Why do you hate Nano / Micro sized caches?

Hi,

First off, Please don't turn this into a flaming thread.

I have noticed before & currently that there are a group of geocachers that seem to dislike Nano / Micro sized geocaches.

I am not using this thread to try and convince those of you who don't like them to change your mind about them. The reason for this thread is that I am very curious to find out what the reasons are that YOU don't like them.

So PLEASE don't be argumenative, or rude. I would just like to know YOUR reasons for not like Nano/Micro sized caches. There is a possibility I will chime in and ask you an additional question to clarify your answer, but it won't be to change your mind or to be argumenative.

Like I said... Just trying to understand why a group of you don't like these type caches.

This applies to ALL Nano / Micro sized caches that are placed anywhere and everywhere, not just in LPC's, or Trees, etc...

Thanks

TGC

I don't MIND doing them, but prefer other sizes.

The BIGGEST issue I have with nanos are the following...

1) Trying to roll that logbook up (especially in the winter)

2) Those stupid magents that always fall off then you can't find it so you can't place it back in the same spot cuz it's no longer magnetic.

Hi,

First off, Please don't turn this into a flaming thread.

I have noticed before & currently that there are a group of geocachers that seem to dislike Nano / Micro sized geocaches.

I am not using this thread to try and convince those of you who don't like them to change your mind about them. The reason for this thread is that I am very curious to find out what the reasons are that YOU don't like them.

So PLEASE don't be argumenative, or rude. I would just like to know YOUR reasons for not like Nano/Micro sized caches. There is a possibility I will chime in and ask you an additional question to clarify your answer, but it won't be to change your mind or to be argumenative.

Like I said... Just trying to understand why a group of you don't like these type caches.

This applies to ALL Nano / Micro sized caches that are placed anywhere and everywhere, not just in LPC's, or Trees, etc...

Thanks

TGC

I don't really hate them, in fact there have been some that I have enjoyed. There are two reasons that I prefer the larger sizes though.

1) I usually always cache with my 12 year old grandson and he wants to trade stuff. It doesn't seem to matter what, just something. If he can't trade he gets bored pretty quick and want's to go home unless #2 comes into play.

2) Most of them are in boring places. I've been to WalMart, etc. and I've seen thousands of guard rails. I honestly don't care what kind of cache is there, IF you take me someplace interesting I'll like it. The converse is also true, if you take me someplace boring I probably won't like it.

I don't and I'd assume that what most cachers dislike is poor caches, placed in locations that they don't belong or could support a much larger cache.

I like a nice clever micro now and then, but given the chance I'd much rather find a larger cache in the woods.

What MJS said. ^^^

I'm so thankful for Favorites, now I can visit micros that are actually clever/fun/interesting/creative/have-a-wow-factor and ignore the 95% of micros/nanos that are placed because the CO doesn't want to spend any money on a cache hide.

Hi Chef. For me, the answer is not that simple. My likes/dislikes have nothing to do with size, yet because of my past rants, I have been classified as a "micro hater'. Thanx for this thread, which offers an opportunity for me to clarify my seemingly contradictory position. What I dislike are low quality containers, in uninspired locations, with unimaginative write ups. In my area, when you find a cache that meets all three of these, it will be a micro almost exclusively. Give me a micro that utilizes a quality container, in a nice setting, with a good write up, and it will likely be added to my favorites list.

Unfortunately, the folks who place the kind of caches I dislike often place huge quantities of them, saturating an area. Since I prefer to spend my caching time hunting the types of caches I enjoy, I have started using the "easy peasy" method for maximizing my enjoyment: Eliminate micros, (and size not chosen, and other), from my PQs.

So, too clarify: I don't hate micros, I hate crappy caches. Locally, crappy caches = micros.

Our 7 yr old daughter doesn't like micros/nanos because she can't trade anything. She won't even get out of the Jeep for them. She always asks what size the cache is as we are pulling up. I think it's funny when she does this. I don't mind micros but the nanos I don't like. The logs are hard to roll up.We had a few hidden and now they are all archived because of this reason. Plus the logs get full real quick. We will find any cache though.

