Team Members In Two Places

julie330

My husband and I are a geocaching team and log all our finds together. However, he travels quite a bit overseas and finds caches in other countries. When he is away, I cache by myself here in AZ. Is it OK to log our separate caches under the same name? In other words, he will be logging caches in Singapore the same day I would be logging caches in AZ. What's fair?

I know a couple of other 'teams' right here in Arizona who will do that, although not usually at such a great separation.

There is no 'rule' against it, but I personally find the practice rather cheesy. <_<

Right up there with posting multiple 'Attended' logs for an event that had some temporary caches as event entertainment. :rolleyes:

I would suggest separate accounts to accurately reflect the caches that each of you found, whether together or separately.

I know other couples who share a single account. They just log all their finds under their shared account, whether the cache was found by one or by the other or by both.

But logging caches in Singapore and AZ on the same date (or even on alternate dates) might raise some eyebrows. So if you want to be proactive, you could mention in your logs that this cache was "found by Mr julie330" and that cache was "found by Mrs julie330", or something like that.

I don't think 'fairness' really applies here. If you and your husband want to log your individuals finds under a team account please feel free. Your doing so doesn't affect the 'fairness' of the game to anyone else. Your account is yours (and your husbands) alone...you two decide the best way to use it.

For me personally, I like to have my own account for my own finds. If I were to marry someone who became a cacher, I'd prefer she get her own account so I wouldn't see finds on my account that I haven't actually found.

note that I've never been married or had a 'teammate' of sorts so I've never run in to this kind of problem

My wife and I share the same account for all our finds and hides. 99.97% of the time we're together when we cache.

However, a couple of years ago "Da Momma" was down in Tuscon visiting her mother, and I was stuck up here in South Dakota. She did a few caches in that area one day, while at the same time some new caches were published up here. I headed out for a few FTF. So there were a few "overlapping" caches found on the same day.

But nobody complained, or deleted either one of our finds over it. In fact, nobody even noticed or cared. :D

I know other couples who share a single account. They just log all their finds under their shared account, whether the cache was found by one or by the other or by both.

But logging caches in Singapore and AZ on the same date (or even on alternate dates) might raise some eyebrows. So if you want to be proactive, you could mention in your logs that this cache was "found by Mr julie330" and that cache was "found by Mrs julie330", or something like that.

+1

It's your account, you can do whatever you want. And, despite what others say, how you cache has exactly zero impact on other cachers and shouldn't be anybody else's concern. Cache on!

I think you're fine, and I don't see anything wrong with it. Now if you had like 25,000 finds, and were near the top at Cacherstats.com, there might be some controversy. :lol: I know a married couple who joined in early 2003, a couple of dinks (double income, no kids) who both traveled for business that would do this, and I'm sure no one ever noticed. I didn't look to see if they still do this, but I did look and see their first page of their last 20 finds goes back to 2010. My opinion, no one will care, or even notice, if you are casual cachers like yourselves or them.

Why not?
Because the 'Team' consists of 'X' and 'Y'.

If 'X' or 'Y' wasn't present, the 'team' wasn't there to find the cache.

Yeah, it's such a hassle when someone writes a check to me AND my wife. Then we both have to endorse it. It's so much more convenient when someone writes a check to me OR my wife. Then either of us can endorse it.

My husband and I are a geocaching team and log all our finds together... ...Is it OK to log our separate caches under the same name?

It is very common among couples with one account to log caches separately. Don't let folks here badger or shame you into thinking you can't do this. Many well respected caching couples log this way.

Cache find-counts can be viewed in multiple ways: As a measure of the amount of fun that is being had; as a measure of experience; and as a measure of participation in this game. If one of the team goes out caching with friends for the day while the other finds some caches solo, or if the two are in different locations as you suggest and both finding caches, your amount of fun, experience and participation are being accurately recorded by logging to the team account. What difference does it make if the two have 500 finds each on separate accounts or 1000 finds on a team account? The team account is a valid measure of the total number of caches visited.

On the local level folks know how team accounts cache and how they record their finds, which ever method they choose. The teams accounts are not logging to inflate their find-count artificially. They've been to all those caches and had all that fun.

Our team may actually be unusual in that I have been to all our cache finds while my wife has been to somewhere between 60 and 70% of the total. She has no desire to cache alone and I fully enjoy both team and solo caching. We enjoy this game as a team, that is why we added "team" to the name withing the first six months. We do not think of ourselves as individual cachers by any means. One of our couple friends (team account) will only cache together and have been doing that since 2001.

Many couples have individual accounts and no team account. This is just different method of caching but with one distinct disadvantage in that both are pounding the keys logging all those finds while with a team account one member can be enjoying a long hot bath instead. :D

I have read that some couples have a team account for logging only team finds and then additional accounts for each member. I am not sure why some folks seem to think this is the only proper method for couples to log finds but it produces the same results: Add up the three accounts find totals and you have a different but just as accurate measure of fun, experience and participation.

It is really up to you guys to decide how you want your statistics to show publicly. The statistics of a couple-team are just that - the team's finds and hides.

What's fair?

Here is where it often goes bad in the forums. :unsure:

Many of us feel very passionate about some specific aspects of the game and often mince few words to make our personal concepts of fairness known. I prefer to get hot about armchair logging, recording caches as found when they were not actually found, logging multiple temporary unpublished caches on an event page and other equally egregious atrocities. :o

To be concerned about how a couple logs legitimate cache finds on an account seems a waste of effort to me and can result in making new teams like you guys feel uneasy about how you log your finds.

Its ok to a point, but it really mess up some part of the static page. Like the most miles in one day challenge cache and etc which make some CO grain their teeth because they arent playing it "fair"..

edit to add.. or the most states in a day or the most countries in a day or the most counties in a day. People that work HARD to do it as a single account might not like it when a couple "beat" them by doing it in two different area.

I am not totally against team account, its just that when it comes to reading the static page and I wonder if they were "cheating" the system.

Edited by SwineFlew

Friends of mine have one account to log finds that either of them make. It is part of what makes the game fun for them and has caused no problems whatsoever. If a particle can be in two places at once without destroying our universe, then I think the caching universe can adjust just fine to a logs that show a single "team" was in two different places. Fairness is not an issue.

On different shifts, so when ones at work (or sleeping) the other might be out caching.

Very rare for us to be caching together lately.

If CJ goes to visit family in NC or TN and I'm home, I usually take a break, knowing she's caching there and along the way.

We put times on our finds, so it would look weird to find two caches at 0900 in two States. :lol:

CJ does have her own basic account - CJ (part of cerberus1), for the tons of geocoins I didn't want to have to scroll through on our shared.

- The brat's now logging our found 4+ hides on it to keep her terrain rating high (making sure her "other" sig is on the log). :laughing:

Its ok to a point, but it really mess up some part of the static page. Like the most miles in one day challenge cache and etc which make some CO grain their teeth because they arent playing it "fair"..

edit to add.. or the most states in a day or the most countries in a day or the most counties in a day. People that work HARD to do it as a single account might not like it when a couple "beat" them by doing it in two different area.

I am not totally against team account, its just that when it comes to reading the static page and I wonder if they were "cheating" the system.

I think thats the fault of the CO for not clarifying what the challenge is. It's not the cacher who is not playing 'fair'.

I think thats the fault of the CO for not clarifying what the challenge is. It's not the cacher who is not playing 'fair'.

Its too hard to enforce it since not all team account do that. If I was a CO of just challenges, I would let it go and "LAUGH" at them behind their back. I just got home from an east coast trip and ranked up 5 states in one day. Yes, thats plenty of states but they were "small" states and easy to do if you start at the state line. If a couple account did 5 states in a day, I will be double checking to see if they did it "together" and not apart.

I understand its just a game, but the fine line is this, if they(couple) start up bragging about how many miles, states, countries, counties, caches-per-day or whatnot they did in a day, it will be silly since they are taking it to a serious level of the game. If a couple is just having fun, no problem, but if they start challenging others and brag how they "beat" you in so so challenges, I will be laughing at you. (yes, I did laugh at a couple once behind their back)

Yes, I put couple account and single account players in to two different catalogs when it comes to bragging rights.

Its too hard to enforce it since not all team account do that. If I was a CO of just challenges, I would let it go and "LAUGH" at them behind their back. I just got home from an east coast trip and ranked up 5 states in one day. Yes, thats plenty of states but they were "small" states and easy to do if you start at the state line. If a couple account did 5 states in a day, I will be double checking to see if they did it "together" and not apart.

I understand its just a game, but the fine line is this, if they(couple) start up bragging about how many miles, states, countries, counties, caches-per-day or whatnot they did in a day, it will be silly since they are taking it to a serious level of the game. If a couple is just having fun, no problem, but if they start challenging others and brag how they "beat" you in so so challenges, I will be laughing at you. (yes, I did laugh at a couple once behind their back)

Yes, I put couple account and single account players in to two different catalogs when it comes to bragging rights.

...and the fact that it is too hard to enforce it is why these challenges are silly, IMO. Until there is a singular governing body that puts everyone on a level playing field with the same rules and stuff, these challenges will continue to be silly. The fact is that every single cacher/account is playing by their own rules. We're just all doing it on the same field at the same time. You have your rules and play your game. I have my rules and play my game. The OP will decide what their rules will be and then play their game. If you're a challenge cache owner, I suggest creating qualifications for each cacher/account. If not, there will surely be a cacher/account that qualifies the 'unfair' way :rolleyes:

Either way, as some of the challenge cache owners abandon their challenge caches, the floodgates will open and they'll be getting logged like the virtuals that are getting arm chair logged to death.

There are some cachers that will delete your finds as fake if they notice finds in 2 different countries on the same day. Others will insist you are cheating. Although it doesn't appear that you are intentionally trying to boost your stats, even if you were, I don't know how it affects anyone else, or how it's anyone's business. If the numbers really don't matter, I don't know why they would care.

Remember, as long as your signature is on every log, you may still be eligible for Puritan status. :D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

There are some cachers that will delete your finds as fake if they notice finds in 2 different countries on the same day. Others will insist you are cheating. Although it doesn't appear that you are intentionally trying to boost your stats, even if you were, I don't know how it affects anyone else, or how it's anyone's business. If the numbers really don't matter, I don't know why they would care.

Remember, as long as your signature is on every log, you may still be eligible for Puritan status. :D

Wont be me deleting any logs. I know a guy (single account)that found a cache here and flew to Europe and found a cache over there in one day. Hard to do it when there is plenty of layovers and its the next day when you are over there. Yes, I find it in the gray line.

To take this back on topic...can a couple log caches from different part of the world? Yes, in a heartbeat because they are having fun but really it does mess up their stats page. (your stats is really more public via another site)

If I, as a random cacher, happen to be trying to track something down about you, like where you were caching, because of some mystery I'm trying to figure out -- for me, such mysteries typically involve TBs not logged into the right cache -- then I might get confused about what I was seeing, perhaps even to the point of wondering whether these logs are bogus. So to make sure that doesn't happen, I suggest that you indicate in your logs which of you found any given cache when you're caching separately. It's not a big deal, and it is, admittedly, very unlikely to actually come up, but it's something I would do if I were in that situation.

Wont be me deleting any logs. I know a guy (single account)that found a cache here and flew to Europe and found a cache over there in one day. Hard to do it when there is plenty of layovers and its the next day when you are over there. Yes, I find it in the gray line.

To take this back on topic...can a couple log caches from different part of the world? Yes, in a heartbeat because they are having fun but really it does mess up their stats page. (your stats is really more public via another site)

It doesn't 'mess up their stats page'. The account is shared by two people. One finds a cache in Arizona. The other finds a cache in Singapore. The account found a cache in AZ and Singapore on the same day. The stats will accurately reflect that, because that is what happened.

It doesn't 'mess up their stats page'. The account is shared by two people. One finds a cache in Arizona. The other finds a cache in Singapore. The account found a cache in AZ and Singapore on the same day. The stats will accurately reflect that, because that is what happened.

Yes it does, the most miles in one day. We can agree to disagree here. (there is are stats pages out there that isnt part of GS) The total distance between caches does get mess up as well. Its count the miles between caches in the order of the way you log them. If you log one today in Arizona and the next day in Singapore and so on, it counts all the miles between the all the caches and make it looks like you are a "world traveler" when you aren't. I am not against accounts that are shared by two people, it just make it looks like something that isnt there. I got a habit of looking at other people stats page to get a good idea what kind of cacher they are.

