO though if I was doing any work because I can host it and work in it, but that is my own semantics, am sure others would not log their own CITO either.

Your call.

Some might chime in and call it "cheesy", and others (as you've seen already) will say it's just fine.

If you want to log your own event which you attended, go for it. You "Attended".

But, logging your own caches as "Found" isn't the same. As stated above, you can't "find" something you already knew the location of.

:unsure:

What about those CO that host events in other countries so they can get the "cache" in that country without driving for miles for the nearest cache?

:ph34r:

For the last WWFM there was a flashmob event posted in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. I was on an airplane en-route to Addis Ababa at the time the event occurred (and had not yet found a cache in Ethiopia) so I just missed it by a few hours. I checked the listing the next day and saw that the CO had the only attended log for the flash mob. I was able to find a cache there during my trip so I guess I won't be hosting an event there the next time I go (possibly next year). It looks like the CO for the WWFM event actually lives there and has placed a couple of traditional caches in the area.

Is it or can it be considered to be bad form or unsporting or both for a host of an event to log an "Attended" log to their own event? We have always been told that this is bad form and should be avoided. Can I ask what does everyone else think???

Attending an event is different from finding a cache. You can't find your own cache when you placed it and know where it is. But if you attended an event, even if you hosted it, then you,, uh, attended it. You're simply stating a fact...

Is it or can it be considered to be bad form or unsporting or both for a host of an event to log an "Attended" log to their own event? We have always been told that this is bad form and should be avoided. Can I ask what does everyone else think???

I have attended over 50 events in about ten different caching communities in Germany, Virginia, Maryland, Alabama, and Oklahoma. The only ones the event owner didn't post an attended log themselves were the two mega events and a CITO associated with one of the mega events. It may not be universal, but it's widely practiced, from my experience.