What do you take with you when you Geocache.

WindMoonRain

Hi, I am new to geocaching by a few weeks. I go out when the weather permits. But as it has been so cold I have spent my time researching and getting ready for warmer weather.

I want to get a pack together and I was just wondering what I should put in it. What are your favorite geocaching items you wouldn't want to leave home without.

Right now I have a TomTom that has the walking route enabled.

I have set up my Kindle so I can view the hints, posts and information about each location. (So I can go paperless)

I have a pen, some trinkets, and a notepad.

Is there anything else that you can't do without?

That kind of depends on what your going for. If your doing mostly rural caches then you need little more then what you already have. If your planning some caches out in the country side where you'll need to do a bit of hiking then there are some other items to consider.

One of the primary things i keep on me no matter where i cache is a film canister with a plastic grocery bag in it for any CITO opportunities i may see.

While in the woods i keep a folding saw on me. In case i see a nice stick or piece of fallen tree i would like to carve on later. I also have a hiking staff with me. A small first aid kit is also a good thing to have. A pair of leather gloves can be a good thing. Sometimes caches are in hollowed out tries or down gofer holes. You never know what might be down there. So the hiking stick comes in handy there as well. When i was using my car GPS for caching i found it handy to have a compass. In pedestrian mode the map stays fixed with north being up. SO the compass was handy in figuring out the direction i needed to head. Not i have a eTrex Legend H which gives me direction and distance. Since my new GPSr uses AA batteries i keep an extra set with me.

I'm still pretty new myself but keep adding to my geocache pack as I think of things or see useful suggestions on this forum.

The GPSr, A pen, an extra pen, extra set of AA batteries (alkalines for the backup since my rechargables deplete themselves over time), tweezers (for extracting logs from narrow micro caches), a multitool, digital camera, a trash bag, two pairs of latex gloves, a few copies of the geocaching brochure(have had to explain myself to the police already so figured having those would make it easier), and a few extra blank notepad pages for copying travel bug numbers or if I find a full logbook.

I've mostly been finding urban caches though I plan to go hiking for others at some point and will have a hiking pack ready for that with some food, water, first aid, matches, and the like.

Edited by Starkes

For urban and suburban caches all I usually have are my GPS, camera, some swag and hopefully I remember to bring a pencil

For hiking caches I bring everything I would take on a hike, meaning enough equipment to stay alive if I had to spend an unexpected night or two in the woods. Exactly what depends on the season.

Take a look at THIS THREAD Personally I think some of the se people have confused "Geocaching" with "Moving" but there are some good suggestions. A lot would depend on where you are going. A whole backpack full of stuff would be great on a three day hike into the mountains but would be totally wrong for a stroll down Main Street to find that micro on the corner.

Maybe that Main Street one should be a Fedora, dark glasses and a black trench coat so you can be "stealthy" :laughing:

Edited because I have dyslexic fingers

Edited by NicknPapa

I always bring water, no exceptions!

Pens

First aid kit

Snake bite kit

Flare

Flint

Matches

Fueled wood bits

Tin foil

Foil blanket

Whistle

Pepper spray

Mirror

Bells

Chap stick

Extra batteries

BlackBerry

Can opener

Rope

Tarp

Tea Candles

Bug spray

Calomine lotion

Swiss army knife

Wow....All useful but that quite a bit.

Where I live a good pair of leather gloves is a must, deer or goat skin ones are the best. I didn't have mine on a couple of months ago and I got stung by a scorpion and I have on many occasions been stuck by thorns. I have extra water, pens, batteries, a 1911A1 in the truck, and always carry a couple of extra geocache logs to replace ones that I find that are unreadable or that are missing. Also a coat hanger and or tweezers is sometimes very helpful. Hey seeker, you running away from home or going caching? ha ha ha.

Edited by kwhart

OK, i typically cache in the urban and rural areas, not in the woods

I typically have the car, so I take with me

GPSr

USB to Micro and mini usb cables

power inverter

netbook

blackberry

pens and pencils

hiking stick

I leave all but the GPSr, the blackberry, hiking stick and pens in the car in the car

When I first started caching, a CO of one of my first DNFs (and there were a lot of those LOL) :unsure: e-mailed me with some tips and pointers that really helped me out. I didnt put together everything he suggested, but its a pretty good list so I have pasted it here (I am sure the CO wont mind):

"If this is something that you think you'll be spending some serious time doing, I'd like to suggest setting up a cache bag. A small daypack that is smaller in both height and width that your back is what you're looking for. Quite often, you'll be bushwhacking to some degree. Let's face it, if you want to hide a cache, you won't be placing it 5-ft. off of the trail, you'll be headding into the nearby woods by 50 or 100 ft. if not more. Going through this type of brush with a smaller pack is easier to navigate that a full-sized one (which I used for the first year before figuring this out). In your bag, I'd suggest maknig sure you have spare barreries, a headlight (as opposed to a flashlight as it leaves your hands free if you're walking through the woods at dusk - available at Walmart for about $12), sometimes havinf a backup flashlight is good too. A decent digital camera is worth its weight in gold for a few reasons. One of course is to take pics of your adventures and some caches like earth caches and virtuals require you to post a pic of yourself to prove that you were there since there are no physical log books. But if you are doing a multi stage cache and are at WP3 and can't find it, gonig back to your camera and reviewing the last sets of coords will save you from going back to WP2 if you think you may have entered the coords wrong. Also, I have found clues that werw too hard to read at a distance, but using the zoom feature on a digital camera enabled me to see the numbers without having to climb the tree or bridge.

Bring zip log backs and a couple of notebooks to replace old logs or torn baggies so that everyone behind you can enjoy the game as well. Stock up on trade items at a couple of local dollar stores or at the Christmas Tree Shop. Some trade items I've run across were really neat and inexpensive. Bring a manual compass. Some caches require you to project a waypoint and comparing your GPS compass against an analogue one gives assurance you're headding n the right direction. Als, if your GPS goes down for some reason and you're dep in the woods a regular compass could suddenly become a godsend.

Finally, the best tip I can give yoy that you might not have thought up on your own is to get a telescopic hand held mirror (I got a set of two tools for $12 at Lowes but assume Home Depot has the same thing. One tool is a telescopic mirror and the other is a telescopic magnet) The mirror will allow you to see inside guard rails where bees often make nests without sticking your hand itself in. Also, there are times when checking high nooks and crannies is just so much easier with the 2 ft. extension this tool provides. I did a cache in a bridge ionce that you would never have found the location of the magnetic hide-a-key container without the mirror."

Happy Caching!

Wow these are all great ideas. Thanks.

I think I'll set up two packs. One for the longer hikes and one for a stroll or quick grab.

I have also noticed that it would have been handy if I had printed extra logs for some of the micro ones as the strips were full and it looks like the pen soaks through to the back.

I stood back today and let my family do the find, basically because I didn't have the gloves and I did not want to be the one to move the rocks. :) So gloves and a walking stick are a must take for any of my future country caches.

Where I live a good pair of leather gloves is a must, deer or goat skin ones are the best. I didn't have mine on a couple of months ago and I got stung by a scorpion and I have on many occasions been stuck by thorns. I have extra water, pens, batteries, a 1911A1 in the truck, and always carry a couple of extra geocache logs to replace ones that I find that are unreadable or that are missing. Also a coat hanger and or tweezers is sometimes very helpful. Hey seeker, you running away from home or going caching? ha ha ha.

Ha. It took me years to build up my survival kit from experiences I've had! I hiked pretty tough trails in Colorado when I lived there and just added some Florida related stuff to my kit.

Sounds like a lot I guess but it all fits easily into my day backpack! I like being prepared. Makes me feel safer. I cache alone in preserves and parks.

Don't forget a cell phone or radio so you can communicate. One important thing NOT to take with you is an approximate itinerary of where you will be and when you'll be back. Leave that with someone at home.

I think this is really important too! I tell my hubby where I'll be and I post the coordinates that I'm headed to on Facebook in case something happens.

Don't forget a cell phone or radio so you can communicate. One important thing NOT to take with you is an approximate itinerary of where you will be and when you'll be back. Leave that with someone at home.

I think this is really important too! I tell my hubby where I'll be and I post the coordinates that I'm headed to on Facebook in case something happens.

I think that's a good idea about facebook ony if you truly know the people you have as friends on there. Otherwise your telling people that you won't be home leaving your home open to be robbed which has really happened and also telling someone that you'll be out somewhere alone and leading a possible attacker right to you.

It's amazing what you can fit into a small backpack. I pretty much just take my cub scout pack that I made up after taking the baloo and owl courses they offer as it has the compass, gloves, water, paper, batteries, pen, garbage bag, ziplock bags,small first aide kit, and many other things and my hiking staff which has an emergeny blanket on it, matches in it, and rope and it's own compass and some other stuff as well.

In my bag I have pens and pencils, spare eneloop batteries for my GPSr and camera, my camera and water. The only other thing I carry is, of course, my GPSr. I plan to add things like spare plastic bags and stuff for cache maintenance in the future, though.

I don't carry a mobile phone or radio or anything with me when I'm out. I like it that way. Doesn't feel like I'm really "out" if I'm carrying a phone.

Left pocket: Two pens, a little cash

Right pocket: Small flashlight, pocket knife, BlackBerry

Coat pocket (assuming I'm wearing one): AA batteries

Hung around neck or in hand: GPS

Outta cover it unless you are on a mountain trek of several miles. Given that the bulk of caches around here are in urban locations or city parks, I don't think you stand much chance of being eaten by bears.

Oh yeah, the pens, cash, flashlight, pocket knife, and BB are with me even if I'm not caching.

I think that's a good idea about facebook ony if you truly know the people you have as friends on there. Otherwise your telling people that you won't be home leaving your home open to be robbed which has really happened and also telling someone that you'll be out somewhere alone and leading a possible attacker right to you.

It's amazing what you can fit into a small backpack. I pretty much just take my cub scout pack that I made up after taking the baloo and owl courses they offer as it has the compass, gloves, water, paper, batteries, pen, garbage bag, ziplock bags,small first aide kit, and many other things and my hiking staff which has an emergeny blanket on it, matches in it, and rope and it's own compass and some other stuff as well.

lol, yes, I know everyone on my Facebook. I'm not a teen! I have 40 people on it and 30 are family. I got feedback on my FB from them that said it was a good idea posting the coordinates so I'll keep doing that when I'm doing longer hikes!

I think letting people know where you are is one of the best survival techniques ever.

I only wish I'd stop losing pens...

A few years ago I emptied out my pack and photographed everything that I take along with me. This is my spring/fall/summer gear. In the winter I ditch the insect repellent and head net and add a thick fleece pullover, a down vest and an extra hat and gloves.

I also added a small, emergency bivy shelter that is in my pack at all times. I also no longer carry the PDA now that I have a paperless GPS.

Does it seem like a lot? Maybe, but I'd rather have something and not need it than need it and not have it. I want to be able to survive a night or two outdoors should

I get lost or break an ankle or whatever.

26f969a4-ed83-480a-810a-da08d1fccffd.jpg

Headnet? Yes, headnet!

You seldom need one of these, perhaps once or twice a year. But you'll be glad you have one when attacked by deer flies or horse flys. They can drive you absolutely batty!

In your first aid kit, take an antiseptic spray with pain reliever. Or, at least have it in your car. I've had painful or itching scratches from bushwacking adventures.

Take a REAL whistle, and a cell phone. Then, when you break your ankle geocaching, you can call for help rather than hobble a mile back to the car with an improvised crutch (like I did).

lol, yes, I know everyone on my Facebook. I'm not a teen! I have 40 people on it and 30 are family. I got feedback on my FB from them that said it was a good idea posting the coordinates so I'll keep doing that when I'm doing longer hikes!

I think letting people know where you are is one of the best survival techniques ever.

I only wish I'd stop losing pens...

Ever since I saw on the today show when they interviewed this lady whose house had gotten broken into and she saw on the her security camera and she recognized they guy from her friends list on facebook. And I play farmville so I do have some friends that I don't know real well so I just wanted you all to be safe!

Try putting a string on your pen and putting it around your neck. lol I'm always losing pens too!

That bug net is a great idea! Never thought of that!

A few years ago I emptied out my pack and photographed everything that I take along with me. This is my spring/fall/summer gear. In the winter I ditch the insect repellent and head net and add a thick fleece pullover, a down vest and an extra hat and gloves.

I also added a small, emergency bivy shelter that is in my pack at all times. I also no longer carry the PDA now that I have a paperless GPS.

Does it seem like a lot? Maybe, but I'd rather have something and not need it than need it and not have it. I want to be able to survive a night or two outdoors should

I get lost or break an ankle or whatever.

26f969a4-ed83-480a-810a-da08d1fccffd.jpg

This is awesome! I need to add a few of these.

Not sure if this was already said, but some folks recommend bringing stuff to repair damaged caches.

This depends upon the situation, but replacing a ruined (or non-existent) log with a new dry log is a nice thing to do for the owner sometimes.

This is an interesting video on the subject:

"headhardhat" on youtube is a great resource for geocaching questions...or just pure entertainment!

I always bring water, no exceptions!

Pens

First aid kit

Snake bite kit

Flare

Flint

Matches

Fueled wood bits

Tin foil

Foil blanket

Whistle

Pepper spray

Mirror

Bells

Chap stick

Extra batteries

BlackBerry

Can opener

Rope

Tarp

Tea Candles

Bug spray

Calomine lotion

Swiss army knife

Wow....All useful but that quite a bit.

thats funny all this stuff and said nothing about the 1911 kimber you should always have on you with alot of ammo