Question for cache owners?

I am setting out my first set of caches soon and was curious on your experiences, I have spent a decent amount of money and time on my caches so would setting them for premium members only keep them in better condition for the long haul? Basically do premium caches tend to fare better the regular ones? Or another way of putting it what is the pros and cons bout premium caches?

I do not think there is much value for PMO caches to fare better than the others. If someone wants to really go out of their way and steal a cache, they are going to do it PMO or not. More traffic may mean a higher chance a muggle will see the cacher look for it.

I only do PMO caches in theory if I want to keep traffic down a bit due to location or the cache itself requires a bookmark list (like a challenge) or something that is necessary to be a PM. There have been other topics on this before you could read if you can find them as well for further reading. Some folks think that by allowing folks to learn who has viewed the cache, one can figure how who may have stolen it if it goes missing. There is debate about that given the fact its easy to get pocket queries and find the coordinates of a cache, and the description, without ever viewing the cache page.

So, basically, a PMO cache will decrease traffic, and make sure most of the finders have the perks of being PMO benefits, that is all. Your choice.

...would setting them for premium members only keep them in better condition for the long haul? Basically do premium caches tend to fare better the regular ones?

In general, no. There are countless examples of PMO caches being thoroughly muggled. I'm sure there have been cases where a basic-member-muggle has been going around destroying non-PMOs and a PMO has survived, but I think those are more rare. Like lamoracke said, if someone really wants to mess with your cache, they'll find a way. And there's nothing saying a muggle can't stumble upon your cache out of pure luck. PMO status won't protect your cache in that case.

I am setting out my first set of caches soon and was curious on your experiences, I have spent a decent amount of money and time on my caches so would setting them for premium members only keep them in better condition for the long haul? Basically do premium caches tend to fare better the regular ones? Or another way of putting it what is the pros and cons bout premium caches?

It's nice to have the audit logs. All my newer caches are PMO's.

It's nice to have the audit logs. All my newer caches are PMO's.

Hope this is not considered hijacking this thread, but does the audit log show when a non-pm looks at the page even though they can't see anything except the advertisement to become a PM and the name, size and GC # of the cache? If not, then only those who are PM will show up on the audit log. What is the benefit of that? Are there PM's out there that would be in the mindset of vandalism or theft? :shocked:

As to the OP question, PMO caches certainly cut down on the number of people looking for them, but it does not prevent non-pms from getting the coordinates and finding the cache. It takes a little more time find the coordinates and the cache, but is definitely not difficult.

:ph34r:

Thanks for the opinions, I of course have more questions do you think most people know what a red herring faux cache is?

You mean like one or more containers near GZ that just contain the message "Not the cache. Keep looking!"? I've found a few like this, but they don't seem to be very common, so there may be a lot of cachers out there that haven't experienced it before. Just be prepared to have some cachers logging finds saying "Found a container that we think was the cache, but there wasn't a log, so we added one."

The theory behind PMO caches being safer is that someone who is intent just on stealing caches will not pay for a premium membership. This is probably true in many cases.

If someone is just running across the cache by accident, there are less people finding the cache, which will lead muggles to it.

There are people who are disgruntled with the caching world and intend harm on others. These people may have had a PMO membership already, but if they didn't, they're not likely to buy one just to inflict harm when there are so many caches to damage for free. This is the instance people are talking about when they talk about PMO caches being safer.

The last two caches I've listed were PMO caches because I do believe they last longer. We shall see.

As far as a second cache saying, "you didn't find it" those really drive me nuts. They've bugged me enough to keep me from looking for the "real" container. If I look in a spot and don't find a container, I don't need a container to tell me it's not there.

If I've found a container that was placed by the owner, then in a sense I have found the cache, so don't tell me I didn't. Sorry, drives me nuts.

I try not to P. off my cache searchers. I would rather make them smile with my hides. That is what I shoot for: caches that make people smile.

Thanks for the opinions, I of course have more questions do you think most people know what a red herring faux cache is?

You mean like one or more containers near GZ that just contain the message "Not the cache. Keep looking!"? I've found a few like this, but they don't seem to be very common, so there may be a lot of cachers out there that haven't experienced it before. Just be prepared to have some cachers logging finds saying "Found a container that we think was the cache, but there wasn't a log, so we added one."

