Giving FTF Honors

a2n

A couple of friends and fellow cachers recently gifted me with a special cache to place to commemorate an event in my life. When I do find the perfect location, I would like to allow these friends to have the honor of FTF on this one.

Is that a legitimate action, and if so, how would I go about making sure they were given the opportunity to sign the log and claim FTF before the other local FTF chasers in the area?

I'm hoping to find the answer to my question here. If it's not a cool thing to do, I will just place the cache and let fate take it's course.

A couple of friends and fellow cachers recently gifted me with a special cache to place to commemorate an event in my life. When I do find the perfect location, I would like to allow these friends to have the honor of FTF on this one.

Is that a legitimate action, and if so, how would I go about making sure they were given the opportunity to sign the log and claim FTF before the other local FTF chasers in the area?

I'm hoping to find the answer to my question here. If it's not a cool thing to do, I will just place the cache and let fate take it's course.

Give them the coordinates before it is published.

Just be warned, some folks may cry "foul" though.

Let 'em cry!

It's your cache; your perfect place; your work setting it; your gift to them resulting from their gift to you.

This wouldn't be any different than placing a birthday cache, a proposal cache or even a special 'honor' cache.

I wouldn't however, run a marquee banner or the like on the cache page for the FTF. That would sort of be like rubbing salt into a wound.

I'm guessing the OP is also OK with gimmee putts in the 3-6' range. <_<

My reaction was a bit different. I wonder if the OP's friends would consider a gimme FTF a reward. It seems to me the point of FTF for those who are competitive about them is that there is some challenge to beat out the other FTF enthusiasts in your neighborhood. But if it's the thought that counts, his friends might appreciate the "honor". :unsure:

My reaction was a bit different. I wonder if the OP's friends would consider a gimme FTF a reward. It seems to me the point of FTF for those who are competitive about them is that there is some challenge to beat out the other FTF enthusiasts in your neighborhood. But if it's the thought that counts, his friends might appreciate the "honor". :unsure:

That's about the way I see it as well. If there is any "honor" to FTF, its because you beat everyone else to the cache. Not much of a race when you've been given the coordinates ahead of time.

It would be a better idea to just create a cache in their honor.

As others have suggested, if you want to give them the FTF, then give them the coordinates before the cache is published on the geocaching.com site.

As for whether it's "legitimate" to do this, that depends on how you view FTF. Clearly, there isn't much honor in winning a race if you're the only person racing. But you may see some other value in FTF, for example, finding the cache exactly the way the CO hid it (before cache migration and wear & tear take their toll), or merely being the first to experience the cache (like an artist showing a new piece to a friend before the big gallery opening).

Those who consider the value of FTF to be winning a race will consider the "gimme" to be lame, so be prepared for that. But that's what the FTFAP acronym is for.

This isn't really a FTF, sorry.

There are a few people around here and take the FTF pretty seriously. This would ruin their whole night I suspect.

How about you get the "placed for find" and log entry and the next stranger to find it gets the actual FTF. Would that be so bad?

I mean that person after you is really the actual FTF.

Shaun

This isn't really a FTF, sorry.

There are a few people around here and take the FTF pretty seriously. This would ruin their whole night I suspect.

How about you get the "placed for find" and log entry and the next stranger to find it gets the actual FTF. Would that be so bad?

I mean that person after you is really the actual FTF.

Shaun

FTF is a fact, not something you bestow upon someone.

In our area, special tribute caches, for a variety of occasions, are set up all the time, often with a request on the cache page to allow the honoree(s) to be FTF, usually with a specified date and time. Usually, too, there is an open invitation for anyone who wants to join at that time for the FTF party. And usually, for the most part, this is respected and as far as I can think, noone has objected. It's fun and entertaining. A nice break from the routine cache runs, it even promotes comraderie and community (oh, the anarchy) There are plenty of caches to compete for "real" FTFs if that's your game. There's nothing wrong with a little fun to show friends you care.

FTF is not something to be given or awarded, it's a statement of fact. If you want your friends to be FTF, give them the coords before the cache is published. It's your cache and nobody else's business who you give the coords to and when.

Now if you are going to honor their "accomplishment" with a congratulations on your cache page, or if your friends gloat about their FTF with a "yoo hoo, FTF" log then a lot of people will consider that to be the height of cheesiness.

I really appreciate the responses and you have all helped me decide what to do. I don't want to disrespect the integrity of the game, and if I didn't have some doubts about my original plan, I would not have posted the question here. Thanks for helping me out.

I will honor my friends with a little story about how the cache was given to me on the listing description and leave it to fate to see who signs the log first.

Edited by a2n

I think letting them find it first would be a really sweet thing to do (sweet like "awww", not sweet like "awesome"). I don't really have the FTF drive and while it would be really neat to find it first... I guess my chances of doing that are slim enough that I'm just not into it :unsure: Not to rag on anyone who does, it definitely adds something to caching!

I think what you've decided is probably best. That seems like a "last forever" thing :)

I think if you let them actually find it first, then they can find it but maybe not sign as the official first to find people. But what you've chosen seems the most fair, the least likely to ruffle any feathers, and still a very sweet gesture of friendship :)

I really appreciate the responses and you have all helped me decide what to do. I don't want to disrespect the integrity of the game, and if I didn't have some doubts about my original plan, I would not have posted the question here. Thanks for helping me out.

I will honor my friends with a little story about how the cache was given to me on the listing description and leave it to fate to see who signs the log first.

It is your cache to do as you wish. Don't let someone who does not understand FTF dictate your actions.

Giving the coords ahead of time so they can find it first is a legitimate find. i.e. not lame and not disrespectful. Your friends will work just as hard to find it as anyone else you give the ooords to either directly or via a listing site.

FTF is a binary state, you either are or you are not. Listing it anywhere does not affect that in any way.

Although being an "elitist" was not at the heart of my original intent, I understand how that could be perceived. For that reason, I am not giving the co-ords out prior to publication, and no "preferential treatment."

Again, thanks for all the thoughtful responses.

You also mentioned about ftf honors. Giving someone a first place trophy when there is no one to compete against isn't an honor it is a gift.

One problem (and it has happened here) is that they can't log it until it is published. The ftf hounds will be on the move as soon as published only to get there and find the ftf has been claimed. Won't make friends that way.

You also mentioned about ftf honors. Giving someone a first place trophy when there is no one to compete against isn't an honor it is a gift.

One problem (and it has happened here) is that they can't log it until it is published. The ftf hounds will be on the move as soon as published only to get there and find the ftf has been claimed. Won't make friends that way.

Of course, the CO give the coordinates to someone before the cache is published, wait until that person has found it, then include a "Congrats to so-and-so for FTF" when they submit the listing for review. It's all moot at this point though as the OP has decided to go with what I think is a good solution for honoring another cacher.

It is supposed to be a gift, just as the cache was to the OP when his/her friends gave it to him/her. Putting it out on a specified day and time would make it more of a social event where whoever wanted to could join in for some good fun. Ok, so this one cache won't be a notch in anyone's belt but it seems ludricous and maybe a bit sad to think that there would be hard feelings over it. There must be a lot of disappointed FTF hounds out there since only one can ever be first. It's just a game. There's certainly nothing wrong with the way the OP is planning to do the honoring now, I just think it would have been ok to make it a planned FTF event too.

This would be true if FTF was something that could be awarded, or for that matter, earned. FTF if simply you were the first to find, by accident, given the coords, reading it on a listing site, etc. It is something that simply is.

I thought about this for a long time, and come up with two solutions:

1. Hide the cache in a place where hiking is involved (and not a short hike). Tell the reviewer to publish it on a specified date, early in the morning. Tell the honoree to be prepared for a geohike on said date, early in the morning.

This only works if the honoree is into hiking. Optionally, you can hide the cache next to the honoree's residence and give him a "heads up" - "watch for any new listing 1 mile from your house", but the chances for a FTF hound to grab the FTF are higher this way.

2. Host an event, and give out the coordinates during said event, before publication, to all attendees. At some of the events I attended, the coordinates were given out, and the caches were published 30 minutes or more after the FTF rush.

To give the honoree a chance to FTF the cache placed in his honor, hide multiple caches. Tell the attendees "This cache was placed to honor {cacher}, these others are ordinary run-of-the-mill caches". All people I know will go for the ordinary caches and let the honoree find the one dedicated to him.

I also saw it done another way:

3. Hide a cache, name it "Dedicated to {cacher}" or something like that. Wait for it to be published.

Despite {cacher} arriving 48 hours after publication, he was FTF. Every cacher attempting the cache before him (also after him) said "I'm not going in there!"

This only works if the honoree is into a niche of extreme caching, and you can manage to place a cache of this sort.

Speaking as a former FTF hound (only because I will not spend the money to own a smart phone)

IMO giving a FTF is just lame. If the cacher can not earn one the hard way like other FTF hounds to bad.

"Freebies / Given" FTF's Suck!! (Honor & Glory) it's the game.