Log Sheet / Book

firestars

Is it neccersary to include a logbook or logsheet in your cache?

I have a few caches out there and nanos and micros aside, I dont like to put in a log, because to be honest it;

a) It gets in the way

B) I will never read it

c) It will eventually require replacement.

The logs I have had to replace so far simply get put in the bin without a second thought.

Is it neccersary to include a logbook or logsheet in your cache?

I have a few caches out there and nanos and micros aside, I dont like to put in a log, because to be honest it;

a) It gets in the way

B) I will never read it

c) It will eventually require replacement.

The logs I have had to replace so far simply get put in the bin without a second thought.

Yes, it's necessary.

Not to include a log will take Geocaching into a new era. The log provides the only proof that the seeker has really bagged the cache. I understand your sentiment but one or two of my caches have finds on the web pages without a corresponding log in the cache… and some of these are by seekers able to bag caches at phenomenal rates. Not to include a log may encourage others to log finds without leaving their keyboard. The most significant point however is that signing the log is closure for the seeker and gives them the satisfaction of a job well done.

If they choose not to sign the log, then that is up to them. If they want to manipulate their own stats,again, that is up to them. I dont care if you have 1 or 1 million finds, I only worry about what I have.

For that reason, I never sign Nanos or anything that looks wet or dirty as I just CBA.

I think the 'need' to sign is strong. Many people drop off log books in my larger caches, simply so they can sign something :)

Edited by firestars

Well...

Thinking about it...

If you didn't have a log book/strip...

Then you wouldn't need any sort of container...

And if you do away with the container then all you have is a Virtual location.

So you might as well give people a set of co-ords and give them a hint "Space under the rock behind the junction box" or whatever.

Nah. It'll never catch on.

MrsB ;)

Are you trolling?! Firstly a log asking what a Mega is (after the main question of what Geolympix is), and now this. As you say 'dem the rules' and if in 9 months of caching, you haven't read them, perhaps it's worth starting, especially as you've already set a heap of caches!

:blink:

No, I can assure you I am not.

I cache for myself. I had no idea what a Mega was (and do not have any desire to attend one) - I also did not study the rules enough to realise that a paper log is required in a cache.

I will take myself away and chastise myself.

I cache for myself. I had no idea what a Mega was (and do not have any desire to attend one) - I also did not study the rules enough to realise that a paper log is required in a cache.

I will take myself away and chastise myself.

Your profile says you have found 346 caches (OK some are Virtuals, and there is an Earthcache) and you've hidden 19 caches.

When you submit a cache you tick the box to say:

Yes. I have read and understand the guidelines for listing a cache.

And your unsure of the rules of caching? :huh:

I can confirm that is correct. In exactly the same way that you are not aware of the T+Cs of your bank account, car insurance or similar.

Caching and setting caches requires common sense. It was a simple question regarding the need for a pointless paper cache they ends up getting wet, torn and put in the bin. It may be in the rules but tbh, I have never read them, nor will I read them. Perhaps I should have ;o)

Edited by firestars

Surely most cachers carry spare logbooks/sheets and will replace any they find full? If not, education is required :)

No.

The only time I ever did anything similar to a cache I got a Quite Angry e-mail from the cache owner asking me not to do it again. I'm not going there again.

And what to do with the cache you remove? If its sooo important to people, do you have to post it to the CO? or fax it perhaps?

Surely most cachers carry spare logbooks/sheets and will replace any they find full? If not, education is required :)

No.

The only time I ever did anything similar to a cache I got a Quite Angry e-mail from the cache owner asking me not to do it again. I'm not going there again.

Obviously, I don't know the particulars on what you did but can I just say that from my point of view, to replace a log book for a cacher is a very thoughtful gesture and I am baffled why someone would get angry.

When we put a new log book in a cache, we leave the old one in situ if appropriate but remove if wet. We take the wet one home (spreading out & drying if required). We mention this in our log and also contact the CO by email to see if they would like the old one posting to them. Please don't let this cacher put you off replacing logs in future, I am certain that most cachers would be grateful for your kindness but I am willing to be corrected on here if necessary :unsure: .

As for the above.... I am staggered that the CO didn't know this fundamental rule :wacko: .

Not me, it's not my job to maintain other peoples caches for them.

It's not my job, no. But I do sometimes do cache maintenance on other people's caches, because I'm so pleased when other people do it on mine. The thing is, I'm already on the spot, and popping in a new log is no hassle, whereas if they have to trek out to their cache and do it themselves, it eats into their caching time.

So if anyone finds a wet or full log in one of my caches, I'll be very pleased if you do a bit of maintenance for me.

Not me, it's not my job to maintain other peoples caches for them.

It's not my job, no. But I do sometimes do cache maintenance on other people's caches, because I'm so pleased when other people do it on mine. The thing is, I'm already on the spot, and popping in a new log is no hassle, whereas if they have to trek out to their cache and do it themselves, it eats into their caching time.

So if anyone finds a wet or full log in one of my caches, I'll be very pleased if you do a bit of maintenance for me.

Well said, I'm doing a maintenance trip on a series I've placed today and noticed another cache just off the route has been destroyed by the local farmers hedge cutting. I've made a replacement box up and will place it where I found the original a while ago. The CO hasn't logged into the site for over a year and it's either replace or ask for it to be archived. It's in a reasonably remote spot so don't think anyone would be wanting to place a new cache there if this one did get archived.

No.

And what to do with the cache you remove? If its sooo important to people, do you have to post it to the CO? or fax it perhaps?

Well, er... um ... Yes, actually that's just what you would offer to do if you remove a log, I'd say.

If you remove a wet or full log from a cache, I think the best thing to do is to say that you've done it in your log and ask the CO if they would like it back (suggesting that they contact you to arrange its return).

The last time I replaced a full damp log (and only because it had gone half a dozen visits with all finders saying its full/damp etc and there was no word from the CO) I did just that and the CO DID want it back. In the end I put it in the post to them after it had spent a day drying out in my airing cupboard.

I think in the rules somewhere it says that its the CO's responsibility to replace wet/full logbooks etc, so I don't think that the onus is on a finder to do so, but sometimes, If you're on the spot, it can be helpful. I'd recommend letting the CO know, though and offering to get the old log to them.

Well said, I'm doing a maintenance trip on a series I've placed today and noticed another cache just off the route has been destroyed by the local farmers hedge cutting. I've made a replacement box up and will place it where I found the original a while ago. The CO hasn't logged into the site for over a year and it's either replace or ask for it to be archived. It's in a reasonably remote spot so don't think anyone would be wanting to place a new cache there if this one did get archived.
Sorry, I disagree. If the cache is destroyed and the owner is no longer active I think it is better for the cache to be archived and for you to set a new one in its place.

Rgds, Andy

Are you trolling?! Firstly a log asking what a Mega is (after the main question of what Geolympix is), and now this. As you say 'dem the rules' and if in 9 months of caching, you haven't read them, perhaps it's worth starting, especially as you've already set a heap of caches!

:blink:

Exactly what I was thinking.

firestars you may deny that you are, but your posts certainly suggest you are looking to get some sort of reaction.

I can confirm that is correct. In exactly the same way that you are not aware of the T+Cs of your bank account, car insurance or similar.

Caching and setting caches requires common sense. It was a simple question regarding the need for a pointless paper cache they ends up getting wet, torn and put in the bin. It may be in the rules but tbh, I have never read them, nor will I read them. Perhaps I should have ;o)

After this admission, I wonder if any of your future caches will get published? You would presume that if you can't be bothered with the minor rules that you wouldn't be bothered with the more important rules such as permission!

Edited by Haggis Hunter

I have recently launched a new series of caches with just a pen at the co ordinates. No box, no swaps. After all, the lids break, vermin chew though the plastic, they get wet, folks don’t swap 'up or even' and they are expensive. I find the whole 'box thing' really tiresome and to be frank, I can’t be faffed with performing maintenance. I made the decision to set my Biro (Boycott Inane Receptacle Ownership) series and henceforth, remove myself from any further obligation.

I have recently launched a new series of caches with just a pen at the co ordinates. No box, no swaps. After all, the lids break, vermin chew though the plastic, they get wet, folks don’t swap 'up or even' and they are expensive. I find the whole 'box thing' really tiresome and to be frank, I can’t be faffed with performing maintenance. I made the decision to set my Biro (Boycott Inane Receptacle Ownership) series and henceforth, remove myself from any further obligation.

They really should have a like button on here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And you save on even more maintenance (and receiving NM and SBA logs) by not publishing the coords. :anibad:

Huzzah! Just had a FTF logged on the new series. Unfortunately though, as so often happens with the old 'box type' caches, they 'TPLN' (Took Pen Left Nothing). So, now we are already faced with our first maint trip :mad:

Edited to correct spelling but had to borrow a pen from next door - we've run out.

Edited by thehoomer

Huzzah! Just had a FTF logged on the new series. Unfortunately though, as so often happens with the old 'box type' caches, they 'TPLN' (Took Pen Left Nothing). So, now we are already faced with our first maint trip :mad:

Edited to correct spelling but had to borrow a pen from next door - we've run out.

Oooh - you really should post a "will laugh out loud" warning prior to the rest of your post! I think I've woken the neighbours...

:laughing:

But do you really need to do maintenance? Just put BYOP on the cache page.

Many old ‘box type’ caches only contain a scrap of damp till roll as a logbook and given their prolificity, must be a success. So, I am refining a more economical version of the Geocache. By simply using Biro refills as my caches, I can utilise the outer casings for our forthcoming blowfootballing Event Cache.

But do you really need to do maintenance? Just put BYOP on the cache page.

Now that WAS funny :laughing: