How far have you travelled for a FTF from home?

Hi all,

I'm pretty new here, so this has probably been done in the past.

Just wondering what's the furthest a cache has been from their home when they were FTF?

although if you found one then moved house at a later date making the distance further, that doesn't count. Just the distance from your home at the time.

Just curious.I've not got any FTF yet so can't post mine :anicute:

Regards

CC

Our FTF's are mainly a long way from home

168.3mi GC2BDBA Bloodybush toll pillar

132.5mi GCXF10 Cairn to Cairn:Starter

318.4mi GCJWQY Dingle Dangle

269.7mi GC14QC5 Jac Jac's Island

However the record has to be held by tacanaman with a perfect FTF ie the FTF the first cache ever placed in a country which as he lives near to me was a mere 7904.6 miles away for him.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

Opportunity to put a plug out for a rather ambitious multi that was published last month.

Have a look at this ...... http://coord.info/GC2CX3C

The start co-ords are only about 0.5km from my work co-ords. The final find was 200km away by road ("by road" being important if you see what the theme of the cache is !).

FTF completed about 5 days after publication - I reckon at least 130km from my home co-ords, maybe a bit more.

30 miles as the crow flies.

40+ miles to drive

Published 13th,

Found 14th,

Second to find 15th

14/Jun/2006 by Bear and Ragged

Saw this one on Tuesday. Checked again on Wednesday lunchtime, still no finds logged. But we couldn't set off to look for it until late evening. It was a long time to hold our breath...

Lovely drive through the Northants countryside and villages to get near. Handy parking spot - with a Trig only a short walk away too.

Set off across the fields for a nice evening stroll. Found the clue easily enough - but a bit of an adrenaline rush when we saw two other people running through the fields towards the first clue. But they ran straight past it! Phew.

Found the spot and a quick rummage around soon revealed the cache - despite it being well hidden.

Opened the log book and - Yes - despite the lateness of the evening (9pm) we were the First to Find! Hard to believe no one else has been to look for this very pleasant cache yet.

Couldn't believe I got there before the locals!

I found one about 13 miles from home, but I was in Scotland when it was published so drove the 245 miles south, I rang home before my junction off and as it was not found carried on down and got it.

Also found one in Dumfries 150 miles from home, I drove up went to work and then found it in the evening, a third FTF was 202 miles from home but as I was in Edinburgh when it was published it was only 15 miles from my hotel.

My average FTF distance is around 12 miles.

I do almost all of my caching on a mountain bike so most of my FTFs are within a few miles of home. I've done a couple that were about 8 miles away that nobody else found for nearly a week...

Generally unless I get the email of a new cache during the afternoon at a time I can go right out for it I figure someone else will beat me to it. Where I live there are so many cachers and a few others who like to get FTFs, so I have to be pretty lucky to beat them all.

16334.7 km

this was Fraser Island Coloured Sands earthcache FTF and also Fraser Island Lake Mckenzie earthcachte FTF

We were in Australia on holiday (18daysummervacation for me ,37daysummervacation for the girls,lucky things!) and took a daytrip to the most fantastic location I have ever been to .No,honestly,I am not exaggerating.

As luck would have it,the two earthcaches were published reently and noone had logged them.

16334.7 km

this was Fraser Island Coloured Sands earthcache FTF and also Fraser Island Lake Mckenzie earthcachte FTF

We were in Australia on holiday (18daysummervacation for me ,37daysummervacation for the girls,lucky things!) and took a daytrip to the most fantastic location I have ever been to .No,honestly,I am not exaggerating.

As luck would have it,the two earthcaches were published reently and noone had logged them.

I doubt this one is going to get beaten! Well done 104dsv (as we know you round here)!

My humble efforts are:

Furthest from home - 309 miles: Cahermore (GC1FETP) in mainland Ireland. It was published when I was on an island off the West coast called Inishbofin. FTFing this involved waiting overnight, catching a ferry in the morning and maybe 2.5 hours driving.

Furthest when at home at time of publication - 159 miles: Ryders Hill Trig (GC2CX69) on Dartmoor. Puzzle solved at home. Cache found 9 days (I think) after publication. It still awaits the 2TF . . . It needs finding cos I left 2 trackables in it!

mj

16334.7 km

I doubt this one is going to get beaten! Well done 104dsv (as we know you round here)!

I can claim better: 16567.9km.

That's not the record, though; last time this was discussed, someone from the UK reported an FTF in New Zealand, which is either close to or just over 20000 km. (But, unlike me, they didn't have a 300-metre error in the coordinates.)

I've driven 20 miles for a FTF, not far considering it was a mile from the location of the appointment we had to attend.That appointment being 40 miles from home.

The reason I drove 20 miles, simple :yikes: . I drove 20 miles away from the cache :P due to a coordinate error on my part ( manually entering them into a etrex :) )

It wasn't until we crossed the Cheshire border into England, that the mistake was realised :D . So it was a U turn and a 20 mile drive back to get the FTF :P

Deci

I've driven 20 miles for a FTF, not far considering it was a mile from the location of the appointment we had to attend.That appointment being 40 miles from home.

The reason I drove 20 miles, simple :yikes: . I drove 20 miles away from the cache :P due to a coordinate error on my part ( manually entering them into a etrex :) )

It wasn't until we crossed the Cheshire border into England, that the mistake was realised :D . So it was a U turn and a 20 mile drive back to get the FTF :P

Deci

...it's easy for you; you can go for TFTF then publish the cache! ;):D