The top two cachers in the world in finds is a join account as well. The 3rd top finder is a single account and I admire him more than the join couple accounts. Its many time harder that way. (I am not talking about team finds to do powertrails and etc)

well some challenges do actually measure finds pr distance pr date

those offcourse must be found by the SAME person or team members must be at the same location,

you can not for THOSE special few, split up and log finds at different locations at the same time..

but if you just stay away from those few secial challenges, you will be fine.

It's a game, if you choose to play your game with one account then that is great. I wouldn't worry about anyone's opinion on the matter. If we were to analyse team caching with a pedantic eye, then if two people are searching for a cache and one finds it, they should in reality quietly sign the log then rehide it without telling the other cacher. If they both claim the find, then one of them could be claimed to have 'cheated' as they didn't actually find the cache. But as team caching is accepted and there are no formal rules on how teams must conduct their activities, I say anything goes. Challenges are gone so that argument is invalid.

Enjoy your caching is the first rule of this game, take from it what makes you happy and remember you cannot win this game, its all about the journey.

It's a game, if you choose to play your game with one account then that is great. I wouldn't worry about anyone's opinion on the matter. If we were to analyse team caching with a pedantic eye, then if two people are searching for a cache and one finds it, they should in reality quietly sign the log then rehide it without telling the other cacher. If they both claim the find, then one of them could be claimed to have 'cheated' as they didn't actually find the cache. But as team caching is accepted and there are no formal rules on how teams must conduct their activities, I say anything goes. Challenges are gone so that argument is invalid.

Enjoy your caching is the first rule of this game, take from it what makes you happy and remember you cannot win this game, its all about the journey.

Not, they are still around. I am talking about those unknown cache challenges...ie find a cache in 51 states of USA. (I do know that GS shut down the other type of challenges which its a "virtual" type of caching and I am not talking about those)

Not, they are still around. I am talking about those unknown cache challenges...ie find a cache in 51 states of USA. (I do know that GS shut down the other type of challenges which its a "virtual" type of caching and I am not talking about those)

I see, well if the OP is going to claim that type of cache then I can see a problem. But if the OP is just doing normal caches then I don't see a problem, after all your statistics are only really important to yourself.

As I recall...

The last time this was brought up, someone suggested a 'team' could be formed with members in 10 different countries, and each member could log finds for the 'team' and for themselves.

This would create a pretty funny stat page and find list, and (again) the consensus was that creating such a 'team' would be 'silly'. None the less, 'Team Globetrotter' would have found those caches.

What we are talking about here is the same thing, just to a different degree.

Maybe I would have a different perspective if I had a 'business traveler' spouse to log caches in other countries for me.

Yes it does, the most miles in one day. We can agree to disagree here. (there is are stats pages out there that isnt part of GS) The total distance between caches does get mess up as well. Its count the miles between caches in the order of the way you log them. If you log one today in Arizona and the next day in Singapore and so on, it counts all the miles between the all the caches and make it looks like you are a "world traveler" when you aren't. I am not against accounts that are shared by two people, it just make it looks like something that isnt there. I got a habit of looking at other people stats page to get a good idea what kind of cacher they are.

The top two cachers in the world in finds is a join account as well. The 3rd top finder is a single account and I admire him more than the join couple accounts. Its many time harder that way. (I am not talking about team finds to do powertrails and etc)

Sounds like you and the non GS stats website you're referring to have a preconceived assumption that an account represents the caching behavior of a single person. Thats a false assumption.

well some challenges do actually measure finds pr distance pr date

those offcourse must be found by the SAME person or team members must be at the same location,

you can not for THOSE special few, split up and log finds at different locations at the same time..

but if you just stay away from those few secial challenges, you will be fine.

Does the cache page say that the finds have to be found by the same person or is it the assumption of the reader that that is the case? I would think it would be hard for the CO to know what individual of the team was present at each of the cache sites.

My husband and I are a geocaching team and log all our finds together. However, he travels quite a bit overseas and finds caches in other countries. When he is away, I cache by myself here in AZ. Is it OK to log our separate caches under the same name? In other words, he will be logging caches in Singapore the same day I would be logging caches in AZ. What's fair?

Why does it have to be fair? :blink:

As I recall...

The last time this was brought up, someone suggested a 'team' could be formed with members in 10 different countries, and each member could log finds for the 'team' and for themselves.

This would create a pretty funny stat page and find list, and (again) the consensus was that creating such a 'team' would be 'silly'. None the less, 'Team Globetrotter' would have found those caches.

Actually, there once was a group of military geocachers scattered across the globe who had a team account as well as their various individual accounts. When someone found a cache, he would log a "Found it" on both his individual account and the team account. The consensus was that such a "team" was indeed "silly," and the team disbanded.

For me, caching as a team where my wife and i logged separate caches wouldn't work. Gc.com provides statistics for us to utilize as we see fit. There are times when i like to check out my personal stats so i want them to be accurate. They wouldn't be if i was part of a team who cached like that. Also, it would probably end up being a bit confusing when either of us ran pocket queries. One person might find a cache but then when the other ran the query later, it wouldn't show up. There would be caches that one of us would miss out on.

For the most part, it doesn't affect anyone else so go for it if you're not concerned about either of the above.

As I recall...

Actually, there once was a group of military geocachers scattered across the globe who had a team account as well as their various individual accounts. When someone found a cache, he would log a "Found it" on both his individual account and the team account. The consensus was that such a "team" was indeed "silly," and the team disbanded.

I don't think I've heard of that one, but now that you mention it, I know of two different established cachers who created Team Accounts for when they cached with their homies, and would log caches as "found by team members A, B and C, or B, C, and E, or whatever. That too is silly, and a lot of work for the person who invented the team, and does the logging. I'm pretty sure both these guys abandoned this after a couple years.

after all your statistics are only really important to yourself.

No, apparently YOUR statistics are really important to Swineflew. <_< He's taken great pains to hammer that point home. Be careful what you say and how you say it, because there's an obscure website out there somewhere that may misinterpret your meaning and confuse people you do not even know. :unsure:

I have a son who flies 747-400 and 747-8 cargo planes for Atlas Air Cargo. He lives in Alaska but has gone geocaching with us when visiting. He flies all over the world but I have never asked him to find caches for our team. On the other hand our daughter who also caches with us went to NZ and found 3 caches and logged them under our W7WT account. So we did get NZ without all of our team there.

There are times when i like to check out my personal stats so i want them to be accurate. They wouldn't be if i was part of a team who cached like that.
Exactly. If you want personal stats and personal logs, then create separate personal accounts. But if you want team stats and team logs, or if you want team logs and don't care about stats, then a common team account is fine.

Also, it would probably end up being a bit confusing when either of us ran pocket queries. One person might find a cache but then when the other ran the query later, it wouldn't show up. There would be caches that one of us would miss out on.
For the couples I know who share a common team account, you know one of them really liked a cache when they return to the cache with the other person, to share it with them.

The whole 'team' think seems funny to me. Issues like this are exactly why I wouldn't use a team (if my wife didn't hate geocaching).

Question: How do you know what caches you have found? I use the smiley icon to tell. But you can't do that... the smiley could be your's, your wife's, or the whole team's. How do you setup a PQ for caches you havn't found?

Seems like more trouble than it is worth.

Question: How do you know what caches you have found? I use the smiley icon to tell. But you can't do that... the smiley could be your's, your wife's, or the whole team's. How do you setup a PQ for caches you havn't found?
You don't. It's as simple as that.

If this kind of thing is important to you, then create individual accounts. I know plenty of couples who do just that.

Those who share an account prefer to use a single account to keep track of caches that either of them has found.

As I recall...

I don't think I've heard of that one...

It was a few years ago. A couple weeks after this thread appeared, the team disbanded and deleted all their team finds.

Why not?

Because the 'Team' consists of 'X' and 'Y'.

If 'X' or 'Y' wasn't present, the 'team' wasn't there to find the cache.

So if a member of a baseball team in injured and unable to play, the whole team can't play?

No, but if more than one member of the team plays in two different games simultaneously the team doesn't get two wins...unless they play for the Harlem Globetrotters.

My simple answer to the OPs query is "let your conscience be your guide". It would seem to me that if a team is going to be spending a significant amount geocaching separately in different locations that it would make sense to use separate accounts.