What makes geocoins popular?

GregsonVaux

This idea started in another thread that was shut down, but I like the topic enough to start a new thread.

When I started designing coins, I asked myself, what makes a coin popular? I quickly realized that dog and cat coins were usually good sellers, and I may make one someday, but for now, there are other coin topics that are more important to me. How people respond to a coin is important to me, but even more important is that it has to be something I need to say. I have a lot of ideas inside my head that have been waiting years to get out. I think back to a quote that I heard from a mayor in Italy. He said, "if the people were to choose our public art, every street corner would have a statue of either a dog or a small child". I don't think he had anything against either of those topics, but sometimes less popular topics need to be addressed. So, I don't pick coin topics for their popularity, but I still want to make something as likable as possible.

It is an interesting question, what makes a coin desirable? I could write a long time about that. Let's start a list of what kinds of coins have sold well. Here are my initial thoughts and I hope people will add to them.

Cute animals

Complex designs

High quality art

multiple layers under transparent enamel

Sexy women (think good karma/bad karma)

Buzz (everyone is talking about it due to some sort of advertising)

Bandwagon (Ten of my friends said they are going to buy it, so I need to buy it too)

Celtic Knotwork (someone else mentioned this, but I have definitely noticed it too)

Feel free to add to this list

I'm a newbie...but I will add my 2 cents! I think coins that celebrate an occasion or an event. For example, I would love a Happy Birthday or Mother's Day coin. Also, GeoAnniversary coins! I would look to buy something along those lines that had great colors/design. I've only purchased one coin (ok 3 coins, but all the same coin!), so I'm sure others that have been around for awhile will chime in.

I love the complex designs like the compass rose coins, and I think the Celtic knot work falls into this category. I also love Halloween coins so anything related is a must for me. My favorite color is purple so if I like the design and it comes in purple I will think hard about it and if it's BN finish it's a must!

My son likes coins that have things that he is into...Indiana Jones (he has several of these) Boy/Cub Scouts, Star Wars (tried to get the Warrior coin for him on e-place but at $70 a little steep for me!!!), and Super Mario. He is wanting something to do with Legos, his other favorite thing, but so far I haven't seen anything like that.

My precious shiny-s!!!! ALL MINE!!! How do I love thee, let me count the ways... :laughing:

SOME things that come to mind...

-Gems/Glitter

-Colors!

-Different Textures you can feel....I call them "feely" coins haha!

-Meaningful Quotes

-Part of a Series

-Nature Related

-Rareness (How many minted, promise to not re-mint)

-Moving/Spinning parts

-Relates to real life things (media) (Dunno how else to word that, but what I mean and coins that come to mind: "Pink Floyd Another Cache in the Wall" "Say Hello to Alice")

-Also sometimes WHO made/designed the coin. I know some who want to collect every coin by a certain designer no matter what the coin looks like.

-Detail on BOTH sides of the coin

Aaahhhh Geocoins :wub:

I first started collecting Military Challenge coins during my tour of duty. When we started collecting geocoins in early 2005 the coins were pretty simple and were usually a personal coin of the cacher who had it minted or made it themselves. It was considered gauche to ask money for your coin. You put them in caches or traded them. The coin had meaning because of the cacher attached to it. The money changed everything. Not necessarily bad, it's just different than it was, but so is everything.

Coins seemed to go through a cartoon phase with lots of cutsie coins. Some people got really creative and artistic. I love coins like the Laptop and Worker of Wood, those were clever. And then some got carried away. We have Popes and Politicians, Charities and Causes, Animals and Plants, Municipalities and Maladies, Holidays and Hokum...you name it, it's been done and sometimes shouldn't have. Everyone has a different idea of what is a cool coin. Seems like JoeFrog is on everyone's list but PC Frog is a better looking coin, IMHO, and no one wants it. Go figure. Nice designs like the Crake's are always popular. I like Geocaching Future, an old coin with a minimalist approach. I suspect it would not get very many bids on eBay. In the end, everyone wants what everyone else wants. Just like Beanie Babies. They had little value but people paid big money because they were hot, for a little while.