I don't MIND doing them, but prefer other sizes.

The BIGGEST issue I have with nanos are the following...

1) Trying to roll that logbook up (especially in the winter)

2) Those stupid magents that always fall off then you can't find it so you can't place it back in the same spot cuz it's no longer magnetic.

So it isn't the "finding" part of a nano cache that is so much the problem but dealing with the issues that a nano sized container creates then?

TGC

I don't really hate them, in fact there have been some that I have enjoyed. There are two reasons that I prefer the larger sizes though.

1) I usually always cache with my 12 year old grandson and he wants to trade stuff. It doesn't seem to matter what, just something. If he can't trade he gets bored pretty quick and want's to go home unless #2 comes into play.

2) Most of them are in boring places. I've been to WalMart, etc. and I've seen thousands of guard rails. I honestly don't care what kind of cache is there, IF you take me someplace interesting I'll like it. The converse is also true, if you take me someplace boring I probably won't like it.

Aww yes... I call that the kid rule. Hard to keep some kids interested without having some sort of "prize" involved. Especially the younger ones! Even regular sized caches can have issues when their isn't good swag. LOL

Just curious, So the thrill of finding something well hidden, what I call the "Search factor" isn't a part of geocaching for you? (That may sound argumenative but isn't, just trying to clarify your motivation for geocaching"

TGC

Just curious, So the thrill of finding something well hidden, what I call the "Search factor" isn't a part of geocaching for you? (That may sound argumenative but isn't, just trying to clarify your motivation for geocaching"

The thrill of finding something well hidden, in a clever way is a thrill the first time you find it, but when the method is copied over and over again, it looses it's wow factor. Examples: the fake bolt nano, and the electric plate micro.

Hi Chef. For me, the answer is not that simple. My likes/dislikes have nothing to do with size, yet because of my past rants, I have been classified as a "micro hater'. Thanx for this thread, which offers an opportunity for me to clarify my seemingly contradictory position. What I dislike are low quality containers, in uninspired locations, with unimaginative write ups. In my area, when you find a cache that meets all three of these, it will be a micro almost exclusively. Give me a micro that utilizes a quality container, in a nice setting, with a good write up, and it will likely be added to my favorites list.

Unfortunately, the folks who place the kind of caches I dislike often place huge quantities of them, saturating an area. Since I prefer to spend my caching time hunting the types of caches I enjoy, I have started using the "easy peasy" method for maximizing my enjoyment: Eliminate micros, (and size not chosen, and other), from my PQs.

So, too clarify: I don't hate micros, I hate crappy caches. Locally, crappy caches = micros.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify. I would like to think that most geocachers hate "Crappy" geocaches, regardless of size. I have seen containers of ALL sizes in our area that are just plain crappy, not well designed, shouldn't be used etc.

If I could ask you to clarify a little more please I would be gratefull. (I guess these questions her apply to caches of all sizes) Do you enjoy what I call the "Search factor" that is enjoying finding something that is well hidden? (Other than needle in a haystack hides) What about those that maybe easy to find, but "Retrieving" them makes you use a few brain cells just to retrieve them?

Oh & for those of you reading along.... One of the big reasons I started this thread. I have placed as of today, 150 caches. I have all types of all sizes (Although currently no nano's). I have caches for the "numbers" people, as well as for those who like the challenge of a good hunt, including the challenge of being able to retrieve the log (Check out my fishing series), as well as some that take you to a very nice scenic area. I will be placing more caches in the future and to provide a good selection of caches for those to find in the future, I am interested in getting those thoughts & opinions of cachers. Cause as we all know.... Geocachers don't always leave very detailed logs on their thoughts & opinions.

TGC

I don't hate them for thier size.

I really don't hate them at all. I do take issue with my opinion that many (if not most) of these tend to be hidden at uninspired locations and hidden in an uninspired manner. This seems to be the case because of the relative lack of expense for placing one and the lack of any swag.

Edited by StarBrand

Our 7 yr old daughter doesn't like micros/nanos because she can't trade anything. She won't even get out of the Jeep for them. She always asks what size the cache is as we are pulling up. I think it's funny when she does this. I don't mind micros but the nanos I don't like. The logs are hard to roll up.We had a few hidden and now they are all archived because of this reason. Plus the logs get full real quick. We will find any cache though.

Yep, You have the "kid factor" involved. I have talked with a few local geocachers who have kids. I don't have any kids currently, so from what I gather, it seems the younger ones are all about what can "trade", whats the prize. Seems only the older ones stay interested in it because of the "Search Factor" or the "Where it took me factor".

TGC

The thrill of finding something well hidden, in a clever way is a thrill the first time you find it, but when the method is copied over and over again, it looses it's wow factor. Examples: the fake bolt nano, and the electric plate micro.

Very understandable. Sadly in our current state of affairs.... Seems everyone wants to "Copy" everything.

Just take a look at THIS years CES that just ended. Apple came out with a wonderfull "Tablet" type computer that we all know and love as the iPad.... Now look at this years CES. Almost 2 dozen different computer companies all coming out with their own version of a "Tablet" (iPad) style computer!

Do you filter out Micro's/Nano's? Obviously at this point in time, until the Nano Size option is made available it isn't to easy to filter out nano's.

TGC

For me Nano's or micro's can be fun. I have shared many stories with fellow cachers in regards to some really neat finds. EG. inside the mouth of a plastic frog sitting in a bush was pretty neat my kids loved the container. Spending 45 min in the woods surrounded by large stately trees and discovering that one of the mushrooms growing from the side of a tree was infact "hooked on" when removed the bison tube was inside the mushroom. Now on the other hand to be out in the middle of nowhere where is there only the one cache in the area to find a cammoed taped bison tube hanging from a tree does really frustrate me especially when I have packed my kids up with me (I have 3 of them) I mean really who is going to come out to the middle of nowhere except a cacher and when you look around you see so many places for a wonderfull ammo can. I have what I would call wasted ALOT of my time looking for hanging bison tubes. A little imagination can go along way when it comes to nano's and mico's and it makes it much more enjoyable.

I am avoiding them primarily because I am a brand-new cacher and have had no luck finding the little varmints, hehe. I'm saving them until the spring when it's warmer and when I have more experience.

Also, I typically go geocaching with my small children. They are more apt to enjoy caches with swag that they can trade out, rather than a teeny-tiny thing with no nifty trinkets to swap. :) They are young enough so that even less-than-cool swag still excites them; I think it's just the "idea." they enjoy adding swag as well as finding something. ;) My 7 year old has now officially started a keychain collection based on caching. He puts his new keychains on his old keychains; I figure we'll have a right long string of 'em 'afore too long. ;)

Edited by MamaKatO

I don't hate them for thier size.

I really don't hate them at all. I do take issue with my opinion that many (if not most) of these tend to be hidden at uninspired locations and hidden in an uninspired manner. This seems to be the case because of the relative lack of expense for placing one and the lack of any swag.

The Swag reason is one of the reasons I don't mind finding micro's & nano's even some smalls. I have found almost 1800 caches in the last year & a half, and very rarely I have I come across any cache that had good swag in it. Even from a kids perspective.

Since I have hidden 150 caches... I can say that one of the benefits I like about the smaller caches is that one doesn't have to deal with the swag. In those caches of mine that are big enough for SWAG, I had placed probably over $250 worth of nice swag. Today whats left that has been traded? Nothing but crap. That issue is a topic for a whole new thread I am sure. I currently don't have any nano's placed. I don't know if I will either. Those little nano containers are $4 a pop. I have & do create some very nice micro & small sized caches from my larger pill bottles for alot less money!

Since you mention swag. Do you have a "kid factor" to deal with? I am assuming here that you have found some nano's and micro's, have their been any that you found to be interesting? Either where it was placed or how it was placed?

TGC

Do you enjoy what I call the "Search factor" that is enjoying finding something that is well hidden? (Other than needle in a haystack hides) What about those that maybe easy to find, but "Retrieving" them makes you use a few brain cells just to retrieve them?

For me, a cleverly concealed cache adds to the enjoyment. Naturally, this requires that I utilize my definition of "clever". If I take a fake rock, and toss it into a pile of rocks, to me, that's not clever, though it would certainly be challenging. The needle in the haystack analogy you cited works well in defining my distaste. I also enjoy caches that require a bit of brain power to retrieve. Typically, the folks who expend the time/energy to create custom hides won't place them in areas I avoid, such as Burger King shrubbery and Wally World parking lots, so I get the thrill of finding a clever cache, combined with the joy I get from simply being in a beautiful location.

The kids do like the larger containers, but they don't cache all that much anymore. Part of the reason for that is I cache on my way to/from work. I don't mind finding nanos and micros, but as others have said I don't enjoy uninspired hides.

One guy in my area is well known for his crappy hides. The description on every cache page is identical, the only thing different is the name of the cache. There isn't a hint or any information at all about the container or even why the location (usually 10 feet from a road) was chosen. The worst part is that other cachers have been copying his style so there are several series like this around town.

If you can't do more than copy and paste the same cache page over and over, you probably shouldn't be placing these caches.

In another area I cache in, there's a cacher using a similar style. Each cache page has a write up about something unrelated to geocaching (one series has a cache for each state, another has each president, etc) but again, the description has nothing to do with the cache itself. At least some of these have a hint.

I don't hate micros, but I do not like "needle in the haystack" hides. The nano on a tank.. the bison tube in a spruce plantation.. the nano on an iron bridge.. the fake rock in a rock pile.. they have all been done before and I don't really get much out of them except a blank spot on my area map once they are on my found list. Yes I do look for them, but am fairly strict with myself in allowing no more than a 10 minutes search. I'd much rather be in the woods, preferably off trail, to find one snuggled into a nice secure hiding spot. I know lots of people rail against micros in the woods, but I'd rather look there than in parking lots.

good one

No t(h)anks

PS just noticed the cache page on my first example says small... yes it is very "small". :)

Edited by edscott
Do you enjoy what I call the "Search factor" that is enjoying finding something that is well hidden? (Other than needle in a haystack hides) What about those that maybe easy to find, but "Retrieving" them makes you use a few brain cells just to retrieve them?

For me, a cleverly concealed cache adds to the enjoyment. Naturally, this requires that I utilize my definition of "clever". If I take a fake rock, and toss it into a pile of rocks, to me, that's not clever, though it would certainly be challenging. The needle in the haystack analogy you cited works well in defining my distaste. I also enjoy caches that require a bit of brain power to retrieve. Typically, the folks who expend the time/energy to create custom hides won't place them in areas I avoid, such as Burger King shrubbery and Wally World parking lots, so I get the thrill of finding a clever cache, combined with the joy I get from simply being in a beautiful location.

Do you like garden hides? What I mean by gardens. Here in the DFW area, there are alot of gardens ranging in size from just a few square feet, to being as large as one can imagine. (Well almost that large... lol) There are couple of very nice garden seclusions with picnic tables at a few of our Wally Worlds here in DFW. Of course those Wally Worlds are in the obviously more upscale areas of DFW too! lol

TGC

I also do not mind micro/nano hides. They serve a purpose for placing a cache somewhere that you wouldn't normally be able to place one to bring someone to an interesting place.

If the nano is hidden in the urban setting, I will usually look for it for a while trying to figure out where it may be because there aren't usually a ton of possible hiding spots just better concealment.

If it is out in the woods, I will only look for a brief time because I don't think it's a great idea to hide something so small in such a vast area that could have had a better sized cache placed at it. I do not think it's fun to look at every branch on the ground, or limb on the tree, or under every rock in an area that gives you the only clue of, "It's small, look hard".

Even my kids like to hunt for the smaller caches, in the urban setting, along with the larger ones but they also will ask after searching for awhile in the woods, "What size is the cache?" I look it up and it will say, "unknown size". This means that we are looking for a needle in a haystack and my kids will usually say, "Where's the next cache?". I would prefer if people did not use that feature to hide the fact they hid a micro/nano cache. Just list it as it is or put it in the description that we are looking for something small.

edited for spelling

Edited by ao318

At every geocache that has swag I trade something, and add the item I take to my collection. For this reason I prefer larger containers that have some toys.

I don't filter out the micros and nanos, but they need to have something to make up for the lack of swag. I will go for a clever or unusual hide - thanks to favorites I can see them easily. I might go for an unremarkable if I happen to be in the vicinity.

I hate micros placed because the owner didn't want to buy a larger container; a micro in a place where a 55 gallon barrel could be hidden is a no-no for me.

However:

I'm not too disappointed of the micros that I found, mostly because I was forewarned not to have high expectations. The disappointment when I find a below mediocre regular container is bitter. I found regular containers with no swag; regulars with a logsheet instead of a logbook; smalls and regulars that were cracked, filled with water or both. It happened to me to find a small container on a wonderful forest trail, 1.5 hours of walking each way to get it, dry, with a standard logbook and swag, with a blank logbook (I'm a FTF hound btw), and still be a bit disappointed by that cache.

Do you enjoy what I call the "Search factor" that is enjoying finding something that is well hidden?

I like it if it's hidden in just the perfect spot, due to camouflage, or hidden “in plain sight”, pretty much a puzzle. Something that the CO put a lot of thought and work in to doing right. If I DNF, I’ll be back.

If it’s just a pill bottle wrapped in tattered, sticky, soaking-wet duct tape, with a moldy log, no room left to sign, somewhere in the branches of an evergreen, I’m not so excited about it. And if I’d have to climb over all the other people in the park to search for it, I’ll pass.

Do you like garden hides?

That's a tough question. Most garden hides I've found have utilized crappy containers. If you change that part of the equation, then I might. I am not really comfortable poking around landscaping, as I am constantly afraid I might damage something sensitive. Generally speaking, if my GPSr brings me to a spot of landscaping in a parking lot or at a neighborhood intersection, I'll stay outside and do the searching with my eyes. If I find the cache, then I will ease in carefully for the retrieval. If I see a spot that needs checking, I'll do the same thing. Ease in, check, ease out. If I fail to find it in short order, my fun meter hits zero and I move on. My fun meter drops slower in areas I enjoy being in, such as woods and swamps.

Micros are not my favorite, and depending on how much time we're going to be spending caching, I'll filter out the small ones. Why?

1) Too hard to find

2) If you've seen one guard rail, you've seen them all

3) If it's not an inspired location (for any size), I'll pass.

I have looked for some micros, and actually found several. Some are fine, others are just a waste of time. I'd rather find TBs or cleverly hide larger caches.

BTW- What the heck is a bison tube? Never heard of it.

Edited by aintnorock

One of the recurring themes I notice from those who have been labeled micro or nano haters, including myself, is that they filter them out because the vast majority lack in the things they enjoy about caching. Are there great nanos and micros out there? Sure. Are there crappy caches out there in the other sizes? Certainly. But by just filtering out the smallest sizes the odds of finding a cache that is at least minimally interesting for more than a +1 on the find count goes way up. It is just one more way to maximize the enjoyment we get out of the limited time we can spend caching. For me where the cache takes me is as important as the cache itself. And lets face it, if it is a truly spectacular micro someone will call it to our attention.

Micros are often low-investment caches :- No thought to the container or the hide location. Just because you can hide a nano anywhere doesn't mean it's a good idea to do that. I'd take a hike up a mountain to get one regular sized container rather than grab 10 "Power Trail #1,2,3..." caches that are placed at the side of a main road somewhere. I'd hike up a mountain to get a nano-sized container too but it better not be camo'd as a fake rock in a pile of rocks or my enjoyment level will take a quick decline. I'd rather find a simply-hidden ammo can in that situation.

I don't hate nanos and micros. I dislike caches placed in mundane and/or unappealing areas, regardless of size. I don't care for needle in a haystack hides. They are not creative, they are quite the opposite. It so happens that these types of caches tend to be micros and nanos.

The micro/nano size tends to attract the lazy cache hiders. It usually takes some thought to choose a larger container, fill it with swag and find a hiding spot where it isn't likely to be stolen. With micros on the other hand all you need is a film canister and a strip of paper. No need to put any thought into where you hide it either. If it's stolen, who cares? You're out nothing.

I also dislike micros and nanos in the woods because of the potential of increased impact.

But a well thought out micro or nano? Absolutely love them.

My primary issue with many of the micros that I see placed has been echoed elsewhere: Placement. I have seen interesting micro containers that take me to a beautiful bronze sculpture that make it all worth while, but I-along with many others-have seen more than enough of them thrown in places that just make the association of Micro-Lameness that much more concrete.

Aww yes... I call that the kid rule. Hard to keep some kids interested without having some sort of "prize" involved. Especially the younger ones! Even regular sized caches can have issues when their isn't good swag. LOL

TGC

It's really not that hard to keep him interested IF we go to someplace interesting. Example: two or three weeks ago we went to a cache in a small conservation area near our home that we had never visited before. We spent 20 minutes or so finding the cache, most of that walking to it. Not that it was far to walk, we just kept getting distracted. After we found the container and signed the log we spent anther hour and a half or so exploring the area. That one wound up on our favorites list. The "prize" doesn't have to be physical but he has to get something out of the deal. I prefer that myself....

The "Search factor" can be a big part of geocaching for us if it a clever hide or interesting puzzle. We really enjoyed our first nano simply because of the search factor. We were still pretty new to the game and didn't have any idea what a nano was when we left the house. Fortunately we met the COs on the trail and they told us what to expect. It was in a parking lot with nothing to see except some trash but finding it was fun for both of us. Would we enjoy another one like that? Not really.

Another one we enjoyed was our first FTF. And it took six days for us to even figure out where to start looking. THIS ONE Another instant favorite, at least after my head stopped hurting where I had been pulling my hair ;)

I don't hate nano's / micros.

I'm sick of film canisters in trees and under lamp skirts. I'm growing tired of nano's on signs and sign posts.

I absolutely love some of the creative hides that utilize Nanos & small micros. These creative hides include nano's made to look like bee hives, ant hills, tree knots, foliage, etc. I've also found micro's at the top of a flag pole, inside branches, in the crease of a tree, hung by fishing line in a variety of places, and many other interesting hides.

Only thing I dislike about Nanos is attempting to rewind the log.

I have fat thumbs and this is almost impossible for me.

I dont mind searching for these micro containers, its a challenge.

I recently was told about a winding tool that can be purchased at

craft store called a Quilling Tool. 3 bucks and it rewinds logs

very easily. So the pain of these minuscule logs has now been alleviated.

TGC is the master of hiding micros. I've found several of his hides.

Why? What makes them special?

Yeah I would like to know too! LOL.... Honestly, some of my micro hides are specifically made for those who want to make "numbers" runs. Most however are not.

In any event, I would like to think I take great care in producing quality & well camoed Micros. Most are all painted with multi-tone paint to match the location it is being hidden in. I don't currently have any nano's, and the micros I do hide are all very clever containers. Or so I have been told many times. Some of my hides are MORE about the RETRIEVAL factor then they are about finding it. Eash to find, but you have to use your brain on how to succesfully retrieve it. (Check out my fishing series)

Except for one micro I have hidden none of them are needle in a haystack type hide. I will soon be making adjustments and turning that current needle in a haystack hide into a night cache where a UV (Black Light) will be required.

The whole reason for this thread, is that I can make changes to any current micro hide to make it better, and any micros in the future will be quality hides.

Since for me, I am partly about the numbers when I go geocaching sometimes. I will always have some caches for those numbers hunters. But just cause your a numbers hunter doesn't mean that they will be easy! :)

TGC

P.S. As a whole.... here is my take on micro's/nano's....

I too hate having to pull the log out and put the log back into nano's. Thank god for my "Pocket Leatherman" on being able to pull the log out. I have yet to come across a nano that wasn't placed on something man made. ie no nano's in the bushes etc... Most were well hidden and a nice challenge to find. Although some were hidden in a lame manner which made it good for those who want the "numbers". I do remember one nano, searced for 10 min, before I realized it was right in front of my face!

I haven't seen a problem (yet) with nano's leaking. Thats one nice thing.

Micro's... I for the most part like them. Just like with any other size cache though (Other than maybe nano's currently) there are some very bad containers. Sadly though, I do think that in general Micro sized containers hold the record for having the most "BAD" containers. ie 35mm film canisters as an example. I will say though, that I do not and will never use a 35mm film canister as a container for any cache I have allready hidden or will hide in the future.

Other than the occasional BAD container, most micros that I have come across have always met one of my 4 geocaching factors. I geocache for the "Numbers" factor, the "Search" factor & the "Where it takes me" factor, & the "Retrieve" factor.

I love all the feedback and the reponses that have been given in the thread. Thank you... keep it up. I want to hear more. I do enjoy placing a cache as much as I do finding one. Even when I place a cache for the "numbers" factor, I still try to make it at least a little challenging. I am also always looking for better ways to improve the caches.

So thanks! :)

Edited by texasgrillchef

The only time I don't like them is when they are in the woods.

ESPECIALLY if there is no hint.

When there are micros or nanos in the woods, there tends to be a lot of trashing of nature that occurs.

Some think it is OK to trash the woods, but I don't. I realize that we share the woods with many other groups of people who aren't cachers who like to enjoy the woods too. I think everyone of us has a responsibility to keep our playgrounds neat and clean for the next guy who wants to come play there. Whether it's caching, or just hiking through.

Yeah I would like to know too! LOL.... Honestly, some of my micro hides are specifically made for those who want to make "numbers" runs. Most however are not.

In any event, I would like to think I take great care in producing quality & well camoed Micros. Most are all painted with multi-tone paint to match the location it is being hidden in. I don't currently have any nano's, and the micros I do hide are all very clever containers. Or so I have been told many times. Some of my hides are MORE about the RETRIEVAL factor then they are about finding it. Eash to find, but you have to use your brain on how to succesfully retrieve it. (Check out my fishing series)

Except for one micro I have hidden none of them are needle in a haystack type hide. I will soon be making adjustments and turning that current needle in a haystack hide into a night cache where a UV (Black Light) will be required.

The whole reason for this thread, is that I can make changes to any current micro hide to make it better, and any micros in the future will be quality hides.

Since for me, I am partly about the numbers when I go geocaching sometimes. I will always have some caches for those numbers hunters. But just cause your a numbers hunter doesn't mean that they will be easy! :)

TGC

I too hate having to pull the log out and put the log back into nano's. Thank god for my "Pocket Leatherman" on being able to pull the log out. I have yet to come across a nano that wasn't placed on something man made. ie no nano's in the bushes etc... Most were well hidden and a nice challenge to find. Although some were hidden in a lame manner which made it good for those who want the "numbers". I do remember one nano, searced for 10 min, before I realized it was right in front of my face!

Micro's... I for the most part like them. Just like with any other size cache though (Other than maybe nano's currently) there are some very bad containers. Sadly though, I do think that in general Micro sized containers hold the record for having the most "BAD" containers. ie 35mm film canisters as an example. I will say though, that I do not and will never use a 35mm film canister as a container for any cache I have allready hidden or will hide in the future.

Other than the occasional BAD container, most micros that I have come across have always met one of my 4 geocaching factors. I geocache for the "Numbers" factor, the "Search" factor & the "Where it takes me" factor, & the "Retrieve" factor.

I love all the feedback and the reponses that have been given in the thread. Thank you... keep it up. I want to hear more. I do enjoy placing a cache as much as I do finding one. Even when I place a cache for the "numbers" factor, I still try to make it at least a little challenging. I am also always looking for better ways to improve the caches.

I typed up a reply to this post earlier but once again the system seems to have eaten it. Where do those posts go?

Anyway the gist of it was that I don't doubt that you hide some interesting caches. However, when someone says so&so or such&such is the best I'd like to know why? What is the special quality that sets so&so or such&such apart from the rest? Hell, I may want to copy it. Or bottle it and sell it for a profit if I can. :anibad:

I don't hate micros.... a good hunt is what I'm after regardless of size. The only hides I really dislike are the so-called "needle in a haystack" caches, especially when the owner is stingy with clues. I don't understand the motivation for making a cache almost impossible to find? If half or more of the people looking for a cache each DNF it multiple times, what's the fun in that?

We own several micro/nano caches that are often found, because they're near local motels, and geocachers passing through our area on business or vacation trips do seem to like being able to get some quick finds without a hike involved. I do find that we have to maintain those hides frequently because the logs get filled up. In our suburban area, we are somewhat limited in locations nearby that can hold larger cache types.

I like finding nanos or micros that are unusual, either in their placement or in a unique kind of container. I don't mind finding a cache in a shopping center or near a building in a busy area. Also, there are times when due to physical limitations, a cacher may only be able to look for those small 1/1 caches, so I'd hate to think that they weren't going to be placed anymore!

Like several others, I really enjoy creative micro/nano caches, but I think it all went wrong when geocaching turned commercial. I've grown increasingly tired of the cookie-cutter nano and micro containers. I show up to a site and know exactly what to look for. It takes much of the joy-of-the-hunt out of the sport. I can really tell when someone put a little thought into a cache as opposed to someone who cut all the corners.

Also, I really enjoy contributing to a cache. It makes me feel good to leave something cool behind to hopefully make someone's day (and I'm always tickled when someone does the same for me). A date and signature are pretty impersonal... almost like tagging.

As a relative newbie, I have mixed feelings. Most of mine have been nanos/micros in the woods. I hate the feeling of a needle in the haystack that I just can't find. I'll have the patience to keep looking, but my kids get tired of it after a few minutes especially knowing there's no "reward" coming. When I've cached on my own I've looked for quite some time and still been unable to find some. There's so much bounce on the GPS to begin with in the woods and when you're looking for a nano among the trees, it's pretty impossible.

On the other hand, I have enjoyed some of the nanos placed in rest stops and other locations. When we've traveled it's a great excuse to spend a few more minutes stretching my legs rather than hopping right back in the car.

Patti

I don't hate them all but I dislike many of them. Reasons include:

• The difficulty in retrieving and replacing logs on some micros and nearly all nanos is annoying.
  • Two of the most common bad (read: not waterproof) containers are micros (film cans & magnetic key cases).
  • Two of the most cliched cache locations (LPCs and guardrails) are micros. (To be fair, I think the other big cliche is "ammo can behind a tree", which is simple but is more likely to take you somewhere scenic than your average micro.)
  • Power trails are micros.
  • Urban micros are often placed in seemingly random locations with no real reason do be there.

IMO, there are two reasons to hide a cache:

1) to take someone to a place you think they should see but probably haven't (scenic and/or historic)

2) to show off a creative hide - container and/or hiding spot

Micros and nanos are usually neither.

Also, I really enjoy contributing to a cache. It makes me feel good to leave something cool behind to hopefully make someone's day (and I'm always tickled when someone does the same for me). A date and signature are pretty impersonal... almost like tagging.

This struck a chord with me. I too feel good about leaving something behind that I hope others might enjoy finding. I especially love getting emails from people who were pleased enough to thank me for what I left. That's probably why I never grow tired of swag size watertight containers. Give me any ammo can under a pile of sticks in the woods any day. Micros, which provide no opportunity for trading and no room for more then a trailname and date are, as you say, impersonal.

Edited by Lone R

TGC

I typed up a reply to this post earlier but once again the system seems to have eaten it. Where do those posts go?

Anyway the gist of it was that I don't doubt that you hide some interesting caches. However, when someone says so&so or such&such is the best I'd like to know why? What is the special quality that sets so&so or such&such apart from the rest? Hell, I may want to copy it. Or bottle it and sell it for a profit if I can. :anibad:

Oh I am sure you do. I didn't take any offense to it at all. I am curious as to why he has enjoyed them as well. Gives good insight as you say to repeat the positive parts of those caches.

TGC

BTW if I hadn't said before. I am not fond of 35mm cans either.

Edited by texasgrillchef