Has anyone heard of a travelling cache?

I was recently introduced to an old cache type, called a "travelling" cache. The clincher here is that you find the cache and take it with you to re-hide. You then post the new co-ords and someone else races out to find it, re-hides it, posts new co-ords again and so on. Has anyone ever found this cache type before? My understanding is that they are rare now - maybe only 3 in the world? I looked at the "Getting Started With GeoCaching - Cache Types. The travelling cache is not listed under the "grandfathered" cache type. Can anyone verify how many of these are still in existence? Can you share some stories/general information about one that you may have found?

Here is a bookmark list that has alot of them. I have found 7 on this list and 2 that aren't on it anymore. They were archived.

42 on that list. I found one that isn't on it, but is on another one with 46 caches on the list, so I'll take a wild guess that there are under 50 in existence.

I found Weird NJ -Rolling Rock Cache in 2004, when it was in place at a zany haunted tomb in Central NJ. I did not move it, as I'm not from New Jersey, and was just there on business.

Not trying to start nuttin', but the several of you have mentioned signing them at events, that ain't how they are supposed to work. :D What would make that any different from the horrifically vilified Pocket Cache? :o

P.S. Not that I care, I've found one in the last couple months on another website that works like that. That's not how they work here though.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Not trying to start nuttin', but the several of you have mentioned signing them at events, that ain't how they are supposed to work. :D What would make that any different from the horrifically vilified Pocket Cache? :o

Usually.... when found at an event you log that you found it AND the coords, as it is logged as having been placed at that location even though the carrier of the cache retains possession of it until they actually hide it again.

Usually.... when found at an event you log that you found it AND the coords, as it is logged as having been placed at that location even though the carrier of the cache retains possession of it until they actually hide it again.

I've not seen that, but these things are so rare (probably under 50 left), who knows how everyone does it. One that's listed as being about 60 miles from my home coordinates never changes coordinates, travels to events, and has never once been used as anything but a "pocket cache" since the day it was created in 2002. Again, with under 50 of them around, I'm sure no one cares what people are doing with them.

So...could I set up a 'party TB' which in fact is a box with bunting, masks, hats, and other party related stuff in it for people to discover and use for taking photos (let's say, at events?) Would that work?

Sure, although it might go missing.

There is a trackable/mission thingy sort of like that in the Geocoin forums. Tiki something.

I've logged two of them. I picked up GCC6B, Fly...Mars Rover, the very first one, which has been traveling since June 2001, in a cemetery cache in Washington DC in May, 2006 and I moved it to Nebraska. Then CarleenP and I took it to Midwest Geobash. She grabbed it and took it to Groundspeak Headquarters and the volunteers meeting where it met a lot of people before moving on. It's in Alabama now. Last winter, along with a bunch of other people, I logged GCC6B, Corp.of Discovery, at an event in Illinois. I think it was considered to be in transit at the time.

I'm glad there are still a few around. But it's too bad they don't get a map like a TB so you can see where they have been.