OK rules help me,

Funpersontj

Ok, I am clueless.... i need to find out how many caches i need b4 i can start hiding my own, i need to know the prerequisits that i have to hit..... so that i can start hiding my own series of caches... anyone please tell me what you can. And plz put up a handfull of links that show me where these rules would be located. Either way i just want to make sure that i am not cutting into any rules and that i am in the "clear" for my hiding and for my seeking lol.... best of luck funpersontj is out of here lol

Just in case you missed it - read the guidelines. Then read them again. When you are done - take the time to sit down and really read and understand them. If your proposed hide fits nicely into all of them - feel free to plant one no matter how many you have found.

Just in case you missed it - read the guidelines. Then read them again. When you are done - take the time to sit down and really read and understand them. If your proposed hide fits nicely into all of them - feel free to plant one no matter how many you have found.

ok so i dont have to sit there and find any set amount before i can start hiding, my friend told me that i had to find at least 30 before i could be able to start hiding them, i really dont know wats goin on with that, but i just want to start finding them and i want to strt hiding them all over sharon since there arnt any really good hides out here. but hey just clearifying things... and b4 you say it i already read through all the guidlines, like.... 100000 times in the last 3 or 4 days.

while there is no rule when you can start hiding, it will be wise to find more before you hide

i don't mean to sound harsh, but with only 5 finds under your belt, you are really not that "qualified" to judge what a "good" or "bad" cache is

also opinions vary, what may seem like a good one to you it may well not be next cacher's cup of tea

think quality over quantity

take the time and visit as many as you can before hiding anything, also be advised that being a cache owner comes with responsibility, you need to commit yourself at maintaining it, which is the reason that some don't even bother

Edited by t4e
...my friend told me that i had to find at least 30 before i could be able to start hiding them...
You're friend most likely wanted to avoid having to give you a complex, time-consuming explanation.

A lot of newbies hide a cache too early without enough caching experience and these hides aren't thought out as well as a cache hidden by a more experienced Geocacher is. The bottom line is there's no rule on how many caches you need to have found before you can hide you own, but you are encouraged to wait until you are fully familiar with Geocaching before you start hiding them.

You might want to read the forums quite a bit also.

There is a lot of good information in them on what is a good hide and what is a bad hide. With only 5 finds at this point you don't have a lot of information to go on.

So many newcomers make some really lousy hides, someone in my area did a series of caches to explain what bad hides are. She did not even touch on the subject though. The list of bad hides is huge.

She did a rock wall hide (awful), a micro in the woods hide (the woods end up getting trashed), and a few others.

I found a cache where the people (new to caching) thought they were so clever hiding the cache under a lamp post skirt. So many people have done that, most people hate those caches. There would be no way to know that if you are just starting.

Many cachers names are known for their caches. Some people are thought of quite highly because of their great cache hides.

There are others who are not thought of well because of their cache hides.

There is no way for you to know the difference after only 5 finds.

The other thing is there is a large amount of caches that get hidden by newcomers, then they get bored with the game and quit, leaving no one to maintain or transfer their caches.

Go out, have fun, find some more caches. When you get a better sense of the game, give us some good hides.

I am with the "find a few more before you hide" crew also. I had an idea of what I thought was a good idea about 20 finds in. Thanks goodness I didn't - it would have been embarrassing now. I used what I was finding as lessons in what to do, how to do it as well as, and scout out neat locations in areas where I could easily maintain the cache. I am planning hide #2. I owe some caching colleagues something devious....evil.....mwahahahaha....even devilish!

Thought I might add my own advice to the mix.

I have only found just over 100 caches, so, am pretty much classed as a newbie in a lot of respects, but, I have spent a lot of time learning what makes a good hide.

With this knowledge, I knew of a suitable location and went and checked out the area where I was planning on hiding my series, with this information I bought all the items I required - lock and lock boxes, notepads, pencils, trinkets - and placed my caches, even after doing all that work, I had to go back and do maintenance on them as the coordinates was out on a few locations, but, thankfully, I can easily get to the caches and do any work on them if it is needed.

