Lone female geocachers - what do you do?

HB.

I often geocache with my boyfriend, and sometimes geocache on my own (usually London whe im at work) but there are more times recently where the boyfriend has been away playing paintball/airsoft where Ive gone geocaching on my own. Im not sure I feel entirely comfortable wandering around in woods/forests on my own (I have a fear of dogs too!) and wondered how other female lone geocachers feel? Are there any precautions you take? Places you refuse to go on your own, or are you happy to be on your own? or oblivious to any dangers?

HB.

Your question is phrased such that the respondent's reply is limited by your assumption that if you're okay alone in the woods, that means being "oblivious to any dangers" ;-)

I'm alone in the woods (central Florida, USA) quite a lot. I'm quite happy there.

The principal real danger particular to the woods is insect bite/sting - as far more people take serious harm from allergic responses to insects then all the stuff that people seem to worry about. Here there's danger from heat, and dehydration much of the looong summer. Both are manageable.

The number ONE thing people rather obnoxiously warn me about is "snakes". Yes, there are venomous snakes. The actual incident of snake bite very very low.

The next commonest "warning" is about insane stalkers, waiting in "the woods" (people watch too much television, really). Stalkers of women alone aren't generally in "the woods"; they're in places where women alone are actually found. In 30 years in Florida, there have been 2 murders in the woods by insane persons. This means the real danger of that occurring to me hardly worth considering.

You have a gps, carry extra batteries! waypoint your car, and now you're not going to get lost! Yes, you could turn an ankle and that would be unpleasant.

I have no particular dog fear, though I am cautious about being in the forest the weekend after the Hog/Dog hunt ends, as I've encountered large lost packs of hog dogs while walking.

Your dog fear I can't help you with, but I'd guess there are no more loose running dogs in the woods in your part of the world then there are in other areas. I could be wrong. One of the best ways to deal with a dog is to ignore it. No touch, no talk, no eye contact. Just walk on by.

You might think in real terms about what is there to be afraid of. Crime, unlikely, bear attack -> no :anibad: .

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Hi HB! I'm in the UK too.

What are you frightened of in the woods/forests (apart from dogs)?

I sometimes cache alone in woods/forests and am most frightened of hurting myself – falling over and hitting my head, tripping and breaking an ankle, getting a branch in the eyes etc. So I always tell someone where I’m going and when I’ll be back, take care, don’t attempt anything extreme and always have my phone with me.

Lone female caching in urban and suburban areas is great. I am invisible. Nobody looks twice (or even once) at me, a middle-aged woman dressed for shopping. :D

We are in the UK too - not that far from London either really. I (the junior member of Team Mum)have no qualms about wandering about on my own at any time of the day or night, whereas Boss Mum isn't happy to do it. I take obvious precautions - telling someone where I am going, when I'll be back etc, having my phone on me and wearing appropriate clothing ie walking boots.

Remember that statistically a woman is LESS likely to have problems from crime in the UK than a man, it is the media attention that any attack on a woman gets that heightens our fears. Look like you know where you are going, that you belong where you are and be vigilant about potential dangers. Failing that, find some other female cachers that don't want to go out alone and go together!

I live in Eastern NC, USA and go alone often. If you are worried about the dangers take some pepper spray with you but I am always more worried about getting hurt and not being able to hike out on my own. I carry pepper spray with me, a first aid kit, and a cell phone in a water proof case. I always let me roommate or parents know that I am going out, and the general area where I intend to explore so if I don't come home they know where to start.

The only time I worry about stalkers is when I am in an urban setting, and if I drive to an area and it looks run down, or I know its an area of high crime rate, I wait and come back with a friend another day.

I don't know about the UK cell phones, but a lot of them here in the US have tracking features that you can enable. I know that it is only good if the cell phone has reception/power, but it is nice for my hubby. (I just need to remember to enable it when I'm out!) The hardest thing for me isn't the being alone, it is turning around when a cache is a little too risky to do alone. That is really disappointing!

I think the more you get out, the more comfortable you get - Happy Caching!

I geocache alone all the time but I live in a fairly safe area (knock on wood). The crime rate isn't very high and we don't really have dangerous animals. When I'm alone, I just use common sense and don't put myself in situations where I may get injured (so no climbing waterfalls or cliffs). My biggest concern is other people. If I see a lone male on the trail under 60 years old (which isn't very often) I make eye contact and usually say hi (I live in an area where strangers say hi to each other when they pass on the street or trail). If he looks sketchy, I might pick up a rock just in case. I'm not exactly waif-like. I'm a firefighter so I probably look like I could put up a good fight. I've been lucky so far, but I remain vigilant.

I geocache alone all the time but I live in a fairly safe area (knock on wood). The crime rate isn't very high and we don't really have dangerous animals. When I'm alone, I just use common sense and don't put myself in situations where I may get injured (so no climbing waterfalls or cliffs). My biggest concern is other people. If I see a lone male on the trail under 60 years old (which isn't very often) I make eye contact and usually say hi (I live in an area where strangers say hi to each other when they pass on the street or trail). If he looks sketchy, I might pick up a rock just in case. I'm not exactly waif-like. I'm a firefighter so I probably look like I could put up a good fight. I've been lucky so far, but I remain vigilant.

And if he is over 60?

And if he is over 60?

Hit him with the rock!

I often geocache with my boyfriend, and sometimes geocache on my own (usually London whe im at work) but there are more times recently where the boyfriend has been away playing paintball/airsoft where Ive gone geocaching on my own. Im not sure I feel entirely comfortable wandering around in woods/forests on my own (I have a fear of dogs too!) and wondered how other female lone geocachers feel? Are there any precautions you take? Places you refuse to go on your own, or are you happy to be on your own? or oblivious to any dangers?

HB.

The best thing to do is always tell someone where your going and when your expecting to be home. Carry pepper spray also. I live in Los Angeles and I have a tiny can attached to my keys. It's in a little leather case and has dye in it.

And if he is over 60?

I would hope she runs up to us, gives a big hug and kiss. But probably she views us as only a danger to ourselves. sigh.

I used to cache alone frequently, and I've never had trouble. I stick to busier trails and parks close to the city, and I cache during daylight hours. If I'm alone and I really have a hankering for a cache at night, that's when I go for the easier P&Gs - that way, I'm not walking away from my car. I always tell someone where I'm going and when I'll be home, and I keep my cell phone close at hand.

Most importantly, I listen to my gut feeling - if something/someone seems strange/off, I get out of there. This might shock all of you, but in person I have no qualms about seeming rude or unfriendly if a stranger gives me the creeps. This can be a hard skill to learn, or rather, it's difficult to unlearn that sense of obligation that tells us to be friendly to strangers even when we don't want to.

Never underestimate the value of getting to know your fellow local cachers! Around here, it seems there's rarely a need for anyone to cache alone if he/she doesn't want to!

Something I will always remember from a self-defense course I took in England was "prevention." Don't mention to a friend in the bar/club/diner/bus station that you are going to X Park or wherever, and will be caching/walking/jogging alone. If a bad'un hears that, he may think you are easy pickings.

We were also taught that it important to be aware at all times - no daydreaming (guilty here) - and keep your ears and eyes open. The guys that taught the course also showed how listening to music through earphones/buds masked someone creeping up on you.

What narcissa said about listening to your gut feeling is very true.

I'm content to be on my own. I don't particularly worry about it. I'm vigilant but then anyone male or female should be somewhat vigilant while wandering around alone.

+1

I've hiked many miles on my own, and like another poster said, I'm more worried about a freak accident that incapacitates me than other dangers. My comfort level was probably helped by a few years of orienteering, which puts you in the middle of the woods, off-trail, on your own. While geocaching, I have encountered a bow hunter and a bear (different times and places), and survived both encounters. :P

I used to cache alone frequently, and I've never had trouble. I stick to busier trails and parks close to the city, and I cache during daylight hours. If I'm alone and I really have a hankering for a cache at night, that's when I go for the easier P&Gs - that way, I'm not walking away from my car. I always tell someone where I'm going and when I'll be home, and I keep my cell phone close at hand.

Most importantly, I listen to my gut feeling - if something/someone seems strange/off, I get out of there. This might shock all of you, but in person I have no qualms about seeming rude or unfriendly if a stranger gives me the creeps. This can be a hard skill to learn, or rather, it's difficult to unlearn that sense of obligation that tells us to be friendly to strangers even when we don't want to.

Never underestimate the value of getting to know your fellow local cachers! Around here, it seems there's rarely a need for anyone to cache alone if he/she doesn't want to!

bolded that part because its worth repeating. Listen to your gut feeling.

I typically cache with my dog, but I'm still pretty new being out there alone and it can feel a bit strange when you've never spent much time alone in the woods. And my dog is the type who loves everyone so the confidence in him actually being protection isn't much.

Being aware of your surroundings is probably the most helpful advice I could give you. Tell someone where you are going, so when you do fall down and break your ankle your friends know where to start looking, rather than you crawling for 3 miles. I tend to stick to the parks/trails that I know fairly well. So if for whatever reason I do need to leave the trail I have a general idea of which way to go for safety.

Take note of who is around when you leave your car and head down the trail....who can see you walk off into the woods alone? You might decide to wait a bit or pick a different trail head. Text somebody the name of the trail you are on, not just the park you are at. I also stop in at the park office and chat up the person there a bit too. They may provide some important information.

I carry pepper spray. I don't have ear phones jammed in my ears. I listen to nature and the rustling of leaves. The more you do it, the more comfortable you will feel.

I'm not worried about most animals in my area...but if there is something near you that seems harmful to you, learn about them...what their tracks look like, mating season, where they make their home, etc.

Don't look wild animals in the eyes....just back away slowly.

If you ask a pilot, or a skydiver, or a scuba diver, or an avid outdoorsperson, or a soldier (I am all those things) how they manage risk, it will probably come down to this... Objective assessment. I do fairly dangerous things from time to time, and I do them only when I feel I have an accurate picture of the true risk, and that all the cards are in my favor. I might fly at night in marginal waether in a well equipped plane over familiar terrain, and not even consider the exact same risk profile when I don't know the plane well, am tired, or there's inhospitable terrain below.

Same thing for wilderness caching. The width of a creek that I'll try jumping at night in good cell coverage is a whole lot wider than the one I'll jump when I don't have cell coverage. When I have my full pack--(and by virtue of that pack I have 3 sources of fire, survival supplies, water purification, 3 sources of light, extra batteries, and a minimum of two GPSrs) I will go anywhere, anytime. With one flashlight and one GPS and poor cell coverage, or a low cell battery-- I adjust the range accordingly.

Setting personal minimums for yourself is really important... And having the objectivity to assess how close to those minimums you are today, is equally important. The combination of many years as a special operations soldier, a jillion hours in wilderness, and a well prepared pack, mean my personal minimums are extremely high. But I never, ever fool myself... I get close to a personal minimum and I retreat instantly, without hesitation.

Stack the cards in your favor with equipment, preparation and knowledge. Be honest and objective about the risks and your readiness. Then go have fun, confident that you've prepared yourself well. For me, there is a relaxation, and thus enjoyment, of knowing I am well prepared for whatever lies over the next hill.

I usually don't have much trouble being out in the woods alone.

019.jpg

Ohhkkay...

This is probably my biggest pet peeve and I had to look on your profile.

It's stated that you work in security.

I assume you may have had some sort of firearms training.

Why is your finger on the trigger ?

Rule one in any basic firearms class is your finger is the first safety.

Terrible photo. Doesn't show anyone anything other than you know very little of firearms.

019.jpg

Ohhkkay...

Terrible photo. Doesn't show anyone anything other than you know very little of firearms.

It's a joke. Don't be a jerk.

My other 2/3rds does most of the urban and public C&Ds. She's normally aware of her surroundings and if she ever feels uncomfortable, skips 'em.

Sometimes she'll cache with another - that safety-in-numbers thing I guess.

There are areas that we know of with problem folk. Those she'll wait until I'm off, so she can drag me along - but it's gotta be a good reason (unique location) or again, we skip 'em.

I worry about her in an urban environment, but she's more worried about trip & fall hazards in the wild. Boulder hopping, creek crossings and "that's just a bit too close to the edge" are usually out when she's alone.

019.jpg

Ohhkkay...

No smileys or anything, so who's to know ? Still a stupid, terrible pic.

019.jpg

Ohhkkay...

It's a joke that could get someone killed. Don't joke with guns.

019.jpg

Ohhkkay...

I immediately assumed it was a joke and thought it was very funny.

And no, i do not have a gun myself, never even touched one.

Edited by ncfinn

I am a solo female cacher, have been caching since 2002. I have never encountered anything scary or dangerous. I do not believe that the common criminal is going to walk as far off the beaten path as i do. I do not worry about people. On the other hand, i don't cache in the middle of a slum in the middle of the night. I do worry a bit about poisonous snakes or bears, or falling out of a tree and braking a leg. I am not currently working so it would take several days before anybody missed me. I should, but i usually do not tell anybody about my caching plans, so nobody would even know where to start looking for me. At least i now have a cell phone that works most of the time. I do carry emergency supplies so i could spend the night in the woods if something happened.

019.jpg

Ohhkkay...

Actually, if you are alone in the woods, having a gun is a good idea as long as you have the right training and observe the safety rules.

I think caching by yourself as a female is perfectly fine so long as you take basic precautions one should take just because it's wise when being solo in general (for example one should never walk down strange dark alleys at 2am regardless of gender, right?).

But then I've traveled solo on six continents before the age of 25 so my definitions of what is acceptable to do as a solo female includes things most people wouldn't agree with me on. But, like geocaching, where's the fun in staying home cause no one else could come? B)

I think caching by yourself as a female is perfectly fine so long as you take basic precautions one should take just because it's wise when being solo in general (for example one should never walk down strange dark alleys at 2am regardless of gender, right?).

But then I've traveled solo on six continents before the age of 25 so my definitions of what is acceptable to do as a solo female includes things most people wouldn't agree with me on. But, like geocaching, where's the fun in staying home cause no one else could come? B)

The best thing is to know your environment. Know where the trouble spots might be and be very cautious or avoid them.

I carry bear spray (pepper spray capable of stopping a grizzly) and keep it at the ready. If any living thing gets too close to my comfort zone they are going to get a snootful. I will avoid people when I am alone on trails so I don't have to worry about dealing with them. I've stopped a hunt a couple of times because I saw someone( a muggle) hanging about the area and I didn't feel comfortable with them there. Better safe than sorry. One time when I was in the park there was a guy acting wierd. He pulled up beside the area where I was placing a cache and just sat there in his car. I started "talking" on my GPS- that's where you pretend the GPS is a cellphone. I figured if he thought I was communicating with someone else he would be less likely to want anything to do with me. I also was planning an escape route up and over the hill away from him if he decided to get out of the car. He eventually drove off but he was creepy. He drove down the road and stopped where some kids were playing tennis and leered at them.

Edited by Luckless

And if he is over 60?

Hit him with the rock!

As a lone male cacher in his mid-40's, my biggest fear is getting konked on the head with a rock by lone female cachers.

Seriously, your concerns are just as valid for a lone male cachers. The crack heads living behind the bus station probably care more about your wallet your gender. Neither does the moss covered rock that can cause a male or a female to slip and sprain an ankle.

019.jpg

Ohhkkay...

Actually, if you are alone in the woods, having a gun is a good idea as long as you have the right training and observe the safety rules.

I took it as a joke but I also picked up (immediately) on the "finger on the trigger" thing. I'm the kind of guy who will watch you unload the weapon and then, as soon as you hand it to me, check it myself to make sure it's unloaded even though I just watched you unload it in front of me.

I actually wondered how long it would be before someone in the thread mentioned carrying a firearm while alone in the woods. It's a common enough practice and perfectly safe as long as you know what you're doing.

It's my guess that it may be somewhat more difficult to obtain a weapon and a permit in the UK than in the US. It may be that this isn't even a possible option for the OP.

I geocahce by myself quite often and I'm quite ok with being by myself in the woods. I have gotten hurt in the woods and took a nasty spill. I had to walk out since I was in an area where cell phone service was spotty at best. I always leave a message with my husband and also a note at home to where I went and when I'd plan to be back. I carry a cell phone and peper spray plus a pack with some first aid suupplies,water and what not. I have no dog phobia since I sometimes hike with the pooch. I've been an outdoor in the woods person since I was little so that why I'm comfortable I guess with it. Plus my family enjoyed the woods and liked outdoor activities such as camping,fishing and things such as that.

