Grub Grab cache's

-Ako-

I placed a series of caches called ‘Grub Grab’ that are placed near to a place that you can grab some food and a cache. I have had mixed views from local cachers about the series. Some like the idea (and have placed their own caches) and some don’t like the type of locations. There are lots of caches all over the world near to places that you can get food, but I placed these caches with a common name and logo so they can be instantly recognised just like the ‘side tracked ’ series.

What do you think about the Grub Grab series....... Good or Bad idea?

Would you place a Grub Grab cache?

Some examples: (GC1Y805) (GC1YQX1) (GC23QTE) (GC23HVQ) (GC25E13)

i see nothing wrong with your series

there are actually a lot of people that make a "themed" series

as for the few bad comments, just think of it that you can't never please everyone, no matter what you do

so my advice is not to take it to heart

EDIT: anything around a fish'n chips place? :blink:

Edited by t4e

The only ways I'm going to place a cache on purpose near a manufactured food acquisition location are...

I did not walk far enough past the planned location of my cache to know that it is there.

The name of the place is worthy enough to play with, and I'm not talking about something like Relish The Food getting a cache called Relish The Cache.

Near an apple tree, sure.

Patch of wild asparagus, yup.

Cattails, mmmmm.

Natural food locations.

I placed a series of caches called ‘Grub Grab’ that are placed near to a place that you can grab some food and a cache. I have had mixed views from local cachers about the series. Some like the idea (and have placed their own caches) and some don’t like the type of locations. There are lots of caches all over the world near to places that you can get food, but I placed these caches with a common name and logo so they can be instantly recognised just like the ‘side tracked ’ series.

I have commented on caches like this in the past, and to me they fall under a type of cache I've described as a "contrived theme". I've seen lots of other caches which follow a theme such as cache which are placed in nearby pharmacies ("drug wars" caches), Caches on the property of chain donut/breakfast food stores, "Always" caches that are placed near *mart stores, etc. Sure, they get lots of others that'll place a cache which follows the theme, but that's because there are a lot of COs with little imagination, and will see a location which follows the theme, therefore justifying to themselves that a cache should be placed at that location. Much more often than not, the hide is unimaginative, the container is a micro and the location itself doesn't offer anything more than it happens to be located in a spot which copies some contrived theme.

That said, there's nothing wrong with creating a theme, but don't just create a theme as an excuse to place a cache.

The only ways I'm going to place a cache on purpose near a manufactured food acquisition location are...

I did not walk far enough past the planned location of my cache to know that it is there.

The name of the place is worthy enough to play with, and I'm not talking about something like Relish The Food getting a cache called Relish The Cache.

Cattails, mmmmm.

Natural food locations.

How about places to dig for grubs??

Cattails, mmmmm.

Natural food locations.

How about places to dig for grubs??

Nope!

Somebody would yell "GUIDELINE VIOLATION!"

But if you roast 'em till they are dry, they are almost tolerable. I ain't seeking them out again unless in a desperate survival situation especially when there are foods that are easier to get over the prejudices.

It is safer to not eat a perfectly safe food than it is to lose bile.

Scarlet sumac, Japanese knotweed, American mandrake, Milkweed, Fairy spuds.

Ya know, I should do a themed series "Stalking the Wild Asparagus"

Good or bad idea? I have no freaking clue. Sometimes I look at a U.K. cache page, and it's as if we don't even speak the same language. :rolleyes: If this series was in North America, there would probably be 100 of them, and they would be tossed into the shrubbery in front of Burger King. :laughing: But you only have 6 of them, and only one placed within the last 6 months. What sort of mixed views are you getting from the blokes over there?

I think it's a good idea for you, if you like that kind of hide. Personally, I find nothing interesting about yet another fast food joint, so I'd probably pass on hunting them. I really don't need a cache to help me find grub. On my radar, it would appear as just another mindless, copy/paste park & grab. That being said, you'd likely never have heard my opinion if you hadn't specifically asked for it, as I would be too busy hunting the types of caches that I enjoy to waste time on those types I don't.

Hide what you like. Hunt what you like. Everybody goes home happy. :laughing:

Honestly, you will get a wide variety of comments either way. You are going to get a lot of folks disagreeing with "urban" hides.

Some are going to call them lame, contrived or a bad idea. Others will think they are cool.

If someone doesn't like the cache all they have to do is hit "ignore."

What matters is what you like and want to do and if reviewer approves them. End of Story.

That said, there's nothing wrong with creating a theme, but don't just create a theme as an excuse to place a cache.

There goes my idea for a cache and dash series at Adult Book stores from Ithaca to Lowman :laughing:

I think there's only one adult book store in Ithaca. You'd run into proximity issues if you tried to place a cache near it as there is already a cache close by.

I gotta finish solving your latest puzzle cache as I may be heading your way to pick up my luggage at ELM. However, I think it probably still somewhere between Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and Nairobi, Kenya.

had a quick peek, and was susprised it wasn't themed with food types, I kinda expected to find 'indian' pizza' 'chinese' 'kebabs' etc etc, that be grand for someone from out of town. I know if i was in the neighbourhood and hungry and saw lets say : 'Grub Grab - Kebab anyone?' I could be tempted If I fancied it :laughing:

But all in all a good idea, today saw published the first of a 'real ale' themed series, bringing the attention to country pubs etc. Similar idea.

I like themed series, always good fun to do 'something else'.

As mentioned before, you cannot please everyone, so just keep on doing em :rolleyes:

The question should be: do you as a CO like the cache you placed?

There will always be other cachers who like your caches and others who don't like them. Some like micro's, others hate them. Some like long hikes, others don't. Some like difficult riddles, others get sleeples nights (I know that from expirience based upon response on some of my caches). Everybody can make it's own choice weather or not to search for your caches. If they don't like them they can put them on the Ignore list.

Lucky enough everybody has it's own idea's regarding placing caches. Therefore you will also see a huge variation of caches and new idea's are developed.

Would I go out to look for these caches? No, most likely not. I will search for them when I drive by, but it's not my favorite. Should you care? No, not really.

Yellow card for misuse of a possessive apostrophe in the topic title. *

* Posted for Isonzo Karst. :rolleyes:

Hey, OP's from the UK. They're allowed to mangle the language as much as those of us on this side of the Atlantic. After all, they're the ones who came up with a language with such illogical and conflicting rules full of exceptions in the first place :laughing:

And to WatchDog2020 - don't let your, erm, research go to waste - waymark them! :D

The question should be: do you as a CO like the cache you placed?

There will always be other cachers who like your caches and others who don't like them. Some like micro's, others hate them. Some like long hikes, others don't. Some like difficult riddles, others get sleeples nights (I know that from expirience based upon response on some of my caches). Everybody can make it's own choice weather or not to search for your caches. If they don't like them they can put them on the Ignore list.

Lucky enough everybody has it's own idea's regarding placing caches. Therefore you will also see a huge variation of caches and new idea's are developed.

Would I go out to look for these caches? No, most likely not. I will search for them when I drive by, but it's not my favorite. Should you care? No, not really.

Well spoken.