Teacher Discounts on Premium Memberships

What's up with all the negativity? The OP just asked a simple question. He/she didn't imply that there should be a teacher discount - just asked if there was one.

For me it's because around here teachers get a plethora of discounts and they're amount the highest paid employees in this community with one of the very few jobs that offers health benefits. Where a good job is considered to be a part time $9/hour job. If the claim is they paid poorly there a number of other poorly paid professional job classes in this community as well that would benefit from a discount program but don't get one.

I pony up my $30/year. It's not cheap for me either. I'm paid well in a professional job but do have student loan debt and so forth to attend to. Same with many other people. And it gets just a little old to hear about the teacher discounts. It was one question here, however, in my real life and others I'm sure it's at best a slap in the face.

I pony up my $30/year. It's not cheap for me either. I'm paid well in a professional job but do have student loan debt and so forth to attend to. Same with many other people. And it gets just a little old to hear about the teacher discounts. It was one question here, however, in my real life and others I'm sure it's at best a slap in the face.

For me, I wouldn't go that far, but I do think it's an odd question to ask when $30 gets you on for a year. Should everything that has an educational possibility for a classroom get a discount when a teacher buys it?

Incidentally my wife is a teacher and premium member. She ponied up the $30. It never occured to her to ask.

Not ripping the questioner, but I'm of the mindset that when something costs as much as a trip out to a moderately priced casual dining restaurant and the money goes to a good cause / company, you should just pony it up. If the discount is 50%, what does that get you? $15 off a year? blink.gif

Spring for it. It's worth it.

They get free premium memberships, but ONLY if they happen to be land managers, and forest rangers also. ;)

Don't forget Park Rangers :D

No. You must mean park warden.

One of the local geocachers is a retired Game Warden. They are called "Conservation Poilce Officers" now. Guess they get free PM if they want it? Quite a few people that work for the State have basic accounts. Geocaching has caught on with the people that use Parks in the Commonwealth.

VSP's has a geocaching program, so most employees are at least aware of geocaching. Most geocachers just look like hikers with boonie hats and a hiking stick prodding an ammo can under a bush. :laughing:

They get free premium memberships, but ONLY if they happen to be land managers, and forest rangers also. ;)

Don't forget Park Rangers :D

No. You must mean park warden.

One of the local geocachers is a retired Game Warden. They are called "Conservation Poilce Officers" now. Guess they get free PM if they want it? Quite a few people that work for the State have basic accounts. Geocaching has caught on with the people that use Parks in the Commonwealth.

VSP's has a geocaching program, so most employees are at least aware of geocaching. Most geocachers just look like hikers with boonie hats and a hiking stick prodding an ammo can under a bush. :laughing:

Conservation Police Officer? Lol, in a few years they will have another name.

I don't think your retired Game Warden will qualify for a free PM. My understanding is it's for active land managers with an official email address who need to keep an eye on Premium caches placed on land they manage.

I wonder if there is a discount for retirees/senior citizens?? :unsure:

Donno, send an email to contact@Groundspeak.com and ask. :anibad:

Seriously though, if any of us knew about a discount we would say so. Best to simply go to the source and ask there. They might have something available, especially if enough ask.

I wonder if there is a discount for retirees/senior citizens?? :unsure:

Donno, send an email to contact@Groundspeak.com and ask. :anibad:

{SNIP} Best to simply go to the source and ask there. They might have something available, especially if enough ask.

Oh I agree. Asking any of us just leads to a bunch of angst and speculation. If you want a true answer... you ask the source.

What's up with all the negativity? The OP just asked a simple question. He/she didn't imply that there should be a teacher discount - just asked if there was one.

The unasked question would be, If not, Why not?

There were no unasked questions in the OP. There was only an asked question.

I believe BlueDeuce provided the correct suggestion for obtaining the actual answer.

So why not them? What's something special about teachers that makes them deserving of a discounted Premium Membership that can't be applied to any other profession?

No one has suggested that teachers are more deserving of a discounted membership than anyone else.

Some people contributing to this discussion are inventing controversy where none actually exists.

So why not them? What's something special about teachers that makes them deserving of a discounted Premium Membership that can't be applied to any other profession?

It has to do with teaching kids by paying for materials out of their own pocket. Now, whether you think that's a right or wrong endeavor some companies are willing to supply resources and if Groundspeak wants to support it then that is their business. Whether you like it or not.