Way too many micros out there

I don't understand it why is it getting to a point that there is like 80% micro hides. I find this annoying since all you do is find and sign no treasure. I like seeing what is in there although I rarely trade and grabbing trackables. All the micros make this impossible. There are a few trackables that fit in the larger micros but these are few and far between. To me Quality of caches is better than quantity of caches. I have one micro out there and 13 small to large caches. The micro is an unusual hide and I put it there to commemorate me getting 200,000 miles on my car. It is a larger micro and I started a trackable in it but that is an exception to my rule. I prefer hiding larger caches.

If you get a premium account you can run pocket queries and filter out the caches you don't want to search for.

The more caches that are placed in the city the more micros we'll have. Placing ammo cans downtown really doesn't work well.

The other thing is, the more caches you find, the more you're likely to appreciate the micros. I've found this to be the case.

The more I geocache the easier it gets. I need a good challenge now and then or the game gets boring. I prefer ammo cans in the woods though, so that's where I go the most.

I don't understand it why is it getting to a point that there is like 80% micro hides. I find this annoying since all you do is find and sign no treasure. I like seeing what is in there although I rarely trade and grabbing trackables. All the micros make this impossible. There are a few trackables that fit in the larger micros but these are few and far between. To me Quality of caches is better than quantity of caches. I have one micro out there and 13 small to large caches. The micro is an unusual hide and I put it there to commemorate me getting 200,000 miles on my car. It is a larger micro and I started a trackable in it but that is an exception to my rule. I prefer hiding larger caches.

On schedule.

:drama:

The way to work on the "micro issue" is to place more small- to large-sized caches yourself. Make the trend be the trend.

You are not alone!!! NeverSummer pretty much sums up all you can do about it!!

BE the change you seek!!! ;)

The other thing is, the more caches you find, the more you're likely to appreciate the micros. I've found this to be the case.

That might be true for you, but I liked micros when I started, and I grew tired of them over time. I came to the realization that anything can be hidden if it's small enough. It's more of a challenge for the finder and less for the hider. I hate to think I put more effort into finding it than the other guy put into hiding it.

Edited by nonaeroterraqueous
I don't understand it why is it getting to a point that there is like 80% micro hides.
This ought to be in an FAQ somewhere. Anyway...

Micro caches are often less expensive then larger containers, possibly even free.

Micro caches are easier to hide in busy urban/suburban locations.

Micro caches survive longer in busy urban/suburban locations.

Micro caches take less space in your backpack when hiking to remote locations, leaving more room for the 10 essentials, for additional caches, and for other things.

Some people don't care about trade items or trackables. As long as their cache is big enough to hold a log that will last a few years, they're happy.

Some people enjoy the challenge of finding difficult hides, and consider larger containers too easy to find.

Some land managers actually restrict the size of cache containers (e.g., because they're concerned about bomb scares).

To me Quality of caches is better than quantity of caches.
I agree. But I don't equate "quality caches" with "bigger caches".

Some people, like me don't care about any treasure or swag. I'm at the point where I can count on one hand from almost 200 cache how many times I've taken something.

And yes Quality is better than quantity. But what is quality? to Me a cache, in good shape, that still has it's camo-if it had it to begin with- and a dry log with room to put your name is quality. So you are saying that a large, dented ammo can with water in the bottom, a moldy logbook, and full of garbage is better quality than a micro with good camo, dry rite in the rain logbook and room for your signature?

I'm on 111 caches after 2 or 3 months and am already developing an allergy to 35mm film pots. But I've seen 4 superb magnetic nanos and some ugly, uninspired larger caches - TBs or no..

As it happens I'm going this lunch break to search for... an ammo box in the woods! There's a TB in there wants to get from UK to Oregon and as I'm in Vegas next month it seems rude not to drive 3 miles, have a quick walk, hopefully successful, and help it on its way.

I hate to think I put more effort into finding it than the other guy put into hiding it.

Amen!

I have one multi with the final container of 1.8l (around half a gallon) hidden in the middle of the city, found and not muggled (yet). It's great to read logs like: "It's unbelievable that such a big box can be hidden so well in such a place!".

Size does matter! :laughing:

I don't understand it why is it getting to a point that there is like 80% micro hides.

Micro caches are often less expensive then larger containers, possibly even free.

Micro caches are easier to hide in busy urban/suburban locations.

Micro caches survive longer in busy urban/suburban locations.

Micro caches take less space in your backpack when hiking to remote locations, leaving more room for the 10 essentials, for additional caches, and for other things.

Some people don't care about trade items or trackables. As long as their cache is big enough to hold a log that will last a few years, they're happy.

Some people enjoy the challenge of finding difficult hides, and consider larger containers too easy to find.

Some land managers actually restrict the size of cache containers (e.g., because they're concerned about bomb scares).

Agree. Also, micro caches dont need to be periodically cleaned of all the broke mctoys and dirt that invarialbly accumulates in the container.

Agree. Also, micro caches dont need to be periodically cleaned of all the broke mctoys and dirt that invarialbly accumulates in the container.

Likewise, Hotwheels toy cars don't need oil changes, repairs, gasoline (petrol, for you Brits), insurance or a place to park. Still, I prefer a real car, even despite the extra maintenance.

"Broke mctoys and dirt that invariably accumulate," is evidence of deterioration, but it's also evidence that there was something to deteriorate from. A runner that never runs doesn't get to brag that he never lost.

Likewise, Hotwheels toy cars don't need oil changes, repairs, gasoline (petrol, for you Brits), insurance or a place to park. Still, I prefer a real car, even despite the extra maintenance.

"Broke mctoys and dirt that invariably accumulate," is evidence of deterioration, but it's also evidence that there was something to deteriorate from. A runner that never runs doesn't get to brag that he never lost.

Well said nonaeroterraqueous!...I must save this quote somewhere to refer back to it.

I like the micros and nanos, but I also like the larger caches. I think there is place for all types of cache. In urban areas the nanos are excellent and allow for caches that you could not normally place. Don't forget that people play this game for different reasons, they don't have to play it the same way as everyone else. Also people have different levels of access to the traditional middle of beautiful countryside caches.

As to the treasure in caches, I've got 60 something under my belt and have yet to find a cache with decent loot. Its always seems to be kinder egg toys, McToys or other rubbish or for some reason hairbands? I have however found no end of soggy logs and cracked or inappropriate containers.

I admit that my first cache hide was mainly put out because I wanted to have my own caches, they are nothing special, in a fairly pretty location and hopefully form an interesting puzzle. I have learnt a lot from these caches and am working to improve them. My next set of caches are going to be well thought out and hopefully good enough to gather favorite points and great logs. I still might place a few micro or nanos, but I'll make sure there is a reason for visiting the place I take you to. This way I hope that other people who come to my caches will be inspired to place inventive caches, nano or 5 gallon drums.

I am now wondering how big a cache I can hide in an urban area... hmmm

...Some people don't care about trade items or trackables...

niraD explains everything very accurately and thoroughly. The only thing I'd add is that, from what I see, there's a general trend, even more pronounced over the last year or two, towards most people not caring about trade items. So the trade worthiness of the cache stressed in the OP is not something either hiders or seekers tend to care about, one way or another.

I think, perhaps, if we want more big caches, we should focus more on ways to encourage and support more of them and worry less about rehashing the perceived negatives of small caches. But I'm more interested in stressing quality of caches, hides, and maintenance, without being concerned with specific sizes or functions. Although actually, despite the large surge in micros, from where I cache, the quality is actually going way up at the same time.

Exactly, the only thing you can do is hide big caches. Complaining here isn't going to change the game.

The only change you can hope to affect is that in your local area. Hide what you want to find. Keep the containers filled and deal with good going out and crap coming in. Hope the local finders like the hides and get inspired to hide their own large caches and follow your lead.

Edited by fbingha

You can always bring along a bunch of small containers with you and swap the micros out.

I'd be quite upset if someone interfered with my cache in that manner. I spent a fair amount of time setting up my caches and the micro is there on purpose to make the third stage of the puzzle difficult. Encouraging people to swap out containers, in my opinion would only lead to problems. Also the container that someone thought would be of a more appropriate size might not be suitable for caching. There are quite a few caches in my area that cannot keep the weather out. I think a better solution would be to contact the owner of a cache that could be improved with a larger container and working with them through discussion and education. In that way people learn what makes a good cache and no egos get dented.

I understand the practical constraints that result in the proportion of micros and am lucky to live in a country town where small-regular caches are the majority; although finding a micro with a soggy logbook on a dirt track through the forest without a building in sight is a bit of a 'meh' moment. The only thing that I prefer about the bigger containers is that I can place little surprise toys and trinkets in there as I have a personal agenda to encourage children to get off the Xbox and into the outdoors, and take very little in return. The interior of my cache bag looks like Santa's sack!

Our traditional caches are usually put out as a series on a trail or deep in the country on old logging roads. Because of the cost we try to put a mix of sizes, including micros. When we place a micro, we put it in an obvious spot, such as the only evergreen, and place it hanging at a winter friendly height.

Most of our puzzles are micros, in fact our big series is called Micro Logic. We have a bunch of them come out at the same time in the same general area, often an industrial park, or a country road close to town. In our mind the fun is solving the puzzle, so we use micros and do not make the hide too difficult and we dont put the caches in a nice place that would be better for a traditional.

I did a little stat check up, of my finds

micro : 44%

Small : 26%

Regular 15%

you try the same, so YES, Micro did take over !!

That won't work for me pal, look for yourself. I pride myself in keeping micro #3 on the list. :laughing: Most people do have micros as #1 though. I've always said they would eventually become the dominant cache size, and you could say, in a nutshell, cheaper and easier to deploy.

Interesting thread. Not too much micro bashing when the OP seems geared towards being all about the trading items, not many people care about trading.

I agree completely with the location of a cache needing to be interesting in some way. Beyond that I couldn't care less what the container is. I'm not into swag. I'm just into signing logs. I bison tube in an evergreen overlooking a beautiful waterfall is just as good as an ammo can under said evergreen to me. The only exception is one of a kind containers that someone put time and talent into and make you laugh or say WOW!

Ya Yuck :-) I know..

I did a little research in my friends stats, and I found it very interesting,

I know their taste and style, and see how this give a very different result on their Micro list %

I think I am more a cacher who just take what ever I can along my ways out there,

I dont plan all my trips that carefull or detailed,

I also grap alot of side caches if they happen to be close to the planned caches,

I dont read much on the cache pages, or care much about the size or D/T or attributes,

I just think it is funny to see if I can find the location and the cache there,

if I am in the middle of a long and complicated multi, I am happy to grap a bit of side trads along the way

if they are more or less on the route.

when we bring the kids, we surely try to visit regular sized as much as possible,

they dont even like to leave the car if I say it is a micro,

so YES to some (mostly kids) size and swag do matter alot.

Edited by OZ2CPU

You can always bring along a bunch of small containers with you and swap the micros out.

I'd be quite upset if someone interfered with my cache in that manner. I spent a fair amount of time setting up my caches and the micro is there on purpose to make the third stage of the puzzle difficult. Encouraging people to swap out containers, in my opinion would only lead to problems. Also the container that someone thought would be of a more appropriate size might not be suitable for caching. There are quite a few caches in my area that cannot keep the weather out. I think a better solution would be to contact the owner of a cache that could be improved with a larger container and working with them through discussion and education. In that way people learn what makes a good cache and no egos get dented.

