New and Impressed

SaintSteven

Today was my very first experience of Geocaching. Before today I had never even heard of the subject. I have an iPhone 3G S and saw the Greocaching app. I download the free version, tried it indoors and saw great possibilities for me. I'm a 67 year old retired Medical Scientist.

I searched for a Geocache and found that the nearest one was near to a walk that I do regularly.

I then decided to purchase the paid-for iPhone app.

My first attempt was a failure but I didn't know what I was looking for. A photo accompanied the information about the cache site and nothing around the area matched the image.

Not to be deterred, I returned with my wife and we were absolutely thrilled when we discovered the cache.

Another surprise for us later was an email from the owner of the cache. It welcomed me to Geocaching and gave me very useful information. Thank you seacarrot12.

I can't wait for tomorrow and more Geocaching.

The photo on that cache was not uploaded by the cache owner, so it was not intended to be misleading. It was just someone taking a picture of a travel bug.

The photo

To explain, I am completely new to Geocaching, it was my first day. I don't know what the conventions are and maybe photos that seem irrelvant to me are OK.

Initially I couldn't find the cache. I looked at all the clues and was left with the photo as my remaning source of clues. It showed a model car on a table or next to a road.

There was a table which it turned out was about 50 feet away from the cache. I spent some considerable time around that area. As it could have shown a road, I then went to the nearby road, which is very busy. I spent even more time walking up and down that.

I then gave up and was on the point of giving up Geocaching. My wife then joined me and we had another attempt, with a fresh pair of eyes and found the cache.

I'd just like to say that the photo seemed to me to be a major clue, it wasn't and almost made me discontinue Geocaching.

If it is a convention that such photos are allowed, it should be made plain to newbies that they can be irrelevant.

Sorry to appear critical, but I thought my opinions as a newcomer might be useful to other newcomers.

Welcome,

I'm glad you had fun and it was nice that the cache owner also took time to send you a 'welcome' email.

With reference to the photograph in the cache page gallery: Anyone can add a photograph to their log for any cache - In fact, it's encouraged because most cache owners enjoy seeing them. I can understand that as you're a beginner it might have confused you a bit, you'll find out about trackable items (Travel bugs and geocoins) in due course.

Good luck with your next caching experiences. You'll probably want to ask lots of questions and much useful information is to be found pinned at the top of this forum:

"Read First - Geocaching frequently asked questions."

MrsB

On the find you did get, congratulations!

About photos: Photos that actually give you a hint about finding a cache are usually considered as spoilers and can be deleted (along with that log) by the Cache Owner. Do not rely on a photo to provide you with a clue.

Likewise, when a previous log crosses the line and is deemed a "spoiler", the CO can delete it. The logs may well alert you to other things, such as how hard or easy the cache can be found, but not much more.

It is a "hunt", after all. With experience, you will gain knowledge on what/where/how to look. It is something that we refer to as "geosense". It is a self-taught learning experience that nobody can help you with.

Now, go forth and hunt. Enjoy! ;)

I too am new to this. I found my first cache the other day and told my wife about it. She went onto the web site and saw there is one right on the way to work so she wants to stop on the way home today so we can find it. I'm hoping to get her hooked. I've been looking for a past time to share with my wife and son. They aren't into hunting so I figure this is a good way to get them into the woods and spend some quality time as a family. I have 2 GPS units that I use for hunting, both are Garmin one is a eTrex Vista and the other is a eTrex Vista CX, so I already own the necessary equipment. In addition to some quality family time I'm hoping that I can teach them about land navigation without it being too painful. I know it was painful for me to learn it when I had to in the Seabees.