Skip the log sheet

MHCacher

It's been said over and over that posting nothing more than "TFTC" is disrespectful to the cache owner who took the time and made the effort to place a cache.

Not even bothering to open the cache and sign the log would be in the same category, no?

And then to log it as "found" online with nothing more than "TFTC"? C'mon.

Yes, you can play this game any way you like. But....the cache owner has the option to play the game his/her way. Deleting online "found it" logs when there is no corresponding entry in the physical log book is their prerogative.

Knowledge Books articles:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p....page&id=67

3.6. Log Book Etiquette

When you find a geocache, write the date of the visit, your username and the experience you had into the log book. You may want to share funny stories about your adventure, or tell about the condition of the cache and the area of the hide. Some people prefer to enter just their name into the log book. Others have special stamps, stickers or paper-punchers that leave signature marks in the pages.

Sometimes, for smaller cache containers, there is no book but only sheet. It is best to simply write your username and the date on these sheets.

From the Guidelines:

Logging of All Physical Caches

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed.

Cache Maintenance

The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

You "saw" a cache. You didn't open it. You didn't sign the logbook. You didn't "find it" according to the very basics of the game.

I disagree.

I have done a couple of 'power trail' routes, where the cacher used the same container, over and over. The logs did not come out easily. The only thing I had to try and remove the log was a large screwdriver. After seriously damaging the first few logs during exaction, I gave up, and just found and marked them off as found. The only thing I should have to bring to a cache is a pen. If I need tweezers, forceps, or other TOTT's to extract the log, I don't bother signing

Your way of playing the game doesn't appeal to me. If you posted a found log on one of my caches and stated what you did in your OP I would probably delete your log. And I have never deleted a log in almost seven years.

If I legitimately found it, didn't sign, and you delete my log, even after I prove that I have found it, I will return, and delete your cache. Very simple.

So far, I have only had to threaten this, not actually do.

Yes, yes, I know I am hostile, evil, should go away, not play the game, yada yada yada. Try and make me.

If I legitimately found it, didn't sign, and you delete my log, even after I prove that I have found it, I will return, and delete your cache. Very simple.

Yes, yes, I know I am hostile, evil, should go away, not play the game, yada yada yada. Try and make me.

Wow.

I have been going on long geocaching excursions lately, finding a dozen or more caches at a time. This morning for example, I found 17. By the end of the hike I wasn’t signing the log sheets anymore, and in most cases, I soon as I saw the cache I marked it as found and moved on to the next.

That is completely OK , and absolutely fine.

There is nothing wrong with it, as long as you don't create an online find log, and don't post in the forums either. :P:D

I have been going on long geocaching excursions lately, finding a dozen or more caches at a time. This morning for example, I found 17. By the end of the hike I wasn’t signing the log sheets anymore, and in most cases, I soon as I saw the cache I marked it as found and moved on to the next. The only time I’ve been open a cache anymore is if my 8 yr old is along to trade swag.

Anyone else skipping the log sheet?

why go the the effot of hiking for hours to find a bunch of caches if you are to lazy to open them and sign the logs. My guess is that you could not find them but want credit for finding them.

It's been said over and over that posting nothing more than "TFTC" is disrespectful to the cache owner who took the time and made the effort to place a cache.
That is the opinion of a few complainers, not a consensus of the community.

Umm, you have documentation for this? your opinion that it's "the opinion of a few complainers" is somehow a fact? :D

I do think we could collectively go easy on the OP here. We have a guy who joined a month or two ago, never posted to the forum before, probably never read it, and probably has never had a conversation with any aspect of Geocaching with anyone.

Besides, I'm much more offended by "delete my log, I'll delete your cache guy". Don't be that guy. :P

The difference in your examples and the OP's is that he actually found the caches.

No, he thinks he found the caches.

You've never found a cache that had one or more decoys in the vicinity of GZ? How does the OP know he found the cache and not a decoy if he doesn't open it?

Also, part of the challenge of some caches is figuring out how to retrieve or open them. If you just look at it and say "yep, there it is", you haven't really accomplished what the CO was expecting you to accomplish. You've just gone to a specific place on the planet & reported that you were there. That sounds more like Waymarking.

I have been going on long geocaching excursions lately, finding a dozen or more caches at a time. This morning for example, I found 17. By the end of the hike I wasn’t signing the log sheets anymore, and in most cases, I soon as I saw the cache I marked it as found and moved on to the next. The only time I’ve been open a cache anymore is if my 8 yr old is along to trade swag.

why go the the effot of hiking for hours to find a bunch of caches if you are to lazy to open them and sign the logs. My guess is that you could not find them but want credit for finding them.

My guess is that he enjoys hiking and finding caches more than he enjoys signing logs.

Wow.

I have to agree with him. Unless someone is really, really competing for top ranking then it's spiteful, mean, and petty to delete a log entry. If someone acts petty and then it's returned upon them they shouldn't be surprised.

Umm, you have documentation for this? your opinion that it's "the opinion of a few complainers" is somehow a fact? :D

Don't get mad. If you want documentation, all you have to do is pull up some of the threads on the topic. A few complainers does not a general consensus make.
The difference in your examples and the OP's is that he actually found the caches.

You've never found a cache that had one or more decoys in the vicinity of GZ? How does the OP know he found the cache and not a decoy if he doesn't open it?

Also, part of the challenge of some caches is figuring out how to retrieve or open them. If you just look at it and say "yep, there it is", you haven't really accomplished what the CO was expecting you to accomplish. You've just gone to a specific place on the planet & reported that you were there. That sounds more like Waymarking.

Every single cache I have found(except Virtuals, and Earthcaches) have been in my hand. That's my defination of a find. I play by rules. They might be my own, but they are rules.

" I have found your silly little tupperware in the woods. I will be amused, and challanged, if you have made it difficult to find. Therefore, I do not need to open it if I so choose. I hope you brought me to some place cool. I enjoy seeing or learning about our world. Let me be, and record the find as a record of my accomplishment."

I just read an article about Dave Ulmer, the founder of this game.

He rarely signs logs. Has numerous caches that he did not sign, nor log online. He uses a cache to access a place that he might not otherwise have visited. I sort of feel the same way. While I do open and sign 95% of the caches I find, I do not feel it is necessary, and resented a CO resisting my stated online log, that I did not sign.

We came to terms, which is all I can say I hope to do,if I find one of your hides and do not sign

Escomag

The issues that you brought up have already been addressed in this thread.

If a cache owner believes that the OP hasn't 'found' the cache, he is free to delete these logs. Alternatively, a cache owner could question the OP about what he 'found' to be sure that he didn't get fooled by a decoy.

Finally, owners of caches that are placed to be intentionally difficult to access are free to delete these online logs.

Have I mentioned that cache owners are free to delete 'find' logs made by people who didn't sign teh logbook?

I do think we could collectively go easy on the OP here. We have a guy who joined a month or two ago, never posted to the forum before, probably never read it, and probably has never had a conversation with any aspect of Geocaching with anyone.

Besides, I'm much more offended by "delete my log, I'll delete your cache guy". Don't be that guy. :P

Of course you are. But you are probably not going out this weekend to shoot ducks out of the sky either.

Don't get mad. If you want documentation, all you have to do is pull up some of the threads on the topic. A few complainers does not a general consensus make.

Actually, I hit the wrong smiley. I know one thing I could document, oh, a few hundred times. That would be Sbell111 stating his opinion as though fact. :P The forum does not a "community" make. I'll stop short of commissioning a scientific poll of cache owners though.

Of course you are. But you are probably not going out this weekend to shoot ducks out of the sky either.

No sir, can't say I am. Where I live, I could be shooting Deer in the woods with arrows, but I'm not doing that either. I think I'll scrape and paint.

No sir, can't say I am. Where I live, I could be shooting Deer in the woods with arrows, but I'm not doing that either. I think I'll scrape and paint.

[/quote

Good deal. I have my only deer harvests with a bow

Actually, I hit the wrong smiley. I know one thing I could document, oh, a few hundred times. That would be Sbell111 stating his opinion as though fact. :PThe forum does not a "community" make. I'll stop short of commissioning a scientific poll of cache owners though.

That was part of my point.

Interesting thread.

I did a team speed run a while back where we signed the outside of most of the smalls and micros we found with a Sharpie rather than take the time to dig out and sign the log sheet.

It was pretty much unanimously felt at that time that if you didn't sign the log sheet it wasn't a 'legal' find, so I didn't log any of them.

So now I sign the log sheet but rarely log them online.

If signing the cache isn't sufficient proof of a find then I don't see how not signing anything can now be considered a find! :D

Interesting thread.

I did a team speed run a while back where we signed the outside of most of the smalls and micros we found with a Sharpie rather than take the time to dig out and sign the log sheet.

It was pretty much unanimously felt at that time that if you didn't sign the log sheet it wasn't a 'legal' find, so I didn't log any of them.

If signing the cache isn't sufficient proof of a find then I don't see how not signing anything can now be considered a find! :D

Any more than the 38lb Stripped bass I caught in the Sacramento River, weighed, and just released back, with no pictures. My friends can believe me or not, but it did happen.

To me, finding a cache is like having a beer. If I don't open it up to get to the contents inside, the fun from the experience just isn't the same. :D
Your analogy doesn't work.

In geocaching, the object is to find the cache. At least for the OP, the act of 'finding' doesn't include signing the logbook.

In the sport of beer drinking, drinking the beer is the thing, so the container must be opened.

I've got a bottle of beer that has remained unopened for a couple of years. I bought two bottles of a beer called Samichlaus, a malt from Austrailia that at one time claimed to be the strongest beer in the world (14.1%). I found it pretty much undrinkable and haven't bothered opening the second. Perhaps, I'll open and drink it some late night and then log onto the Groundspeak forums and start posting away. That ought to be entertaining.

Interesting thread.

Any more than the 38lb Stripped bass I caught in the Sacramento River, weighed, and just released back, with no pictures. My friends can believe me or not, but it did happen.

I believe you. I was fishing out of a canoe in a slough very near the main river channel. Both of use were using 5 1/2' unltralight rods with 6lb test line. I landed and released a 9 pound striper. He caught one that was 32 pounds and 44" long. He kept is and we got a *lot* of fllets from that one.

Wow.

I have to agree with him. Unless someone is really, really competing for top ranking then it's spiteful, mean, and petty to delete a log entry. If someone acts petty and then it's returned upon them they shouldn't be surprised.

Similarly, if somebody is so petty that they feel theft/destruction of somebody else's cache is an equal and appropriate action to online log deletion, they shouldn't feel too surprised when the rest of their local caching community starts giving them the cold shoulder or their own caches come up missing.

Reap what you sow, and all that.

Interesting thread.

As I recall, some of the angst that befell you was due to your defacing the cache containers. :P

Wow! I'm really surprised at the negative responses.

Different people play the game differently. I can't speak for the original poster, but if he isn't concerned with signing the log, I would be surprised if he is concerned with the cache owner deleting an online log. The enjoyment may simply be the hunt for the cache.

I don't understand why this seems to upset some people.

Spoken like a true grasshopper.

Not all "grasshoppers" should be treated equal. I'm a "grasshopper" that follows the guidelines/rules, so please don't lump all of "us" together. Everyone here was once/is a "grasshopper" too, don't forget that.

in most cases, I soon as I saw the cache I marked it as found and moved on to the next. The only time I’ve been open a cache anymore is if my 8 yr old is along to trade swag.
If I were the CO, I'd be disappointed by this (and by the short online logs) but would be pleased to see that the cache was still in play. Obviously I'd prefer my caches to be found by tupperware-obsessed poets laureate, but if on occasion a normal walker passes by and tells me the cache is still there then I suppose I can cope.

Now what's this rubbish about grasshoppers?

Different people play the game differently. I can't speak for the original poster, but if he isn't concerned with signing the log, I would be surprised if he is concerned with the cache owner deleting an online log. The enjoyment may simply be the hunt for the cache.

Not all "grasshoppers" should be treated equal. I'm a "grasshopper" that follows the guidelines/rules, so please don't lump all of "us" together. Everyone here was once/is a "grasshopper" too, don't forget that.

I don't believe that jholly was insulting anyone with the comment. I believe that it was a Kung Fu reference that was used due to u.rusty's zenlike take on the issue.

Interesting thread.

A few things to note:

This is the OP FIRST post...seems it stirred the pot...makes me wonder if that was the intent?

If not, the OP has a wide variety of Opinions.

I also note the OP has hidden a single cache...a micro.

Given my number of finds and posts and hides, I likely would label myself as a grasshopper.

However, signing logs affects those "downstream."

Our team typically states things like "Wow, someone was here yesterday, or it's been over a month, or they must have been here this morning!" when we open the cache, sign the log and read the log.

No disrespect to those who want to play the game the way they want to, but signing the log does have an impact upon the others playing this game...not a big impact, but one nonetheless.

Once we hid our caches, we suddenly began to understand the value of reading logs with something more than TFTC.

To answer the question, if indeed it was a legitimate one, no, we do not skip logs, physical or otherwise.

We want to add to this endeavor not simply be a consumer, but each to their own.

Happy Geocaching! - hawkeyetob

Wow.

Similarly, if somebody is so petty that they feel theft/destruction of somebody else's cache is an equal and appropriate action to online log deletion, they shouldn't feel too surprised when the rest of their local caching community starts giving them the cold shoulder or their own caches come up missing.

No, they are not equal. The comment was that 'If' I was asked to return to sign, I would not be happy, and the event could go either way.

Let me clarify the case where I did this. I found the cache, and I could not figure how to get the thing open. It looked rather delicate, I replaced it as found, commenting online that I did not sign. So my log was deleted.

I guess I should have just posted, "I found your cache. Couldn't figure how the thing opened, so I used a big set of pliers, and a screwdriver. Got it open and signed log, but now its all twisted and busted. TFTC"

When I created my account for geocaching.com, I just picked a username that I typically use for all online accounts. I then went out on my first geocaching excursion with my girlfriend and found 5 caches. I signed the logs, but I did not sign it with my username. My username is strictly a username, and not my "name" and I'm not very used to signing my username on anything. Plus I didnt want my girlfriend to feel left out by signing my username only, and she certainly doesnt have her own username.

So what is the etiquette here? Will my found logs be deleted because my username here is not what I signed in the logs? And if it is the accepted etiquette to use usernames, how can I change mine so it relfects my girlfriend and I both?

I hope it's not going to entail creating a new account, I already paid for a premium membership...

I don't believe that jholly was insulting anyone with the comment. I believe that it was a Kung Fu reference that was used due to u.rusty's zenlike take on the issue.

:yikes: I hope you're right....but it could be easily interpreted otherwise. If that is the case I apologize for noting it. :huh:

When I created my account for geocaching.com, I just picked a username that I typically use for all online accounts. I then went out on my first geocaching excursion with my girlfriend and found 5 caches. I signed the logs, but I did not sign it with my username. My username is strictly a username, and not my "name" and I'm not very used to signing my username on anything. Plus I didnt want my girlfriend to feel left out by signing my username only, and she certainly doesnt have her own username.

So what is the etiquette here? Will my found logs be deleted because my username here is not what I signed in the logs? And if it is the accepted etiquette to use usernames, how can I change mine so it relfects my girlfriend and I both?

I hope it's not going to entail creating a new account, I already paid for a premium membership...

Bottom line, not matter what else you read: it's between you and the cache owner. I seriously doubt that most cache owners will quibble over how you signed the log or what name you put on the log. At one time our account name was one thing and we signed as another, we mentioned it in the online logs but I wouldn't sweat it.

The opinions expressed on the forums often represent the far extremes of the spectrum. I wouldn't worry about it.

You do understand it could go either way. A petty act followed by another petty act.

Plus how would anybody know who destroyed it?

Interesting thread.

You're okay. If questioned just tell them what name you put in there.

Often when caching with non-cachers I'll write their first name in the book should one day they decide to get their own account and want to claim the find for the cache.

If I sound like a robot, it is because I have to keep responding to the robo-puritans insisting that geocaching has a rule that in fact does not exist anywhere on the Geoaching.com website.

Not sure what a "robo-puritan" is, but I found this fact....

From http://www.geocaching.com/faq/default.aspx

What are the rules in Geocaching?

1. If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value.

2. Write about your find in the cache logbook.

3. Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.

These look like pretty simple rules to me....or am I missing something?

Edited by HuggyFamily

Wow.

I have been none to delete log entries in the past. One the recent logs I deleted read "I think I found what may have part of the cache so I am going to claim it as a find"

:yikes:

If I sound like a robot, it is because I have to keep responding to the robo-puritans insisting that geocaching has a rule that in fact does not exist anywhere on the Geoaching.com website.

1. If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value.

You didn't miss anything and that point has been made to Tozainamboku several times. Nothing you say will change his mind.

But, by that logic I am breaking the "rules" if:

- I just sign the log with my name instead of writing about my find in the logbook.

- I just log tftc on my online log.

If I get the container in my hands I consider that I have found the cache and will log it online. The vast majority of the time I sign the paper log, but on occasion I have not yet I don't consider that any less of a find, and neither have any of the affected cache owners.

Well, you can play however you like. I'm not really understanding why one would bother looking anyway, it sounds like just the hike to the spot would be enough to get the same level of enjoyment as this.

One thing I will point out is that this method really does not give anything back to the community that has put the game out there for you to play. Out of respect for those who have hidden Caches for you to find, sharing some of your experience either in the logbook or online is not much to ask. Despite all that, play how you like and don't be bothered by those players who try to force you to play how THEY like.

Not even bothering to open the cache and sign the log would be in the same category, no?

And then to log it as "found" online with nothing more than "TFTC"? C'mon.

Yes, you can play this game any way you like. But....the cache owner has the option to play the game his/her way. Deleting online "found it" logs when there is no corresponding entry in the physical log book is their prerogative.

Knowledge Books articles:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p....page&id=67

3.6. Log Book Etiquette

When you find a geocache, write the date of the visit, your username and the experience you had into the log book. You may want to share funny stories about your adventure, or tell about the condition of the cache and the area of the hide. Some people prefer to enter just their name into the log book. Others have special stamps, stickers or paper-punchers that leave signature marks in the pages.

Sometimes, for smaller cache containers, there is no book but only sheet. It is best to simply write your username and the date on these sheets.

From the Guidelines:

Logging of All Physical Caches

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed.

Cache Maintenance

The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

You "saw" a cache. You didn't open it. You didn't sign the logbook. You didn't "find it" according to the very basics of the game.

I disagree.

I have done a couple of 'power trail' routes, where the cacher used the same container, over and over. The logs did not come out easily. The only thing I had to try and remove the log was a large screwdriver. After seriously damaging the first few logs during exaction, I gave up, and just found and marked them off as found. The only thing I should have to bring to a cache is a pen. If I need tweezers, forceps, or other TOTT's to extract the log, I don't bother signing

Valid point

But, by that logic I am breaking the "rules" if:

- I just sign the log with my name instead of writing about my find in the logbook.

- I just log tftc on my online log.

If I get the container in my hands I consider that I have found the cache and will log it online. The vast majority of the time I sign the paper log, but on occasion I have not yet I don't consider that any less of a find, and neither have any of the affected cache owners.

Why do we always end up defending and arguing the exceptions? Did someone actually attack a frozen cache claimed a find log? Let's go beat up on the truly strict and the completely virtual loggers and cachers with trade restrictions. We might actually make some progress.

Yeah, you're missing a half-dozen different threads discussing this issue. Here's the most recent one for some fun reading. :yikes:

What it ALWAYS comes down to is that IT IS UP TO THE CACHE OWNER whether to allow the online log to stand or not. If the cache owner is fine with the finder not signing the log, then the log will stand. If the cache owner is NOT fine with it, then they are permitted to delete the log, BUT THEY ARE NOT REQUIRED TO. Toz is right.

What it ALWAYS comes down to is that IT IS UP TO THE CACHE OWNER whether to allow the online log to stand or not. If the cache owner is fine with the finder not signing the log, then the log will stand. If the cache owner is NOT fine with it, then they are permitted to delete the log, BUT THEY ARE NOT REQUIRED TO.

... except in those cases where the COs openly admit that they don't care whether you've signed the log or not and instead effectively turn the cache into a virtual cache, which isn't allowed (even if there is a real cache there). which proves this point wrong.

Edited by dfx

I'm missing something. I don't see the "do it in this order only" clause. I also don't see anything about what kind of log you're allowed to do under what conditions. If I saw the cache, I found it, thus a Found log (a newbie could be excepted to think).

Or look at it this way: if someone doesn't sign the log, they've broken Rule #2 of Geocaching. This is true regardless of whether they log a Found, DNF, a note, or nothing at all (in which case they've also broken Rule #3).

Edited by Dinoprophet
What it ALWAYS comes down to is that IT IS UP TO THE CACHE OWNER whether to allow the online log to stand or not. If the cache owner is fine with the finder not signing the log, then the log will stand. If the cache owner is NOT fine with it, then they are permitted to delete the log, BUT THEY ARE NOT REQUIRED TO.

... except in those cases where the COs openly admit that they don't care whether you've signed the log or not and instead effectively turn the cache into a virtual cache, which isn't allowed (even if there is a real cache there). which proves this point wrong.

Does Groundspeak actually delete any of the logs if that occurs?

I have the same issue as you. So far my husband and I have found 116 caches that we have logged as Team DnR. We have never had a problem and no one has even asked us about it. In our online logs we always put Team DnR at the end of our post so the CO can connect the written log to the online log. It wouldn't be a huge deal to us if people deleted our logs. We just like to have fun going to interesting places - finding and looking through the caches is just a cool bonus for us. In fact, we got into geocaching by accident when we stumbled across a cache while out on an ATV trail. But as some other people have said, it seems like most COs aren't real strict about logging requirements anyway.

Interesting thread.

If signing the cache isn't sufficient proof of a find then I don't see how not signing anything can now be considered a find! :yikes:

As I recall, some of the angst that befell you was due to your defacing the cache containers. :huh:

Actually that was trotted out in the forum as an objection and a few folks climbed aboard, but since we in fact did not in any way damage any cache and not a single cache owner made any objection or statement to that effect it was just bogus bellyaching by folks looking for a reason to criticize us. :laughing:

Re-litigating that debacle has nothing to do with today's debate over signing the log, however. :laughing: