Usage of the hint field when placing a cache.

Zop

I am not fond of useless hints either but what I find even more amazing is that everyone here thinks everything is rude.

Is there another term for deliberately trying to inconvenience other people for laughs?

Come on now, how many people REALLY decrypt hints by hand out in the field? If there were EVER a way to prove it (without liars here in the forums), I'd bet the number would be miniscule.

Some times, I might decrypt a hint before printing out the cache page.

But for the most part, the hint gets decrypted manually, in the field.

Luddites still caching with paper printouts...whaddya gonna do? :P

If you'all still want to cache with paper but want your useless, rude, hints decrypted for you, download my CacheReport software. It's free.

I am not fond of useless hints either but what I find even more amazing is that everyone here thinks everything is rude.

Is there another term for deliberately trying to inconvenience other people for laughs?

Come on now, how many people REALLY decrypt hints by hand out in the field? If there were EVER a way to prove it (without liars here in the forums), I'd bet the number would be miniscule.

If you'all still want to cache with paper but want your useless, rude, hints decrypted for you, download my CacheReport software. It's free.

Or just decrypt the hint prior to printing the cache page.

I'm sure the number of experienced cachers that decrypt by hand is low. However, the number of newbies that are the most likely group to really NEED a hint probably are decrypting by hand.

Or just use the hint field for what it was intended for and if you don't want to provide a hint leave it blank as the cache submission page instructs.

Judging from the number of times this comes up, there are people who do. I know that I do at times, though it is rare these days.

The number of people affected is irrelevant. Even if it is one person why inconvenience him just to get your jollies?

I use to decode hints in the field when I needed a nudge. I have not for quite a awhile now since people continue to put in useless hints.

My all time least favorite "useless hint" is

"No hints needed for a good cacher." on a cache with numerous DNFS

The cache submission page spells it out.

Hints/Spoiler Info

Enter any hints or spoiler information below. This information will be encrypted on the site until a geocacher clicks on a link to unencrypt it, or decodes it on the trail. Text within brackets [like this] will not be encrypted. Please keep your hints short, so decoding it on the trail is easier.

If you don't have a hint, leave it blank.

First, once again I must apologize if this toipc has been addressed before but no matter that I try, the search tool here just doesn't work.

Topic: The proper usage of the hint field when placing a geocache.

Some time ago at an event, a reviewer was asked to speak about a few things, among the items he discussed was the usage of the hints field when placing geocaches.

His advise was great! (I'm paraphrasing here but I think I understood it well enough)

"If you want to provide a hint, do it! That's what it's there for, If you don't, JUST LEAVE IT BLANK" "If your cache doesn't need a hint, LEAVE IT BLANK or say so in the description but don't place useless or snide comments there."

Has there been any sort of writing about this? Any way to effectively pass this on to new cachers when they go to submit a cache?

I for one am getting tired of manually decrypting a hint field that simply states "You don't need a hint" or "Silly you, looking here for a hint HAHA"

Thoughts?

If you ever figure out a way to get people to stop using useless, self-pleasing and non-helpful hints, please let me know. Personally I don't think that that can ever be accomplished and as such, I usually read it out loud to Mrs. Team Cotati and we get a good eye rolling chuckle out of it and move on.

Edited by Team Cotati

The sad truth is that more people than you'd otherwise imagine think that: "No hint needed" or similar smarmy comments actually qualify as as Hint and as such, in their mind, fully comply with gc.com rules and/or guidelines for cache placement. Of course that is technically true but we all know better, don't we? :PB):anibad:

I'm surprised that nobody has yet brought up hints that contain directions or parking information that should be in plain sight on the cache page, if not posted as child coordinates.

or opening hours / other information which is absolutely necessary.

Again: The reviewing process could be some sort of quality control. At least for the listing and the obvious errors.... Could....

GermanSailor

You still printout cache pages?

I saw one cache page it didn't have the decoder on it. Didn't notice if you can opt it out

Judging from the number of times this comes up, there are people who do. I know that I do at times, though it is rare these days.

The number of people affected is irrelevant. Even if it is one person why inconvenience him just to get your jollies?

While I agree with your position, my original point is why people continually to call things rude. We all have various levels of tolerance which is understandable. But I think if you don't like something, calling it rude is akin to name calling, as far as I am concerned.

I've never thought of it as a big deal at all. It takes a few seconds to decrypt and this is all for fun anyway, right? :P We shouldn't let these little things take from the fun of our great hobby.

It would take you more than a few seconds to decode this in the field

Vg unf orra fnvq gung jura lbh yvxr n cynpr lbh fubhyq chg qbja ebbgf . . . nccneragyl guvf vfa'g gur pnfr urer jvgu guvf pnpur.

N fcrpvny abgr . . . Cre gur erdhrfg bs Znvar Qrcnegzrag bs Genafcbegngvba sbyxf . . . cyrnfr nibvq jnyxvat ba gur yrnpusvryq (sbe lbh sbyxf jub ner pbaarpgrq gb Pvgl Frjre Flfgrzf naq unir ab vqrn jung guvf nern vf . . . vg'f gur terra tenffl erpgnathyne nern jvgu gur "pnaql pnar"-yvxr CIP cynfgvp cvcrf. Lbh pna trg gb guvf pnpur ol jnyxvat nybatfvqr gur jbbqyvar. Nyfb . . . vs lbh frr nal sbyxf sebz gur QBG rlr-onyyvat lbh nf lbh tb gbjneqf be yrnir gur pnpur cyrnfr znxr n fcrpvny cbvag gb vqragvsl lbhefrys nf n trbpnpure fvapr gurl unir ab ceboyrz jvgu trbpnpuvat, ohg ner fnsrgl pbafpvbhf naq jnag gb znxr fher gung abguvat vyyrtny vf tbvat ba ng guvf erfg nern. Gunaxf.

In the mean time you have allready walked across the leachfileds that they warn you not to walk acorss.

I've never thought of it as a big deal at all. It takes a few seconds to decrypt and this is all for fun anyway, right? :anibad: We shouldn't let these little things take from the fun of our great hobby.

If I'm not mistaken, the real issue is not the decoding but the contents of the Hint field. Decoding "No Hint Needed" is no better than there being no Hint at all. And for a lot of us, I believe, not having useful Hints is kind of a "big deal". There is a reason that the Hint is encoded. That is so that people who do not want to take advantage of the Hint can't 'accidentially' see it and thereby ruining their experience. The rest of us who like seeing the Hint can do that. Peaceful coexistance, nice.

Now if we could just get the smarmyness out of the way, the world would be a better place. :P:laughing:B)

Edited by Team Cotati

I'm surprised that nobody has yet brought up hints that contain directions or parking information that should be in plain sight on the cache page, if not posted as child coordinates.

I think I DID bring up a hint that contained information that should be on the cache page. Especially if it says that you shouldn't do something at GZ.

And being a newbie I like to bring the decrypted hint onto the field and only decrypting it when I think I need it. Which luckily happens less and less, but who knows what happens when we start tackling a higher difficulty than 3 stars...

Noor

I touched on it in an earlier post. I find that to be useless as well, standing near the cache and decrypting parking coordinates, or something that tells you which trail to take, or advice to bring a flashlight, etc.

Before the implementation of the additional waypoints I would sometimes put encrypted parking coordinates in the hint but I would label them as such using the brackets.

"No hints needed for a good cacher." on a cache with numerous DNFS

not only is that useless, but it is insulting. the implication is that if you are in need of a hint, you are not a good cacher.

While I agree with your position, my original point is why people continually to call things rude. We all have various levels of tolerance which is understandable. But I think if you don't like something, calling it rude is akin to name calling, as far as I am concerned.

i do not like hot weather. i do not like rudeness. i do not like the color taupe.

if someone has been rude and i merely tell you i didn't like it, how will you know they simply haven't been painted taupe, or that i met them in ecuador?

things should be called what they are.

while it is not acceptable to wander about the world correcting people's behaviors and calling them rude (which would be rude in itself) in a public discussion of behaviors one might reasonably identify some of these behaviors as rude without worry.

oh, and on the topic of whether parking coordinates might be construed appropriately as hints: it ought to be the hider's discretion, and really depends a lot on intent.

while this type of cache is getting rarer and rarer, sometimes the challenge is in finding the proper approach. some people will be baffled by the navigational puzzle and require a hint, and sometimes that's the parking.

Parking coordinates are not Hints. They never were.

If you are contemplating putting stuff like that in the Hints area...please don't.

Especially since you have the ability to add additional waypoints to your cache page, either at the time of submission or as an edit to your page if you decide to add them later or just type them into the description. I have no idea why someone would put the parking/trailhead/POI coordinates in the hint field.

Bruce

If you are contemplating putting stuff like that in the Hints area...please don't.

Especially since you have the ability to add additional waypoints to your cache page, either at the time of submission or as an edit to your page if you decide to add them later or just type them into the description. I have no idea why someone would put the parking/trailhead/POI coordinates in the hint field.

Bruce

I don't have the date in front of me, but the whole additional waypoint thing didn't happen until 2007 maybe? Someone can correct me if I'm way off.

I haven't seen parking coordinates as a hint too often, and when I have it's generally been on some real oldies, like 2001 or 2002 placements.

Bruce

I don't have the date in front of me, but the whole additional waypoint thing didn't happen until 2007 maybe? Someone can correct me if I'm way off.

I haven't seen parking coordinates as a hint too often, and when I have it's generally been on some real oldies, like 2001 or 2002 placements.

That's really good to know, thank you.

What's worse is a "hint" that makes the hunt harder. I see that sometimes as well.

I agree. One cache I tried recently said "up under some moss." Well, the GPS is very inconsistent in the area, and this being the Pacific Northwet, moss is EVERYWHERE! It needed to be much more specific. Needless to say, I dnf'ed the cache.

I found that one. :anibad:

Was that one of mine? :P

Nope. This one is out near Black Diamond, and it's fairly new, within the last month, I believe.

I've never thought of it as a big deal at all. It takes a few seconds to decrypt and this is all for fun anyway, right? :P We shouldn't let these little things take from the fun of our great hobby.

It would take you more than a few seconds to decode this in the field

Vg unf orra fnvq gung jura lbh yvxr n cynpr lbh fubhyq chg qbja ebbgf . . . nccneragyl guvf vfa'g gur pnfr urer jvgu guvf pnpur.

N fcrpvny abgr . . . Cre gur erdhrfg bs Znvar Qrcnegzrag bs Genafcbegngvba sbyxf . . . cyrnfr nibvq jnyxvat ba gur yrnpusvryq (sbe lbh sbyxf jub ner pbaarpgrq gb Pvgl Frjre Flfgrzf naq unir ab vqrn jung guvf nern vf . . . vg'f gur terra tenffl erpgnathyne nern jvgu gur "pnaql pnar"-yvxr CIP cynfgvp cvcrf. Lbh pna trg gb guvf pnpur ol jnyxvat nybatfvqr gur jbbqyvar. Nyfb . . . vs lbh frr nal sbyxf sebz gur QBG rlr-onyyvat lbh nf lbh tb gbjneqf be yrnir gur pnpur cyrnfr znxr n fcrpvny cbvag gb vqragvsl lbhefrys nf n trbpnpure fvapr gurl unir ab ceboyrz jvgu trbpnpuvat, ohg ner fnsrgl pbafpvbhf naq jnag gb znxr fher gung abguvat vyyrtny vf tbvat ba ng guvf erfg nern. Gunaxf.

In the mean time you have allready walked across the leachfileds that they warn you not to walk acorss.

I saw this hint on a cache the other day. Could this be the worlds longest hint?:

Jr erpbzzraq guvf ebhgr orpnhfr vg vapyhqrf n avpr uvxr hc gur angher genvy naq n fbzr inevrgl va lbhe uvxr. Ba n Fhaqnl lbh znl urne gur eulguz bs n qehz pvepyr ng gur ortvaavat bs gur uvxr.

Guvf pnpur vf ybpngrq va Tevssvgu Cnex, abegu/rnfg bs gur bofreingbel. Qevir bagb Tevssvgu Cnex Qevir, sebz nal qverpgvba, naq sbyybj gur fvtaf gb gur Zreel-Tb-Ebhaq (gur ebnq vf npebff sebz gur Enatre Fgngvba jurer zncf ner ninvy.). Cnex va Ybg bar naq jnyx onpx gb gur clyba oneevre jurer lbh znqr n evtug vagb gur ybg. Jnyx rnfg cnfg gur juvgr clybaf. Ybbx sbe gur ragenapr gb gur Srea Pnalba Angher Genvy, juvpu pbzrf hc fbba gb gur yrsg (A.34.07.477 J.118.17.267). Urnq hc gur genvy, pbagvahvat cnfg gur bhgqbbe pynffebbz, naq hcuvyy hagvy lbh uvg gur jvqr qveg ebnq. Tb yrsg, jnyxvat hcuvyy. Jura lbh ernpu 5 cbvagf (5 genvyf gung vagrefrpg) jnyx hc gur uvture jrfg-ornevat genvy, gur frpbaq genvy gb lbhe evtug. Jnyx cnfg gur cvpavp nern naq bagb gur cnirq ebnq. Ng guvf cbvag lbh'er urnqvat gbjneq chzcubhfr 114 (A. 34.07.457 J.118.17.167). Jura lbh ernpu gur chzcubhfr (n fznyy terra oyqt.) jnyx hc gur oevqyr genvy orfvqr vg. Pbagvahr nebhaq guvf genvy hagvy lbh frr gur zrzbevny fvta sbe Urael'f Genvy. Gnxr Urael'f genvy hagvy lbh ernpu gur pnpur. Gur pnpur vf nobhg 30 cnprf rnfg bs n fznyy YNQJC zrgny znexre. Pnpur vf jryy uvqqra va n ohfu.

Edited by sdarken

Not even close. Here's my candidate for longest useless hint. The cache, hidden in fall 2002, is on my all time favorites list.

V unir engrq gur qvssvphygl va svaqvat guvf pnpur n #1 orpnhfr gur pnpur pbagnvare vf pbagnvarq jvguva n fgbar pnvea V unir ohvyg ba gur npghny fhzzvg bs gur zbhagnva. Gur pnvea vf boivbhfyl znaznqr naq vf abg fhogyr. Gur pnvea fgnaqf nobhg 3.5 srrg gnyy naq vf nobhg guerr srrg jvqr npebff vgf onfr. Cyrnfr gnxr pner abg gb yrna ba be ntnvafg gur pnvea jura ergevrivat gur pnpur pbagnvare! Erzrzore, gur pnvea vf UBYYBJ...orpnhfr bs guvf, vg qbrf abg unir fgebat vafvqr fhccbegvat jnyyf. Vs lbh yrna ba vg, gurer'f n tbbq punapr lbh'yy pbyyncfr gur pnvea. Gb ergevrir gur pnpur pbagnvare, pnershyyl erzbir gur gjb yvggyr xrlfgbarf juvpu erfg ba gbc bs gur syng pncfgbar. Gura yvsg gur pncfgbar naq tragyl frg vg nfvqr. Ernpu va naq trg gur pnpur pbagnvare. Gura, jura lbh'er guebhtu, cyrnfr pnershyyl naq tragyl ercynpr gur pncfgbar naq gjb yvggyr xrlfgbarf. Guvf jnl, lbh jba'g unir gb qvfznagyr gur ragver pnvea. Vs lbh yvxr, lbh pna nyfb cnegvpvcngr va na byq zbhagnvarrevat genqvgvba naq fryrpg n fgbar, (ynetr be fznyy), sebz nal gung ner arneol, gura cynpr lbhe fgbar ng gur onfr bs gur pnvea. Guebhtu cnegvpvcngvba va guvf genqvgvba, jr nyy havgr va xvaqerq fcvevg. V nyfb yvxr gb bssre n crefbany, fvyrag zrffntr bs gunaxf gb gur Perngbe jura neevivat ng fhpu n fhzzvg pnvea juvyr cynpvat zl "bssrevat" fgbar ng vgf onfr.

V unir engrq gur greenva nf n #3 qhr gb gur yratgu bs gur uvxr sebz gur cnexvat ybg naq gur pyvzo gb gur fhzzvg.

Zl tbny jvgu guvf pnpur ybpngvba vf abg gb znxr vg uneq gb svaq gur pnpur, ohg gb rapbhentr uvxvat gb gur fhzzvg bs gur zbhagnva. Gur ivrjf, raivebazrag naq fbyvghqr ner jryy jbegu gur pyvzo! Gur npghny pnpur vf whfg n yvggyr obahf!

Crnpr gb lbh zl sevraq.

Decrypted:

I have rated the difficulty in finding this cache a #1 because the cache container is contained within a stone cairn I have built on the actual summit of the mountain. The cairn is obviously manmade and is not subtle. The cairn stands about 3.5 feet tall and is about three feet wide across its base. Please take care not to lean on or against the cairn when retrieving the cache container! Remember, the cairn is HOLLOW...because of this, it does not have strong inside supporting walls. If you lean on it, there's a good chance you'll collapse the cairn. To retrieve the cache container, carefully remove the two little keystones which rest on top of the flat capstone. Then lift the capstone and gently set it aside. Reach in and get the cache container. Then, when you're through, please carefully and gently replace the capstone and two little keystones. This way, you won't have to dismantle the entire cairn. If you like, you can also participate in an old mountaineering tradition and select a stone, (large or small), from any that are nearby, then place your stone at the base of the cairn. Through participation in this tradition, we all unite in kindred spirit. I also like to offer a personal, silent message of thanks to the Creator when arriving at such a summit cairn while placing my "offering" stone at its base.

I have rated the terrain as a #3 due to the length of the hike from the parking lot and the climb to the summit.

My goal with this cache location is not to make it hard to find the cache, but to encourage hiking to the summit of the mountain. The views, environment and solitude are well worth the climb! The actual cache is just a little bonus!

Peace to you my friend.

Not even close. Here's my candidate for longest useless hint. The cache, hidden in fall 2002, is on my all time favorites list.

Decrypted:

Remember, the cairn is HOLLOW...because of this, it does not have strong inside supporting walls. If you lean on it, there's a good chance you'll collapse the cairn.

I hope the cache owner never complains that cachers have collapsed the cairn. ("Didn't you decrypt my hint that had the warning?!")

I'm fairly new at this, and find I'm using the hints about 50% of the time. The other day I was looking for a micro - my last of 22 caches for the day, it was raining, I was soaked and trying to decrypt the hint. It said 'Think like a cache hider'..... if I could do that I wouldn't have needed the hint.

Hints need to be helpful, especially if the coordinates they give you aren't correct.

I spend half an hour looking in the wrong place for one earlier in the day. If the hint had been more helpful I wouldn't have been so conspicuous to all teh muggles around. The hint was 'look for a big one' - and I was in an area of large boulders. When I finally found the cache it was about 20m away from GZ for the coords, under a boulder about the same size as the ones I was looking at at GZ.

I was looking for a cache after midnight today and starting getting a little miffed.

It was raining and cold. The area around the cache location was fairly swampy. GZ coords didn't lead to anything that looked like a cache location. Previous logs mentioned alternate coords. Tried those, nothing working.

I go to look at the hint and it says "Only after logging a DNF"

That's NOT a hint folks. What that does is just raise the blood pressure a little more. That "hint" is nothing more than a control issue. That cache is on my official ignore list.

I was looking for a cache after midnight today and starting getting a little miffed.

It was raining and cold. The area around the cache location was fairly swampy. GZ coords didn't lead to anything that looked like a cache location. Previous logs mentioned alternate coords. Tried those, nothing working.

I go to look at the hint and it says "Only after logging a DNF"

That's NOT a hint folks. What that does is just raise the blood pressure a little more. That "hint" is nothing more than a control issue. That cache is on my official ignore list.

That's one I hate as well. That or the ever so popular "email me for hint" or"None need" or "Come on , YOU need a hint?"

I guess I need to just start using ignore lists for users, not just caches.

A useless hint is not a Listing Guidelines issue, but it is a procedural issue that the Volunteer Cache Reviewer can write an advisory note about before publishing the cache. Like the common practice of reminding hiders of one-star terrain caches that they ought to be handicapped accessible, reviewers do not delay publication of a cache solely because it has a useless hint.

Many reviewers leave a "form letter" reviewer note right before publication, similar to the one I use:

Hello,

Your cache will be published momentarily, but before doing so I wanted to write and encourage you to reconsider the encrypted hint section of your cache page. Your hint did not seem like it would be useful to someone decoding it in the field. From the instructions for hiding a cache:

"Enter any hints or spoiler information below. This information will be encrypted on the site until a geocacher clicks on a link to unencrypt it, or decodes it on the trail. Text within brackets [like this] will not be encrypted. Please keep your hints short, so decoding it on the trail is easier. If you don't have a hint, leave it blank."

Thank you for considering this request. Enjoy the logs on your new cache!

Keystone

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer

I would say that this is one of my ten most commonly used reviewer note templates.

I'd hate to make more work for the volunteer reviewers but this would be an ideal answer to the issue. How can we get word to request that the VOLUNTEER reviewer take the time to examine the hint field?

Also, since there really isn't any way to prevent a cache owner from editing the hint once the cache is published, maybe something could eventually be added to the guidelines as a reminder?

Luddites still caching with paper printouts...whaddya gonna do? <_<

Or just use the hint field for what it was intended for and if you don't want to provide a hint leave it blank as the cache submission page instructs.

In my opinion, the absolute best solution to a problem is one that you can easily implement for yourself. It certainly beats trying to change the behavior of the rest of the world. Edited by sbell111

Sometimes I wonder if the text/description of the hint field on the cache submission page should be re-worded. As it stands now:

Enter any hints or spoiler information below. This information will be encrypted on the site until a geocacher clicks on a link to unencrypt it, or decodes it on the trail. Text within brackets [like this] will not be encrypted. Please keep your hints short, so decoding it on the trail is easier. If you don't have a hint, leave it blank.

We already know how many people don't bother reading things completely, they just fill in the info, click the checkboxes and submit the cache. I think the last sentence (If you don't have a hint, leave it blank.) should be the FIRST thing that section says, not the last. Maybe people are leaving useless hints because they think every field is mandatory.

My personal favorite "useless hint" story:

Coordinates zero out at the corner of a brick sign and a juniper bush. Hint for the cache is "green". Well, that poor juniper took a heck of a pounding from the cachers who assumed the cache must be in the bush based upon the hint. Turns out the only thing "green" was the cache container and the cache was indeed hidden on the brown sign, a fact that didn't help until AFTER you had found the thing.

Edited by DanOCan

Interesting posts people.. made me think about what I am going to do when i start putting out my first caches. First of all i will find me a Geo-ally - a geocacher friend and let that friend test out the cache and afterwards letting him/her, come up with a hint or letting me know if the hint i came up with, is stupid or a kick in the face to the geocacher.

In the same way i could help him/her with hints :)

Safe caching ;)

Bitflux

Sometimes I wonder if the text/description of the hint field on the cache submission page should be re-worded. As it stands now:

Enter any hints or spoiler information below. This information will be encrypted on the site until a geocacher clicks on a link to unencrypt it, or decodes it on the trail. Text within brackets [like this] will not be encrypted. Please keep your hints short, so decoding it on the trail is easier. If you don't have a hint, leave it blank.

I think the last sentence (If you don't have a hint, leave it blank.) should be the FIRST thing that section says, not the last. Maybe people are leaving useless hints because they think every field is mandatory.

Yes, and make it a separate paragraph.

If you don't have a hint, leave it blank.

Enter any hints or spoiler information below. ...

I don't really need to be told "none needed".

I dislike when people think they're making "clever" hints, but it's way over everyones head. I've seen it on more than one occasion, I read a hint and think "wtf...." go back to the cache page afterwards and see a few people like "Found the cache.. no clue what the hint meant but got it anyways"

"If you want to provide a hint, do it! That's what it's there for, if you don't, JUST LEAVE IT BLANK" "If your cache doesn't need a hint, LEAVE IT BLANK or say so in the description but don't place useless or snide comments there."

BINGO!

Yes, we have a winner!

I am at a loss as to how to pass this information to every dolt who hides a cache, however.

I have "one side will make you grow bigger and the other will you grow smaller" as hint on a micro cache looking like a mushroom.

Besides everyone liking the cache itself a few say "funny hint ;) " etc. and others say "didn´t get the hint".

This is an example of how it makes sense to some but not to others.

Leaving "no hint needed" is just silly to me, but I use O450 and auto-decrypt hints so it´s not a big hassle though.

Edited by Niemela

I believe I'll link to the Hints article in my log, each and every time I see, gbb rnfl sbe n uvag, rznvy zr, or, my fav, "where to park">>generally encrypted as a long rambling discourse ........ Urnq fbhgujrfg ba Bnxevqtr Pve gbjneq Cnexzber Oyiq 0.2 zv 2. Gnxr gur 2aq evtug bagb Znenoryy Qe 302 sg 3. Pbagvahr bagb Znegva Pve cnexvat ba gur yrsg 0.1

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I used to before we upgraded to a GPS that can store them. We prefer not to look at the hint at all, so never decrypted it in advance. But if we had been looking for a cache unsuccessfully for 10 mins or so we would usually get out a pencil and decrypt the hint manually. It was fun seeing it emerge letter by letter ;) Nowadays I can do it with one button press on my Oregon, which isn’t anywhere near as much fun.