How many steps in a multi is too many?

It will of course depend on how fun/interesting the stages are. I recently found an 8 stage multi which was tons of fun..... there were lots of interesting hides, clues, etc.

No matter how good it is, a multi like that is likely to get found far less than if you did a series of 8 traditionals. A lot of finders will be put off by having to do that many stages for one "smiley".

The question to that would depend on the individual. While some people like long multi's others don't. Just keep in mind that as you add steps (and 8 is a lot) some people will ignore it. Why not make it two four step multi's.

It also depends on how the steps are done. I have a multi with about 8 steps but it is a driving tour and except for one stop and the final you don't have to leave your car.

Just make sure you adequately describe what is involved.

You could make it a three tier series with two groups of three traditionals, each of which could have codes that when put together will give them the two second level caches. That's your eight caches. Then, if you want, you could add the final, top level cache as a bonus. The coordinates for that one would be in the two second level caches (longitude in one and latitude in the other).

There is no limit on the number of stages in a multi-cache. There's a 45-stage multi-cache around here, and it's been found more than 100 times. Some people save it for a milestone find. Others just ignore it.

I've found a few multi-caches like the one you describe, with several stages that take seekers on a tour of an area. I enjoy caches like that, especially when they're well done.

How many steps are too many in a multi?

Turtle and I came up with a multi idea that A. brings people around our small town and B. has a video game theme.

To fit in the theme of the game, there would be 8 steps and a final. Is that too many? Would people get bored?

Opinions please.

I am not sure "get bored" is the correct term. Some cachers will simply ignore multis. Too much work for only one smiley. To each his own (or her own...). If you go ahead with this cache, be prepared to have very few people attempt the cache. Those that do it will probably enjoy it but your numbers will be small.

How about doing it as 8 separate caches as part of a series? That would get more people interested in it while still sending them on the journey you wish.

we have a multi with 10 stages, a combination of trail hikes and city driving to major landmarks, and some simple containers and some challenging ways of figuring out the next stage, goes in a nice loop to the final where a well stocked ammo can awaits, we figured we reward well those that attempt it

we had excellent feedback on it and 29 finds since april

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4e-43a8ffdedae2

Edited by t4e

There is a 14 stage multi GCW387 in my area that is almost a legend. It is along an orienteering course set up in a wilderness park. The final stage is a puzzle requiring info from each stage. It can easily take over eight hours to complete, and many people take two or more days. The cache owner is very helpful if you are having problems finding any of the stages and is very quick to to replace any of the 14 ammo cans that may need it. You can tell from the logs that everyone that completes this, loves it. I probably would not have considered wasting my time on it when I could have easily gotten 20 or more other caches in the same park. But, we were at an event in the park and there was a lot of talk about it. My wife wanted to try it. I spent the better part of two days on this multi with my family, and would happily accompany other geocaching friends on their quest, but only after finding a bunch of the others first.

I just placed an eight stage multi that takes people all around town to some historical spots. I have gotten some positive comments about it, but in over a month, only two people have found it (normally, a new cache would have 30-40 finds by now). I expect to only get a few finders a year on it. Ah, well, I love this multi and have been planning it almost since I started caching eight years ago, so I'm happy. :laughing:

Miss Veedol

I'm one of those who tend to avoid multis, and as the number of steps go up, the more I will avoid searching for that cache. This is a matter of personal preference, of course. I have the assumption that as the number of steps increase, the chances that there will be a problem with a stage increases exponentially. Even if the CO does a stellar job maintaining the cache and its stages, I would just prefer not to run the chance that I will spend a lot of time only to have a late step stage go missing and prevent me from completing the cache (especially in areas a bit removed from home). I much prefer that a series of traditional caches be placed instead of just stages. I have a small series near me that has six regular caches that contain clues to a final. Finding all in the series except for one and not getting the final would be frustrating, but less so than spending all day finding all but one stage and having nothing to log at all, other than a single DNF. But hey, enough about me. :laughing:

To answer your question, there is no limit to how many steps can be in multi-cache. Its up to your discretion.

I'd just like folks to tell me, up front, how many stages there are so I can decide if I have the time to do it. If I have a half an hour, a 7 stage multi just wouldn't fill the bill that day, but I might be interested another day when I have more time.

Quality maintenance is way important and the importance increases as the number of stops increases.