Part of me is scared to put them out because of someone logging it as a find.... I will list it as an ammo can online so hopefully people will put 2 and 2 together when they find a matchstick container.... Also the actual cache will be listed as a puzzle. The cache will be called Batman: the worlds greatest detective and near it I will place a bright matchstick container with a laminated card with a picture of a super villain (my own artwork) "insulting" the cacher and saying this isn't the cache keep looking....

The cache's online page will have the story as being "muggled" by the Riddler so in order to open it you have to solve a riddle that's on the side of the ammo box....

This is my first cache ever so I am trying to make it as awesome as I can and different from anything I have seen in the area.

Making your cache PMO will probably get it more favorite points. There's a fake dogpoo cache near me that has more than 15 points. I doubt a non-PMO fake dogpoo cache would get any.

Also, don't count on the accuracy of the audit log; I am probably not the only one who will never click on PMO caches and who uses GSAK, PQs and the backdoor URL to render the audit log pointless.

The theory behind PMO caches being safer is that someone who is intent just on stealing caches will not pay for a premium membership. This is probably true in many cases.

If someone is just running across the cache by accident, there are less people finding the cache, which will lead muggles to it.

There are people who are disgruntled with the caching world and intend harm on others. These people may have had a PMO membership already, but if they didn't, they're not likely to buy one just to inflict harm when there are so many caches to damage for free. This is the instance people are talking about when they talk about PMO caches being safer.

The last two caches I've listed were PMO caches because I do believe they last longer. We shall see.

As far as a second cache saying, "you didn't find it" those really drive me nuts. They've bugged me enough to keep me from looking for the "real" container. If I look in a spot and don't find a container, I don't need a container to tell me it's not there.

If I've found a container that was placed by the owner, then in a sense I have found the cache, so don't tell me I didn't. Sorry, drives me nuts.

I try not to P. off my cache searchers. I would rather make them smile with my hides. That is what I shoot for: caches that make people smile.

Taunting the cacher would be my point, kinda making fun....I want to read interesting logs, I never want to see Tftc (I know I will)

Part of me is scared to put them out because of someone logging it as a find.... I will list it as an ammo can online so hopefully people will put 2 and 2 together when they find a matchstick container.... Also the actual cache will be listed as a puzzle. The cache will be called Batman: the worlds greatest detective and near it I will place a bright matchstick container with a laminated card with a picture of a super villain (my own artwork) "insulting" the cacher and saying this isn't the cache keep looking....

The cache's online page will have the story as being "muggled" by the Riddler so in order to open it you have to solve a riddle that's on the side of the ammo box....

This is my first cache ever so I am trying to make it as awesome as I can and different from anything I have seen in the area.

I admire your creativity and willingness to improve the activity! I love to see that. Thanks!!

Have you given any thought for each or any of the intermediate stages to be physical puzzles? We have several great multi's around here that are done like that... some of the puzzles get quite elaborate and unique!

I admire your creativity and willingness to improve the activity! I love to see that. Thanks!!

Have you given any thought for each or any of the intermediate stages to be physical puzzles? We have several great multi's around here that are done like that... some of the puzzles get quite elaborate and unique!

Originally I was going too, but I work a normal job, then come home to the farm and put in another days work, and take online classes, so in my free time I basically just crash and nap that's why it's taking me months to set up my caches in the fall my life opens back up so I may return to the idea of making a multi-stage cache then.

I am setting out my first set of caches soon and was curious on your experiences, I have spent a decent amount of money and time on my caches so would setting them for premium members only keep them in better condition for the long haul?

Nope. Putting the cache in a hard-to-reach area that requires a hike to get to is a much better way to keep it in good shape.

If you are worried about your cache not getting stolen, putting out fake caches that will annoy finders doesn't seem like a very smart idea.

IMO, "red herring" caches are a non-creative way to make a hide more difficult. I don't like them.

If you are worried about your cache not getting stolen, putting out fake caches that will annoy finders doesn't seem like a very smart idea.

IMO, "red herring" caches are a non-creative way to make a hide more difficult. I don't like them.

I can see your point, honestly the cache will or should be an easy find for the average person, the red herrings is not really meant to add a level of difficulty just a taunt....right now I have a few sketches of the riddler I don't know exactly what he will say but it will be something similar to "you call yourself a geocacher? Ha even the joker could have found the real cache by now." and in bold letters stating this isn't the cache.

Again I want to read logs stating people had fun or people got frustrated..I don't really care as long as I don't get any acronyms

Out of 157 hides, I have only made two (2) PMO caches.

Done so because the caches are challenge caches and I don't want people visiting them unless they have completed the requirements. Chances are slim that a non-PM could/would qualify.

I suppose the audit log could be fun to look at if you have nothing better to look at. :rolleyes:

I DO have better things to look at. ;)

I have seen or rather read about some people making caches and trading dvd's books etc...would you think if I left a few batman comics in the cache and requested people trade comics that would last any time? Has anyone had any luck with something like that? Regardless from time to time I will drop off a comic in it.

I have seen or rather read about some people making caches and trading dvd's books etc...would you think if I left a few batman comics in the cache and requested people trade comics that would last any time? Has anyone had any luck with something like that? Regardless from time to time I will drop off a comic in it.

Caches with themed trade items are OK, but you can't require certain items to be traded. You can request, but not require. So since not every cacher carries comic books around with them, they will eventually trade McToys for the comic books if they want one.

The simple answers are, IMO...

No

No

There really isn't a reason to set up a PMO cache, since TPTB turn a blind eye to the backdoor ways for non-paying players to log them.

would setting them for premium members only keep them in better condition for the long haul?

I ran some stats on the data I have from pocket queries for Florida from mid 2003 - 2009. PMO caches had a somewhat better survival rate. I'm not running many large queries any more, so I can't really say if that's still true. There are a LOT more PMO caches now then there used to be.

I'd think it would confer a modest survival benefit. I don't know about "better condition" - swag will deteriorate ...unless the cache is a long hike/paddle/climb. The audit log is kinda fun when the cache is brand new, but as others have noted, it's entirely possible to find and log a PMO cache and never appear on the audit log.

You'll have to buy Premium Membership for yourself to do this.

Re Red Herrings, hard to say. I adopted a called Red Herrings for Isonzo Karst. An ammo can suspended in a tree, and a number of burnt or otherwise damaged cans on the ground in the area, all with "this is not the cache" notes in them - laminated and taped up in the lid. It did okay for a while, but over time, as the number of cachers climbed, and the number of finders went up, it had more and more issues. People kept dropping swags and logs into the most conspicuous of the damaged cans on the ground, even with laminated note taped to the lid, the red herring note. And then TBs started being left in the can. Each time I'd make the trip to fix things, there were fewer of the damaged cans, until finally there was only one..... I guess cachers felt like they were useful as caches, and just going to waste there. I pulled it.

There is one big drawback to your plan to create them as PMO caches. And I can't believe no one notice this......

You have to be a Premium Member to do it.

I am aware of the membership requirement I plan on becoming a premium member, I just didn't want too in the beginning because if I had gotten bored with the hobby it would have been a waste of money. I think most people seen and just correctly assumed I would buy one.

There is one big drawback to your plan to create them as PMO caches. And I can't believe no one notice this......

I am aware of the membership requirement I plan on becoming a premium member, I just didn't want too in the beginning because if I had gotten bored with the hobby it would have been a waste of money. I think most people seen and just correctly assumed I would buy one.

Yes, I did. That's why I didn't respond. :laughing:

Regarding "red herring's", we call them Decoy's where I come from. Personally, no sir, I don't like them. Pretty much only one person in my area does this, and thank goodness it never "caught on". I go out to find caches, not to be messed with.

Premium caches will fare better than regular. Most of my latest hides have been premium and on existing hides once they are muggled I make them premium.

There really isn't a reason to set up a PMO cache, since TPTB turn a blind eye to the backdoor ways for non-paying players to log them.

It is not a blind eye, it is there by design. In fact, a couple years back the back door method was broken by one of the upgrades. The messages started however, if memory serves, the fix was already in the works and only took about 3 days.

Taunting the cacher would be my point, kinda making fun....I want to read interesting logs, I never want to see Tftc (I know I will)

I would ignore all of your caches. Plain and simple. What you are talking about is fun for you, frustrating for me. I'm not a toy for you to play with. I just ignore the caches from those that consistently put out decoys.

Strictly my personal experience. All of my trail side caches are open to everyone. I have rarely had any problems. Some have been out there for almost seven years. The first four urban caches that I hid were open and I quickly had problems with them disappearing. I have hid six more urban caches and made them PMO. I only had a problem with one. The rest have been out there for years with no problems. One has been in plain sight on a busy street for 3.5 years. It only has 100 finds on it, not the 200 that the other ones in the neighborhood have, but I don't have to replace it every three months like the other cachers do.

It's my personal opinion that PMO caches get less traffic and get less visits from new cachers that may not be familiar with the nuances of finding a cache without the whole world seeing it, putting the cache back where they found it, etc. This can help with the longevity of the cache.

t's my personal opinion that PMO caches get less traffic and get less visits from new cachers that may not be familiar with the nuances of finding a cache without the whole world seeing it, putting the cache back where they found it, etc. This can help with the longevity of the cache.

It may help to a minor extent, but choice of hiding place is far more important. Hide a PMO cache where non cachers are likely to discover it, and/or searchers are likely to be observed, and a non PMO cache off the beaten path where searchers are not likely to be seen, and the latter is far more likely to last.

Several COs in my area will publish a new cache as a PMO and then change it to general access when the traffic from the local cachers drops off. Muggling is also highly localized. All it takes is one cache pirate in an area to wreak havoc on the population. Perhaps if you publish as PMO initially, then open to all you will be able to see how your environment responds.

You can also have a premium member create a blank, unactivated, PMO cache listing, and send it to you using the adoption feature.www.geocaching.com/adopt/

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I would ignore all of your caches. Plain and simple. What you are talking about is fun for you, frustrating for me. I'm not a toy for you to play with. I just ignore the caches from those that consistently put out decoys.

I don't know if you read what the cache's theme in an above post, its about Batman being a detective, In fact its title will be Batman: The World's Greatest Dectective...the story will be The Riddler "muggled this cache, so a straight up cache its not, I understand still might not be your thing but, when something has got detective in the title it would be bad if it was completely simple. Not all of my planned hides will have a decoy, infact I am trying really hard to make each one entirely different, so far out of the ones I am currently building I haven't seen any similar in any of my finds (which isn't a lot lol) On the cache page I will list a "study" guide and on the actual ammo box, I will have the Riddle that you have to solve in order to open the word lock. My decoys will have a Batman villain (drawn by me) each with a unique taunt.

I do not know if it is allowed or been done before, I was thinking what if I put out several decoys and list the amount on the cache page lets say 5, each with a different villain and for a lack of a better term call it a "bonus" to attempt to find them all within the area....No logging required or anything like that because they are decoys just something that adds to the hide. I think that sounds like fun and also helps to those who may dislike decoys a different perspective on hunting and finding them. Sorta like rounding up all the Villians for Akham Asylum and you could list it on your logs which ones you found.

I don't know if you read what the cache's theme in an above post, its about Batman being a detective, In fact its title will be Batman: The World's Greatest Dectective...the story will be The Riddler "muggled this cache, so a straight up cache its not, I understand still might not be your thing but, when something has got detective in the title it would be bad if it was completely simple. Not all of my planned hides will have a decoy, infact I am trying really hard to make each one entirely different, so far out of the ones I am currently building I haven't seen any similar in any of my finds (which isn't a lot lol) On the cache page I will list a "study" guide and on the actual ammo box, I will have the Riddle that you have to solve in order to open the word lock. My decoys will have a Batman villain (drawn by me) each with a unique taunt.

I do not know if it is allowed or been done before, I was thinking what if I put out several decoys and list the amount on the cache page lets say 5, each with a different villain and for a lack of a better term call it a "bonus" to attempt to find them all within the area....No logging required or anything like that because they are decoys just something that adds to the hide. I think that sounds like fun and also helps to those who may dislike decoys a different perspective on hunting and finding them. Sorta like rounding up all the Villians for Akham Asylum and you could list it on your logs which ones you found.

Decoy caches are fun once. After that, they quickly become very annoying. Some have only one decoy, some have many. Sometimes the decoys are scattered about, sometimes they are all enclosed by a larger container (such as the annoying 100 film cannisters inside a 5 gallon jar type). I can tell that you want to do something above average by using this theme idea. I know that you said that time is hard to come by, but I would strongly encourage you to go beyond the decoy idea if you really want to do something unique and clever. Decoy caches do not fit that description for most of us.

I read the theme of your cache and I still hate decoys. Most of the people replying here are with me on this.

If you want a clever cache, find something unique and clever, not annoying.

I play this game to have fun. If I want to be annoyed I'll go sit in traffic, or get a root canal.

To the OP: I applaud your attempt to create a unique cache experience. I also appreciate your seeking advice from the community. There are many things that have worked out well, and many things that have not. Don't get discouraged. Read through the comments, and then take away what you will for your next hide. Hide something you would be interested in finding.

To the OP: I applaud your attempt to create a unique cache experience. I also appreciate your seeking advice from the community. There are many things that have worked out well, and many things that have not. Don't get discouraged. Read through the comments, and then take away what you will for your next hide. Hide something you would be interested in finding.

Thank you for the kind words.

Also know I have taken advice here, If I do decide to place decoys they will be only one of several different elements that I have incorporated into my cache that I hope makes it stand out, but each element on their own would make this hide worth hunting in my opinion.

The Ammo Can: Each side is hand painted with a different image or scene but with the same theme "Batman got muggled by Riddler." The inside of the can is also painted and stenciled. Not to mention it is locked with a word lock and the Riddle to open is listed on the side.

The Log Book: Something every cache has but most are either a scrap piece of paper or a cheap $1 pad....Again I hand painted a unique cover and on the inside of the log book got "themed" as Batman's personal Journal, so the cacher could simply sign the log book and go or spend probably near an hour looking at all the interesting facts,sketches, and blueprints about Batman and his world.

The Hide/area: The area to which it is hidden will be in the woods (100+ yard hike) near a small river and depending on what time of day a person goes to find it will be either the creepiest find ever or a beautiful one...

Future Caches: Again I don't have an actual hard ETA but I plan on creating a few other caches each completely different and unique from the last...meaning any thing I have used in creating this cache will not be used in the next one (puzzle, hiding style, Batman theme, decoys, most likely even size) I plan on leaving a heads up in the cache of my current builds and hopefully a decent ETA, and also pictures of this cache being built, I might have a link to my youtube account and post a video of the painting and drawing process of the box and log, etc.

I have found several caches in the local area and the surrounding towns, I have also asked my friends here that cache and we have never seen a decoy, so it seems that feature would be unique to my cache if I do place them there, my friends are encouraging the idea of adding the decoys because they have never seen them before, but I do fear copy cats burning the idea out rather quickly. So currently I may place them there, and if people in the area begin to copy or overuse the decoy idea I will remove them from the cache.

I like your ideas, and I don't really mind the taunts ... but instead of 'insulting the cacher', I would say something like 'Drat, the villain was already at this spot and took this cache, wonder where he left it instead'.

Well the word insult is actually rather strong for what I am intending to do, It would be something with a "G" rating because I do expect kids to stumble upon these, more times then actual adults. The insults I hope will make an adult smirk and a child laugh.

I read the theme of your cache and I still hate decoys. Most of the people replying here are with me on this.

I play this game to have fun. If I want to be annoyed I'll go sit in traffic, or get a root canal.

I don't think you are the majority on this, my friends are really encouraging me to put out decoys because they have never seen them before, a few people here on the forum like the idea as well...To those who have never seen this feature (like my friends) in a cache it is clever, unique, and exciting. Again each time I build a cache it will be completely different from the last, so I might not get a favorite point from people like you that dislike decoys but I am sure I will earn one from you with another hide.

I don't think you are the majority on this, my friends are really encouraging me to put out decoys because they have never seen them before, a few people here on the forum like the idea as well...To those who have never seen this feature (like my friends) in a cache it is clever, unique, and exciting.

The problem with decoys is that they do seem clever the first time, but soon they just become annoying. But, as you say, that's OK, not everyone has to be pleased with everything. I think the takeaway message from the responses here is don't do it for every cache, and it sounds like you're already talking about just a one-time thing.

Just be prepared for logs that say, "There was no log in the cache, just a note saying 'keep looking', so I signed the back of that. TFTC!" Yes, that happens.

yes cause red herrings are about as bad as needle in haystack caches.

Im curious why one would think that a PMO cache would get MORE favorite points?

I understand that the total points to find ratio would be affected, althought the % shown only reflects PM finds to favorite points.

So, why would PMO caches get more points?

The poster said they have 15 points, but if it was a "public" cache they feel it wouldnt have any...im confused

Im curious why one would think that a PMO cache would get MORE favorite points?

I understand that the total points to find ratio would be affected, althought the % shown only reflects PM finds to favorite points.

So, why would PMO caches get more points?

The poster said they have 15 points, but if it was a "public" cache they feel it wouldnt have any...im confused

I don't believe it matters whether it is a PMO or not, it is how well it was created and well remembered. Favorite points are meant to let other cachers know about caches they think are great enough to be visited by others.PMO caches are meant to just deter too many non PMO cachers from visiting. Plus you can audit the page to see who maybe viewing it( necessarily visiting it) It doesn't prevent muggles from finding it or others from messing with it if they wanted to.