How Many Finds Before You Aren't Surprised Anymore

My son and I have been caching for less than a year and have 855 finds and 10 hides so far. We like to travel to different cities/areas within an hour of home to get a variety of finds from the varied hiders. The burning question I have is how many finds do you make before you get to a point where you are rarely, if ever, stumped? Or, has anyone got to that point?

Edited by goalie003

Around 3-4K finds, you begin to home-in on the more likely locations.

Sometime this pre-conception is NOT to your advantage! :mad:

Just when you think you have got it all figured out, a newbee comes along (with a fresh idea) and throws some grease under your wheels. :lol:

This is the main reason I am completely against requiring a certain number of finds before cachers are allowed to hide...I certainly don't want them putting out the 'same old cache like the one I found last week'.

I think it's a percentage factor that you will never reach zero.

If you are in an empty field with just a chain-link fence...(Edited for spoiler content)...afterwards you reduced the surprise factor by about 5%. The next time you find yourself in the same situation, there's no surprise, just one more place to look.

A new twist is one reason while you'll never reach zero, but also the simple satisfaction of having your experience pay off, is also a surprise. And a pleasant one at that.

I still get surprised when I find an LPC. Today I found one that was a nano hidden in a giant plastic cockroach. You should have seen me jump when it fell out as I lifted the skirt. :o

ROFL!!! Thanks for making my night with a mental visualization of that!!!

My son and I have been caching for less than a year and have 855 finds and 10 hides so far. We like to travel to different cities/areas within an hour of home to get a variety of finds from the varied hiders. The burning question I have is how many finds do you make before you get to a point where you are rarely, if ever, stumped? Or, has anyone got to that point?

The day you think you've reached the point that you can find anything.... you need to look for this one:

GC2QGJG, Log Your DNFs Please

There are three of us with a combined total of over 5,000 finds working on looking for this.

The burning question I have is how many finds do you make before you get to a point where you are rarely, if ever, stumped? Or, has anyone got to that point?

More than 3000 Finds over the last seven years and I still maintain a Find:DNF ration of 7:1.

Sometimes I DNF the simplest of caches and then come back a second time and wonder "How could I possibly miss that???"

If your not surprised anymore then I think it's time to go fishing. I get surprised all the time. Sometimes I'm surprised by a big mountain of trash that the cache is stuck in. Or how about the surprise of finding 2000 rocks to flip over before you find that film can. I DNF'd a cache twice, back to back days. On the third day I was SURPRISED to find the cache just laying in the weeds I couldn't believe it. Maybe I'm just easily surprised. :laughing:

The day you think you've reached the point that you can find anything.... you need to look for this one:

There are three of us with a combined total of over 5,000 finds working on looking for this.

I really want to plan a trip down there now and try it. I'm sure I'd fail terribly with my 124 finds. But maybe that would actually be my greatest strength?

I still get surprised when I find an LPC. Today I found one that was a nano hidden in a giant plastic cockroach. You should have seen me jump when it fell out as I lifted the skirt. :o

I can relate to that - bison in a big plastic and slightly hairy bug - reminiscent of those yucky June bugs. I shuddered when I found that on the back side of a tree, at my eye level and staring at me. The noise I made was met with "did ya find it?" not "are you OK!"

I really want to plan a trip down there now and try it. I'm sure I'd fail terribly with my 124 finds. But maybe that would actually be my greatest strength?

Sometimes it is the fresh view of someone with a low find number that spots the cache right off. Each find is a learning experience, regardless of how may finds one may have. Sure a more experienced cacher may have an idea of where to look first, but I've seen a couple of very experienced cachers go "down the primrose path" because the cache wasn't hid in the logical spot.

I think it's a percentage factor that you will never reach zero.

If you are in an empty field with just a chain-link fence...(Edited for spoiler content)...afterwards you reduced the surprise factor by about 5%. The next time you find yourself in the same situation, there's no surprise, just one more place to look.

A new twist is one reason while you'll never reach zero, but also the simple satisfaction of having your experience pay off, is also a surprise. And a pleasant one at that.

Yes, My DNF rate still hovers around 10% ... currently it is at 9.36, but I did a bunch of easy caches over the past couple months. Only DNFs were actually MIAs. Summer will send it back up.