Allowing Smileys for each Stage of a Multi cache?

macee416

Newbie here, and experienced advice appreciated.....

I have planned a multi cache with 8 stages/caches. This is a puzzle quest where only the 1st coords will be posted.

Seekers must visit each stage and solve a puzzle to be able to gain coords for the next stage until you reach the final cache.

My question is, "Can I allow credit for each cache (stage) found when it is a multi cache?"

Each stage are miles apart so I feel that credit should be given when each step is found and puzzle solved.

But there is no option on the "Report a new Cache" page to allow for more than one smiley (even with a multi cache).

If I list them all as Traditional caches, then I will have to post the coords for each cache, thus spoiling the purpose of the game (solving puzzles to get next coords).

Seeking advice from the experienced.

macee416 from TN

To give you fact, instead of opinion, yes you can allow more than one smiley per cache. There's no guideline that says anything about "one listing, one smiley" (unless it's a very new guideline that I'm not aware of).

In order to get more than one find the cacher will just have to log a Found It multiple times. As you can already see there are people that don't like it when others play the game differently than they do, so yes you'll get some people that won't accept your cache and will probably say negative things about you.

An option that the "puritans" will agree with is to list each cache as a puzzle cache, each requiring a bogus set of coordinates within 2 miles of the actual coordinates, and the description on each page can explain that the clues to solve the puzzle is located at the actual location of XXXX cache.

Either way works.

Solving puzzles at each of 8 stages of a multi wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Make it a series of 9 stand-alone puzzle caches instead of a long, "involved" multi.

That way, the finders would receive 9 smilies instead of just one. I know I wouldn't be happy to do all that work to get just 1 smiley, and I'm not one to quibble over stuff like that.

While The horse dude is technically correct.

Us putitains will still laugh behind your back and tell you that it should be 8 separate listing pages if you want them to get credit at each stage.

I am a strong believer in one gc number equals one and only one "found" log. Even though the system technically does allow multiple.

You can certainly tell people on the cache page that they can log a find per stage. In areas where this is common, some will. In areas where it's rare, most won't.

I'd recommend finding a forum that's more local to you, or looking at a bunch of multi-cache pages in your part of the world. If you see multi-logging, then go for it. If not, you can still try it, but don't expect many people to do it.

The Red Gate in Illinois has this language, "Feel free to log each stage as a separate find. C)B-)". Some finders do, and some don't.

To give you fact, instead of opinion, yes you can allow more than one smiley per cache. There's no guideline that says anything about "one listing, one smiley" (unless it's a very new guideline that I'm not aware of).

In order to get more than one find the cacher will just have to log a Found It multiple times. As you can already see there are people that don't like it when others play the game differently than they do, so yes you'll get some people that won't accept your cache and will probably say negative things about you.

An option that the "puritans" will agree with is to list each cache as a puzzle cache, each requiring a bogus set of coordinates within 2 miles of the actual coordinates, and the description on each page can explain that the clues to solve the puzzle is located at the actual location of XXXX cache.

Either way works.

I will, as suggested, list them as puzzle caches; caches 2-8 with a bogus set of coordinates. Thank you for your suggestions.

Us putitains will still laugh behind your back

SERIOUSLY?!? I certainly do nOt care if people laugh behind my back (if they are so immature to do so); however, as I am so very NEW to the game, I would have hoped that those "Puritains" (as you call them) who are the more experienced among us would rather offer advice and assistance instead of expressing themselves so childlessly. I came to the forum to ask before making mistakes. My sincerest apologies for stepping on the toes of Puritains.

SERIOUSLY?!? I certainly do nOt care if people laugh behind my back (if they are so immature to do so); however, as I am so very NEW to the game, I would have hoped that those "Puritains" (as you call them) who are the more experienced among us would rather offer advice and assistance instead of expressing themselves so childlessly. I came to the forum to ask before making mistakes. My sincerest apologies for stepping on the toes of Puritains.

Greetings! Your question would have been better placed in the "getting started" forum. In that forum, snarkiness, smart remarks, attitude and the like are not permitted. I believe there is a code or international treaty that prohibits that behavior. That is the place to pose a question if honestly want help. It this forum, however, its a different story. Don't take offense. You asked a legitimate question but put it in the wrong place <gasp>.

As for your question, I would set it up as a traditional with seven mystery bonus caches if you wanted to allow multiple smilies. We don't do the multiple smiles per GC# here. Your area may be different. Good luck.

