Should Kids be allowed to post in the forums?

I suspect the age requirement is all about the law. If a child develops an inappropriate relationship with an adult through these forums or is exposed to inappropriate content here Groundspeak can say that the child violated the published TOU and it was the parent's responsibility to see that the kid adhered to them.

You mean, like Facebook?

Exactly! As a parent it is your duty to know where your kids are and what they are doing.

Some of the questionable responses I have seen here remind me very much of the culture on that forum.

I don't know what your reading, but nothing here that I have seen has been as vulgar as 4chan.

I don't know what YOU'RE reading....YOU'RE not YOUR....makes me nuts....

Some of the questionable responses I have seen here remind me very much of the culture on that forum.

I don't know what your reading, but nothing here that I have seen has been as vulgar as 4chan.

Drives me nuts too, but when you type this fast you are bound to make a few mistakes! I fixed it.

Drives me nuts too, but when you type this fast you are bound to make a few mistakes! I fixed it.

That was just the language arts teacher in me being frustrated by the lack of proper grammar and spelling on cache pages and in the forums...sorry if I attacked.... :) Some cache pages I have read are just awful...I wonder, would this horrible speller want to know that they look stupid/non-educated or do I just let it go? I have always just let it go....

I don't know... It seems like half of the adults here can't even be bothered to read the OP sometimes. Or maybe they are so set in their ways they just fight and troll instead of considering someone else's opinion.

Some young blood might make people fall a bit more in line with etiquette you could expect from larger forums? Hard to say, but I wouldn't really list 15 year olds on the list of problems with these forums. I see so much other stuff that ruins interesting conversation and would get you a nice vacation in the penalty box elsewhere from people twice that age.

That was just the language arts teacher in me being frustrated by the lack of proper grammar and spelling on cache pages and in the forums...sorry if I attacked.... :) Some cache pages I have read are just awful...I wonder, would this horrible speller want to know that they look stupid/non-educated or do I just let it go? I have always just let it go....

Hard to say. Would you want someone to point out that this post makes you look like a know it all snob?

Don't really have much of an opinion on the actual topic, but I can clarify one thing: The 13 year old limit for Facebook (and many other sites) comes from the US Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998. (COPPA) Among other things, websites can get in big trouble with the law if they let people under the age of 13 sign up without getting verified parental permission. Other countries may have similar laws.

Much more info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_Online_Privacy_Protection_Act

Hard to say. Would you want someone to point out that this post makes you look like a know it all snob?

+1

Edit to add: CO who do not bother to use spell check on their cache page shows a lack of quality. One may guess that that could be carried over to their cache. Hmmm. Maybe I better go back and spell check all my caches incase I forgot any.

Edited by Andronicus

...and the poor spelling and grammar isn't confined to the kids that post here. That's a whole different topic.

Would you? But honestly, sometimes the amount of snark on these forums just kills me. Honestly.

Yes, I would actually like to know if I make a grammar mistake. I'd have to say that making a post about it is probably not the best plan, but a PM would be appreciated.

I honestly do NOT care if anyone thinks I am a know it all snob when it comes to grammar and spelling. I am positive that everyone knows a lot more about many other things then I do....

I also do not believe that my post made me look like a snob...that is your reflection but not my reality...

So, with that said, if anyone ever wants a proofreader for their cache pages, let me know...someday, I may need your help with something and I will call on you for assistance. I think helping each other out makes us part of the geocaching community team.

An added note to GOF and Bacall - I just read your Puzzle Cache description, Blinded with..., if you would like help with correcting the spelling and grammar errors, I am happy to help you with that....NOW I look like a SNOB..... ;)

Edited by KBfamily

I believe that "know it all" should really be hyphenated.

I honestly do NOT care if anyone thinks I am a know it all snob when it comes to grammar and spelling. I am positive that everyone knows a lot more about many other things then I do....

I also do not believe that my post made me look like a snob...that is your reflection but not my reality...

So, with that said, if anyone ever wants a proofreader for their cache pages, let me know...someday, I may need your help with something and I will call on you for assistance. I think helping each other out makes us part of the geocaching community team.

An added note to GOF and Bacall - I just read your Puzzle Cache description, Blinded with..., if you would like help with correcting the spelling and grammar errors, I am happy to help you with that....NOW I look like a SNOB..... ;)

Shouldn't that be, "than"?

Is that what the kids mean when they say, " hoisted by your own petard"? :D

not everyone that enjoys geocaching are old and retired. Older people can be just as ignorant and complain over stupid issues. You can't judge a group by certain individuals. This game is for fun and some people just take it to serious, getting hung up on the comments of one person. Just get over it and keep on truckin, can't enjoy yourself with all that hate in your heart

No, you looked like a snob when you started correcting the postings of others in this thread. Seems there use of they're wasn't up to snuff. As far as correcting my grammar well ya cin taik yur halp hoam witch ya. Us unedumacated stoopid peepols don kneed yur hep.

I've been online since 1987 when the Dialup BBS was king, and the internet was still only available to University, Government, and Military people. The 'behavior' or vibe is no different from what it was like back then. There are always a few people who think they are better than other 'the elites or lites as the called themselves back then' who ridiculed anyone for any sign of weakness or lack of knowledge. There were the jerks, who ridiculed, insulted and sometimes bullied people, and then there were just people who liked to connect with others. The 'I'm untouchable behind my computer' mentality brings out the ugly in some people. Back then we would instruct practitioners of bad behavior on netiquette or online etiquette. If the behavior continued warnings would be issued and then as a last straw a ban.

Age verification on the web is next to impossible. For the most part these forums are pretty tame. Go to a Linux users forum, and you will see what I mean.

Let the kids on, they are part of the overall geocaching experience and they can be instructed on what's appropriate and what is not. Gentle and kind words go a lot further than harsh reprimands. If a particular user becomes a problem on an ongoing basis, then the website should take appropriate actions and ban them. I'm sure this whole thread has been a wake up call for some under 18 and some over 18 users.

Anyways, back to the subject. Has anyone come up with a reason why those younger members should not be allowed to participate? Something other than "'cause they aren't old enough"?

I would welcome all posters regardless of age given that everyone follows the TOU and tries to get along with everyone else.

On the whole, this is one of the best forums on the net because it tends to be self governing and when someone gets out of line there is someone to step up and take issue.

I've seen people get jumped on, right or wrong, and some of the jumpers are wearing caulked boots, the nonsense either comes to an end or the topic is closed.

I think think, on an overall basis, it is handled well and age certainly is not an issue.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx

4. Use of Publishing Tools and Forums

All features, functions and areas of the geocaching.com website, including the Groundspeak Forums (http://forums.Groundspeak.com), are governed by this Agreement and are also subject to such additional terms and conditions as Groundspeak may, from time to time, publicize. To participate in the Groundspeak Discussion Forums, you must be 18 years or older.

This particular bit of the Terms of Use has been widely ignored. Should it be enforced?

Vote Here

I know which kid you are talking about, and that person is not the only kid out there. You are suggesting one kid does one action affects all the other kids who have posted nicely in the forums. Believe me, all except one kid has been posting nicely.

not everyone that enjoys geocaching are old and retired. Older people can be just as ignorant and complain over stupid issues. You can't judge a group by certain individuals. This game is for fun and some people just take it to serious, getting hung up on the comments of one person. Just get over it and keep on truckin, can't enjoy yourself with all that hate in your heart

Seriously? "Hate in your heart"? My drama meter just spun around the dial about 10 times. There are posted rules. They say you have to be 18. There are a couple of kids who somewhat recently became regulars who are not even close to 18. Should the rule be ammended?

YUP!! "Than" it is!! LOL!! Happy Day All!!

No, you looked like a snob when you started correcting the postings of others in this thread. Seems there use of they're wasn't up to snuff. As far as correcting my grammar well ya cin taik yur halp hoam witch ya. Us unedumacated stoopid peepols don kneed yur hep.

I, in fun, corrected ONE posting not "postings"...and it was your and you're not there and they're...good luck to you and your "unedumacated" cache postings.

It should be "hoist with his own petard."

It should be "hoist with his own petard."

As a direct quote of Shakespeare it certainly would be, but if I am not quoting I think I could get away with it. I did however use quotations so perhaps the fuse is lit and the castle door is somewhat more distant than I thought :lol:

I think this thread is a great example of how it's not the kids that 'cause the fusses on this forum.

Bring on the kids. One of their main functions is to teach adults patience and gentleness.

Do you really see impatience in this thread? I see nothing of the kind. Just some discussion of differing opinions. A little good-natured teasing about spelling mistakes and the like, but nothing out of line. In fact, your post is probably the most negative in the entire thread.

Edited by knowschad

Really, the whole "hate in your heart" and 'whoa my drama meter' wasn't negative?

And the calling each other snobs?

Ok..I guess that's adult nice behavior.

Sorry, I missed the "hate in your heart" bit:

Sounds to me like a younger person posted that. "Drama meter" was a reaction to that younger person's overstatement.

While we're picking nits, I find you use too many ellipses in your writing. :P

All kidding aside, back to the topic at hand.

I have no problems with ignoring the posts from people who annoy me, regardless of age. I have no problems with listening to the opinions of those who form intelligent thoughts.

A forum age limit really has no impact on me so I'm OK with however Groundspeak wishes to handle it.

Removing the "18 years of age" clause could bring up some legal and liability issues.

I do hope that all internet time for minors is under some parental supervision, but am realistic enough to know that poor parenting exists. Therefore, Groundspeak is right to keep the clause, but is also in a position that they can't just start deleting people without proof the guidelines are being ignored or threats exist as this is a service portal. Most often, if predatory messages are being sent or posted through the site, the person sending them needs deleted to preserve the "family friendly" aspect.

Still, I don't have a problem if the child has good communication skills and has something worthwhile to contribute.

Really, the whole "hate in your heart" and 'whoa my drama meter' wasn't negative?

Sounds to me like a younger person posted that. "Drama meter" was a reaction to that younger person's overstatement.

Never occured to me that "hate in your heart" may have been posted by a Youth! Sorry about that. :D I'm known to hate the Chilndren though.

So for example, let's say I get banned for being underaged. What happens in a year a couple months when I turn 18, do I get to post again?

I would think that if the only reason for your banishment was being underage then once that no longer applies there would be no reason to continue the ban. If we are voting on it that would be my vote.

But it may not work that way and once out you are out for good. Guess I could see it going either way depending on if the ban was temporary or permanent. Can the system do temporary bans?

Good question and I await a more informed response.

Actually I have found this thread absolutely hysterical!!!

Here we are discussing whether young people can converse like adults, and here the adults are calling each other snobs, correcting each other, and complaining about each other, and each others posts. (WITH oxford comma, okay?)

This is turning into a really funny thread.

We really aren't giving the kids that high of a bar to reach.

I'd say let 'em in. They haven't been doing any worse than the adults for sure.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Actually I have found this thread absolutely hysterical!!!

Here we are discussing whether young people can converse like adults, and here the adults are calling each other snobs, correcting each other, and complaining about each other, and each others posts. (WITH oxford comma, okay?)

This is turning into a really funny thread.

We really aren't giving the kids that high of a bar to reach.

I'd say let 'em in. They haven't been doing any worse than the adults for sure.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

We didn't "call each other snobs". I am the only snob here....................................................

Perhaps Groundspeak just need to add a little box for the parents to tick, and send a mail to the parents' email for a response to take legal responsibility.

I think (for under 13 year olds) it would be a little more complicated then that.

From the COPPA Wikipedia article:

Website operators must use reasonable procedures to ensure they are dealing with the child's parent. These procedures may include:

* obtaining a signed form from the parent via postal mail or facsimile;

* accepting and verifying a credit card number;

* taking calls from parents on a toll-free telephone number staffed by trained personnel;

* email accompanied by digital signature;

* email accompanied by a PIN or password obtained through one of the verification methods above.

Operators who follow one of these procedures acting in good faith to a request for parental access are protected from liability under federal and state law for inadvertent disclosures of a child's information to someone who purports to be a parent.

While children under 13 can legally give out personal information with their parents' permission, many websites altogether disallow underage children from using their services due to the amount of paperwork involved.

So does this post indicate that Groundspeak is now going to block underage members from the forums? Or is it drama just his expectation based on this thread?

For those who won't pay to play in OT:

Anyone around the age 18 - 20? It seems as though I might have to leave for a year and a half from these forums due to new rules being enforced. Sucks, but I guess the only alternative of waiting the year of non-posting in these forums is to switch to someone about a year older. Any suggestions?

I suspect that if Groundspeak were about to start enforcing the age limit they'd just do it and wouldn't be sending kids a message that they were about to do so, but what do I know?

Has anyone been told this will happen?

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler