MFFTF

HeliDood

(My first First to Find)

FINALLY!!

After two months geocaching, 28 finds and a few failed attempts at the elusive FTF, I finally got one of my own.

Yes its a big deal! And YES it is worthy of it's own thread.

Just remember the time when all of you scored your first FTF. I'm betting it was a big deal for you too.

I'm just going to gloat for a while. This feels pretty good.

And will I sit on the log for a little while until at least 2nd to Find logs his entry? You betcha!!

...and I promise I won't become a FTF-whore. I only want to be a casual cacher. I've got far too many other hobbies (one of them is playing with my helicopters) I just needed to get this first one out of the way.

:):P

Edited by HeliDood

(My first First to Find)

FINALLY!!

After two months geocaching, 28 finds and a few failed attempts at the elusive FTF, I finally got one of my own.

Just remember the time when all of you scored your first FTF. I'm betting it was a big deal for you too.

And will I sit on the log for a little while until at least 2nd to Find logs his entry? You betcha!!

...and I promise I won't become a FTF-whore. I only want to be a casual cacher. I've got far too many other hobbies (one of them is playing with my helicopters) I just needed to get this first one out of the way.

Congrats on your first FTF. I agree they are fun regardless of how many you may have. But don't wait to log it online in order to keep others thinking it is unfound. That is rude in my opinion. Don't know why you would want to do that. :D

Edited by WRASTRO

don't wiat to log it online in orde to keep others thinking it is unfound. That is rude in my opinion. Don't know why you would want to do that.

Seriously?

Since the temperature is below zero and with snow on the ground there arent a lot of people out caching.

By reading forum posts, I was under the impression that its somewhat a common practice for FTF'ers to sit on their log for a half day or so. Supposedly it gets people out caching (which sort of makes sense)

I was just going to wait until like tomorrow morning or afternoon, thats all.

Let me gloat a little bit

don't wiat to log it online in orde to keep others thinking it is unfound. That is rude in my opinion. Don't know why you would want to do that.

Seriously?

Since the temperature is below zero and with snow on the ground there arent a lot of people out caching.

By reading forum posts, I was under the impression that its somewhat a common practice for FTF'ers to sit on their log for a half day or so. Supposedly it gets people out caching (which sort of makes sense)

I was just going to wait until like tomorrow morning or afternoon, thats all.

Let me gloat a little bit

You need to log the find.

People will go out looking for a FTF, just like you did, thinking that it was still up for grabs.

How would you feel if you went out, only to learn that you were second? And that the FTF was waiting for the STF, so he/she could gloat?

Waiting to log is rude, and does nothing for your reputation in this community.

(My first First to Find)

right, well, that's a bit weird, I'm not sure how that would rock your boat.

not a FTF hound myself, but why make people waste time/money to only go : "NAR NAR but i already got it!"

Some peeps like the FTF thrill and will jump in their car and drive the 40 miles, only the get the above..

congrats on your ftf tho.

Nothing wrong with waiting to log your FTF. Let the suspense get the other cachers who want an FTF get them running for the cache. A new cache needs the extra attention to get cachers heading for it. I like going for an FTF and its not the end of the world when I get there and see that I'm second or third to find. I still got to go searching for a cache and that's the main part of caching I would think

Nothing wrong with waiting to log your FTF. Let the suspense get the other cachers who want an FTF get them running for the cache. A new cache needs the extra attention to get cachers heading for it. I like going for an FTF and its not the end of the world when I get there and see that I'm second or third to find. I still got to go searching for a cache and that's the main part of caching I would think

I am almost always an advocate of encouraging each player to play the game the way they enjoy it. But in this case I must say that I think your way of thinking is just plain wrong. It is rude to other players. Honestly, why be intentionally rude? :):P

Edited by WRASTRO

People will cache if they want to cache. No need to "help" them out by holding back a log. If the only thing that gets them out to a cache is the hope of a FTF, then that's their own problem. :D

Congrats on the FTF, by the way, it's neat to feel excitement in some aspect of this sport. It's been so long since my first FTF, that I don't remember which it was. Back then, it was a different experience, as there were only a few of us and a few caches. I don't try anymore for FTF's, but every so often it happens by accident and I get a temporary giggle over it. :P:)

Congrats on your first first to find.

I'm with the crew that feels you should log the find as soon as you can. Believe me, the last thing you want to do is anger people who could (not that anyone ever would) steal caches you hide just to say "neener neener neener" sort of like how you would be saying it by not logging a FTF as soon as you can.

Basically, do unto others as you would have done unto you.

Nothing wrong with waiting to log your FTF. Let the suspense get the other cachers who want an FTF get them running for the cache. A new cache needs the extra attention to get cachers heading for it.

Don't assume that everyone else lives in a similar caching environment like yours. As Ambrosia said, a new cache doesn't always need an extra incentive to be found. There was a new cache placed about 12 miles from me on the 1st. It was the first new cache placed within 20 miles of me in the last two months. Someone went out to look for it at night, in a snow storm and single digit temps and DNFd on it. It still hasn't had a FTF. It's rated a 1.5 and specifically indicated that it's winter friendly. If someone wants to go look for a cache, they will.

I am almost always an advocate of encouraging each player to play the game the way they enjoy it. But in this case I must say that I think your way of thinking is just plain wrong. It is rude to other players. Honestly, why be intentionally rude? :):P

Well, I know one thing. Let there be no doubt about why several people expressed reservations about the "FTF" in the name of the proposed FTF Geocacher Magazine, as seen in this thread. :D

(My first First to Find)

FINALLY!!

Congrats on your first FTF. I agree they are fun regardless of how many you may have. But don't wait to log it online in order to keep others thinking it is unfound. That is rude in my opinion. Don't know why you would want to do that. :D

How nice...

Congrats. Anyone who gets a FTF loves it and thinks it's fun. Only those who aren't capable of putting the work and effort into FTFs are the ones that complain. As for logging it, you log it when you're good and ready. Don't listen to posts like the one above. Just more complaining because of lost FTF opportunity...

If I get an FTF and I am out caching for the whole day, I am not going home to my computer to log an FTF and then go back out caching. I cache all day, then I go home and log all my finds.

What a waste of time it would be having to come home after every FTF cache to log it right away to keep certain people happy. What if I'm on my way home and someone gets to the cache before I log the FTF online and they STF it? Are they going to be mad that I didnt have an IPhone to instantly log it the second after I signed it?

That's the risk you take for going for FTF's. I've probably gone for over 100 but I only have about 12. Have I lost any sleep over it? Nope. That's just one part(if you want it to be) of the many fun challenges of geocaching.

(My first First to Find)

FINALLY!!

:anibad::)

How nice...

Congrats. Anyone who gets a FTF loves it and thinks it's fun. Only those who aren't capable of putting the work and effort into FTFs are the ones that complain. As for logging it, you log it when you're good and ready. Don't listen to posts like the one above. Just more complaining because of lost FTF opportunity...

Nice try, but you failed. I have nothing against going for the FTF. I do it from time to time. I am not advocating running home to log the FTF regardless of what other plans you may have.

My only point is that I believe it is rude to intentionally wait to log the FTF just so others think it is still available. :anibad:

If I get an FTF and I am out caching for the whole day, I am not going home to my computer to log an FTF and then go back out caching. I cache all day, then I go home and log all my finds.

What a waste of time it would be having to come home after every FTF cache to log it right away to keep certain people happy. What if I'm on my way home and someone gets to the cache before I log the FTF online and they STF it? Are they going to be mad that I didnt have an IPhone to instantly log it the second after I signed it?

That's the risk you take for going for FTF's. I've probably gone for over 100 but I only have about 12. Have I lost any sleep over it? Nope. That's just one part(if you want it to be) of the many fun challenges of geocaching.

I agree with you completely. I wouldn't expect anyone to run home to log an FTF just to keep others happy.

I am stating that I believe it is rude to intentionally delay logging an FTF simply to keep others thinking it is still available.

There is a difference.

(My first First to Find)

FINALLY!!

How nice...

Nice try, but you failed. I have nothing against going for the FTF. I do it from time to time. I am not advocating running home to log the FTF regardless of what other plans you may have.

My only point is that I believe it is rude to intentionally wait to log the FTF just so others think it is still available. :anibad:

Failed at what? My statement about FTF complainers (for lack of a better term) in general, is true, in my experience. And as far as being rude, I disagree. While I've probably only delayed logging intentionally twice in 130 FTFs, I consider it strategy. I don't do it often but have no problem doing and no sympathy for those that don't like it. It is what it is.

While I've probably only delayed logging intentionally twice in 130 FTFs, I consider it strategy. I don't do it often but have no problem doing and no sympathy for those that don't like it. It is what it is.

A strategy for what, exactly? Frustrating others?

I think it's rude too. But since I can't change what you do, and you can't change what I think, we're even.

(My first First to Find)

FINALLY!!

:):D

Congrats on your first FTF. I agree they are fun regardless of how many you may have. But don't wait to log it online in order to keep others thinking it is unfound. That is rude in my opinion. Don't know why you would want to do that. :lol:

How nice...

Failed at what? My statement about FTF complainers (for lack of a better term) in general, is true, in my experience. And as far as being rude, I disagree. While I've probably only delayed logging intentionally twice in 130 FTFs, I consider it strategy. I don't do it often but have no problem doing and no sympathy for those that don't like it. It is what it is.

I don't get that. How is it strategy? Strategy for what? It doesn't help to "win" at FTFing, because you already got the FTF. So it's just having other people run out to try to be FTF and they then don't get it. :lol: I don't get it. :anibad:

Anyways, as has been said, it's the intention. I'm way behind on all my logs (years in some cases), so if I let a FTF log slip through, that would be normal for me (although I'd probably try if I knew it could upset people in my area). Probably some FTF'rs wouldn't be upset, if that's how their thought processes are (they wait to log, too), but others could be quite hurt or offended if they found out that a person intentionally held back a log just to play with them. Sounds like playing God to me. :lol:

I agree with you completely. I wouldn't expect anyone to run home to log an FTF just to keep others happy.

I am stating that I believe it is rude to intentionally delay logging an FTF simply to keep others thinking it is still available.

There is a difference.

Well, fellow cachers who try get FTF's on caches I publish....you are free to log your FTF whenever you want. I like when a bunch of cachers get pumped to go for a cache of mine.

Either way, we do not have a problem with caching in my area. No matter what "place" you come in for finding a cache, I'm sure everyone enjoys just the good old hunt and the find...and the crazy competition lately when a new one gets published. :anibad:

(My first First to Find)

FINALLY!!

How nice...

You failed at trying to make me out to be something I am not. And this thread isn't about FTF complainers, whatever they are.

You and the OP can intentionally delay logging your FTF and think it is fun, cute, or some sort of strategy. I can think it is rude.

You and the OP can intentionally delay logging your FTF and think it is fun, cute, or some sort of strategy. I can think it is rude.

And one day they will wonder why someone seems to be picking on them and pirating all their caches. (Not that I am condoning this. It's just an inevitability)

I love Karma

(My first First to Find)

FINALLY!!

How nice...

You failed at trying to make me out to be something I am not. And this thread isn't about FTF complainers, whatever they are.

Why do you feel it is rude? Whether it is intentional or not, the effect isn't any different on the person rushing to the cache. It doesn't even stand to benefit the FTFer. Really, this only ensures that some of the cachers that are only out to get FTFs are getting dupped into properly supporting a new cache! Sounds good to me.

Why do you feel it is rude? Whether it is intentional or not, the effect isn't any different on the person rushing to the cache. It doesn't even stand to benefit the FTFer. Really, this only ensures that some of the cachers that are only out to get FTFs are getting dupped into properly supporting a new cache! Sounds good to me.

I don't answer for others, only for myself.

It is rude because the sole purpose of doing something like this is to frustrate others. I find the "supporting" a new cache argument extremely weak. If the only draw of a geocache is being the FTF, perhaps it is time to rethink that hide. And duping someone into doing that sounds like a good idea to you?

It is rude because the sole purpose of doing something like this is to frustrate others. I find the "supporting" a new cache argument extremely weak. If the only draw of a geocache is being the FTF, perhaps it is time to rethink that hide. And duping someone into doing that sounds like a good idea to you?

Is there a rule or directive or something supporting this?

FTF's aren't even real stats, so rude or not, logging or not, whining or not, does it even matter what each cacher chooses to do?

If they are breaking a geocaching rule, then ban their arses. If not, who cares? But, because I'm stuck inside right now and not caching, the only thing to entertain me besides not logging a FTF right away is reading silly comments(including mine!) on this thread.

FTF's aren't even real stats, so rude or not, logging or not, whining or not, does it even matter what each cacher chooses to do?

If they are breaking a geocaching rule, then ban their arses. If not, who cares? But, because I'm stuck inside right now and not caching, the only thing to entertain me besides not logging a FTF right away is reading silly comments(including mine!) on this thread.

Sure FTFs are real stats...maybe not ones kept by gc.com, but certainly kept by individual cachers who enjoy the race for FTF - that's real enough.

We don't need a rule to tell us what is common courtesy. As for "who cares?", well those who enjoy FTFs care - and if you don't go for FTFs then there's no impact on you either way.

There is no rule or guideline regarding "First to Find". It's not recognized as a stat on this website.

I try to log my finds as soon as I'm back at my PC. The FTFs that I found I logged as soon as I was able. A recent first finder on one of my caches asked me if I wanted him to wait to "lure more folks to the cache". I told him that it was up to him, but I'd go ahead and log it.

I don't see the point in trying to "lure" people to a cache for FTF. If FTF is the only reason that people might seek the cache then perhaps the cache placement should be reconsidered.

I also don't see why somebody trying to score a FTF would get bent out of shape because the first finder didn't phone home to the mothership and update their find the second they found it. If you play the FTF game, accept that you won't always be first finder and don't blame somebody else.

In short:

- Log as soon as you are reasonably able to.

- Place caches with value beyond a first find.

- Don't get your chipmunk wrapped around the axle if you find yourself looking at a log that's been signed before you.

- Take responsibility for how you spend your time.

It is rude because the sole purpose of doing something like this is to frustrate others.

Do you really need a rule to tell you if something is rude or not?

No one asked about a rule for being rude or not. If that was the case, 90% of the population would be in trouble.

If you look again, I asked if there was a rule or directive for logging an FTF.

Either way, I think its plain to see that "rude" is telling other cachers when and how they should log their own finds, FTF or not.

And one day they will wonder why someone seems to be picking on them and pirating all their caches. (Not that I am condoning this. It's just an inevitability)

I love Karma

Give me a break. I am the LAST one you'll see here being an overly sensitive complainer. I have better things to do with my life than try to make everyone conform to what "I" think is the ideal way to live. And IF I were to complain about ANYTHING, it would be about just that.. about people who nit pick, complain, and think everyone else should do "it" (whatever it is), their way. Be it logging FTFs immediately, not hiding micros, etc etc. So all you who think delayed logging of FTFs is rude, get over yourselves.

Oh yeah, I guess I have been known to complain about syntax, poorly structured sentences and bad grammar in posts. I guess I'm a hypocrite too.. :anibad::anibad::)

So someone correct me if I'm wrong:

but there is NO directive that says I have to log ANY of my caches online at all if I don't want to. It shouldnt matter if it's a FTF or not, right?

I've already found log books that have 20+ entries, but when I myself went to log it online, I saw maybe 15 or 16 online entries.

It is rude because the sole purpose of doing something like this is to frustrate others.

No one asked about a rule for being rude or not. If that was the case, 90% of the population would be in trouble.

Either way, I think its plain to see that "rude" is telling other cachers when and how they should log their own finds, FTF or not.

Voice of reason, critical in thinking. Thank you.

Also, this was my FIRST FTF, so it was special to me.

Had it been my 20th or 30th FTF, it would have been no big deal, and naturally I would have wanted to log it immediately.

In this area, (probably not unlike other areas) there are 2 or 3 people who seem to be the FTF whores. They get the FTF's on EVERYTHING, so Ive noticed.

My intention of sitting on a log for half a day, I wanted to serve just one purpose, (not to be rude), but let the 3 FTF whores know that theres a new kid in town.

I love Karma

Give me a break. I am the LAST one you'll see here being an overly sensitive complainer. I have better things to do with my life than try to make everyone conform to what "I" think is the ideal way to live. And IF I were to complain about ANYTHING, it would be about just that.. about people who nit pick, complain, and think everyone else should do "it" (whatever it is), their way. Be it logging FTFs immediately, not hiding micros, etc etc. So all you who think delayed logging of FTFs is rude, get over yourselves.

Oh yeah, I guess I have been known to complain about syntax, poorly structured sentences and bad grammar in posts. I guess I'm a hypocrite too.. :anibad::):D

I always find it entertaining when someone's argument becomes "shut up!" :anibad:

I think lying to people is rude. It is ok with me if you don't share my opinion. If your point is that I need to get over my believe that lying to people is rude then I will have to decline your advice.

So someone correct me if I'm wrong:

but there is NO directive that says I have to log ANY of my caches online at all if I don't want to. It shouldnt matter if it's a FTF or not, right?

I've already found log books that have 20+ entries, but when I myself went to log it online, I saw maybe 15 or 16 online entries.

You are correct. There is no requirement to log your finds online. I am simply expressing my opinion that I believe it is rude to intentionally delay logging an FTF just to say "neener, neener" to someone.

Voice of reason, critical in thinking. Thank you.

And thank you.

I actually made sense to someone? That would be a first. So that is an FTMS for me. If only I had a place to log that now.....or should I wait?

Here's to hoping to race you to an FTF one day, bflentje! :anibad:

Had it been my 20th or 30th FTF, it would have been no big deal, and naturally I would have wanted to log it immediately.

In this area, (probably not unlike other areas) there are 2 or 3 people who seem to be the FTF whores. They get the FTF's on EVERYTHING, so Ive noticed.

My intention of sitting on a log for half a day, I wanted to serve just one purpose, (not to be rude), but let the 3 FTF whores know that theres a new kid in town.

I like where you're head is at!

If thats a compliment, thanks.

I'm slowly getting the idea that the only people who will get upset over a delayed FTF log are FTF whores themselves.

You want to talk about rude? Maybe being a FTF whore is rude. Always snagging the new caches in the area before casual cachers even have a chance.. Ever think about that?

Oh yeah, I guess I have been known to complain about syntax, poorly structured sentences and bad grammar in posts. I guess I'm a hypocrite too.. :anibad::anibad::)

Here, here! Well put!!

Edited by Flintstone5611

I'm slowly getting the idea that the only people who will get upset over a delayed FTF log are FTF whores themselves.

You want to talk about rude? Maybe being a FTF whore is rude. Always snagging the new caches in the area before casual cachers even have a chance.. Ever think about that?

If you would care to search you would find that I started a thread some months ago stating that I grew tired of the current crop of FTF hounds in my area. I was blasted by many for not letting people play the game they wanted to play. My opinion about FTF hounds has nothing to do with whether I choose to try for an FTF from time to time. I agree with you that it can take away some of the fun sometimes when it is the same core group over and over. BUT, they are the ones taking whatever steps necessary to be FTF. I may not agree with that style of play but I don't take offense or try to get even with them in some way.

Try not to take this personally. I am not saying you are rude. Nor am I saying anyone else who disagrees with my opinion is rude. You are all entitled to your own opinions. I think the behavior is rude. That is my opinion.

Maybe you and a few others can get over the trash talking and try to have a rational discussion. :anibad:

I love Karma

Oh yeah, I guess I have been known to complain about syntax, poorly structured sentences and bad grammar in posts. I guess I'm a hypocrite too.. :D:lol::lol:

I always find it entertaining when someone's argument becomes "shut up!" :)

I think lying to people is rude. It is ok with me if you don't share my opinion. If your point is that I need to get over my believe that lying to people is rude then I will have to decline your advice.

No where did I tell anyone to shut up. I just said get over yourselves. I guess I've also been know to complain about word-in-mouthers and context-twisters. :anibad::anibad: And the cool thing is, I do not feel compelled to make YOU fall in line with ME. That's the difference between me and everyone else who feels compelled to respond to me about the so-called rude practice of FTF logging.

If you would care to search you would find that I started a thread some months ago stating that I grew tired of the current crop of FTF hounds in my area. I was blasted by many for not letting people play the game they wanted to play. My opinion about FTF hounds has nothing to do with whether I choose to try for an FTF from time to time. I agree with you that it can take away some of the fun sometimes when it is the same core group over and over. BUT, they are the ones taking whatever steps necessary to be FTF. I may not agree with that style of play but I don't take offense or try to get even with them in some way.

Try not to take this personally. I am not saying you are rude. Nor am I saying anyone else who disagrees with my opinion is rude. You are all entitled to your own opinions. I think the behavior is rude. That is my opinion.

Maybe you and a few others can get over the trash talking and try to have a rational discussion. :anibad:

Oh come on, stop trying to be the voice of reason. Why would the "casual cacher" care if they got there and there was a name ahead of them. This only affects the FTF hunters. Is it rude to not log your STF? Are you going to mess with all those guys who love getting in second?