bees/wasps nests near caches

You retrieve a cache that is attached to a road sign, on a guardrail, in a pipe, or in a tree. When doing so, you notice a bee/wasp nest on the same object. Presumably you put a word of warning in your log.

If you Other than a warning in your log about the bees in your log.

When does the presence of a nest of stinging insects near a cache mean the cache should be removed?

Does anyone else think there should be an Attribute for "stinging insects"? People who are highly allergic might want to stay away and those that aren't would have a warning to be extra cautious. We do have attributes for snakes, poison ivy, and thorns...

It never means it should be removed. This is not a nanny sport. Each individual is responsible for being aware of his surroundings and taking the appropriate precautions.

Placing a note in the description is sufficient.

As to the attribute. i would bet that less than 10 percent of cachers even look at that.

You retrieve a cache that is attached to a road sign, on a guardrail, in a pipe, or in a tree. When doing so, you notice a bee/wasp nest on the same object. Presumably you put a word of warning in your log.

If you Other than a warning in your log about the bees in your log.

When does the presence of a nest of stinging insects near a cache mean the cache should be removed?

Does anyone else think there should be an Attribute for "stinging insects"? People who are highly allergic might want to stay away and those that aren't would have a warning to be extra cautious. We do have attributes for snakes, poison ivy, and thorns...

I like that attribute idea. As a cache owner of caches hidden in such places, I try to avoid placing them where I know such a nest exists. That being said...nature may run it's course around the cache.

If there is such a problem, definitely posting a warning is good temporarily. The owner should ultimately, if they want the cache to stick around, get some wasp spray. I just had a cache that a colony developed into and before I had a chance to do so, another finder was prepared and did the dirty deed. :grin::lol:

Not necessarily a cause for removal, but DEFINITELY a cause for concern.

These situations are usually temporary. I have one cache that has been out for close to 8 years. For 2 months out of its long life there were complaints about a yellow jacket nest within a few feet of it. The logs were warning enough.

At another cache that was published near my home most of the early finders complained about being attacked by yellow jackets. In the ensuing 2 years nobody has had an issue with them. Again the logs tell you about the current situation.

I've also found numerous caches where I was feeling around and to my temporary horror, touched an abandoned wasp nest.

Bees and wasps are everywhere. We all know that, especially those who are allergic to them, so I don't see a need for a specific attribute.

I was stung by a bee on Sunday during my Banner Weekend of Caching Misery.

Last summer I thought a cache was up a metal pipe. I reached in, and hauled out a very active wasp nest. The ensuing chase scene was like a cartoon; me sprinting down the trail with an arrow-shaped cloud of wasps hot on my heels.

Suck it up, be a man, cache on. Let's not start sticking Warnings on everything. Responsible people will be aware and take proper precautions. Unresponsible people can stay home.

This type of thing comes up quite often.

<snip -- long list of attribute requests>

It is fairly common knowledge that few pay attention to the posted attributes. Many more people read previous logs looking for hints, so... that just may be a good place to make note of it.

Temporary situations hardly call for a new attribute simply because they are temporary (AND, I believe the snake attribute should be trashcanned for that reason). Thorns, PI and the like will probably stay, no matter what we do to/about them.

I for one wouldn't mind that, as I am highly allergic to Bees and Wasps, that would require a nice hospital stay.

I will caveat that with saying that I often don't check the attributes, more often would hope the CO would take the appropriate actions if it were reported.

And, I am definitely not a Namby-Pamby, I am a grown up that will take risks, but I am quite disagreeable with hospitals, so knowing in advance will surely have me bypassing a cache.

That said, if it were my cache I would disable it until the situation sorts itself out and the invaders have left the area.

Edited by buttaskotch

It never means it should be removed. This is not a nanny sport. Each individual is responsible for being aware of his surroundings and taking the appropriate precautions.

Placing a note in the description is sufficient.

As to the attribute. i would bet that less than 10 percent of cachers even look at that.

one of my caches has a bee issue[i never see them when i check on it] but people mention it in their logs so i just put a bee warning in the desc. they can then choose to hunt it or not.

The majority of cachers are responsible people & will make the decision to go or not to go regardless of the situation. Put a note in your log & let it bee (sorry about that LOL). Many folks dont look at the attributes or even read the logs so.............

I found a cache that was at a small shop for wildlife stuff. The gal had a dozen birdhouses around, a bat house & all of the flowers were for butterflies, bees, birds & dragonflies. There were some logs (some of them nasty) about all of the bee's. Hello....you are at a location designed & landscape just for these creatures what did you expect. (not you personally but those that go, find the place engulfed with bees etc then complain).

Put it in your log & press on. Enjoy.

This type of thing comes up quite often.

<snip -- long list of attribute requests>

It is fairly common knowledge that few pay attention to the posted attributes. Many more people read previous logs looking for hints, so... that just may be a good place to make note of it.

Temporary situations hardly call for a new attribute simply because they are temporary (AND, I believe the snake attribute should be trashcanned for that reason). Thorns, PI and the like will probably stay, no matter what we do to/about them.

Perhaps the best way for attributes would be to be similar to the available hours attribute... 24/7 or NOT 24/7 which implies that one should check the cache page for details...

Simply have a 'possible hazard' attribute with NO 'no possible hazard' option. If it is there, look on the cache page for details either on the page or the log/note section (if intermittent). Forget the snake, poison ivy, etc. just make it 'possible hazard'. This might also leave room for other more important attributes, since display space appears limited (may just be the way I see it).

Just thinking a bit... I mean the bush in spring/summer/fall means bugs, poison xxx, etc. doesn't it? How much do we need to see before overloading.. I suspect thats why people don't really read them in the first place.

