Recently Viewed Caches

iTooth

can definitely tell all my recently viewed caches are due to the forums today. Am snow bound (at least by my bravery level of snow with my car) so makes sense.

GC38KT6 DGS: O.G.C.B.U.Y.G. - Live Feed - Battle Creek, MI (live streaming event discussion)

GCDBD2 Big Tree, Little Tree (3500 year old virtual discussion)

GC9F46 Orient Yourself To Orient Beach 2 (logging while on a cruise discussion)

I don't like it. It gets in the way. Has anyone asked for this feature in the feedback forums?

Is there a greasemonkey script available to suppress the "Recently Viewed Caches" list?

I dont think so. They deny all the good ideas and give us this. :blink:

Oh I see a script coming up really soon.

Edited by SwineFlew

http://forums.Ground...howtopic=288931

According to GS, the last 50 should appear in the "Recently Viewed". They should have made an option for like 5, 10, 20, etc... not 50 straight off the get go!

Nope. You guys need to read the release notes. Only 5 will display on your main profile page. You will see up to 50 if you click the View All link it to expand it. And if you check out the release notes, somebody did post a ABP (Ad Block Plus) setting to hide it. But I would wait for a while... I think it will be useful once you get used to it.

http://forums.Ground...howtopic=288931

According to GS, the last 50 should appear in the "Recently Viewed". They should have made an option for like 5, 10, 20, etc... not 50 straight off the get go!

Nope. You guys need to read the release notes. Only 5 will display on your main profile page. You will see up to 50 if you click the View All link it to expand it. And if you check out the release notes, somebody did post a ABP (Ad Block Plus) setting to hide it. But I would wait for a while... I think it will be useful once you get used to it.

Yes I see now that it maxes out at 5 unless I want to see them all. I'm disliking it a lot less knowing that. :)

I don't like it. It gets in the way. Has anyone asked for this feature in the feedback forums?

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

My second thought was, "just because I recently viewed a cache listing, doesn't mean that I ever want to see it again".

There are three caches on my most recently viewed list, all of them puzzle caches. I can actually seeing the feature being useful for those that like doing puzzle caches.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

My second thought was, "just because I recently viewed a cache listing, doesn't mean that I ever want to see it again".

There are three caches on my most recently viewed list, all of them puzzle caches. I can actually seeing the feature being useful for those that like doing puzzle caches.

My thoughts exactly. The development seems very random sometimes. GS needs to get some true diehard cachers on their development team. People who live, breath, eat, sleep, bleed Geocaching. People who cache every chance they get. Or maybe I just have to accept that I may be the 1%.

For anyone who uses GSAK or any other offline DB this is really pointless. I guess if I rarely cached or had very poor memory this would come in handy. I instantly added it to ABP hopefully it just becomes a tab in the future.

I've changed my mind a bit. I thought this was garbage and I do wish it could be toggled between enable and disable, but I do see where I will use it. Say, I've looked at 5 new geocaches and I go find them. When I log on to the website, I can now hit the log it link on those 5 and not have to search for them.

Edited by TerraViators

yes, I agree, I think folks should give this feature a chance before condemning it. Aren't you glad to know developers try to give us enhancements on their own and not just the things we asked for. Its not like its a fundamental change or a takeaway.

But there are items that we have asked for, and have been promised, that we still don't have.

I find it annoying, and wish I could turn it off. However, it is not that big of a deal, and if others find it useful, I guess I can live with it. :unsure:

I don't use pocket queries, so I look at a lot of caches that I will look at one time and that's it. I also look at a lot that are referenced in the forums. I just wish they had put it after the list of recently found caches.

My thoughts exactly. The development seems very random sometimes. GS needs to get some true diehard cachers on their development team. People who live, breath, eat, sleep, bleed Geocaching. People who cache every chance they get. Or maybe I just have to accept that I may be the 1%.

However, I wouldn't want to only see developers who cache every chance they get on the development type. There also should be people that are "casual" geocachers on the team so that feature development caters to those that *don't" live, breath, eat, sleep, and bleed Geocaching as well.

I've changed my mind a bit. I thought this was garbage and I do wish it could be toggled between enable and disable, but I do see where I will use it. Say, I've looked at 5 new geocaches and I go find them. When I log on to the website, I can not hit the log it link on those 5 and not have to search for them.

When I go caching, I use a pocket query that I load into GSAK. When I get back, I retrieve all found caches from my GPS and filter GSAK to show only found caches. I then click on them on by one and log them. Works great.

But I do think this feature will have some uses for me. I agree with others though that wish it could be hidden or toggled. But I can live with it the way it is.

I've changed my mind a bit. I thought this was garbage and I do wish it could be toggled between enable and disable, but I do see where I will use it. Say, I've looked at 5 new geocaches and I go find them. When I log on to the website, I can not hit the log it link on those 5 and not have to search for them.

When I go caching, I use a pocket query that I load into GSAK. When I get back, I retrieve all found caches from my GPS and filter GSAK to show only found caches. I then click on them on by one and log them. Works great.

But I do think this feature will have some uses for me. I agree with others though that wish it could be hidden or toggled. But I can live with it the way it is.

Yes, that is the most efficient way, but if you just go out in the neighborhood to find 3 or 4 or 5, you probably wouldn't load a PQ for it. It would be easy to use the most recently viewed.

I haven't read all the posts....but my question is...

What's the max amount of caches that will sit in your 'recently viewed'?? I mean...If I sit here and visit 30 cache pages, will all 30 of them be in my recently viewed? Anyone know what the magic maximum number is?

When will it reset or clear out? Is it 24 hours or more? Right now, I've got 5 of them and I swear they've been there for longer than 24 hours. What gives? Will they just keep adding up until eternity?

Or was there something in the guidelines I forgot to read (don't have time to read)?

The Quick View as nice....but with all these 'recently views', I'm gonna have to start clicking on my 'Geocaches' and filtering from there to get away from the recently viewed.

I haven't read all the posts....but my question is...

What's the max amount of caches that will sit in your 'recently viewed'?? I mean...If I sit here and visit 30 cache pages, will all 30 of them be in my recently viewed? Anyone know what the magic maximum number is?

When will it reset or clear out? Is it 24 hours or more? Right now, I've got 5 of them and I swear they've been there for longer than 24 hours. What gives? Will they just keep adding up until eternity?

Or was there something in the guidelines I forgot to read (don't have time to read)?

The Quick View as nice....but with all these 'recently views', I'm gonna have to start clicking on my 'Geocaches' and filtering from there to get away from the recently viewed.

Just five will show up. To see the rest (up to fifty), you have to click the (Recently Viewed) link at the top of your profile.

man oh man, of all the things to gripe about this one has to be the pettiest yet! How many even look at that page often....... arg, crusty grumpy old men just gripe about anything. :P

I don't care one way or the other about the new Recently Viewed Caches feature. It won't be of any use to me, but it might be to someone else and it isn't that intrusive, with only five entries listed by default.

I mostly wanted to respond to the part of the quote I bolded. I use that Personal Profile page as my entry into the geocaching site, so I'm on that page many times a day. I can't remember the last time I visited the actual GC home page.

--Larry

man oh man, of all the things to gripe about this one has to be the pettiest yet! How many even look at that page often....... arg, crusty grumpy old men just gripe about anything. :P

all the time, is my "home" page

i don't mind the list at all, i would prefer as i said in the release notes thread if it was just one cache showing as a reminder that the feature its there

and OMG at those complaining about having to scroll...scrolling is hard labor :lol:

It's probably the most viewed page (other than facebook) that I have. It has all the links. I'm not saying it's a horrible feature, but that the placement is bad and I personally have no use for it.

yes, I agree, I think folks should give this feature a chance before condemning it. Aren't you glad to know developers try to give us enhancements on their own and not just the things we asked for. Its not like its a fundamental change or a takeaway.

Who's using the feature? Can anyone explain how this is a useful feature for them and how they use it?

I don't care one way or the other about the new Recently Viewed Caches feature. It won't be of any use to me, but it might be to someone else and it isn't that intrusive, with only five entries listed by default.

I mostly wanted to respond to the part of the quote I bolded. I use that Personal Profile page as my entry into the geocaching site, so I'm on that page many times a day. I can't remember the last time I visited the actual GC home page.

--Larry

same here.. when I first open my browser that's the page that I see.