As I have been digging through my collection and posting them all for sale, I have become reaquainted with these old friends who are now slowly going away. I tend to like the ones I associate with a person, even if it is a doggie coin. If it is a cacher that I know or have heard of and it is his/her dog on the coin, it makes me smile. Yesterday I packaged up the Motogrrl coin with the Motogrrl Memorial coin. Didn't know her personally but it made me think. I like them for lots of reasons. If the design is well done it makes it even better. If it blinks,levitates, or has a touch screen it is going to stay a keeper. But most all of them are going away as my life moves in a different, simpler direction. I will keep the military coins and a few, very few of the oldies. What does not sell will be set free.

Cheers,

mr.bug (the finder half of 2bugs)

When I began collecting geocoins, I would have to say that I was very naïve. Like most collectors, I would either like or dislike a geocoin based solely on the outward design or hefty feel. But now, after all these licks and long years, I look back and laugh at my lame brained low-brow know-how...

It wasn’t until a couple summers ago, and after a light breakfast, when I had a revelation that would transform my taste in geocoins for all time. You see, it’s not until you truly get to the core of collecting and become bold enough to take a bigger bite...that you finally find the full fancy of those fantastic inner fillings!

It was on that sunny morning, when I started to sample the sharp subtleties of a cool and creamy cherry translucent. After a couple more cheerful chews, I was blown away by the robust brilliance of a buttery bronze. My tonsils tingled when I tasted the terrific texture of a taupe enamel truffle. Still to this day, the sugary sweetness of a silver sparkle sends a shiver up my spine, and a spicy cinnamon copper crunch can cause my cheeks to quiver!

So there you have it...no matter your preference in shape, size or design, you should most assuredly consider a serious snacking on the savory center. Gnaw down to the numismatic nougat, and enjoy the gastronomical genius of those genuinely digestible geocoins! :D

So there you have it...no matter your preference in shape, size or design, you should most assuredly consider a serious snacking on the savory center. Gnaw down to the numismatic nougat, and enjoy the gastronomical genius of those genuinely digestible geocoins! :D

Hopefully in the near future, I will have some new flavors for you to chew on. I am trying to get some coins made with fillings and frostings that have never been seen before. Nothing too exotic, however, my goal is durability, longevity, beauty, and metallurgical exploration.

Turtles sell well. :laughing:

Seriously though, while there are some people who collect for content, I think most people are drawn to a well-designed coin. At least, I know that's my preference! Multiple layers below translucent enamel, interesting line work, well balanced design, and as someone else said, don't forget the back! I will generally not buy a coin that has a flat back with just a few things engraved into it.

Oh, and moving parts tend to draw me in, but some of them have gotten a bit too gimicky.

When I design, I just design what I'd like to buy and hope that other people will enjoy them, too. Designing to a market can be difficult as things trend in and out, get overdone and become less desirable (see: celtic coins).

With that said, I find this thread really interesting, and I'm glad the OP posted it. :)

what a great topic gregsonvaux!

i associate the coins with people and the stories behind the collecting. it is the personal connection to people here that i find the most desirable.

to be sure, some are wonderful to collect because they are stunningly beautiful, mini-works of art. like my favorite coins - oh come on - wait for it - tranquility. so sending those old friends away is particularly difficult.

and after lusting for years for some of the simple, old coins, to have to turn around and sell them so soon after acquiring them, well that's simply awful. those coins are like connecting to geocaching's roots. when coins were created to leave in caches or to trade with others.

i know when all my coins are gone or at least most of them and i say good-bye to the forum, then that will be the hardest part of all. because of the stories of all the people here, who they are, what their kids and dogs names are, what they like to collect. like turtles, or tsun's wonderful designs. but the forum can be a dangerous place. new coins begging to be collected, old ones put on the market that beg to be collected, dangerous things when one is trying to live simpler, and cheaper!

but change has to happen, whether it is striving for a more simple life, or trying to pay off a new car because the old one finally gave up the ghost. i don't think any of us that have to or want to sell a collection have an easy time of it. as each one of my coins was priced out today, i remembered how each and every one came into my life — and the person that traded with me, or sold to me or gifted me.

the stories in my memories will not last as long as the coins in the overall scheme of things, but in my reality, they are all that matter. they are desired the most.

Edited by RedShoesGirl

When I first started collecting geocoins I would buy whatever caught my eye. I like the really complicated designs like Scavok's or Motocycleboi's. I'm also a sucker for translucents.

But very early on I decided I had better find a theme to collect around and stick with it or I would quickly be broke! I do still trade for (or buy) the occasional cool coin that catches my eye, but for the most part all my coins are for my Dutch collection.

The drawback is that sometimes I buy what I consider to be a really ugly coin just for the sake of having a complete collection. The other drawback is that Team van Stoffelen knows he has guaranteed sales and so produces dozens of different versions (just kidding Rian :D ). Lastly, by starting late in the game, I have to live with the fact that I may never get some of those early coins.

Does anyone else collect around a theme?

I try to keep to a theme but they keep making other coins that I like as well. My collection tends to center around three main aspects:

•  
  • Science or/science fiction (Crop Circle, Klingon Cloaking Device, Area 51 UFO, Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy geocoins, Spacegate just to name a few)
  • Fantasy/Mythology Related geocoins (Good Karma/Bad Karma, Tengwar, Lotus Compass, Troy geocoin, hopefully the new Dwarven Treasures geocoin, etc.)
  • Geocoins using glow enamels (I'm a sucker for coins that glow in the dark)

I really have only been seriously collecting for the last year and a half. I originally got into the geocoin craze because my wife was complaining about the amount of space that my book collection is taking up. Even with 90% of my science fiction/fantasy in storage, the other 10% (mainly signed hardcovers) take up one whole wall of my bedroom. Geocoins was something that I could collect 100s of and still have them contained in a manageable space. Also the durability of the coins will probably outstrip my other collection's survivability by hundreds of years making it quite a bit of a heirloom for the kids (and the kid's kids, kid's kid's kids, etc.) I enjoy looking and trading for coins that help complete my collection but, like E&Cplus3 said as well, I am resigned in knowing that some of the earlier coins are beyond my reach. I will still try to get that Federation Gold coin tho.... :)

I originally got into the geocoin craze because my wife was complaining about the amount of space that my book collection is taking up. Even with 90% of my science fiction/fantasy in storage, the other 10% (mainly signed hardcovers) take up one whole wall of my bedroom.

I am fortunate that my wife is as much into books as I am, so we turned the largest room in our house (the great room) into a library. We installed floor to ceiling bookcases on all four walls, but even with that much space, we have begun to install bookcases in the guest room. We also have bookcases full of books in three of the four regular bedrooms. My geocoin collection, on the other hand, only takes up two rather small chests.

I am fortunate that my wife is as much into books as I am, so we turned the largest room in our house (the great room) into a library. We installed floor to ceiling bookcases on all four walls, but even with that much space, we have begun to install bookcases in the guest room. We also have bookcases full of books in three of the four regular bedrooms. ........

:laughing: I have that 'problem' too.

But that is not the reason why I started collecting geocoins.

I started collecting after my better half Coen, also known as Reintje de Vos, died in 2006.

A geocoin, the Reintje de Vos Memorial, was made by his friends.

I started a collection (joined by family members) with the criteria that the coins have to tell us something about Reintje de Vos, our relationship with him, the things he loved in life or geocaching.

That is still the main goal of collecting, although a lot off other coins were added, for example presents.

So, to me it is not a particular design I like, although I have my favorites, but the personal memories a geocoin can represent.

But very early on I decided I had better find a theme to collect around and stick with it or I would quickly be broke! I do still trade for (or buy) the occasional cool coin that catches my eye, but for the most part all my coins are for my Dutch collection.

Ah - that's why I'm feeling broke! No theme!!! :lol:

Good advice!

Its a good question. As I have just started to design a coin as well and I want it to be a series. But its really based on how the first one goes.

I haven't really purchased one yet for collection only. but so far i have purchased coins based on a mission I want to send it on.

I don't get over here that much these days but this subject matter caught my eye and I'd like to put my 2 cents in please :D

I have no idea what the heck Yime is talking about, I never get that guy :P He's been inhaling too many of his uranium yimes.

Can anyone truly answer this question? We all buy coins for certain reasons.

People buy coins based on the fact that a popular geocoin artist made them anticipating they'll be worth more down the road or make good traders. Some buy based soley on themes (Star Trek, Dutch, geocaching related,shaped, etc.). Others buy because they are obesessed and mesmerized by shiny, translucent objects. The list is pretty varied.

I've seen coins that I thought would sell like wildfire only do so-so amongst buyers and others I thought sucked do really well. It's always interesting to see how the coin market fluctuates when designs come out.

I've been asked over the years by people designing coins how to get more sales/customers, why is my stuff is so popular compared to others, what can I design that people will want and I sometimes stare at the computer screen wondering what to say to people but I always come back to the same thing I've said from the beginning. I've said it in the forums many times and in emails to others.

If you're asking from a designer's perspective (meaning if you're trying to reach the maximum amount of people and create really popular coins to sell type of stuff), I don't think you're asking yourself the right question if this is the case. I'm sure you're asking for several reasons but I believe the underlying intention of this thread is to find out why people buy what they buy.

Here's what I believe should be your question to yourself; "what can I design that truly comes from my heart, speaks to who I am inside, and will touch people in some way?" If you can do that, you will have plenty of people who want to add your coin to their collection and slowly it will take on a life of its own. Don't worry about designing a turtle because they are popular or putting a compass rose on something because it's geocaching related, design from the heart and take your time.

You engage with the public here and that's also a great way to get people's attention. I found just being myself and being vocal early on by standing up for what I believed in regarding coins/caching issues garnered alot of respect. Granted I was pretty vocal the first few years which did turn a few people off but you can't make everyone happy. It took me a long time to work through that issue here.

Be unique, design what speaks to you and it will speak to others. There is no magic formula. Listen to your customers they will be honest with you. Be patient, popularity here takes time and you have to earn the respect and trust. Being popular comes with it's own set of frustrations, enjoy every aspect of the the journey.

Don't let what you see here on the forums fool you as to what's really popular and what's not, it can be very deceptive. Just because a thread has 2000 views and 40 replies on it doesn't make the coin popular or mean a ton have been sold. It only means the thread has been viewed 2000 times and there are 40 replies ;) The majority of people who buy coins never post a word on the forums.

One of the benefits of designing from the heart is when you get the special letter from your customers who take the time to tell you what your coin design means to them. I've actually received some very touching letters that brought me to tears. It's in those moments that I knew I was successful not in the fact that I sold 1000 coins but that someone got special meaning from my designs. That in my book is what makes a coin popular.

Of course this is my perspective and some people will totally understand what I'm saying here and others will not understand it or even care for that matter but really take a look around at the designers, what they design and all the little things and you will see the difference between why a coin is popular and why it is not.

Ok, I have stuff to do so I guess I'm done here :)

Thanks for letting me do a little typing and engaging again.

tsun

It is an interesting question, what makes a coin desirable? I could write a long time about that. Let's start a list of what kinds of coins have sold well. Here are my initial thoughts and I hope people will add to them.

Cute animals

Complex designs

High quality art

multiple layers under transparent enamel

Sexy women (think good karma/bad karma)

Buzz (everyone is talking about it due to some sort of advertising)

Bandwagon (Ten of my friends said they are going to buy it, so I need to buy it too)

Celtic Knotwork (someone else mentioned this, but I have definitely noticed it too)

Feel free to add to this list

i guess i really didn't answer this very well, what yemon yime said works for me. :laughing: