My small town just got littered with Micros

redtech

:laughing:

This is what I get for being slow of course but $*#^%(#*(#%#$&. I was literally WEEKS away from this and he stole EVERY ONE of my locations.

Well, all except the one on my property, I guess I'd better hurry up with that one before he puts a micro in a roadsign across the street. It will be the only non-micro in town. :P

I don't really mind micros, really, but I was planning a group of several regular sized caches. :laughing:

I've cooled down a bit, and I can probably come up with a few more good places. *SIGH*

I'm most mad that he stole this really awesome walking bridge in the middle of nowhere.

I'll be kicking myself forever. I knew I shouldn't have waited this long.

How is this stealing and the CO's fault? I can see being upset if you were scoping out a spot or 2, but as you said you were weeks away from placing them.

Chalking it up to a learning experience, and when you are planning on placing a cache execute right away to ensure you got "your" spot.

For next time:

You can "reserve" a spot by creating an unpublished cache with a waypoint for a specific location. That will keep the spot for you.

Of course, if someone else tries to publish close by, you will be asked to publish or relinquish. But at least you will have an option.

Use this sparingly.

For next time:

You can "reserve" a spot by creating an unpublished cache with a waypoint for a specific location. That will keep the spot for you.

Of course, if someone else tries to publish close by, you will be asked to publish or relinquish. But at least you will have an option.

Use this sparingly.

Cool! I thought of a place other than my own property that I might do that for. I'm definetly going to get mine out this weekend before something else happens.

I've seen people place caches in places where I've previously thought would be a neat spot for a cache. When I go to find it, the hide is totally nothing like I would have done. But in the end, I just shrug it off and try to be thankful that someone took the time to place some caches for others to find.

Ten caches is not a lot. Must be a VERY small town.

Its actually a "village"

Population 600

yeah, its pretty small. We have a gas station... that's about it.

I bet you have to travel a bit to get to an unfound cache.... :P

So you post an entitlement thread to whine about 10 NEW caches that you were probably FTF on because YOU lacked the initiative to get the hides out first? :D

You probably also alienated the ONLY nearby person in your village that you have something in common with by posting this. WTG!

You've earned my Gift Horse. Look closely at his mouth. :laughing:

e0febc68-e3f4-494c-b911-bce624ec22fd.jpg

Ten caches is not a lot. Must be a VERY small town.

Its actually a "village"

Population 600

yeah, its pretty small. We have a gas station... that's about it.

I bet you have to travel a bit to get to an unfound cache.... :P

So you post an entitlement thread to whine about 10 NEW caches that you were probably FTF on because YOU lacked the initiative to get the hides out first? :D

You probably also alienated the ONLY nearby person in your village that you have something in common with by posting this. WTG!

You've earned my Gift Horse. Look closely at his mouth. :laughing:

e0febc68-e3f4-494c-b911-bce624ec22fd.jpg

Man you kiss that every morning. Thats dirty. :D

:laughing:

This is what I get for being slow of course but $*#^%(#*(#%#$&. I was literally WEEKS away from this and he stole EVERY ONE of my locations.

Well, all except the one on my property, I guess I'd better hurry up with that one before he puts a micro in a roadsign across the street. It will be the only non-micro in town. :P

Yeah, waiting almost three years to hide your first cache could be characterized as being slow...

How many WEEKS away were you?

I just HATE it when somebody STEALS a location from me that has clearly been reserved for me exclusively.

Let us know when you put out your regular sized cache...until then be happy you have ten new caches to find so near to your home place.

Don't let Snoogans get to you Redtech. Most of us can grasp the fact that you are just voicing your frustration. When you said "I'll be kicking myself forever. I knew I shouldn't have waited this long." it was obvious that you understand that it was not the other guys fault.

Thanks. don't worry, I realize that some people are only happy when berating strangers on the web. Whatever helps them sleep at night, I guess. :laughing:

I don't really mind micros, really, but I was planning a group of several regular sized caches. :laughing:

I've cooled down a bit, and I can probably come up with a few more good places. *SIGH*

I'm most mad that he stole this really awesome walking bridge in the middle of nowhere.

I know you're mad... but try to look at it this way, he likes the same nice spots that you do, and if you think of the caches in terms of the nice spots rather than the size, that may help you enjoy them better or at least feel better about him placing them.

I'm sure that you'll find some other nice spots, and you can place larger caches there, and perhaps inspire that person to hide more interesting containers when he hides more.

And don't forget, some people like micros! I don't mind them myself. I've decided that I don't want to place any more of them, but I don't mind finding them. Each cache is different to me even if the hide is the same kind as another that I've found.

Don't let Snoogans get to you Redtech. Most of us can grasp the fact that you are just voicing your frustration. When you said "I'll be kicking myself forever. I knew I shouldn't have waited this long." it was obvious that you understand that it was not the other guys fault.

Thanks. don't worry, I realize that some people are only happy when berating strangers on the web. Whatever helps them sleep at night, I guess. :laughing:

I actually found the new listings, but I'm probably just nosey. All micros, and all pretty much containing the phrase "grab and go" on the cache page. But hey, it's Southern Illinois, is there anything else? :P

The whole micro thing shouldn't be a factor at all really, and may or may not cause this thread to go off more angsty than it should. I realize your frustration in such a situation, but I guess it all boils down to "you snooze, you lose" on all the locations around town.

FWIW, I read this thread as a lament, not an accusation.

Keep an eye on the caches for a year or two. Maybe if you come up with a cool idea, the CO might be willing to archive one or two to let you place it. Maybe this is just the incentive you needed to get out there and find more good spots! :laughing:

Thanks. don't worry, I realize that some people are only happy when berating strangers on the web. Whatever helps them sleep at night, I guess. :P

It can be frustrating when someone puts out a log of new caches in locations where you were considering putting a cache. But that is no reason to accuse that person of stealing your locations. That person is another cacher, presumably in your village or nearby, who also wanted to hide caches. He simply got there first. You'll need to look elsewhere to hide some caches now. If you really have a good idea for cache in one of those locations you might try contacting that other person. Perhaps they can move one of their caches or even archive to make room for your idea.

It would be nice if you could trump a micro with a larger cache.

+1

It would be nice if caches that I like could trump the ones I think are lame. It would be nice if there were only vanilla ice cream because that's the kind I like :laughing:

I know you're mad... but try to look at it this way, he likes the same nice spots that you do, and if you think of the caches in terms of the nice spots rather than the size, that may help you enjoy them better or at least feel better about him placing them.

I'm sure that you'll find some other nice spots, and you can place larger caches there, and perhaps inspire that person to hide more interesting containers when he hides more.

And don't forget, some people like micros! I don't mind them myself. I've decided that I don't want to place any more of them, but I don't mind finding them. Each cache is different to me even if the hide is the same kind as another that I've found.

I wasn't as mad as I was frustrated at myself. After thinking about it for a while, I have come up with some other good spots. I'll use the containers I was preparing for those spots instead. I'll have to get permission from the land owners of course.

I know some people like micros. I usually don't mind them myself, but my kids get bored of them. That was my main drive to do my part in putting out more regular sized ones so others might do the same. I still intend to do that.

And the reason it took me so LONGGGGG as someone was asking is because I may have joined 3 years ago but I quit caching for about 2 years and only recently came back. I'm still very much a newbie even though I've been a "member" for a while. I thought everyone wanted newbies to have plenty of finds under their belt before they started throwing caches out?

(and no, I wasn't FTF on any of new micros in my area, haven't even got a smiley on em)

I wasn't as mad as I was frustrated at myself. After thinking about it for a while, I have come up with some other good spots. I'll use the containers I was preparing for those spots instead. I'll have to get permission from the land owners of course.

Oh I understand; and my intent was not to criticize you. I'm really glad that you found some other spots. I know how it goes when you live in a small town. We live in a slightly larger town, about 5,000 people; but there are not that many spots for caches right in the city limits.

We had this brilliant plan to put a cache at every spot on a walking tour put out by the historical society; got permission and everything, but because the three other caches in town were too close to some of the spots, we could only place 3 caches on the walking tour. It was a little disappointing, but we just had to find some other spots to place caches in town.

So I do understand, and I realize that you were coming from a place of venting frustration rather than actually berating the other cacher.

And the reason it took me so LONGGGGG as someone was asking is because I may have joined 3 years ago but I quit caching for about 2 years and only recently came back. I'm still very much a newbie even though I've been a "member" for a while. I thought everyone wanted newbies to have plenty of finds under their belt before they started throwing caches out?

I don't think you should feel guilty about this at all, I think it's just fine to wait until you're good and ready.

It's friday people - lighten up.

I used to hate it when I was a kid and would come home from school all excited about something, "mom mom today at school there was this kid" ---- "just one I thought there were 30 kids in your class".

Just ONE who ate a grasshopper, but hey thanks for taking this opportunity to be a smart biscuit instead of listening to my story.

people wonder why I lived with my dad

Whoa there Kemosabe. :D

YOU started this thread calling another cacher's contributions to the game "litter" and accusing them of theft of locations you hold no clear title to. How is that NOT berating them? :D Is that cacher a friend of yours or a stranger? :unsure:

I'll stand behind my posting record as being more positive than negative.

I don't hand those out willy nilly. :P

Pot_Meet_Kettle.jpg

Whoa there Kemosabe. :D

YOU started this thread calling another cacher's contributions to the game "litter" and accusing them of theft of locations you hold no clear title to. How is that NOT berating them? :D Is that cacher a friend of yours or a stranger? :unsure:

I'll stand behind my posting record as being more positive than negative.

I don't hand those out willy nilly. :P

Pot_Meet_Kettle.jpg

WOW!!! Not only did you get the gift horse, but you also got this fine piece of work. I have never gotten either of those from Snoogens, but I do have some of his smashed pennies.

WOW!!! Not only did you get the gift horse, but you also got this fine piece of work. I have never gotten either of those from Snoogens, but I do have some of his smashed pennies.

Maybe if you're lucky you'll get a repost of the "tree of angst" thread complete with bumping of said thread.

:rolleyes:

Naaa, This isn't Tree of Angst worthy. Just smug superior feelin' worthy. :)

It's friday people - lighten up.

I used to hate it when I was a kid and would come home from school all excited about something, "mom mom today at school there was this kid" ---- "just one I thought there were 30 kids in your class".

Just ONE who ate a grasshopper, but hey thanks for taking this opportunity to be a smart biscuit instead of listening to my story.

people wonder why I lived with my dad

Are we related? your mom sounds a lot like mine was.

Thanks. don't worry, I realize that some people are only happy when berating strangers on the web. Whatever helps them sleep at night, I guess. :)

I find these forums to a be a little hostile to noobs. But there are a few posters who actually try to help. Assuming GOF & Bacall is the same as the puppet guy, he seems pretty good.

I kick myself for mistakes all the time and I occasionally vent. It doesn't mean you're blaming someone else.

Thanks. don't worry, I realize that some people are only happy when berating strangers on the web. Whatever helps them sleep at night, I guess. :)

I find these forums to a be a little hostile to noobs. But there are a few posters who actually try to help. Assuming GOF & Bacall is the same as the puppet guy, he seems pretty good.

I kick myself for mistakes all the time and I occasionally vent. It doesn't mean you're blaming someone else.

Same guy. Thank you. I try. Not always with complete success. We're all human.

Best thing to do is to realise that your good taste in spots for cache placement was echoed by another cacher. My only hide was placed at a scenic rest stop, and I found out afterwards a few folks were thinking of placing caches there. It is frustrating, and I get the impression you are mad at yourself, not this fellow cacher.

It has happened to me too, and it was my fault for procrastinating.

Go and find these caches and have one to place with you for when you find that next perfect spot! Good Luck!

Ahh the forums...

I'm rather a brazen cacher. I'd probably write the other cacher a note saying how good it is to have someone out there hiding new caches- then I might mention if they thought they might be placing any larger caches that could hold swag because my kids enjoy finding the larger caches.