Airports

Murphycat

I spend alot of time in airports, and always wish I could run out and grab a quick cache during layovers. However there is rarely a cache within walking distance. How far does a cache need to be from the airport? I am thinking about putting a few TB hotels near the airports I visit frequently. Thanks!

Anything near where airport security can see you would likely not get published. Even it did, it would be a bad idea. Anything on airport property, including parking lots, hotels, restaurants, etc ... is subject to the scrutiny of security. Anything around the perimeter & fences, same thing. I'd stay at least a couple hundred yards away from the edge of the property.

I spend alot of time in airports, and always wish I could run out and grab a quick cache during layovers. However there is rarely a cache within walking distance. How far does a cache need to be from the airport? I am thinking about putting a few TB hotels near the airports I visit frequently. Thanks!

This depends on the size of the airport, also the traffic it handles.

Simple logic should dictate that a busy and/or large airport would negate what you want -- to run out and get it.

If it is close enough to "run out and get it", things happen.

Think of it this way:

There are many more non-cachers than cachers;

Those "normal" people observe the not-so-normal actions of a cacher acting stealthy (?) or hiding something;

Suspicious activity certainly warrants a call to authorities;

Suddenly -- you are responsible for shutting down an airport, causing a huge traffic jam (both on the ground and in the air), if you are described well enough to authorities you may well be detained, and.. the best of it all.. you have inadvertently given geocaching another black eye.

Black eyes are really handy.... :ph34r:

Right or wrong, geocaches close enough to jog out and get it from an airport are not really such a good idea.

Personally, I wouldn't go through the hassle of having to go through security again to leave and re-enter the airport.

And to echo some others, I think geocaching anywhere near airports (within 3-4 blocks, maybe even further) are a bad idea. Security seems nervous enough as it is.

Personally, I wouldn't go through the hassle of having to go through security again to leave and re-enter the airport.

And to echo some others, I think geocaching anywhere near airports (within 3-4 blocks, maybe even further) are a bad idea. Security seems nervous enough as it is.

I agree with 'Gitchee-Gummee' - it all depends on the individual circumstances.

This one is 300' from the main doors of the airport.

It was placed in the exact spot suggested by the Airport Manager and Chief of Security. Has been very heavily visited for almost 2 yrs now with no problems.

All depend on the size of the airport and the nearest non airport properties just as hotels and car rental and etc without all the extra fences and etc from the baggage claim door. . I see some in Portland Oregon (you can walk to them or take a taxi) with caches on their properties and all with permission. They get a lot find due to being very close to an airport and easy access to them as well.

O'hare has a virtual in the airport, be cool if they allowed new airport virtuals.

I have to agree with that 100% even I am not in favor of virtual returning beside only for airports. I wish GS allows that. I know of something at the Eugene Oregon airport that I can make into a virtual cache. Its outside of the baggage claim area so non tix holders can get to it. (btw, its somewhat rare for people flying into Eugene to change gates there and its very easy to get back in if you need to change gates there anyway)

Perhaps. There are a lot of layover caches on this list. But a cautionary tale may be important to consider.

Good bookmark list. I've found several on it; including a trad cache inside Copenhagen Airport terminal (landside.. before security), trad in Singapore Airport (airside - past security), and a trad very near Dusseldorf airport. Also found vitual at Frankfort, and Web cam in Zurich.

Where I have had long layovers I have traveled away from the Airport... e.g. I had an 8 hour layover in Dublin and I took a bus into the city.

It does vary by airport and local rules. I know in the UK Manchester airport has a very specific and quite large exclusion zone; it seems more restricted than others in the UK.

Perhaps. There are a lot of layover caches on this list. But a cautionary tale may be important to consider.

Good bookmark list. I've found several on it; including a trad cache inside Copenhagen Airport terminal (landside.. before security), trad in Singapore Airport (airside - past security), and a trad very near Dusseldorf airport. Also found vitual at Frankfort, and Web cam in Zurich.

Where I have had long layovers I have traveled away from the Airport... e.g. I had an 8 hour layover in Dublin and I took a bus into the city.

It does vary by airport and local rules. I know in the UK Manchester airport has a very specific and quite large exclusion zone; it seems more restricted than others in the UK.

I have also done the one in Singapore, the one in Frankfurt, and the webcam in Zurich and have found a few others while on a layover. Singapore airport doesn't have security set up the same way you see it in most U.S. domestic airports. Upon entering the terminals, you get you're boarding passes and check lugguge at the airline counters, then only have to show a boarding pass and go through passport control to get to the main part of the terminals. The cache is located in a butterfly garden in that part of the terminal. The airport is *huge* and includes tons of restaurants, shops, movie "theatres", lots of comfortable recliners to take a nap in between flights, and a transit hotel. It's easily the nicest airport I've ever flown through. There is an security checkpoint at every gate rather than security checkpoints between landside and airside areas.

I've had a 7 hour layover in Paris and a 6 hour layover in Tokyo that gave me plenty of time to get away from the airport and find a few caches. In both cases, the airports were served by light rail systems which made it easy to get far enough away from the airport where cache proximity to the airport was not an issue. In both cases I didn't require a visa to enter the country.

I've also intentionally scheduled overnight layovers (in Zurich, Brussels, and Amsterdam) for my itinerary when I've had long trips where I stayed at a hotel near the airport and was able to get out and do some geocaching. I wouldn't recommend trying to get out and find a cache if you've got a short layover and have to go through security, and especially if you have to also go through immigrations/customs.

The other thing to look for is that many airports have long term parking ares well away from the terminal and sometimes car rental areas well outside the terminal. In those cases, the airports provide shuttle buses that drive a loop between long term parking, rental car agencies, and in many cases there are hotel-airport free shuttles. Prior to flying through a specific airport check to see if there are any caches located near long term parking ares, rental car ares, or nearby airport hotels. Check the "ground transportation" sections on airport web sites to see if the airport is served by a light rail, subway, or some other fast and frequent service.

Since nobody else has mentioned it, you're probably *not* going to be able to places caches near any airports due to the "no vacation caches" guideline.

Right or wrong, geocaches close enough to jog out and get it from an airport are not really such a good idea.

Wow, was she really fined $10,000? Seriously? I had never heard of someone being fined $10K for Geocaching in 2009, I can't believe that wouldn't have been discussed here.

I once cached so close to an airport (on a rails to trails) that I had to duck under the wing of a plane in line for take-off. :laughing: This was in rural Northern New Jersey though, like Swine Flew said, it depends on the size of the airport.

I am thinking about putting a few TB hotels near the airports I visit frequently. Thanks!

Having adequate permission for a cache is always important. But the closer you get to secure areas like airports, "adequate" permission might not be good enough, and specific permission becomes a better and better idea -- to keep both you and the cachers who visit your cache out of trouble.

I'd love to see what you come up with, I'm always looking for good airport TB hotels, but I move around too often to keep one established. I run the layover list discussed above, so let me know when you get any of these published and I'll be happy to add them to the list. You can drop me an email or just post to the forum thread, whichever you prefer.

Wow, was she really fined $10,000? Seriously? I had never heard of someone being fined $10K for Geocaching in 2009, I can't believe that wouldn't have been discussed here.

There were two or three caches near LAX archived the same day after the same logs. I think there must be more to the story because you would not be fined immediately and I can't imagine being arrested for telling an officer that the containers were caches. Maybe I will check the news reports from that time if I have a break at work today. So I describe it as a cautionary tale. Even tales might have some lesson to be learned.

The other thing to take into account around airports are security lines. I went to get a virtual near LAX and barely made it back. My wife would have been upset if I had left her at the gate.

--------------

Edited to add that after a search of the LA Times during the period in question I could find no articles about closures around LAX due to this game or a suspected bomb. So treat the story for what it is. I do not want to use this thread to speculate about what did nor did not happen. The log was enough to convince the CO to archive the cache. It does show that there are all sorts of reasons to be cautious with placements near airports. One might be what security thinks. One might be what other cachers think. In either event, there is a heightened awareness around airports that makes placements problematic.

Edited by geodarts

I once cached so close to an airport (on a rails to trails) that I had to duck under the wing of a plane in line for take-off. :laughing: This was in rural Northern New Jersey though, like Swine Flew said, it depends on the size of the airport.

I read this cautionary tale before, and called BS on it then. Nothing has changed my mind since.

There is no way someone telling the authorities the thing was a cache would get them a 10K fine.

I would find it hard to believe the person who hid the cache would get a fine that large without some other circumstances involved. <_<

I read this cautionary tale before, and called BS on it then. Nothing has changed my mind since.

There is no way someone telling the authorities the thing was a cache would get them a 10K fine.

I would find it hard to believe the person who hid the cache would get a fine that large without some other circumstances involved. <_<

I'm not quoting GeoDarts, but I wasn't trying to derail the thread, and I agree with you posting that cautionary tale, whether the $10K fine is B.S. or not.

The woman who wrote that log also placed a cache in honor of her experience, and recounted it on her cache page. You know what? I'll contact her through the website, and see what happened with the fine. I'm sure she was just threatened with a $10,000 fine. :)

It was placed in the exact spot suggested by the Airport Manager and Chief of Security. Has been very heavily visited for almost 2 yrs now with no problems.

If you're going to put a cache at an airport, this is the best way. A container in plain sight, with a key to unlock and placed after consultation with security.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Also keep in mind that what you consider frequently and what the reviewer for the area thinks is an adequate maintenance plan may differ. The guidelines discourage placing caches while traveling for good reasons.

Also keep in mind that what you consider frequently and what the reviewer for the area thinks is an adequate maintenance plan may differ. The guidelines discourage placing caches while traveling for good reasons.

This, and permission, permission, permission. If you hide a cache near an airport and worry about it being seen as a possible issue, that's not a good place to hide a cache. Hide a cache near sensitive locations with permissions, and in ways that won't be seen as suspicious behavior. Good cover, easy cache to find by geocachers, etc are what will help.

Hiding a pipe-shaped object or ammo can near a fence line is a bad idea. Hiding a very difficult cache that will make most people wander around at GZ looking suspicious is a bad idea as well.

This, and permission, permission, permission. If you hide a cache near an airport and worry about it being seen as a possible issue, that's not a good place to hide a cache. Hide a cache near sensitive locations with permissions, and in ways that won't be seen as suspicious behavior. Good cover, easy cache to find by geocachers, etc are what will help.

Hiding a pipe-shaped object or ammo can near a fence line is a bad idea. Hiding a very difficult cache that will make most people wander around at GZ looking suspicious is a bad idea as well.

There are two within a long walk of the main entrance to PVD. However, they are all off airport property, and in locations where people would be expected. One is in a shopping center, the other is in a small park. Both are less than 1 mile from the entrance, and both should not cause any sort of special concern.

I pulled up google streetview and I can see the cache. :laughing:

Tried the same thing. I can't see the cache :blink:

Its on the fence.

Peronaly I would stay away from airports. Here in Minnesota we had some trouble. Blaine MN Anoka county airport. Not even on airport property but near it. A device shaped like a pipe was found in the woods near the airport about .2 mile away. Big freakout I don't remember if they blew it up. But I do remember they did not say what was in it. I had found all standard geocaches in the area. I had not found any of the ? mark ones, there were about 5 within the radius of the trouble spot. But this showed that they go nuts over any thing not normal any where near the airport. Granted if you look you will see a bunch of geocache near by. These are marked on the website and visible to law enforcement. Those ? mark ones are not.

By the way this was about a year and a half ago.

Edited by Mn-treker

Its on the fence.

You're right on.

Its on the fence.

You're right on.

Ok, after moving to a slightly different spot in streetview I could see it.

I remember doing a cache near an airport as a newbie and an airport security guy came out to see what I was doing. I DNF that day...the next time I was out there, a highway department guy stop by and asked what I was doing.

I finally gave up and asked another cacher for hints.

Here is the cache... http://coord.info/GC17H0F

Out of all the caches I found so far, I never saw another cache hidden like this one. Its a one of the kind guardrail hide and nope, it isn't a nut and bolt thing. It's a very good hide but just in the wrong area (too close to an airport). Because of problems I ran into, I never gave that cache a favorite point. If it was in a better area, I would gave it a favorite point within a heartbeat.

What I am getting here that hard or tricky caches shouldn't be near airports. It causes more problems than necessary.

Same airport but behind it and its a long drive to get there for most people that live in this area. http://coord.info/GC22TGR This cache is right on the security fence and its a very fast find and so far, no problems. Its very hard for airport security people to see anyone at this location unless there is a security camera or they are driving around on the road inside the fence.

I remember doing a cache near an airport as a newbie and an airport security guy came out to see what I was doing. I DNF that day...the next time I was out there, a highway department guy stop by and asked what I was doing.

Out of all the caches I found so far, I never saw another cache hidden like this one. Its a one of the kind guardrail hide and nope, it isn't a nut and bolt thing. It's a very good hide but just in the wrong area (too close to an airport). Because of problems I ran into, I never gave that cache a favorite point. If it was in a better area, I would gave it a favorite point within a heartbeat.

What I am getting here that hard or tricky caches shouldn't be near airports. It causes more problems than necessary.

Same airport but behind it and its a long drive to get there for most people that live in this area. http://coord.info/GC22TGR This cache is right on the security fence and its a very fast find and so far, no problems. Its very hard for airport security people to see anyone at this location unless there is a security camera or they are driving around on the road inside the fence.

Your story demonstrates something important about "difficult" caches. If in high-muggle areas, or sensitive or strategic locations, sometimes the more "creative-difficult" caches are not the best ideas. If one has to linger too long looking for a cache, it will attract attention, and especially if there are people who are nearby or frequent the location who have a job to look out for suspicious activities.

We found a cache, placed WITH permission on the fence next to the airport employee parking lot. Small regional airport, but we were questioned by a security member going off shift. The cache was hidden in plain sight, ammo box size. We may have made a convert with the lady from security, showed her our GPSs and told her about the game. Explained travel bugs, and showed her a couple of examples. She thought it neat that a cache was hidden right above her parking spot, and she was going to keep an eye on it.

I would think that larger airports would not be so accommodating...but this regional airport is also an Air Force base, sharing the runways.

YYJ has caches nearby in the town of Sdney BC, YVR has some close-ish, but you need transport. Where do you get most layovers?

Your story demonstrates something important about "difficult" caches. If in high-muggle areas, or sensitive or strategic locations, sometimes the more "creative-difficult" caches are not the best ideas. If one has to linger too long looking for a cache, it will attract attention, and especially if there are people who are nearby or frequent the location who have a job to look out for suspicious activities.

Agreed. Probably more important that the difficulty in finding the cache in a high-muggle area is how difficult it is to retrieve and replace the container once you've located the cache. I once found a cache just outside a starbucks that was relatively easy to located (the name of the cache really narrowed down the possible hiding spots). However, it took me a couple of minutes to work the container out of it's hiding place, only to discover that the magnetic container was actually a letterbox and that the cache was hidden about 1 foot away in a similar manner (which also took me several minutes to extract from it's hiding place). Fortunately, I did this at around 9:00AM on January 1st when there was nobody around. In another case, there was a cache located on some metal work on a building in very narrow street next to an ornate museum in Barcelona. When I got to the location there was a tour group of about 15 people about 20 feet from the cache. I was able to identify the location quickly and the cache was about shoulder height so as soon as the tour guide directed the groups attention away from the cache I was able to quickly grab it and walk away with it to sign the log sheet. If that cache had been down near ground level, forcing me to get down on my hands and knees to retrieve the container I might not have able to find it while avoiding detection.

We found a cache, placed WITH permission on the fence next to the airport employee parking lot. Small regional airport, but we were questioned by a security member going off shift. The cache was hidden in plain sight, ammo box size. We may have made a convert with the lady from security, showed her our GPSs and told her about the game. Explained travel bugs, and showed her a couple of examples. She thought it neat that a cache was hidden right above her parking spot, and she was going to keep an eye on it.

You must have just happened to hit a new employee. All the securety staff were briefed on the cache and location before installation. The usual reaction I get if I'm seen while doing maintenance is a cheerful wave as they pass by.

By the way, thanks for the favorite point.

I know there's a cache really close to stansted in England. You got to the macdonalds in the services across from the airport and its in the car park there. (Not found it myself or know where it is exactly I was going to get it when I picked up a friend there but due to traffic I was late to pick them up and had no time to get it)

I know there's a cache really close to stansted in England. You got to the macdonalds in the services across from the airport and its in the car park there. (Not found it myself or know where it is exactly I was going to get it when I picked up a friend there but due to traffic I was late to pick them up and had no time to get it)

Didn't know about that one or the one right nearby -- adding them to the layover list. Thanks.

Also didn't know about the virtual at Eugene, adding that one too. I bet you could log it from the terminal, or even waiting for takeoff.

Didn't know about that one or the one right nearby -- adding them to the layover list. Thanks.

Also didn't know about the virtual at Eugene, adding that one too. I bet you could log it from the terminal, or even waiting for takeoff.

Yes you can do it from the airport ground as along you have a good view of it. Its best done at night. Most people know what this is all about. Its a hard virtual to do since you really have to pay attention.

You must have just happened to hit a new employee. All the securety staff were briefed on the cache and location before installation. The usual reaction I get if I'm seen while doing maintenance is a cheerful wave as they pass by.

By the way, thanks for the favorite point.

That's the problem with placing a cache in a public location. Even though you may get explicit permission from someone, all *current* staff at the time someone attempts to find the cache might not be aware that the cache exists. Even if all new security staff were informed, a cache near an airport might have thousands of people arriving and departing the airport any any one of them might see someone searching for it, think it looks suspicious, and contact the police (who also may not be aware that the "suspicious activity" is someone looking for a geocache).