So, do as much research as possible, a lot of geocachers appreciate it when effort and work is put into any hides that are placed.

ok so i dont have to sit there and find any set amount before i can start hiding, my friend told me that i had to find at least 30 before i could be able to start hiding them, i really dont know wats goin on with that, but i just want to start finding them and i want to strt hiding them all over sharon since there arnt any really good hides out here. but hey just clearifying things... and b4 you say it i already read through all the guidlines, like.... 100000 times in the last 3 or 4 days.

Your friend is incorrect. While some cachers believe that you should find a bunch before hiding one, if you understand the guidelines and feel you are ready, go right ahead. This might also be helpful.

Edited by briansnat

I don't really think that more experience in any way correlates to the 'quality' of a hide.

I hid 1 after finding 1. Its still there 8+ years later.

I agree,but, I think it would very preson to person, and if they did their homework or not. I have only been caching about three months with only 30 finds and no hides. I was very excited at first to rush out and hide my first "near a playground by my house :) ". I am glag I did lots of reading, asked a few questions and got a few finds before making my decision to hide. I have no hide yet, but have been carefully working on my first for the past two weeks. Getting permission, choosing a great location, and talking with a local town historian, so I have a nice story to go with the cache and location. My three months of experience has taught me to carefully think it through. I want my cache to be a quality cache, that will be memorable for those who seek it. :D

Good luck with you first, make it worth the effort, one you will be proud of, and one others will enjoy finding. :)

Some of my favorites were hidden by noobs. One I remember in particular took me to a cool rock formation in the middle of nowhere in the forest; you'd never have found it sticking to the trails. But he was a local who had grown up messing around in that park. I don't think he stayed with the game after making his hide, either.

Of course, some really awful caches are hidden by noobs also :)

Ok, I am clueless.... i need to find out how many caches i need b4 i can start hiding my own, i need to know the prerequisits that i have to hit..... so that i can start hiding my own series of caches... anyone please tell me what you can. And plz put up a handfull of links that show me where these rules would be located. Either way i just want to make sure that i am not cutting into any rules and that i am in the "clear" for my hiding and for my seeking lol.... best of luck funpersontj is out of here lol

I'd have to say wait and find a few more before placing and don't place with an iPhone. You mentioned your friend was a geocacher? Why don't you use his GPSr if he has one and ask him/her what they think about the hide. Some hides suck and some are great. It look me a few hides and quite a few finds to really pinpoint what separates the so-so caches from the great ones.

Best of luck to your future in the sport!

I've found caches hidden by folks that had fewer Finds than you that I thought were brilliant. I've found caches hidden by folks with hundreds, if not thousands of Finds that I thought were a waste of time. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The only requirement, as I see it, is to have fun.

Oh! and don't forget to read the Guidelines :)

It was stated several times to really take the time to figure out the game before making a hide. I'm very new to the game, and placed a cache on day 2 with only 7 finds under my belt. I guess the reason I made one so soon, was because I felt that all but one took less then 5 min. to find. None of them were very large, the biggest one was a peanut jar. We looked for a ammo can and it had been muggled. (I think thats the right lingo for stolen) I wanted to see one in the area that was big. I even tried to stuff a ice fishing pole in it for swag, but it wouldn't fit! I'm now looking at building a couple caches out of 6" PVC pipe with a threaded cap on the end. These will not be PG's by any means, and I might place them where they could fall into a paddle cache or hike of a 1/4 to 1/2 mile. This should keep the cache in a safe enough location to where it wouldn't be stolen to easy. I've been trying to find out/read about a underwater cache or at least one that would require a person to get wet to get to it.

I have a couple routes I'm looking at to get back out and do some more finding, but it's looking like 75% of the caches in the area are PG Micros/Roaches. That might be what some people want to do, but I guess I'd like to see more remote caches of larger size myself. I think there are enough PG's in the area for now.

It was stated several times to really take the time to figure out the game before making a hide. I'm very new to the game, and placed a cache on day 2 with only 7 finds under my belt. I guess the reason I made one so soon, was because I felt that all but one took less then 5 min. to find. None of them were very large, the biggest one was a peanut jar. We looked for a ammo can and it had been muggled. (I think thats the right lingo for stolen) I wanted to see one in the area that was big. I even tried to stuff a ice fishing pole in it for swag, but it wouldn't fit! I'm now looking at building a couple caches out of 6" PVC pipe with a threaded cap on the end. These will not be PG's by any means, and I might place them where they could fall into a paddle cache or hike of a 1/4 to 1/2 mile. This should keep the cache in a safe enough location to where it wouldn't be stolen to easy. I've been trying to find out/read about a underwater cache or at least one that would require a person to get wet to get to it.

I have a couple routes I'm looking at to get back out and do some more finding, but it's looking like 75% of the caches in the area are PG Micros/Roaches. That might be what some people want to do, but I guess I'd like to see more remote caches of larger size myself. I think there are enough PG's in the area for now.

Lots of wonderfual caches across your state that are not P&Gs - we vacationed up that way and very much enjoyed the state park series: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/geo...fari/index.html

Hoping to help a little here...

PVC threaded pipes (usually) make for lower quality caches.

1. They do not keep water from making its way into the cache (seems like the would, but they don't).

2. Threaded PVC most always becomes difficult for end-cap removal at some point.

3. Such set-ups usually end up looking as pipe-bombs to somebody.

Best containers are usually ammo cans, 2nd best are Lock & Lock® containers.

Good luck. Glad to see somebody making caches other than Park & Grabs! :)

Thanks for the help and the tips. My plans for the PVC pipe are to have a protected container to place another container (the cache itself) inside of it. I was thinking of anchoring it into a river bank about 5 foot above the flood line. And if it works out as planned, it will hold a fishing pole and a small tackle pack for cachers to take a few casts if they forget their pole at home. :) Of course the threaded cap end will have a small tool hanging from it to help get it opend and closed. :D

I've found caches hidden by folks that had fewer Finds than you that I thought were brilliant. I've found caches hidden by folks with hundreds, if not thousands of Finds that I thought were a waste of time. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The only requirement, as I see it, is to have fun.

Oh! and don't forget to read the Guidelines :)

There are, of course, always exceptions to any rule of thumb. I will agree with what you said, BUT... In general newbies do not hide caches as well as more experienced cachers.

I'm one of those people who think that if you feel ready to hide you should. But yes, read the guidelines, the forums, talk to other cachers, and really consider the place you want to hide it. Think about why you want to bring others there, will they enjoy it? What would make your hide memorable for them :)

Well seeing as so many people feel the whole time is a asset thing, i agree that waiting is best, however i have been working on this trap lock box thing for about 2 months now... i thought i would never find another use for it untill i started caching, i dont care how odvious it is at the find but to get into it is the challange, i mean i will be hiding it.... however i hope you are very smart to get into this most of my teachers cant figure out this box, however at the end of the series it is rewarding bc i am putting 5 dollars in the end of the series... is a reward for the challange... but i want to get good at hiding so that people can have fun looking before getting way mad at trying to get into my little creation. Thank you for all the advice it has all been really helpful, but any suggestions on hiding spots plz suggest away, examples and what not bc alot of the ones out here in sharon are okay at best, but hides like dedicated to my mom are hard to come by, those are really good... the ones in sharon are really easy, if not destroyed or missing..... Just a little word of advice bc what i got from sharon by now is about as good as it is really going to get.... (just bc i only found so little myself, i have covered at least 30 with my friend... just wasnt a member to log them) so i have more exp. than most want to give me lol thanx for the words.

Thanks for the help and the tips. My plans for the PVC pipe are to have a protected container to place another container (the cache itself) inside of it. I was thinking of anchoring it into a river bank about 5 foot above the flood line. And if it works out as planned, it will hold a fishing pole and a small tackle pack for cachers to take a few casts if they forget their pole at home. :anicute: Of course the threaded cap end will have a small tool hanging from it to help get it opend and closed. :P

Just be carefull of fishing tackle in a cache, kids sometimes rummage through caches. A fish hook in the hand is not a fun day ;)

Just be carefull of fishing tackle in a cache, kids sometimes rummage through caches. A fish hook in the hand is not a fun day :anicute:

All of the hooks I place in caches are kind of becoming my signature card even tho I've only been to 8 hides and a few of those were too small to leave anything behind for swag. The hooks are new, and in a sealed package ... I let my 2 year old play with them in the car. Nothing to worry about my friend ;)

I hid my first when I had about 100 finds. It's my best hide so far.

One of my other hides is a park and grab micro - not particularly challenging. Another is a regular in the woods, but near a place where it's frequently - shall we say - re-appropriated by non-cachers (I'll probably end up archiving that one soon). My other two caches are ones that I adopted.

I hid my first when I had about 100 finds. It's my best hide so far.

One of my other hides is a park and grab micro - not particularly challenging. Another is a regular in the woods, but near a place where it's frequently - shall we say - re-appropriated by non-cachers (I'll probably end up archiving that one soon). My other two caches are ones that I adopted.

yes i am sick of non-cachers moving caches, i see police picking them up thinking they are garbage, i stopped on the other day when i went for ramp it up... he found it and was trying to take it till i showed him what it was. either way there are a few missing around sharon idk but i think that i will prolly wait for some wicked ideas, my box is only one part of the challange, anyone got any ideas for hiding a 5 inch by 5 inch box that is almost impossible to open, the entire thing is ducttape colored with a duller sheen to it, idk.... i want to kinda bury it in gravel.

Another thing to think about is the location you are planning on hiding something. There are plenty of caches hidden under lamp skirts in random parking lots, but these are boring and pretty much pointless. One of the best things about geocaching is finding something on your home turf that you didn't know was there, such as finding a cool little park a few streets down, a nice view on an otherwise normal looking hill or mountain or some neat urban artwork. Yeah you could hide an altoids tin under a pile of rocks in a Wal mart parking lot, but what's the point? Also, make sure that the cache is somewhat waterproof and not prone to rust. I've found several with soaked log books, and one that was completely rusted through. Hope this helps

my box is only one part of the challange, anyone got any ideas for hiding a 5 inch by 5 inch box that is almost impossible to open, the entire thing is ducttape colored with a duller sheen to it, idk.... i want to kinda bury it in gravel.

Your comments about a challenge to open the box concern me a bit. If it is that difficult to figure out how to open, it will likely get destroyed. Others may disagree, but once I finally locate a cache, I don't want to miss out on being able to log it because I can't open the thing. Some may resort to simply hacking it open instead. Rather than making the box difficult to open, consider making it a challenge to find instead.

One of the things that I read somewhere when I first started caching way back in '02 was this: Just because you "can" place a cache somewhere, doesn't mean you "should" place a cache there. In other words, take me to a location that I would enjoy even if there was no cache there to find. A great view, an unknown jewel of a park, a unique natural formation, an interesting historical spot...Show me something, teach me something, make me smile. Make me glad I came, even if someone has muggled your cache. To me, that is the most valuable "guideline" to cache placement. If you can do that, you will have placed a "successful" cache.

Edited by 4x4van

I second that whole notion of placing a cache somewhere with some significance (historical, beauty, uniqueness...etc.). We have a bike trail in the area and it seems as though everyone decided it was a good idea to place caches on this thing and realistically it runs next to the highway mostly and aside from a historical point here and there there's not much on it to look at or enjoy but it's easy to place stuff on so people do.

I would be semi-patient if I got to a cache with a difficult to open box, but not entirely patient. And like I did with the rusted ammo can I had to fight with would probably resort to manhandling it to get in thinking the cache was somehow "broken" or weathered badly. I don't gain much entertainment with having to fight with a box to sign a paper log basically, even less so if it's in a place that is not particularly engaging (middle of a gravel pit etc.).

My suggestion would be that if you don't know where you want to hide the cache or how you want to hide it, it's probably not ready to be hidden. Part of the fun and work of cache hiding is working through all the problems of environment and location.