cemetery cache

It will not be placed on a grave or the stone/monument but in a tree in the grounds .what do you guys think on this one.

It's hard to say with just the information you've given. I've found a couple of caches hidden in trees within a graveyard surrounding a church and from what I recall they both said they had been placed with permission of the minister of the church.

I'd be a little wary of placing them in graveyards though - although in theory people should be considerate of goings on it would be unfortunate if a geocacher were to turn up looking for a film pot during an actual burial. Although I imagine most cachers would have the good sense to leave and return later it only takes one to tarnish our reputation.

The rules changed a while ago. If there's any physical stage to a cache within the churchyard, you'll need to provide the Reviewers with contact details of the person who gave you permission to hide the item/s there, so they can check if they feel they need to. Virtual stages - say of a multi where dates are changed to co-ords - are fine though. That's my understanding of the current guidelines anyway.

Edited by Simply Paul

We have recently placed a cache in a graveyard, we did "um" and "er" about it for a while before submitting but it is a lovely out of the way place that we wanted others to be able to find. Have had lots of nice comments about it so most people seem to think its ok as long as you have permission.

It will not be placed on a grave or the stone/monument but in a tree in the grounds .what do you guys think on this one.

I placed one last year, was in a Cemetary that hasnt been used for over 40 years, and is now a nature reserve. As other people said, I needed permission from the owners or in this case the organiation that ran the nature reserve. I think maybe in a cemetary that is still in use, or was in use until very recently that it might not be such a good idea as there are likely to be mourners around. But i dont see any problem in cemetaries that have be disused for a while.

The rules changed a while ago. If there's any physical stage to a cache within the churchyard, you'll need to provide the Reviewers with contact details of the person who gave you permission to hide the item/s there, so they can check if they feel they need to. Virtual stages - say of a multi where dates are changed to co-ords - are fine though. That's my understanding of the current guidelines anyway.

THANKS FOR THE INFOMATION IN YOUR LINK

REGARDS

AINSDALE SANDMAN

I placed one last year, was in a Cemetary that hasnt been used for over 40 years, and is now a nature reserve. As other people said, I needed permission from the owners or in this case the organiation that ran the nature reserve. I think maybe in a cemetary that is still in use, or was in use until very recently that it might not be such a good idea as there are likely to be mourners around. But i dont see any problem in cemetaries that have be disused for a while.

IT WAS 1856 WHEN THE CEMETERY WAS DESIGNED AND LANDSCAPED AND IS STILL USED TODAY BUT NOT IN THE AREA WHERE I WISH TO PLACE THE CACHE.I HOPE TO PLACE IT IN NEAR FUTURE ONCE I GET THE CORRECT PERMISSION.

REGARDS

AINSDALE SANDMAN

Edited by ainsdalesandman

HI DIDNT THINK THERE WAS SO MANY PEOPLE TO CALL WHEN IT COMES TO CEMETERYS .PILLAR TO POST AND BACK AGAIN TODAY I AM NOW AWAITING THERE KIND DECISION ONE DAY SOON.

THANKS FOR REPLY

AINSDALE SANDMAN

We have recently placed a cache in a graveyard, we did "um" and "er" about it for a while before submitting but it is a lovely out of the way place that we wanted others to be able to find. Have had lots of nice comments about it so most people seem to think its ok as long as you have permission.

:anibad: THANKS HOPE TO HAVE THE CAPTAIN OF THE MARCO POLO CACHE IN PLACE SOON .I THINK I MAY HAVE GIVEN A CLUE TO WHERE THEN SILLY ME

GBKGRGU CNEX PRZ :laughing:

The best place to hide a cache in a graveyard is in a grave (with the occupant's permission). This will make it very unlikely to be found by Muggles (grave robbers excepted). The drawback with this is that one would need a spade which is against the rules, so therefore would be a bit wrong...

Edited by Subedei

The best place to hide a cache in a graveyard is in a grave (with the occupant's permission). This will make it very unlikely to be found by Muggles (grave robbers excepted). The drawback with this is that one would need a spade which is against the rules, so therefore would be a bit wrong...

I think getting the occupants permission might also be a bit of a challenge :laughing:

I think getting the occupants permission might also be a bit of a challenge :)

not at all :

"Hey Bob, I realise this is your spot and all, but I am contemplating placing a cache here mate. Please speak up if you object, cheers!"

And so 'adequate' permission is obtained :laughing:

Sounds fair to me ! If he/she haunts you then you know you have done wrong !

thinking about it one wouldn't need a spade, just pretend to be a mourner and walk past the casket and sling in a micro with your hand full of dirt... sorted !!

Edited by Subedei

I think getting the occupants permission might also be a bit of a challenge :)

not at all :

"Hey Bob, I realise this is your spot and all, but I am contemplating placing a cache here mate. Please speak up if you object, cheers!"

And so 'adequate' permission is obtained :laughing:

thinking about it one wouldn't need a spade, just pretend to be a mourner and walk past the casket and sling in a micro with your hand full of dirt... sorted !!

Don't think the reviewers would let you get away with that one.... You're not allowed to bury them. :laughing:

:) THANKS HOPE TO HAVE THE CAPTAIN OF THE MARCO POLO CACHE IN PLACE SOON .I THINK I MAY HAVE GIVEN A CLUE TO WHERE THEN SILLY ME

GBKGRGU CNEX PRZ :laughing:

Hi and welcome,

Issues of cemeteries besides, I would recommend finding a few caches before hiding your own, that way you'll get an idea of what's good an what's not.

And please stop shouting!

Ian

:) THANKS HOPE TO HAVE THE CAPTAIN OF THE MARCO POLO CACHE IN PLACE SOON .I THINK I MAY HAVE GIVEN A CLUE TO WHERE THEN SILLY ME

GBKGRGU CNEX PRZ :D

Hi and welcome,

Ian

Posting in all caps is considered the forum equivalent of shouting. Something experienced forum users are aware of, but new members unfortunate find out the hard way :laughing:

Another common pitfall being the failure to use smilies to indicate the actual meaning of a post. As no physical clue is otherwise available, to indicate when a person is being serious or joking. And thats one even forum regulars can fall foul of. :laughing:

You will find that despite the angst that can happen on here, there is a lot of valuable advice available on here. And also the other UK geocaching forums.

Deci

Hi and welcome,

Ian

Posting in all caps is considered the forum equivalent of shouting. Something experienced forum users are aware of, but new members unfortunate find out the hard way :laughing:

Another common pitfall being the failure to use smilies to indicate the actual meaning of a post. As no physical clue is otherwise available, to indicate when a person is being serious or joking. And thats one even forum regulars can fall foul of. :laughing:

You will find that despite the angst that can happen on here, there is a lot of valuable advice available on here. And also the other UK geocaching forums.

Deci

Hi and welcome,

Ian

Deci

Hi and welcome,

i will not shout in future please forgive me everyone

Ian

Deci

Kewfriend owns his own (future) graveyard, and he has a cache there.

No-longer I'm afraid, it was archived recently due to the various 'goings on' around here.

It was a puzzle cache. I solved the puzzle, and next time I was in the area, I paid it a visit. It was quite tricky to find a route to the place, but once there, it was an easy find. Then I phoned him up, and said "I'm dancing on your grave ..."!

Where do we stand, caching permissions wise, if a public right of way exists through a municipal cemetery, or rather in this case where a municipal cemetery has expanded and crossed a public right of way?

Do churchyard rules still apply?

Or are we on a PROW and the age old argument on seeking permissions from the crown?

Where do we stand, caching permissions wise, if a public right of way exists through a municipal cemetery, or rather in this case where a municipal cemetery has expanded and crossed a public right of way?

Or are we on a PROW and the age old argument on seeking permissions from the crown?

A public right of way gives you the right to "pass and repass", and nothing else.

It does not give you the right to hide a cache or enjoy any other recreational activity, whether it's in a cemetery or not, and the vast majority of PRoW's in England and Wales pass across private land where you would (in theory) need the permission of the landowner to hide a cache anyway.

Do not confuse a right of way with public property - or even public access land. They aren't the same thing at all.

Edited by keehotee

A public right of way gives you the right to "pass and repass", and nothing else.

It does not give you the right to hide a cache or enjoy any other recreational activity, whether it's in a cemetery or not, and the vast majority of PRoW's in England and Wales pass across private land where you would (in theory) need the permission of the landowner to hide a cache anyway.

Do not confuse a right of way with public property - or even public access land. They aren't the same thing at all.

I wonder how many caches placed on PRoWs actually have permission? 1%? more? less?

a lot of PROW are on private property, you should ask the landowner nothing to do with the crown, the local authorities have a duty to make sure that they are accessable - in most cases the crown does not own the land

a lot of PROW are on private property, you should ask the landowner nothing to do with the crown, the local authorities have a duty to make sure that they are accessable - in most cases the crown does not own the land

Ta muchly have an email lodged with the local district highways officer to determine who I should ask.

To add clarification as the person who was responsible for bringing in the requirement for proof of permission for Church property/Cemeteries. I have this in the Template I personally use

Please Note! The Boundary wall/fence is still church property and as such a container located on it, still requires permission.

By rights I should edit it to include Cemeteries.

The best person to initially contact would be the Manager of the Cemetery. If that person felt a need to refer it to someone more senior within the council, then he/she would be in the ideal position to do so.

Caches in Church yards, being placed by the Reverend/Priest/Church Warden have become popular. And even Cemetery Managers seem happy with appropriately placed caches. On thing that seems a common theme, is that they welcome respectful visitors. As this discourages antisocial behaviour.

Deci

To add clarification as the person who was responsible for bringing in the requirement for proof of permission for Church property/Cemeteries. I have this in the Template I personally use

Please Note! The Boundary wall/fence is still church property and as such a container located on it, still requires permission.

By rights I should edit it to include Cemeteries.

The best person to initially contact would be the Manager of the Cemetery. If that person felt a need to refer it to someone more senior within the council, then he/she would be in the ideal position to do so.

Caches in Church yards, being placed by the Reverend/Priest/Church Warden have become popular. And even Cemetery Managers seem happy with appropriately placed caches. On thing that seems a common theme, is that they welcome respectful visitors. As this discourages antisocial behaviour.

Deci

Can I just add something to all of this. In all the advice it sometimes says to ask the Parish Council for permission to put a cache on church property, this is not strictly correct. The Parish Council does not actually hold any jurisdiction over the church property and grounds, that right is held by the PCC (Parochial Church Council, which is a different entity entirely. Asking the vicar is fine (C of E) as he is usually the chair of the PCC, however your best bet would be to ask one of the ChurchWardens (names in local news letters or on the notice board in the church).

I don't mean to go against any advice already given, but as treasurer of my PCC, we would be really annoyed if the Parish Council gave permission for a cache and did not refer the questioner to us. We would almost certainly agree anyway as it brings more people to visit the church.

Edited by Smithbats

;) THANKS HOPE TO HAVE THE CAPTAIN OF THE MARCO POLO CACHE IN PLACE SOON .I THINK I MAY HAVE GIVEN A CLUE TO WHERE THEN SILLY ME

GBKGRGU CNEX PRZ :)

Ooooh I know where it is! :D