It's my guess that it may be somewhat more difficult to obtain a weapon and a permit in the UK than in the US. It may be that this isn't even a possible option for the OP.

I love your response timestamp, because it just sums up wonderfully the cultural differences between the US and the UK. We're so close but yet so far as nations sometimes :D

Over here in the UK we couldn't even consider purchasing a firearm as 'protection' as the law here just doesn't allow for that. Handguns are illegal and shotguns are only used for hunting - not the sort of thing we'd ever carry around in case of trouble while geocaching!

I cache alone sometimes and it's never bothered me - like others have said you just take care and rely on your gut instinct to tell you when something isn't safe. I would be more concerned of injury when out and about than I would bumping into a nutter in the woods. Tell someone where you going, when you'll be back, carry a phone and use your common sense.

The only animals I really about in the woods are moose and handgun isn't going to be of much worth to me with them. And if I had to use it against a person I know I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger so it's safer for me to not carry a gun on me since I would simply be arming a perp. If I question it I walk away. And I'm aware of where I'm going ahead of time and sometimes I know if it's got potential to be bad. We have a lot of land that people assume is public but isn't. If I think the land is owned and the cache page does not indicate permission I won't do the cache for example. There's a lot of pot grow ops and meth labs out in the sticks. If I suspect something like that I turn back around and leave.

I mean really it's just about some basic common sense and not getting so into just one thing that you can't see what's going on around you. When not geocaching and just hiking around taking pictures I've been followed before. Same with in a city. I made healthy choices in response.

As far as getting hurt. I always let someone know exactly where I'm going. I also let them know my anticipated time home. Sometimes if I'm running late and have cell reception I'll call or text and let folks know. I carry my phone on me, granted I don't always have reception but just in case I have it there. I don't try to push my limits if I'm alone to lessen the risk of issues.

But that's stuff men and women need to think about. What are they able to do. What do they feel comfortable doing and so forth.

And if he is over 60?

Hit him with the rock!

As a lone male cacher in his mid-40's, my biggest fear is getting konked on the head with a rock by lone female cachers.

Seriously, your concerns are just as valid for a lone male cachers. The crack heads living behind the bus station probably care more about your wallet your gender. Neither does the moss covered rock that can cause a male or a female to slip and sprain an ankle.

+1

There are concerns for lone cachers both male and female. I follow a couple guidelines 'round my neck of the woods in PA:

1. No high terrain, risky business while alone

2. Notify friends and family where you are going, where you're at

3. Carry a form of defense against wildlife - mace is good.

4. Carry a small first aid kit. This is a bigger concern if you have specific allergies - epi pen.

5. Know your urban areas. Don't wander off somewhere unfamiliar with a high crime rate.

I'm much more concerned about getting hurt from klutziness and/or insects, wildlife than I am about getting mugged. However, upon several occasions while caching in a small group of friends, we have been hassled by stragglers, homeless guys, etc.

I've recently become interested in handguns, more for target shooting...but have considered applying for necessary permits to own one. I don't believe they're a prerequisite for being alone in the woods, but if you're comfortable with the weapon and are clear about carrying laws, firearm safety, etc. it may not be a bad option. Just be VERY knowledgeable on your individual state's carry laws.

Army Rangers use what's called a "5 point contingency plan" any time they split apart from each other. A few of them aren't germane to caching, but still, the lesson can still be applied. Pilots often file flight plans (sometimes in visual conditions, and always in instrument conditions). These same principles could be applied anytime you're going to be in wilderness deep enough that you'll be out of communication:

1. Where am I going
  2. When should I be back
  3. What should you do if I am not back by then
  4. What will I do if I am not back by then

We are kindred spirits :) I, too, am a female who usually caches alone and have a fear of dogs. I still get a little nervous while out in the woods, but am finding that once I am actually there I become a little more relaxed. Sometimes the anticipation of being out there makes me more nervous than when I'm actually there.

I carry pepper spray with me for the dogs. I've never had an issue, but I feel better knowing I have it. I don't think it would be helpful against a two legged predator. While I am out caching, whether in the woods or on a city street, I am always very aware of my surroundings. I have never ventured into a poor neighborhood or park area by myself. I just don't want to take the risk and it wouldn't be any fun trying to cache and look over my shoulder at the same time. I am fortunate that my husband will occasionally cache with me, and I save him for those areas I'm not as comfortable with. I have found that parkland and woodland areas seem pretty safe. Just always be aware and trust your gut.

We are kindred spirits :) I, too, am a female who usually caches alone and have a fear of dogs. I still get a little nervous while out in the woods, but am finding that once I am actually there I become a little more relaxed. Sometimes the anticipation of being out there makes me more nervous than when I'm actually there.

I carry pepper spray with me for the dogs. I've never had an issue, but I feel better knowing I have it. I don't think it would be helpful against a two legged predator. While I am out caching, whether in the woods or on a city street, I am always very aware of my surroundings. I have never ventured into a poor neighborhood or park area by myself. I just don't want to take the risk and it wouldn't be any fun trying to cache and look over my shoulder at the same time. I am fortunate that my husband will occasionally cache with me, and I save him for those areas I'm not as comfortable with. I have found that parkland and woodland areas seem pretty safe. Just always be aware and trust your gut.

Thankfully I've never run across a dog problem in the woods. I agree with the person who said, if you're nervous about a dog use the Cesar Milan approach - no touch, no talk, no eye contact. Never had a loose dog in the woods try to bite me. I have less concern about off leash dogs then I do about restrained dogs. I've been bitten by tied-up dogs, growled at by dogs in their homes, know people whose dogs bit someone while the dog was with them on-leash. It's that fight-or-flight thing - they are more likely to fight/bite when restrained.

Edited by Lone R

Army Rangers use what's called a "5 point contingency plan" any time they split apart from each other. A few of them aren't germane to caching, but still, the lesson can still be applied. Pilots often file flight plans (sometimes in visual conditions, and always in instrument conditions). These same principles could be applied anytime you're going to be in wilderness deep enough that you'll be out of communication:

1. Where am I going
  2. When should I be back
  3. What should you do if I am not back by then
  4. What will I do if I am not back by then

That's only four points, lol!

I carry pepper spray too. Hope I never have to use it. It gets windy around here a lot (NW Indiana isn't that far from the Windy City) and my luck, I'd probably get a backspray and get myself too!

That's only four points, lol!

LOL... the actual 5 points really only apply to combat...

Each time the leader moves away from his unit without radio communications, he must issue a five-point contingency plan. The contingency plan includes--

•  
  • Where the leader is going.
  • Who he is taking with him
  • The amount of time he plans to be gone.
  • The actions to be taken if the leader does not return.
  • The unit’s and the leader’s actions on chance contact while the leader is gone

I carry the kimber chemical weapons, they're highly recommended by pros, and they're not a spray but an oil that can't blow back. They sell professional law enforcement grade gear that I have used in the past, and I carry the personal version often. Very affective against people and critters.

Also, an ASP style collapsible baton is highly effective against dogs and other creatures. I would be careful about using them for defense against people--any weapon system that requires you to be within arms length of the assailant in order to use (knives, batons, etc.) are extremely risky without training for several reasons.

I often cache alone, most often cache with my Geo-Beast (who is a very protective Staffordshire Bull-Terrier crossed with an Australian Red Cattle Dog) and have no qualms about doing so. I am extremely comfortable in the wilderness and I know what my capabilities are to either defend myself or fix myself up if there is an accident! I have that line in the sand when it comes to taking a risk and won't step over that; the line in the sand is drawn by my skills, experience and confidence on the day. There is far greater danger from human factors in an urban setting than there is in the bush of course. If you are in true wilderness, carry the essentials for life, such as water, knowledge how to seek shelter, communications and something to fix up any injuries. I in fact love caching by myself, as I get to spend as much time as I like hunting around for a cache and I can find as many as I like, without anyone else whining!

I don't cache at night and I stay out of back alleys and any area that looks like it might be dangerous. I will go into parks, but if I've read on the cache page that homeless people or any police or drug activity in the area, I won't go. I carry a cell phone and extra batteries for the gps in case I get lost! I am thinking I should probably get some pepper spray, too.