Mingo gone again?

jellis

Secretly (well, not any more), I hope it gets archived.

The site has been compromised, somebody has it in for this cache, and what is the big deal.

It's like keeping the oldest man alive 'alive' on a respirator in the hospital.

What was the previous oldest active cache before Mingo 'earned' the title?

If I owned Mingo and still visited GC.com I would not want it archived, heck I'd even move it the acceptable distance if needed to keep the listing active.

Personally I'd like to see Mingo archived as Oregon and the next oldest listing is only a few hundred miles away but that's from a selfish point of view.

The site has been compromised, somebody has it in for this cache, and what is the big deal.

If I owned Mingo and still visited GC.com I would not want it archived, heck I'd even move it the acceptable distance if needed to keep the listing active.

Personally I'd like to see Mingo archived as Oregon and the next oldest listing is only a few hundred miles away but that's from a selfish point of view.

I'm not so sure anyone brought that up! What if Kansas Stasher Moved Mingo 400 feet or something? Would anyone have a problem with that? Of course I doubt he'd be allowed to bury it again. :)

I'm not so sure anyone brought that up! What if Kansas Stasher Moved Mingo 400 feet or something? Would anyone have a problem with that? Of course I doubt he'd be allowed to bury it again. :)

Felt Mingo should be moved for a long time now. The existing location has lots of problems, so move it!

I wonder why the CO hasn't adopted it out.

Not to be pessimistic, but yet another throw-down. Barring a change in policy at the top, Mingo will always be the oldest active cache, with an endless parade of adoring "fans" always willing to throw a cache down. It's a park-n-grab. The site has been compromised. Let it go.

Funny so is the Original stash tribute Plaque cache but they didn't archive that after so many times it's been muggled and still listing Travelbugs that are lost forever.

p.s Wouldn't a throw down be considered without permission by owner. Seems the CO gave it's blessing on that one.

Exactly, everyone wants to scream that the cache should be treated just like any other cache until it actually is. Scores of caches are replaced by a third party with the blessing of the cache owner, but when it happens in this case, they still cry foul.

Treating it like any other cache would also mean archiving it when the owner stopped performing maintenance and became unresponsive to reviewer inquiries- which has happened a few times now.

Well that would be the natural course and since the owner is still being active why are those saying archive. They should contact him and tell him that. Saying that here isn't doing anything. I rather just let take its natural course instead of trying to force an archive.

Edited by jellis

Treating it like any other cache would also mean archiving it when the owner stopped performing maintenance and became unresponsive to reviewer inquiries- which has happened a few times now.

That previously happened because a reviewer had forbidden him to change it to a micro. If it was was treated like any other cache, he would have been able to do that. Essentially because it was "Mingo", he was ordered to keep it a regular.

A regular sized cache would be very difficult to hide in that area, unless it was buried. A micro would not be against current guidelines, and less likely to get muggled. It also would not turn into a black hole for trackables. It seems that every other cache on the planet can have a size change, except for the iconic "Mingo".

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Not to be pessimistic, but yet another throw-down. Barring a change in policy at the top, Mingo will always be the oldest active cache, with an endless parade of adoring "fans" always willing to throw a cache down. It's a park-n-grab. The site has been compromised. Let it go.

Funny so is the Original stash tribute Plaque cache but they didn't archive that after so many times it's been muggled and still listing Travelbugs that are lost forever.

p.s Wouldn't a throw down be considered without permission by owner. Seems the CO gave it's blessing on that one.

Exactly, everyone wants to scream that the cache should be treated just like any other cache until it actually is. Scores of caches are replaced by a third party with the blessing of the cache owner, but when it happens in this case, they still cry foul.

And you know this, how?

I have, and I would think that most of us, have no idea what has been said between the CO and the reviewers in private. Most of the reviewer notes that I see posted to the listing are addressing the actions of other people.

How much involvement does someone have to have to be a considered a geocacher? The CO hasn't found a cache since 2009, do we kick him out of the club? As I see it, he is doing the absolute bare minimum required to keep his cache alive and as long as that continues, so will the cache.

That previously happened because a reviewer had forbidden him to change it to a micro. If it was was treated like any other cache, he would have been able to do that. Essentially because it was "Mingo", he was ordered to keep it a regular.

A regular sized cache would be very difficult to hide in that area, unless it was buried. A micro would not be against current guidelines, and less likely to get muggled. It also would not turn into a black hole for trackables. It seems that every other cache on the planet can have a size change, except for the iconic "Mingo".

Is that really what happened? I thought the reviewer disabled the listing because there was a micro in place and the listing said regular. Was the owner being told that he couldn't change the size or that he should change the size if he intended to keep a micro in place. In other words, keeping an accurate listing is part of cache maintenance. Either way, this sort of attention is not afforded to the average cache. In fact, I have never seen a reviewer disable a cache because the size on the listing was wrong.

Is that really what happened? I thought the reviewer disabled the listing because there was a micro in place and the listing said regular. Was the owner being told that he couldn't change the size or that he should change the size if he intended to keep a micro in place. In other words, keeping an accurate listing is part of cache maintenance. Either way, this sort of attention is not afforded to the average cache. In fact, I have never seen a reviewer disable a cache because the size on the listing was wrong.

I thought it was more that Mingo is so popular that a micro log would quickly be overwhelmed by all the visitors.

That what it looked like initially. Kansas Stasher hadn't logged on to the site in a few years, and Hemlock disabled the cache with a note stating "Mingo would not be Mingo unless it was a regular". It was speculated that either the cache page needed to be updated, or the replacement would have to be a regular.

Here it was clarified that it was disabled because the actual container size did not match the page. However, I am unaware of any other cache being disabled because of an incorrect size listing. I also questioned the official policy on throwdowns in this thread, as they seemed to be encouraged in the newsletter.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

FWIW, they did it the opposite way with the Ape cache near Seattle (the only such cache in North America). It kept getting trashed. It was replaced with a newer cache as a replacement even though it sure looked the same to me.

There sure are a lot of 'rules' that you can flip a coin to predict which way they'll go.

vds, you linked to two different caches. The A.P.E. cache was archived when the container went missing. And then a new, different cache, was placed in tribute. Finding the original A.P.E. cache would get you the A.P.E. Icon. Find the replacement traditional cache will not.

The Project A.P.E. caches were unique in the sport. At some point, it was determined that the original container needed to be in place for them to continue. this has nothing to do with Mingo.

My recollection on the disable of Mingo over the micro cache is that it was a throwdown. Had the cache owner placed it, or if the cache owner placed a micro now, or requested that someone else do it, and then updated the listing - that would be fine. Just like any other cache.

As to not start a new thread. Mingo has been vandalized once again. In the same way as last.

I didn't realize that the most recent (November?) issue was resolved.

Yes in some of the posts on here a group of cachers went out and fixed it with the blessing of the owner. But someone is intent on ruining the fun for others.

As to not start a new thread. Mingo has been vandalized once again. In the same way as last.

I didn't realize that the most recent (November?) issue was resolved.

Yes in some of the posts on here a group of cachers went out and fixed it with the blessing of the owner. But someone is intent on ruining the fun for others.

I scrolled down and saw the logs. Nov 11, I think it was. That was nice, but at this point, it seems to me to be pretty clear that the cache owner cannot, or is no longer willing, to maintain his own cache. I may be wrong, but I suspect this will be the end of it.

One of the nice things about Mingo compared to almost any other year 2000 cache I have found, is that it is accessible to all. It is very wheelchair friendly. I think it is nice that one of the few remaining bits of history in our sport is actually available to all.

If Mingo goes, the clowns that keep destroying it will just move on to other old caches and slowly kill those off too.

Let's look after our cache heritage, if that means people other than the cache owner helping to maintain a cache, what's the problem with that? With the massive proliferation of dumbed down excuses for caches that come out these days (like nanos and lamppost caches), it's nice to have something a bit different out there.

They should hold an event there every time it happens.

The question is, who has the stronger will? A group of dedicated cachers? Or an antisocial nutcase with OCD tendencies ? Their visit frequency has increased to a much shorter duration, so it appears that the continuous repairs has enfuriated "it". Eventually "it" could just explode if they keep on fixing the cache.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

They should hold an event there every time it happens.

The question is, who has the stronger will? A group of dedicated cachers? Or an antisocial nutcase with OCD tendencies ? Their visit frequency has increased to a much shorter duration, so it appears that the continuous repairs has enfuriated "it". Eventually "it" could just explode if they keep on fixing the cache.

Oh, I like the event idea. Also, why not carefully create a very well camouflaged hide replacement that makes it look like it was finally filled in? I suppose, however that, by now, the "saboteur" would be so thorough as to ravage the site and be sure it has been terminated again. :tired:

When I visited there and got the smiley several months ago I saw a lot of road equipment parked near by. back hoes etc... is it possible it is a worker that will eventually move on? I don't now this location is isolated! It is obviously the same person as they keep putting concrete in the hole. The whole BS with the reviewer makes me angry.. he will not allow it to be a micro or whatever... why the hell does he have any say about someone else's cache? To follow the rules of publishing etc yes... to determine if it changes to a different container?! NO! What happens with this cache is like any other it is up to the owner.

Chris

The whole BS with the reviewer makes me angry.. he will not allow it to be a micro or whatever... why the hell does he have any say about someone else's cache? To follow the rules of publishing etc yes... to determine if it changes to a different container?! NO! What happens with this cache is like any other it is up to the owner.

Chris

True, but if you change the style of the hide, the location of the hide and the type of container is it still Mingo or is it a new cache with a recycled GC number.

Edited by roundnround we go

When I visited there and got the smiley several months ago I saw a lot of road equipment parked near by. back hoes etc... is it possible it is a worker that will eventually move on? I don't now this location is isolated! It is obviously the same person as they keep putting concrete in the hole. The whole BS with the reviewer makes me angry.. he will not allow it to be a micro or whatever... why the hell does he have any say about someone else's cache? To follow the rules of publishing etc yes... to determine if it changes to a different container?! NO! What happens with this cache is like any other it is up to the owner.

Chris

Cache maintenance is the responsibility of the owner. While it is great when somebody helps the owner out on occasion, that should not be the norm. This cache owner seems to be content to sit back and allow others to keep his cache alive. That's not how its done and sets a poor precedent. The only reason this cache is still alive is because of its age and thus, its popularity. Any "normal" cache would have been archived by now.

The micro that you speak of was a throwdown cache left by someone without permission by the cache owner. That is why the reviewer wrote that note. If the cache owner had decided to change the cache to a micro, the reviewer would not have said anything.

Chris

I think you missed something. The reviewer did not want a micro there while the cache page said it was a large and he did not want everyone that visited to simply put down their own cache and then log it. What he wanted was the cache owner to go over there and maintain his cache and his cache listing. Over time, that has been sporadic at best, and at that particular time, he was not responding to the fact that it was missing. If I'm following the chronology correctly, the last three "Mingos" were not placed by the CO, but by "helpers". Face it, the CO probably hasn't been a actual cacher for years. He wants to be a part of caching history, but he can't or won't put in the necessary effort to properly do so.

Chris

I think you missed something. The reviewer did not want a micro there while the cache page said it was a large and he did not want everyone that visited to simply put down their own cache and then log it. What he wanted was the cache owner to go over there and maintain his cache and his cache listing. Over time, that has been sporadic at best, and at that particular time, he was not responding to the fact that it was missing. If I'm following the chronology correctly, the last three "Mingos" were not placed by the CO, but by "helpers". Face it, the CO probably hasn't been a actual cacher for years. He wants to be a part of caching history, but he can't or won't put in the necessary effort to properly do so.

Perhaps I did but I remember a post saying I will not allow mingo to be a micro... that is not mingo... SO maybe he was speaking in reference to the persons throw down micro... regardless...

Chris

This is what I was referring to in my last post. The reviewer at the time even mentioned that the CO wasn't responding to emails.

Just let it go...

I'm in that camp too...

The area is obviously not secure. This issues are great and the hand wringing and teeth gnashing over a cache that wouldn't even be publishable by today's guidelines is not even entertaining. This cache went the way of the dinosaur a long time ago, but people are still trying to administer CPR.

The person(s) who keep doing this are pathetic and we are providing them with entertainment. Letting go at this point is a win for this community and not the slimy cache maggot(s).

It's just a cache. Get over it. At some point someone will bean count this and discover it's not worth our time. Oh wait, I just did, but I didn't show my math. :anibad:

Archived it is the best way to deal with it.

The problem is this, the person that messing with GC30 (sad that knows the GC number by memory) knows he/she picked a cache that a number of geocachers that won't let it go. Yep, that person is winning if we keep on replacing it.

This hobby is all about fun and not stressing over little things like this. I dont take it too serious because geocaching to me helps me to relax and have fun. Caches are made to disappear, like it or not. Any caches that you placed out there got a chances of disappearing someday. Every cache I place out there will disappear someday. I believe the avg life cycle of a cache is around one to two years.

Setting up a game camera wont work because I believe the person thats messing with it is reading this threads and the cache page and a few other threads about this topic. So he/she is watching out for traps. Go ahead and set up one, but I will bet that it will disappear pretty quickly. Its in the middle of nowhere and its pretty easy to spot a webcam or game cam near by.

I'm in that camp too...

The area is obviously not secure. This issues are great and the hand wringing and teeth gnashing over a cache that wouldn't even be publishable by today's guidelines is not even entertaining. This cache went the way of the dinosaur a long time ago, but people are still trying to administer CPR.

Just to be clear... You mean Cache Placement Resuscitation? I'm sure the usual type would require a jack hammer! :rolleyes: Maybe I should say Restoration instead.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

The whole BS with the reviewer makes me angry.. he will not allow it to be a micro or whatever... why the hell does he have any say about someone else's cache? To follow the rules of publishing etc yes... to determine if it changes to a different container?! NO! What happens with this cache is like any other it is up to the owner.

Chris

True, but if you change the style of the hide, the location of the hide and the type of container is it still Mingo or is it a new cache with a recycled GC number.

True, there becomes a point where it is no longer Mingo and the whole thing is just plain silly. If the reviewer allowed it to be moved and turned into a micro and the vandal keeps stealing it, then what? It will become nothing but a constant throw down. That isn't even geocaching.

I hate to say it, but the pop-up timer is up and this turkey is done. Time to move on.

Having followed the Mingo drama for a while, I know that Kansas Stasher is still active.

I think the problem is that he's not active enough for impatient cachers who want to log Mingo.

(Or, if you like, the nth replacement for what used to be Mingo.)

We're headed to the midwest next summer, and I do intend on caching up in that corner of Kansas. And if Mingo is still active, sure, I'll log it. But my main goal will be finding Arikaree, not Mingo.

Active. But not actively maintaining his geocache.

Many COs have a volunteer maintainer as their 'maintenance plan'. I do this myself for several local caches.

The question is: How active/effective is the 'maintenance plan'. If it is highly random and not effective then it is time to reconsider.

On another thought, IF Mingo is archived for whatever reasons... Would the site be approved for a NEW cache by another owner? The 'damning' conditions would still be the same given it's history. Maybe things would change if it was a personal vendetta against the original owner, but I think that would be evident in the history.

Doug 7rxc