StarBrand was not saying you will be laughed at by asking the question, rather those who abide a more strict (for lack of a better word) interpretation of the guidelines (referred to as Puritains in this forum) will laugh at those who log each section as a find rather than log one find for the entire cache. Expressed often as 1 GC number (cache) = 1 smiley regardless of how many stages for a multicache or temporary caches found at an event.

Since you are new and haven't hidden any caches yet, you might consider hiding a few traditional caches to get the hang of cache ownership before attempting something more complex. While I applaud your enthusiasm to create a unique cache it seems to be pretty common for new cachers to try and create a really complex cache for their first hide, and often the results turn out to be a train wreck.

On of the things to consider when creating a series of caches with a puzzle for each with a portion of the coordinates revealed after solving and finding each stage is that if any of them go missing or you have any other problems with a stage, those attempting to complete the series won't be able to do so. Unless this is a remarkable set of caches you can expect to have very few that will complete the series and almost nobody from outside you local geocaching community.

of course there is, the guideline is very clearly indicating that you can only log one smilie per cache, no matter how many stages it has there is only one stage, the final, that contains a log

4.1. Logging of All Physical Geocaches

Physical geocaches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=309

but technically you can do whatever you want, personally i don;t see the point in logging the same cache as found 8 times, its only an artificial way of inflating the number of finds

Edited by t4e

I hid a 3 part multi not to long ago. I didn't want it to be one cache either. So I just made the first two parts a traditional cache and didn't even say anything in the description about it being apart of a multicache. I just wrote 1 part of the cord. for the final cache on the back of each log. Then when I made up the final part I designated it as a multi and put the coords on it for the parking spot. Then on that cache page I wrote that you had to find the other two caches first to get the exact coords. I just wrote a note to the publisher as to what I wanted to do and why and as long as I put the hidden final coords. on the page for the publisher to see they published it for me. so now it counts as two smileys for the traditional and one for the multi.

StarBrand was not saying you will be laughed at by asking the question, rather those who abide a more strict (for lack of a better word) interpretation of the guidelines (referred to as Puritains in this forum) will laugh at those who log each section as a find rather than log one find for the entire cache. Expressed often as 1 GC number (cache) = 1 smiley regardless of how many stages for a multicache or temporary caches found at an event.

Yes that is what I intended. Mostly I intended the snarkiness for Mushtang and his anything goes attitude. No offense was intended toward the original request.

I've been to 1 cache that allowed that. It is GCGE6B if you want to check out the page. Really fun cache. And, YES I did log it 4 times. However, I would have preferred that it was listed as 4 separate caches, as each stage had a different D/T rating. It also had a LOG in each of the stages to be signed.

of course there is, the guideline is very clearly indicating that you can only log one smilie per cache, no matter how many stages it has there is only one stage, the final, that contains a log

Physical geocaches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=309

but technically you can do whatever you want, personally i don;t see the point in logging the same cache as found 8 times, its only an artificial way of inflating the number of finds

You know I stayed out of this till now. The OP asked a reasonable question. Even the puritan responses were reasonable responses. There is clearly a part of the community who holds to the one find per cache principle, and the OP should know this in deciding how to proceed. But what gets me is when the puritans continue to march out this section of the guidelines that everyone else knows applies to ALRs. When Groundspeak decided they didn't want cache owners deleting found logs because some cache owner wanted them to log online in haiku or post a picture of themselves in a funny hat, they added the quoted section to the guidelines. It simple says that once the physical log is signed, cache owners can't go about deleting online logs solely because of an addition requirement. Nowhere does it say that cache owners can't accept online logs where the physical log is not signed or can't allow multiple online found logs. I think most of the puritans know this now, but I will continue to correct this misconception whenever I see it posted.

http://support.Groun...=kb.page&id=309

The guideline you quoted says absolutely nothing about the number of times you can log it. It just indicates when you can log it, and that being after you sign the physical log.

Yes that is what I intended. Mostly I intended the snarkiness for Mushtang and his anything goes attitude. No offense was intended toward the original request.

More specifically my attitude is anything goes as long as it's within the guidelines and doesn't keep someone else from enjoying the game.

As it applies to this thread, my attitude is not caring if someone else makes multiple finds on a cache. The guidelines don't specify only 1 find per cache and it won't hurt my game if someone does it.

It doesn't mean I'd do it. In the past I've logged caches more than once, but I decided to stop doing that (because of things I'd read in these forums). But that doesn't mean I care if someone else does it. Why would it bother me?

