leaving a business card with your swag...

tweetiepy

I have a lot of hobbies that I have tried - some I stayed with others I put aside for another time. I've done lapidary work and chainmaille as well and thought of leaving some polished stones or small bracelets in the cache to trade. I was wondering if it's bad form to include a card with the item in case someone wanted to know more about the item or if they wanted to get more and wanted to contact the trader? The items would more than likely be of a higher value than what I would take and probably someone who took that item might not replace with equal value but how would I know that?

Is it allowed or frowned upon to do this? and should I do it? or even leave those items without the card.

Honestly this may be a non-issue as most caches around our area are micros or small. I have yet to see a cache with swag but I was looking for an answer anyways.

I don't like seeing business cards by themselves, but if you make a nice item and attach a small card with your geocaching name, I think that's OK. I think it's going a bit too far including your business url, for example, but a 'hand-crafted by tweetiepy' should be fine.

The main issue I've seen with cards is they tend to degrade and get dirty over time. If you could make them out of plastic or laminate them, they may hold up better.

Aside from it being tacky(different people have different opinions) being against the rules(depending on what's on the car) and the other questions there is a good reason not to-It's paper. It WILL get wet-no seal on the containers, cracked containers, missing lid, caching in the snow/rain. It will get wet eventually. I would NEVER leave it in a cache that's not found regularly. I could see one in a cache that's found daily-but generally wouldn't do it. I adopted a cache that had a card in it for I think 3 years. Fell apart as soon as I picked it up-bits of card attached to everything.

We had business-sized cards made to place in the baggies that all our swag goes in.

Usually a traded up item, thought maybe folks would want to know who doesn't leave broken Mctoys.

We've stopped at many over time (usually with someone who never hit that hide) and we not only see our cards were left, but the baggies too.

- We still put all swag in a bag (sometimes it's the only thing not damp, we find out later), but no longer put moisture-absorbing cards that no one (really) cares about in any longer.

I was wondering if it's bad form to include a card with the item in case someone wanted to know more about the item or if they wanted to get more and wanted to contact the trader?

Absolutely not!

If it (the item, not the card) could be considered a signature item, I would prefer some way to connect it to you after I have added it to my collection of sig items. Plus, I just might be in the market for a mail shirt!

I was wondering if it's bad form to include a card with the item in case someone wanted to know more about the item or if they wanted to get more and wanted to contact the trader?

It wouldn't bother me in the least but I would bet money that some COs would have something to say about it.

Edited by Zerpersande

Since many geocachers appear to CITO/dislike business cards why not put information in some different format? l0n3 r provided very nice examples. I would be proud to check any of my geocaches and find such items with information about where/how one can see more souvenirs like that or even purchase them.

Again, I say leave it. The folks leaving all the geoswag and such are making money from the hobby, Groundspeak makes money, so why get left out. Hell, I say throw in some coupons, business cards, and more. What is Groundspeak going to do, inspect each cache? I use to be all hard up about this...but it is a pointless fight. The honest people aren't even honest anymore. The hobby is about making money. From $100+ coin sales, to ads everywhere, to caches placed adjacent to businesses for the goal of walk-in revenue.

I think in some cases, the folks saying not to do it, are the ones doing it and don't want the competition.

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

Again, I say leave it. The folks leaving all the geoswag and such are making money from the hobby, Groundspeak makes money, so why get left out. Hell, I say throw in some coupons, business cards, and more. What is Groundspeak going to do, inspect each cache? I use to be all hard up about this...but it is a pointless fight. The honest people aren't even honest anymore. The hobby is about making money. From $100+ coin sales, to ads everywhere, to caches placed adjacent to businesses for the goal of walk-in revenue.

I think in some cases, the folks saying not to do it, are the ones doing it and don't want the competition.

WOW, what a bitter attitude. I,m not sure why you would say "The hobby is about making money"? I know a lot of the local Geocachers, and I don't know a single one who makes money playing the game.

Like any game, there is money to be made by supporting it. However, I don't have a problem with Groundspeak, or those who sell the coins, nor with those who sell containers or any other supporting item, making money.

Let me add that IMHO, a lot of caches placed adjacent to businesses are put there because the hider likes the place and would like to share it with others. Not really for the goal of walk-in revenue. Most of the caches I have found near a business, were put there by people who have no other connection to that business other than liking it.

The hobby is about making money.

Silly me, thinking it was about having fun and getting outside.

It is...I mostly was just pointing out many don't follow this thinking. I was essentially posting ironically (because I've stressed in other threads in a very anti-money centralized position).

Don't kid yourself folks, there are many that are hear for the money.

But I do find it rather hypocritical for such rules that say you can't have commercial oriented material, when Groudspeak has so commercialized itself. A business card in a cache is more or less on the level as the ads from car dealers, hotels, insurance, etc. found on the site. It isn't huge, or obtrusive. Besides hey, make a little gas money for more caching! Seems fair right. Most all hobbies (especially ones this big) have folks marketing all the time. I mean, sure, some surfers HATE the commercialization of their sport, but it is there.

So frankly, if you don't want cards in the caches, then you have to push for no ads, or no premium memberships, etc. Doesn't that seem illogical of an argument.

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior
But I do find it rather hypocritical for such rules that say you can't have commercial oriented material, when Groudspeak has so commercialized itself.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the guidelines say you cannot leave a business card in a cache. It does say the cache cannot be commercial in nature. A cache put out with a lot of business cards and coupons, and listed in such a way as to bring attention to them would not be allowed. The business cards and coupons are not the problem, making them part of the cache is.

If you had a friend with a pizza place near your cache, and you say there are coupons for pizza in the cache, probably not allowed. If you just visited the cache once a week and replaced the coupons without mentioning it, I think you would be OK.

There are plenty of cachers who, for some good reasons, do not like to see business cards in the caches. There are many others who don't care.

As long as they are clean and dry, and any coupons are not expired, they don't bother me at all. There is nothing I see that is hypocritical in any of that.

But I do find it rather hypocritical for such rules that say you can't have commercial oriented material, when Groudspeak has so commercialized itself.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the guidelines say you cannot leave a business card in a cache. It does say the cache cannot be commercial in nature. A cache put out with a lot of business cards and coupons, and listed in such a way as to bring attention to them would not be allowed. The business cards and coupons are not the problem, making them part of the cache is.

If you had a friend with a pizza place near your cache, and you say there are coupons for pizza in the cache, probably not allowed. If you just visited the cache once a week and replaced the coupons without mentioning it, I think you would be OK.

There are plenty of cachers who, for some good reasons, do not like to see business cards in the caches. There are many others who don't care.

As long as they are clean and dry, and any coupons are not expired, they don't bother me at all. There is nothing I see that is hypocritical in any of that.

No, I also believe you are correct in that business cards are not prohibited in the rules. There are rules on caches being commercial, political, religious, etc. (if I remember right). There have been caches that have skipped by reviewers (somehow :lol: ) but got flagged later. In some cases it is just subtle enough to get past and remain. Then there have been obvious commercialization like the Jeep sponsored travel bugs, then Geico, etc.

I'm just discussing it. Not saying I'm right or anything. Just throwing stuff out there for perspective.

LMFAO that they turned you down. God forbid. Doesn't matter that DISNEY does murder and mystery in their childrens movies. I mean some of the stuff I've seen on the ads is FAR from "family oriented". Of course not sure how far back they did. The recent ads on the site maybe a new loosening of their criteria.

You are good to go in my opinion. Hell, I doubt anyone would be against it. Heck...I'd even resubmit (if it's been a while) for advertising.

Also...is your book on iBooks? I've got a book I'm getting ready to make into an iBook. Seems like geocaching topic would be a great iBook.

Don't kid yourself folks, there are many that are hear for the money.

Well, I know for sure that if I could figure out an angle where I could make money off Geocaching I would be all over that concept like a bad rash.

And why not?

If I can provide a service that others find useful, shouldn't I be compensated for my effort? :unsure:

P.S.

Here implies a specific location.

Hear implies detection of sound.

I'm OK with seeing cache items bearing signatures, but cards get soggy and smudged over time and i've even encountered a couple of caches which contained so many cards that trckables were buried at the bottom. Nobody trades for a business card so they just pile up. A card attached to swag will move at least. I've yet to encounter a swag item attached to a card that required patronage of the business in order to make proper use of the item and would probably be peeved if it was the case.

Lots of people also put it stuff that bears company logos without intending to advertise, eg McToys, pens bearing company names and contacts etc.

I'm OK with seeing cache items bearing signatures, but cards get soggy and smudged over time and i've even encountered a couple of caches which contained so many cards that trckables were buried at the bottom. Nobody trades for a business card so they just pile up. A card attached to swag will move at least. I've yet to encounter a swag item attached to a card that required patronage of the business in order to make proper use of the item and would probably be peeved if it was the case.

Lots of people also put it stuff that bears company logos without intending to advertise, eg McToys, pens bearing company names and contacts etc.

You make good points. When I was employed by a local government agency (the transit district) I got some free swag from the PR department, e.g. pencils with the agency logo, rulers, etc., and would place those in caches, but I felt it was appropriate to the general environmental awareness orientation of geocachers, encouraging public transit use. I also had a series of themed unknown caches going on local government agencies, where you had to learn a bit about each one to answer some easy questions and they were useful for that. I did not do this for personal gain, but it was advertising of a sort. In fact, everything with a Groundspeak logo on it is advertising. They're a profit-making corporation like everyone else, but so far no one I know of has objected to that practice. I feel that as long as it is something that might be of interest, commercial or otherwise, to geocachers in particular, then it's okay. If it's just trying to secure business with no geocaching element, then it's tacky, although not a violation of any rule I know.

Ordinary paper business cards to get soggy and crumpled and if they have nothing to do with geocaching, I think they are pointless at best, just trash. But the trading cards I mentioned on my books baseball trading cards, for that matter, which I have seen in caches as swag) are stronger and usually coated, and if placed in the bag with the log book, or a separate bag, typically stay in good shape. Mine at least pertain directly to geocaching.

On 2/13/2013 at 4:18 PM, T.D.M.22 said:

Aside from it being tacky(different people have different opinions) being against the rules(depending on what's on the car) and the other questions there is a good reason not to-It's paper. It WILL get wet-no seal on the containers, cracked containers, missing lid, caching in the snow/rain. It will get wet eventually. I would NEVER leave it in a cache that's not found regularly. I could see one in a cache that's found daily-but generally wouldn't do it. I adopted a cache that had a card in it for I think 3 years. Fell apart as soon as I picked it up-bits of card attached to everything.

I can't imagine Tweetiepy or others leaving a hand made item in a wet, cracked cache, or one in a bad place. Just consider the cache and where it is. I do for leaving TBs and trinkets (jewellery and fridge magnets mostly at present.) It's common sense.