Best Geocache

The best cache is your first cache...

Or your 5000th cache

Or the cache you did with your best friend before they moved far away

Or the cache where your partner proposed

Or your baby's first cache

Or the cache you finally found after 3 DNFs

Or that ammo can at the top of the mountain on a crystal clear day

Or that lamp post on the day when your teenager admitted he really does love you Mom

:D

Based on favorites only (and looking at Arkansas)

http://coord.info/GCG0P0

36% of the cachers favorited the cache and there are 27 favorite points

http://coord.info/GC1B

19% of the cachers favorited the cache and there are 43 favorite points

I am very surprised that these percentages are so low. Apparently favorite points are less frequently used in the US

than e.g. in Germany and Austria.

This German cache e.g. has 133 favorite points and 58% as ratio.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5fe76dd3-d800-441d-8baa-ae110bf26ea8

I selected the cache arbitrarily out of some I know.

Cezanne

Based on favorites only (and looking at Arkansas)

http://coord.info/GCG0P0

36% of the cachers favorited the cache and there are 27 favorite points

http://coord.info/GC1B

19% of the cachers favorited the cache and there are 43 favorite points

But as many mentioned, it's very subjective.

Favorites can be misleading too. The second most favorited cache in NJ is a rather ordinary cache. There are a number of other caches within a half mile of it that bring you to far more interesting spots. It's the oldest cache in NJ however so it gets it gets favorited a lot.

Same with Mingo, the oldest existing cache. From what I've heard it's really nothing special as caches go, yet it has over 300 favorite points.

Favorites can be misleading too. The second most favorited cache in NJ is a rather ordinary cache. There are a number of other caches within a half mile of it that bring you to far more interesting spots. It's the oldest cache in NJ however so it gets it gets favorited a lot.

Same with Mingo, the oldest existing cache. From what I've heard it's really nothing special as caches go, yet it has over 300 favorite points.

And that's why I included the percentage of favorited. Old mundane caches may have a high number of favorites just because they've been found a lot. Newer caches that have been found only a few times and favorited by most of the finders, may have only a few favorite points but may have a high percentage. So a combination of gross points and percentage of total points is a better combination.

======================

I think the difference between Germany and the US is that many more people that get involved in caching stay in caching. Newer caches found more recently will get a higher percentage. Some of the caches around here have been found by many, many accounts that are no longer involved in caching.

And that's why I've suggested a more reliable percentage: Percentage of accounts that have awarded at least one favorite point. There are premium accounts that COULD have awarded favorite points that either have never bothered or don't believe that the system will work. There are also accounts that are premium and award favorite points, but have let their accounts lapse. This modified percentage is like saying "X percent of the accounts that had the opportunity to award this a favorite point did". More reliable than the current method. But the difference between the current method and my proposal is probably negligible with the number of overall favorites being used.

Ha! Searched on "Best Cache" and there are about 4 pages. Most favorites is 6...many named "best ever" have none. What's up w/ so many named "best cache by a dam site"?

I found "Voted best cache in Bakersfield". It was a Gladware container, with a cracked lid and a log book that swelled up to three times it's normal size, located in not very desirable area.

I couldn't help but to log that Bakersfield must have mighty low standards.

In each state...

What's the best geocache?

Might as well as what is the best rock band? Or the best food to eat? Or the best color? :P

The Rolling Stones, NY Strip steak med-rare, green B)

Can't argue with the Stones, but I'm partial to Led Zeppelin. Porterhouse. It's a NY Strip with a fillet on the other side of the bone. I like blue.

Ha! Searched on "Best Cache" and there are about 4 pages. Most favorites is 6...many named "best ever" have none. What's up w/ so many named "best cache by a dam site"?

I don't know about any of the others, but mine is the best cache I have that's near a dam site (one of six dams in an old coal mining area) - it's the only one I have near a dam site, so of course it's the best.

And that's why I included the percentage of favorited. Old mundane caches may have a high number of favorites just because they've been found a lot. Newer caches that have been found only a few times and favorited by most of the finders, may have only a few favorite points but may have a high percentage. So a combination of gross points and percentage of total points is a better combination.

======================

I think the difference between Germany and the US is that many more people that get involved in caching stay in caching. Newer caches found more recently will get a higher percentage. Some of the caches around here have been found by many, many accounts that are no longer involved in caching.

And that's why I've suggested a more reliable percentage: Percentage of accounts that have awarded at least one favorite point. There are premium accounts that COULD have awarded favorite points that either have never bothered or don't believe that the system will work. There are also accounts that are premium and award favorite points, but have let their accounts lapse. This modified percentage is like saying "X percent of the accounts that had the opportunity to award this a favorite point did". More reliable than the current method. But the difference between the current method and my proposal is probably negligible with the number of overall favorites being used.

I have only issued a couple of my favorite points -- and since I had about 1000 caches when the favorite system started, I have about 100 points just laying in my account (they are for sale -- anybody want them? :) ) Really it is just too much of a pain to go back through 1000 caches and pick the top 100 and award them.

I've never really done research of geocaching habits in other countries, but now I'm really curious. I can't figure what you were implying, do US cachers tend to stay longer, or Germany cachers?

I've never really done research of geocaching habits in other countries, but now I'm really curious. I can't figure what you were implying, do US cachers tend to stay longer, or Germany cachers?

Well, Germany has a huge amount of cachers but the number of people inhabiting the US is much bigger. But that doesn't give a conclusion, does it?