Turkey

I clicked on your name here in the forums. This opens you profile page.

Then I click on the "Statistics" tab.

Then I click on the "maps" tab.

Scroll down and under "Caches Found by Fernwirkkopf in Asia" I see Turkey listed.

Conversely, Turkey is NOT listed under "Caches Found by Fernwirkkopf in Europe"

I clicked on your name here in the forums. This opens you profile page.

Then I click on the "Statistics" tab.

Then I click on the "maps" tab.

Scroll down and under "Caches Found by Fernwirkkopf in Asia" I see Turkey listed.

Conversely, Turkey is NOT listed under "Caches Found by Fernwirkkopf in Europe"

You are right, Lil Devil, the Groundspeak stats are correct. I create my stats with GC Statistic

and they consider Turkey as Europe.

Thanx for clearing this for me!

Well, all I know is that the turkish government wanted to get into the EU for years...maybe they've taken the first step? :ph34r:

I suppose those caches were not found in Istanbul, were they?

No, all in the Asian part of Turkey. But You are right, they still want to get into the EU. Don't ask me why. They're better off without it.

Political boundaries are going to swirl around.

Do I really care what continent some bureaucrat thinks it's on?

In this case, it's not a matter of political boundaries, but rather of geographical boundaries. The political boundaries of Turkey are well defined, but unfortunately they don't match the geographical boundaries of the continents. Specifically, the boundary between Europe and Asia has historically been a matter of debate.

Edited by dfx

I don't understand how it matters.

I found a cache in Turkey=COOL!

Political boundaries are going to swirl around.

Do I really care what continent some bureaucrat thinks it's on?

You might not care but some might like to count the number of continents where they've found a geocache. If the stats include Turkey as part of the Asian continent and someone hasn't found caches in any other European country they'd only get "credit" for one continent. If someone is already found a cache in a European country and another Asian country it really wouldn't matter though. I've found caches in several European countries and in China but I'd still like to find one in Turkey.

I did a bit of research prior to going to Costa Rica to see if I could add a new continent but from what I could tell Costa Rica is either part of North America or not part of one of the seven continents at all.

Well, all I know is that the turkish government wanted to get into the EU for years...maybe they've taken the first step? :ph34r:

I suppose those caches were not found in Istanbul, were they?

No, all in the Asian part of Turkey. But You are right, they still want to get into the EU. Don't ask me why. They're better off without it.

Probably....and on the other hand, it's not Europe, so no EU Membership :blink:

Edited by Otis.Gore

It's generally accepted that the area to the west of the Bosphorus is Europe and to the east is Asia.

Yeah I know, and further up you have the Caucasus and then the Urals. But those are really quite arbitrary definitions and were subject to change over the centuries. The Bosporus was pretty much the only part of the boundary that never changed.

I also wonder why Groundspeak cannot assign the continent correctly. We were caching in Istanbul, some caches were in Europe and some in Asia, the statistics do not distinguish. Why not? It cannot be difficult to set a continent assignment for the reviewer that publishs a cache. We use caching equipment that shows us every spot on the world with a precision of 3 m but the continents are shown wrong in the statistics. Crazy.

I also wonder why Groundspeak cannot assign the continent correctly. We were caching in Istanbul, some caches were in Europe and some in Asia, the statistics do not distinguish. Why not? It cannot be difficult to set a continent assignment for the reviewer that publishs a cache. We use caching equipment that shows us every spot on the world with a precision of 3 m but the continents are shown wrong in the statistics. Crazy.

Ever wonder how someone correctly attributes a find to a county in the USA, considering how many of them and what weird, wiggly borders they have? :blink:

Ist nicht fur verstehen. Relaxen und watchen das blinken satellichten. B)

I wish you luck in getting it straightened out quickly. It took us years to get the Northeast forum renamed to the Mid-Atlantic forum. For years Groundspeak keep referring to the Mid-Atlantic region as the Northeast for some reason.

Hey, I'm actually going there for Easter break! Just Istanbul (not Constantinople), though I'll be sure to hit up both sides of the Bosporus so I can say I've made it to Asia this year. B)

The only reason IMO that it's annoying that they count Turkey as part of Asia is that the Asian map in statistics is AWFUL, it's jut your world map with the Asia countries filled in. <_<