I vote for one cache listing and one smiley. Those who choose to make the effort to do the entire series will appreciate it more. My found it log from a fairly lengthy multi that took numerous visits over several weeks:

icon_smile.gif November 17, 2006 by WRASTRO (2918 found)

#1200!!

Oh, this feels very good indeed...

As is our practice, we did not plan on this particular cache as a milestone find. We just let them happen. In this case we are doubly happy to achieve a milestone and to finally finish this cache! By George's count we had about 123 finds when we started working on this cache about 3 years ago(ok, not quite that bad). This cache alone could have put us over 2,000 if we could count every outing to hunt the many and varied waypoints.

The sun and the moon and the stars all seemed to be aligned this afternoon for George when he returned to finish up WP5. The info was in hand in about 2 seconds and it was off to the next adventure. And it was an adventure since George did not quite inerpret the information at WP5 correctly. What a surprise!? After a solid 30 minutes of searching many places that George would rather not think about, the container was located and it was off to the "almost" final.

After a fair amount of "huh?" moments at WP6 the necessary info was AT LONG LAST in hand to hunt for the final. A few short minutes later George had the container in hand and all around was aglow with the light of George's beaming smile.

Several hours later (really only a few minutes) George completed the task of returning the container to the correct location, then he returned to the ever trusty Geowagon and drove off into the sunset, ready and eager to challenge and find all geocaches, large or small, easy or hard, and to defend the American Way, Mom, Apple Pie, eating too much at Thanksgiving...well you get the idea.

This is a lengthy and complex cache to hunt and to administer and everyone should do it. Our profound thanks to The Jester for creating it, keeping it alive, and sharing it with the geocaching community. God bless us, every one... and to all, a good night.

You know I stayed out of this till now. The OP asked a reasonable question. Even the puritan responses were reasonable responses. There is clearly a part of the community who holds to the one find per cache principle, and the OP should know this in deciding how to proceed. But what gets me is when the puritans continue to march out this section of the guidelines that everyone else knows applies to ALRs. When Groundspeak decided they didn't want cache owners deleting found logs because some cache owner wanted them to log online in haiku or post a picture of themselves in a funny hat, they added the quoted section to the guidelines. It simple says that once the physical log is signed, cache owners can't go about deleting online logs solely because of an addition requirement. Nowhere does it say that cache owners can't accept online logs where the physical log is not signed or can't allow multiple online found logs. I think most of the puritans know this now, but I will continue to correct this misconception whenever I see it posted.

i am no puritan by any stretch of the imagination, tbh i really don't care how many times someone logs the same cache, i just don't see the point and the guideline seems to be reasonable in that sense

as long as i've been geocaching that was in the guidelines and they deal with log deletion separate, in any case regardless of what reason Groundspeak had it still doesn't make sense to log the same cache as found multiple times....same thing as logging a find on your own cache...

you found it the first time, in subsequent visits you knew where it is already

The guideline you quoted says absolutely nothing about the number of times you can log it. It just indicates when you can log it, and that being after you sign the physical log.

not in so many words, but is the underlying message

what is the point in logging a cache as found more than once?

to me it looks quite ridiculous when people log an event as attended multiple times just because they found all the temporary caches placed for that event

Edited by t4e

You can certainly tell people on the cache page that they can log a find per stage. In areas where this is common, some will. In areas where it's rare, most won't.

I'd recommend finding a forum that's more local to you, or looking at a bunch of multi-cache pages in your part of the world. If you see multi-logging, then go for it. If not, you can still try it, but don't expect many people to do it.

The Red Gate in Illinois has this language, "Feel free to log each stage as a separate find. C)B-)". Some finders do, and some don't.

I believe I have stumbled on one multi in Wisconsin, and one in Ohio that has the language "feel free to log each stage as a seperate find". Caches which state this are extremely rare in my experience. You can absolutely do this, but as I said, it would be extremely rare. :ph34r: It pretty much goes against the accepted social norms of Geocaching. But as others have said, I would run it by the locals in a local forum, and see what they think.

You can read a message in the guidelines even though the words don't say what that message is? Horsesqueeze.

The guidelines say that once you find the cache, you may log it online. That in no way addresses the number of times the cache may be logged.

People do it, obviously, to increase their find count. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but it's allowed. I've done it before, but I don't do it now. Other people do it quite a lot. It doesn't bother me if they do it. Does it take away from your enjoyment of the game?

to me it looks quite ridiculous when people log an event as attended multiple times just because they found all the temporary caches placed for that event
And there are probably things you do that look quite ridiculous to other people too. Vive la difference!

The multi-logging question aside, you may find you don't want to list it as a multi in this case. As an owner you'll quickly discover that multi and mystery caches see FAR FEWER visitors than a traditionals. Not to mention all the "We found the first 5 but we got stumped on #6, are you sure it's there?" logs multi's tend to accumulate. My recommendation is just to make it a series - it's considerably less work to set up and maintain, and will see more traffic to boot.

You can read a message in the guidelines even though the words don't say what that message is? Horsesqueeze.

The guidelines say that once you find the cache, you may log it online. That in no way addresses the number of times the cache may be logged.

People do it, obviously, to increase their find count. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but it's allowed. I've done it before, but I don't do it now. Other people do it quite a lot. It doesn't bother me if they do it. Does it take away from your enjoyment of the game?

And there are probably things you do that look quite ridiculous to other people too. Vive la difference!

i think as adults with common sense we should be able to "retrieve" an underlying meaning from a message, one which seems reasonable in circumstances

but you conveniently left out this part of my post

i am no puritan by any stretch of the imagination, tbh i really don't care how many times someone logs the same cache

My thoughts:

A multi is a single cache. I would not log a Find for each stage nor would I allow seekers to log a Find for each stage. Nothing to do with being a puritan, it simply messes up the numbers. Someone who completes an eight stage Multi has found one Multi cache. However, if they log for each stage their numbers would show they have done eight Multi caches, which is not what happened.

It's the same reason I wouldn't log multiple finds on the same event if someone has placed temporary caches. First, if they are only temporary and not listed on this site then it doesn't make sense to count them as a Find here. Secondly, I don't want my statistics to show I attended ten events if I only actually attended one. After all, those temporary caches aren't Events, they are caches.

C'mon naked Rush guy. :ph34r: I'm sure the OP didn't want a debate centered on strict libertarian "people can do anything they want, and it doesn't effect anyone" doctrine. The number of people out there who tell you to log a smiley for each stage of a multi is infinitesimally small, and statistically insignificant.

well, I have ~260 multi finds, I guess I should up it to 450 if you allow finds at each stage. Since when is finding a sticker showing coordinates for the next stage a "cache", its a non-signable sticker? A cache is a find, not a sticker saying where to find the actual cache at the end of the rainbow.

I would not log a Find for each stage nor would I allow seekers to log a Find for each stage.

As a cache owner are you allowed to do that? Can an owner delete 'extra' found logs?

Yes.

Cache Maintenance

The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus' date=' counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.[/b']

I would not log a Find for each stage nor would I allow seekers to log a Find for each stage.

As a cache owner are you allowed to do that? Can an owner delete 'extra' found logs?

Yep,,, and i would!

It's part of the job of maintaining my cache.

Also in the guidelines: "The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements."

IMO,,, One found, one attended log per GC number..

"The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements."

That section doesn't really address the specific issue to me.

Caches that specifically allow and recommend multiple 'found it' logs are allowed per the guidelines. Examples of these have been given in this thread. Therefore multiple found it logs must be legitimate logs according to the rules. So how can a cache owner delete a legitimate log?

C'mon naked Rush guy. :ph34r: I'm sure the OP didn't want a debate centered on strict libertarian "people can do anything they want, and it doesn't effect anyone" doctrine. The number of people out there who tell you to log a smiley for each stage of a multi is infinitesimally small, and statistically insignificant.

I think when newbies come here with a question of this sort, they usually want to know what the generally accepted practice is. Few people want to walk into a room of people with toilet paper on their shoe, especially if they are new to that group.

Correct. It's extremely rare for a cache owner to invite finders to log finds for each stage.

The OP asked if it was allowed. It is. I told him that it was.

I gave him an alternative to doing so - without being insulting to him as others have been - that would satisfy you and the rest of the puritans who would prefer he didn't allow the multiple logs.

It was then suggested that allowing multiple finds is actually against the guidelines but a guideline was quoted that doesn't prohibit multiple finds at all.

What do you want from me? I was trying to help the guy while being nice as well as offering an acceptable alternative. And yet for some reason I'm still given a hard time for my reply.

Caches that specifically allow and recommend multiple 'found it' logs are allowed per the guidelines. Examples of these have been given in this thread. Therefore multiple found it logs must be legitimate logs according to the rules. So how can a cache owner delete a legitimate log?

If a cache owner allows multiple finds on his cache, then the additional Found It logs are legitimate and he's under no obligation to delete them.

If a cache owner doesn't allow multiple finds on his cache, and someone logs it more than once, the additional finds are bogus and should be deleted when discovered by the cache owner.

So yes, extra finds CAN be deleted if they're deemed bogus by the cache owner.

If a cache owner allows multiple finds on his cache, then the additional Found It logs are legitimate and he's under no obligation to delete them.

If a cache owner doesn't allow multiple finds on his cache, and someone logs it more than once, the additional finds are bogus and should be deleted when discovered by the cache owner.

So yes, extra finds CAN be deleted if they're deemed bogus by the cache owner.

You nailed it...

Additional find logs on a cache that i own would either be mistakenly entered or bogus. I would email the cacher who logged them before deleting to let them correct their entry(ies). If they did not, then i would take care of it for them.

I really don't have a problem with other cachers allowing others to log more than one find on a cache. It's their cache and as long as they follow gc.com guidelines, they can deploy it the way they see fit.

I came up on a couple of caches last weekend where the owner encouraged cachers to log more than one find it log. I can't even remember why, but it's their perogative to allow it. Not sure if i even made it to either of those caches but if i did, you can bet that i only logged find on them one time! ;)

Edited by Mudfrog

That section doesn't define *appear to be bogus*. My interpretation of that statement would include an extra found it log on any of the caches that I own. In practice, I would send email to that cacher first asking them to delete their extra log, but if they didn't, I would feel justified in deleting it. If another cache owner feels that an extra log is okay on one of their caches, their interpretation of *appears to be bogus* would be different, and the guideline would not mandate that the extra log be deleted.

Can you? Yes

I am from the 1 cache=1 find school

I enjoy a well thought out multi. I find I am more likely to do a multi (when traveling) that tells me howm any stages, approximate distance traveled, and apporximate time it will take.

I would not be any more likely to go after a multi that awarded a smiley for every stage, and I would never log more than one smiley.

That section doesn't define *appear to be bogus*. My interpretation of that statement would include an extra found it log on any of the caches that I own... If another cache owner feels that an extra log is okay on one of their caches, their interpretation of *appears to be bogus* would be different, and the guideline would not mandate that the extra log be deleted.

That's my take on it. I own a cache that a particular caching team finds about every year or two when they travel through the area, and they log the cache as found when they do. They usually upload a few photos from their most recent visit. I have no problems with them using the GC.com site to help them keep track of their geocaching adventures in this way - I actually look forward to their logs - and so I happily let them stand.

In my opinion, we need a new forum set up, called "Perpetual Geocaching Debates" where these discussions can go on as long as needed, viewed only by those that care about them (I suspect the OP would not be one of them). I personally find it a bit embarrassing when I see the dirty laundry of the forums hung out in public every time somebody, in complete innocence, asks a controversial question like this.

I have several caches that involve solving a puzzle at each stage to get to the final cache. I'll usually put instructions or a hint with each stage that will tell the person how to solve the puzzles so they don't get too frustrated. The series is called Fun with Numbers. I wanted it to be fun so I had to avoid getting those who were seeking the cache too frustrated. Basically I tried to figure out just how challenging/frustrating my puzzles could get without having them want to quit. I have a bunch of people who like doing them, but then it seemed the cache would just sit there without any takers after that. I thought if I made each new puzzle cache have just one individual puzzle to solve, instead of multiple puzzles before someone could find the cache, I might have more people looking for my caches, but that really hasn't made a difference.

My girlfriend that I cache with hasn't done any of my multiple puzzle caches; they're too frustrating for her. We recently did a cache series with a story line that involved looking for several independent caches and getting clues from each cache for the final to tell us how the story ended. She liked the fact that she could log each cache and look for them independently and not depend on having to find the caches in sequence in order to get to the final before logging a find. If she got frustrated with one she could try another and maybe come back and get some help for the one's she was having trouble finding. Think I'll try to structure some new multicaches more along this idea(no puzzles except for the one for the clues in each cache that lead to the final).

As someone who travels and likes to stop and look for caches to break up the monotony of a long car trip I appreciate the importance of having caches that are quick to find because my time to hunt for them is limited. Long involved caches where one cache leads to another which leads to another don't work. Still I do like the novelty of a bit of a challenge.

It should be mentioned that the guideline being discussed is from the listing guidelines. It is a guideline that cache owners must follow. It is not directed at cache finders. As such, it is directing cache owners not to delete logs when the logbook has been signed.

As Mushtang and Toz explained so well, it doesn't speak to multiple find logs because that is addressed in the maintenance requirements.

To the thread's subject:

This thread immediately reminded me of all those times when people have wanted to place multiple caches and were directed to make them a multi, instead. If a person wished to create multiple guidelines-following caches and were directed to make it a multi, then why would that person not be able to allow online find logs for each stage? I can think of no reason to not allow this, especially given that event holders have long been permitted to allow online finds for temporary event caches or other event-related activities.

At the end of the day, the OP's question is simple: "Can I allow one smiley per stage in a muti-cache?", restated to "Can I allow credit for each cache (stage) found when it is a multi cache?"

Regardless of any of our personal feelings about this issue, there is only one answer to the question; 'Yes'. The guidelines do not forbid this practice. Also, multis that allow multiple find logs already exist. TPTB's official position on this and similar caches is that they are not verboten.

Edited by sbell111

Forgive me for suggesting this.. So does this now mean instead of driving all day on those pesky "Power Trails" we could now set up a "Power Cache"

A big container full of 500 or so film cans each one with a log in it. An hours worth of work and you get 500 new smiles.

Not only could you technically do that, but you only have to include one film can. Of course, you would risk Jeremy's wrath...

At the end of the day, the OP's question is simple: "Can I allow one smiley per stage in a muti-cache?", restated to "Can I allow credit for each cache (stage) found when it is a multi cache?"

And just where do you spend this credit?

Regardless of the lack of rule that says whether cache owner may allow or forbid multiple logs on a given cache, there is the more interesting debate of why a geocacher would or wouldn't want to log a given cache multiple times.

Some people assume there is a simple answer - that you are inflating your find count artificially in order to get more credits. Others believe that

. Those who wish to track the numbers of hidden containers they found in conjunction with geocaching or the number of times they sign the log in a geocache or whatever else will use the find log to log these activities. Many others use the find log to track whatever their definition of a geocache is - and while in most instances the idea that each listing on GC.com represents an individual geocache is a reasonable definition there may be some instances where multiple finds on the same GC number makes sense. For example moving caches or a significant change to a cache where the hider has chosen to reuse the cache page from the old cache. But since the points don't matter, it's like debating whether you should eat ice cream in a cone or in a dish :mmraspberry"

Newbie here, and experienced advice appreciated.....

I have planned a multi cache with 8 stages/caches. This is a puzzle quest where only the 1st coords will be posted.

Seekers must visit each stage and solve a puzzle to be able to gain coords for the next stage until you reach the final cache.

My question is, "Can I allow credit for each cache (stage) found when it is a multi cache?"

Each stage are miles apart so I feel that credit should be given when each step is found and puzzle solved.

But there is no option on the "Report a new Cache" page to allow for more than one smiley (even with a multi cache).

If I list them all as Traditional caches, then I will have to post the coords for each cache, thus spoiling the purpose of the game (solving puzzles to get next coords).

Seeking advice from the experienced.

macee416 from TN

One thing a lot of people do, is to put out a series of puzzle caches (or a series of standard caches) with a "final" that is a puzzle cache that you had to go to all of the others in the series to get. This is common around here. This might be your best bet.

This would give your caches a little more attention also. (Assuming you want people to find your caches).

There are some, but not a whole lot of people who want to find an 8 part multi-cache that has a puzzle at each stop, that the waypoints are miles apart. There are some that like these involved caches, but if you look at the finds on any involved caches they are few.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with putting out a cache that few people will find. There are many of them, and they are needed too. Variety is important. We need a few really tough caches out there. Just make sure and give it a rating that reflects the amount of effort people will have to put into your cache.

Because you've only found 27 caches (with only one of them being a multi) you might want to cache a bit longer before you decide on a huge project like this. You'll get a better idea of what others do and what people like to find. Focus on finding some multi's for a while. That's the only way to get a feel for placing a good multi.

Edited by Sol seaker

Forgive me for suggesting this.. So does this now mean instead of driving all day on those pesky "Power Trails" we could now set up a "Power Cache"

A big container full of 500 or so film cans each one with a log in it. An hours worth of work and you get 500 new smiles.

An hour? Just get 500 or so film cans, pre-sign all the logs, then swap all the film cans in the big container with the ones you've with you. It should only take a minute to "find 500 caches" but it'll probably take longer to cut-n-paste the online logs. :drama: