Should I post a needs archived?

Earlier today I went to find a cache that just got re-enabled after a long period of time due to poison sumac. I had already been there before while it was disabled to see how bad it was and when I saw the sumac I called it off. The problem was that when I went to search for it today (assuming all was fixed) there was still a bunch of sumac. I personally don't think it is safe for anyone to search for a cache that has poisonous plants anywhere near it. Should I post a needs archived or needs maintenance or just do nothing?

Should I post a needs archived or needs maintenance or just do nothing?

absolutely not

you could send the CO a polite message and suggest they add something about it in the description plus the "poisonous plants" attribute

that way people can make their own choice if they want to attempt it or not

there are many hazards that one can encounter while geocaching, snakes, poisonous plants, falling rocks etc, you can't expect to archive caches because of that

however, i do strongly believe that if it becomes known that such hazard exists it is reflected in the cache description and assigned proper attributes

Edited by t4e

While I agree that people should be forewarned about dangers and hazards, it's not a good idea to request a cache to be archived just because it's dangerous or inconvenient. Cache owners should avoid putting caches around poisonous plants but it's not a reason to have the cache archived.

By the way, not everyone is gets affected by sumac. Urushiol oil is ingredient in sumac, poison oak and poison ivy that causes rashes. I'm immune to the stuff for now. I have pulled out in poison oak from around caches with my bare hands and have yet to experience any rash.

No, it shouldn't be archived. Here in New England, caches that are covered in poison ivy will be easy pickings in the winter.

I'm pretty allergic to poison ivy and will skip caches like that and make a note to go back and do them in the winter.

Also wanted to mention that I've hidden caches in the spring or winter, and there was no signs of poison ivy, but when the summer logs start coming in, people complain about how much PI was in the area. If someone mentioned it, I'd change the cache page and put an attribute on the page. Now I'll usually put it on for any cache in the woods because depending on how someone gets there, there's always a chance they'll encounter some. Same with ticks. Just because I didn't see any doesn't mean there aren't any there.

Edited by Skippermark

Here's the thing. He already has the poison plants attribute. He didn't put it in the description though. And it's not just a little sumac. I'm talking about 4+ feet of it right off the trail. I look for a single way to not touch it and I can't find one so far. See:

I'm all for clearly stating what to expect on the approach, but did you have this conversation with the CO?

I found a cache that was smack in the middle of a field of poison ivy. I picked my way carefully through it, logged my find and mentioned it in my log, then washed thoroughly. There have been close to a hundred finds since I made mine. A few mentioned the poison ivy. Most made no mention. Some may have seen it and were not concerned and some might have been in for a surprise a few days after their find.

Despite my log and several others mentioning the PI, the owner hasn't added the attribute. Still no reason to archive.

Edited by briansnat

No. Just because you are bothered by poison plants doesn't mean the next cacher is. I eat peanut butter, eat shell fish, drink milk, and wade through PO but none of that affects me in a negative matter (except perhaps putting the pounds on). As long as that hide has the poison attribute I see no problems at all with the so-called danger. You've been warned.

No. Just because you are bothered by poison plants doesn't mean the next cacher is. I eat peanut butter, eat shell fish, drink milk, and wade through PO but none of that affects me in a negative matter (except perhaps putting the pounds on). As long as that hide has the poison attribute I see no problems at all with the so-called danger. You've been warned.

Hey! I'm lactose intolerant. I think we should ban all dairy caches.

Lucky you. Still, I'm just wondering if this is just a matter of talking to the CO.

Nonsense. Where would Signal get his ice cream? <_<

Edited by tozainamboku

Absolutely not, sure it sucks that a cache is in the middle of a poison sumac field, but finding the cache is up to your discretion. If you don't feel good about going in to the field than post a DNF and move on to the next cache.

I have encountered caches in poison ivy fields, thorn fields, etc. It was up to me to figure on whether or not that smiley meant a bad itching bout or a body full of scrapes. Many times I pass if I am not prepared for it, other times, i am well prepared and will go after the cache in the middle of a thorn field (I am not allergic to poison ivy).

That said, this game has its risks, and as long as the cache has its attributes or warnings then it is up to every individual to figure out how far they want to take themselves.

The one remark about this particular cache is perhaps ask the CO to actually write the warning in the cache description so you and others can read before you trek OR simply IGNORE this cache.

Nonsense. Where would Signal get his ice cream? <_<

Don't give me that malarkey! There is no dairy attribute. Either ban dairy caches or create an attribute. :anibad:

I'm not allergic to PI or sumac. I'd go right for it in shorts and not think twice.

I'd go for it but I'd take great care not to drag it onto the upholstery of the car. I'd wash my clothes myself when I got home and wouldn't mix them with other laundry. I don't know if my wife is sensitive to it but i do NOT want to find out by letting her wash my clothes. <_<

I'm not allergic to PI or sumac. I'd go right for it in shorts and not think twice.

ME TOO! Until last month!!! :anibad:

I NEVER worried about Poison Ivy. Never had a problem with it. :D

Then, about a month ago, my left hand began itching. Then there were several "mosquito bites" all lined up in a row. How strange. <_< In a couple days, the number of "mosquito bites" increased as did the itching. I asked my brother-in-law, a Conservation Officer with lots of field experience, to look at it. POISON IVY he said.

I was sure surprised. I did a lot of Google searches, and learned that some people get by for years before they finally have a reaction.

Now, I really watch for Poison Ivy. It sure is everywhere in Michigan.

But I'd never ask for a SBA, although I might mention exceptional amounts of it in my log.

Then, about a month ago, my left hand began itching. Then there were several "mosquito bites" all lined up in a row. How strange. <_< In a couple days, the number of "mosquito bites" increased as did the itching. I asked my brother-in-law, a Conservation Officer with lots of field experience, to look at it. POISON IVY he said.

I was sure surprised. I did a lot of Google searches, and learned that some people get by for years before they finally have a reaction.

But I'd never ask for a SBA, although I might mention exceptional amounts of it in my log.

Same here! I never started getting it until this year. Years ago, I think I would have had to make a salad out of it in order to get it, but started getting minor rashes from it this summer. Those hairy vines growing up trees (poison oak) are really bad news for some people I know...

Now, if I think I've come in contact with it, I try to wash up as soon as I can, and put the clothes I was wearing immediately into the washing machine instead of the hamper. My wife has picked it up from my daughter's jeans on a couple of occaisions, and she has very bad reactions from it. I'm the only one who drives my car, so I don't worry too much from it spreading from my car seats, but it's something I do think about...

For those of you that are convinnced that you don't get it - never say never... That could change... Feel blessed for now, but don't expose yourself unnecessarily to it. You could become sensitive to it over time, and it might be an accumulative thing?

Same thing here,, never had a case of the itchies (i use to could bathe in the stuff and not be affected) until about 4 years ago. It still doesn't bother me much these days but i will get an itch here and there when i play in the stuff.

It would be nice if the cache owner included some info about the hazard but like others have said, it's not required. The cache should not be put up for archival because of this!

Oh, goodness gracious! If you're allergic to poison ivy/oak/sumac, learn what it looks like and avoid it!

I'll put the attribute up, if I see the stuff. But, it's so common in New Jersey, I wouldn't bother mentioning it on the cache page. Same goes for roses, greenbriar, and abandoned mines.

I use the cow attribute for dangerous animals. I certainly hope no one puts an NA on one of my caches because they see a bear! We gots lots of bear here! Learn what it looks like, and avoid it. And stop complaining!

And all this time, I thought sumac was edible. Now you're telling me it's poison? This might explain my stomach problems.

Edible Sumac?

not the same as the poison sumac, there are many species and some are indeed toxic and some not

the toxic species look quite different from any of the edible wild species, care should be taken to assure a correct identification
Should I post a needs archived or needs maintenance or just do nothing?

My standards for posting a Needs Archived log:

1 ) Cache is in deplorable condition.

2 ) Cache owner is MIA.

3 ) The community is unwilling to maintain it.

While poison sumac might be something you are unwilling to go near, many folks with outdoors experience treat it as just another bit of Momma Nature.