Headstone Cache

cejs

So, in doing some estate planning, I started thinking: Could I incorporate a cache container into my future headstone? That way I'd get regular visitors. Maybe I could even have my final cache count on the stone.

What else should I consider? I mean I only get one shot at this after all...

We have prepaid much of our final arrangements, including our cemetery plots. Geocacher that I am, I couldn't resist a cache placement. It's called, "Meet my future neighbors" and the cache container is right on my plot. I suppose once I'm actually "there" (hopefully not for a long long time) my Muggle Hubby will probably move the cache container. Sigh. Pretty sure he won't go for a cache container IN my headstone.

What else should I consider?

How about a Puzzle? Engrave a head-scratcher on the headstone :laughing:. Container can be elsewhere, and maybe the puzzle can be modified on the cache page (do a little extra math with the coords) if the container ever needs to be moved.

I guess I'd want exact coordinates for mine. "Here Lies Kunarious R. Smith. He Finally Got The Coords Right".

Edited by kunarion
What else should I consider?

How about a Puzzle? Engrave a head-scratcher on the headstone :laughing:. Container can be elsewhere, and maybe the puzzle can be modified on the cache page (do a little extra math with the coords) if the container ever needs to be moved.

I guess I'd want exact coordinates for mine. "Here Lies Kunarious R. Smith. He Finally Got The Coords Right".

Thats what I thought. Make it as a puzzle. What if the cemetery ban caches on their ground and what if there's a cache too close and etc. Down side of having a cache on the tombstone is that it can become a high maintenance issue.

I have often thought it would be cool to put a puzzle on a headstone, but then again, am probably not going to bother with a headstone/burial so its moot. Think the idea is cool, assuming you have someone willing to maintain said cache/puzzle afterwards.

I have often thought it would be cool to put a puzzle on a headstone, but then again, am probably not going to bother with a headstone/burial so its moot. Think the idea is cool, assuming you have someone willing to maintain said cache/puzzle afterwards.

You can always take the final path that Uncle Elwyn did...forever caching.

Edited by Sharks-N-Beans

The first question is who's doing the maintenance?

I am known for my dislike of cemetery caches. Most of the local ones are on my ignore list (including one of BrianSnat's!)

But there is a local mystery cache with the starting point in a cemetery. (I have not solved the puzzle.) I was visiting another local cemetery, paying due respects, and noticed a headstone with a compartment on it. (Aha! Thought I.) Opened the compartment and found a photo of the dearly departed. I had never heard of photos on headstones, but this cemetery seems to have a fair number. It must be a diffrent cultural heritage.

Yes! Let's paw around headstones looking for hidden caches! Nope. Not I! The one that Brian mentioned is on my Ignore List.

I am known for my dislike of cemetery caches. Most of the local ones are on my ignore list (including one of BrianSnat's!)

But there is a local mystery cache with the starting point in a cemetery. (I have not solved the puzzle.) I was visiting another local cemetery, paying due respects, and noticed a headstone with a compartment on it. (Aha! Thought I.) Opened the compartment and found a photo of the dearly departed. I had never heard of photos on headstones, but this cemetery seems to have a fair number. It must be a diffrent cultural heritage.

Yes! Let's paw around headstones looking for hidden caches! Nope. Not I! The one that Brian mentioned is on my Ignore List.

So it is okay to open a random compartment on somebody's headstone as long as there is no cache involved?

I think if you contacted your local geocaching organization you would find an endless supply of people willing to do maintenance on such a different and interesting cache. You could even will it to the organization so that to could be properly taken care off after you are archived.

What most people fail to realize (including most cemetary managers) is that when you buy a cemetary plot, that little piece of property belongs to YOU. My mom inhereted a box of papers from her mother when she died, and it included a real deed to the cemetary plot that had several generations of relatives interred in it. I think it would be cool to have a headstone carved that included a recess for a bison tube. Perhaps an arched top, with a comnpass rose and a removable brass plug in the center.

I think if you contacted your local geocaching organization you would find an endless supply of people willing to do maintenance on such a different and interesting cache. You could even will it to the organization so that to could be properly taken care off after you are archived.

I guess an enlightened cemetery company could add "geocache maintenance" to their list of optional services. This could be an additional source of revenue for them. After all, the standard services include "perpetual maintenance" of the plot, grass, etc. A cemetery cache could then actually have maintenance equal or superior to most other caches!