Doug 7rxc

If someone noted something like this on one of my caches, I would probably just add a note to the cache page. Then when the threat was gone again, I would just remove the note.

I like the placement of most of my caches, so I don't think I would go move one. Unless the problem was more permanent.

I always carry a can of wasp/bee spray in my truck. A while back, one of my hides was getting some yellow jacket complains, so I went over there and spray the tar out of it. Havent hear any complains since.

Killing off the local flora and fauna to make room for your cache might not be a great strategy.

I always carry a can of wasp/bee spray in my truck. A while back, one of my hides was getting some yellow jacket complains, so I went over there and spray the tar out of it. Havent hear any complains since.

Killing off the local flora and fauna to make room for your cache might not be a great strategy.

That really depends. Guardrail, pipe or sign post? no. Tree? perhaps.

I didn't see where Swineflew said it was in the wild.

Killing many yellow jackets does not go against my personal caching ethics at all.

If you have them living under your deck or balcony should they be allowed to live there?

Besides, who is to say they are local to the area. It is not uncommon for non-native species to migrate and set up nests.

Killing many yellow jackets does not go against my personal caching ethics at all.

If you have them living under your deck or balcony should they be allowed to live there?

Besides, who is to say they are local to the area. It is not uncommon for non-native species to migrate and set up nests.

Take note of the words "might not" in my original statement.

Whether or not the wasps are on a guardrail or a tree is irrelevant. What is relevant is who owns the property, and whether or not the cache owner has permission/authority to kill things on that property.

Is your deck or balcony subject to the geocaching guidelines? Mine isn't.

If the wasps are on your own property, or you've been authorized to get rid of them, great, spray away. But as a general strategy for geocache owners, spraying pesticides around is not a great plan.

Take note of the words "might not" in my original statement.

Whether or not the wasps are on a guardrail or a tree is irrelevant. What is relevant is who owns the property, and whether or not the cache owner has permission/authority to kill things on that property.

If the wasps are on your own property, or you've been authorized to get rid of them, great, spray away. But as a general strategy for geocache owners, spraying pesticides around is not a great plan.

According to you. And take note of my words "That really depends"

I personally think it's a fabulous idea and encourage anyone to kill as many bees and wasps as they see fit.

It is a good thing you aren't allowed to dictate the acceptable "general strategy for geocache owners".

Last I heard, bees and wasps were not protected species and there were no set times, seasons or locations you are allowed to kill them.

God forbid I slap a mosquito that lands on my arm while caching in a park. It might belong to the person that owns the property.

Edited by brslk

+1

I work as a satellite technician. You bet I carry wasp spray. If they are where I have to be to complete a job, sorry little guy, you gotta die. If I can do my work in a way that avoids them, I'd rather do that, though.

If I'm out caching and see some next to the cache, I will just wait for winter. I want to be there (not need), but they were there first.

I hear the cries of "not the same thing" already, but if you came upon a little fawn in the woods, and it happened to by lying on a geocache and just wouldn't budge, would you snap it's neck and dump the body to log a find?

If you are going to kill a wasp in the woods, at least don't waste it. I hear the Japanese like them fried.

I do like the idea of the "stinging insects" attribute. I read the attributes...

I personally think it's a fabulous idea and encourage anyone to kill as many bees and wasps as they see fit.

It is a good thing you aren't allowed to dictate the acceptable "general strategy for geocache owners".

Last I heard, bees and wasps were not protected species and there were no set times, seasons or locations you are allowed to kill them.

God forbid I slap a mosquito that lands on my arm while caching in a park. It might belong to the person that owns the property.

Using pesticides or herbicides on someone else's land without permission is not equivalent to hitting a mosquito that lands on your arm.

Geocaching is already banned in many places because of the perception that geocaching is destructive. Spraying chemicals around a cache to kill bugs and/or plants is obviously destructive.

If I personally caught a cache owner spraying pesticides in a conservation area, I wouldn't just report the cache to Groundspeak, I'd report the cache owner to the local authority.

Geez guys, lets not make a mountain out of a molehill. It was just a guard rail. No harm was done and plus the county spray ton herbicides along the road where this guard rail is. Not counting what the farmers do to the ditches.They spray a lot around here for the purity of the seed. Its all farm land around here.

I hear the cries of "not the same thing" already, but if you came upon a little fawn in the woods, and it happened to by lying on a geocache and just wouldn't budge, would you snap it's neck and dump the body to log a find?

Dang it, this is so tempting, but I just can't think of a suitable reply. Something involving a FTF race and grilled fawn.

Using pesticides or herbicides on someone else's land without permission is not equivalent to hitting a mosquito that lands on your arm.

Geocaching is already banned in many places because of the perception that geocaching is destructive. Spraying chemicals around a cache to kill bugs and/or plants is obviously destructive.

If I personally caught a cache owner spraying pesticides in a conservation area, I wouldn't just report the cache to Groundspeak, I'd report the cache owner to the local authority.

You have completely gone off the rails. Who mentioned a conservation area?

No one mentioned herbicides.

You have strayed far from the OP to justify your crazy own opinion.

Wow, just wow.

Edited by brslk

You have completely gone off the rails. Who mentioned a conservation area?

No one mentioned herbicides.

You have strayed far from the OP to justify your crazy own opinion.

Wow, just wow.

Wow Brslk,

There's no need to insult Narcissa just because you disagree with her. That's completely uncalled for in the forums.

I'd suggest you step back and re-think your position on this subject. Leave No Trace comes to mind.

~ Mitch ~