It was a joke. :)

I live in a very cache rich area and micros are the norm, but we do have some very creative hiders for those micros (which may be in larger containers).

Micro 44.3 %

Small 29.5 %

Regular 19.7 %

Folks do put out larger caches as well, but when someone steals your ammo can, do you really want to put another one back out?

A truism!

This. I don't care what is in a larger container, I just grab the log and sign. I am an omniverous cacher but do appreciate being brought somewhere interesting by your cache, or shown a devious new method of hiding it in the right place. Some of my favorites are the urban in plain sight micro.

It was a joke. :)

I almost did it to a friend once. She placed a pine tree bison tube along a snowmobile trail, and I was going to drop a lock-n-lock, or even an ammo box. The plan was in place, but I never got around to it before archival. That would have been some funny stuff.

Folks do put out larger caches as well, but when someone steals your ammo can, do you really want to put another one back out?

No, but does the replacement have to be a pill bottle? How about hiding another quality swag size cache in a container that's not likely to get coveted and stolen - an authentic lock n lock, a kraft peanut butter jar, a wide-mouth nalgene jar, a wide-mouth thermos.

amazing Roman.. I was going to say : people with hi micro % tend to be people with many finds

or people who just find all they can on their way..

but I was wrong :-)

or maybe area concentration is VERY different in your area ??

so we just cant make any assumptions just based on the find %

Kind of hard to hide larger caches close to humanity, it only makes sense that 80% of caches would be micros to reduce their risk of being muggled and make them easier to hide.

I disagree. I have about 30 micro/nanos sitting in a box. I have more than a few hides and I'm sure they are 90% small or regular. At least 19/36 are LnL's or bigger. More would be if I had larger containers at the time I placed/replaced them. I have an ammo can near a well traveled road, not hidden in any way. 2 ammo cans just off of a highway(one painted blaze orange) and LnL's (that would have been ammo cans if I had some) placed within 50 feet of the largest highway that gets tens of thousands thousands of vehicles past it everyday. I also have a White/orange/olive green 3 foot long "giant bison tube" hanging from a tree-in plain sight to whoever walks up to it. Surrounded on all sides by the 2 roads with the most traffic.

A local cacher had a 3 or 4 foot long container hidden until it got discovered by construction crew working at that location. I have no problems hiding larger sized caches. There's no rules saying you have to hide within urban areas. Not saying that micros don't have their place-Ive seen some micros cleverly camo'd/hidden to suit their surroundings. One that looked like berries on a bush, a couple made in bats, even one in a hockey puck near a hockey arena. The area could have held a LnL or possibly an ammo can, but that's where the theme of the hockey puck-and figuring out how to open the puck-comes in and makes it a good cache. If you camo anything well enough it will not be muggled. It may be taken/ruined by someone who knows what ti is but this is true of any cache. If the only reason to hide a micro is because it's easier to find a place and you don't have/want to camo it, then you are hiding for the wrong reason.

Edit-fix my carp speeling

Edited by T.D.M.22

Depends on how the TB is designed I've made cases for some of my TBs that allow the to be magnetically attached or attached by twist tie. As long as the person left a note in the main cache. IVe set out only one that way. One solutiom... Set out a TB .hotel cache on your own.

45.4% micro

30.1% small

11.7% regular

This will be changing as weather warms up.

The majority of smalls and regulars in my locale are under trees and bushes.

Right now, most of those trees and bushes are surrounded by two to four feet of snow, and the caches are very buried.

The caches cannot be spotted visually, so if the GPSr doesn't agree with posted co-ordinates for whatever reason, you're kinda humped.

This is true for both urban and rural caches in the area.

Many of the rural bush-hides are somewhat unreachable because the summer roads leading to them are inaccessible to most vehicles.

In the winter, most micros and a few smalls are planted above the snow line.

In the summer, smalls and regulars are more accessible, so cachers will likely favor them.

I know I will. In the mean time, the micros are keeping the game moving.