Pointless caches

Folenator

My personal preference is finding caches that would be included in a introductory videos on geocaching. I've yet to see one that highlighted a micro in a parking lot as "what the hobby is about."

After a long day of DNF's I'll still walk right past a parking lot micro. Why? Regardless of the experiences of the day, it's still a waste of time. To bastardize a popular bumper sticker, "A DNF on a good cache is better than a find on a PLM any day." I live by that. I've gone on hikes for caches I've already found and I've DNFed caches after hard hikes. Never once did I console myself with a PLM, nor wish I had gone after easier caches.

I equate the idea of finding a PLM after a day of failures with, say, a rough day of rock climbing failures. Why would you console yourself with the "victory" of climbing a step stool?

Too funny! Your "purist" point of view is how I imagined most geocachers would think, but boy did I find out differently!

I guess I don't retain enough caching angst to make this an issue for me. I hunt caches. I log my experiences. Caches from earlier in my day or week do not influence my experience in any measureable way.

How many of these physically challenged cachers, whom apparently need to cache in the Wal-Mart parking lot, do you know? Enough of them that they need 50% or more of all caches in many urban/suburban areas placed on their alleged behalf?

I live just north of a very large retirement community with plenty of physically challanged people. Lots of easy caches are around here for them. They deserve/enjoy to cache too.

The main thing is to have fun. If you are doing something that is not fun, either find a way to make it fun or stop doing it.

When I am finding parking lot micro caches, I tend to enjoy it because of the people I am with, not always the cache itself. I do not expect the cache to entertain me, I can do that on my own.

Well said!

How many of these physically challenged cachers, whom apparently need to cache in the Wal-Mart parking lot, do you know? Enough of them that they need 50% or more of all caches in many urban/suburban areas placed on their alleged behalf?

I live just north of a very large retirement community with plenty of physically challanged people. Lots of easy caches are around here for them. They deserve/enjoy to cache too.

Yes, but are they all Geocachers? Dozens of them? One or two of them? And the point of the thread, as stated by the OP is "pointless caches", i.e. parking lot caches. If they deserve/enjoy to cache too, how about, for example, my last find, as stated in my first post to this thread; a nano overlooking the Niagara River in a park, a few miles upstream from the falls. I think I parked 150 feet from it, and it was fully wheelchair accessable. Can we raise the bar a little, and try to provide caches such as that, as opposed to having them dodge traffic in store parking lots, and looking like weirdo's lifting lampskirts in front of the general public? B)

Although I have been familiar with the sport/game since its inception, I only recently decided to really partake. One of the great things about Geocaching to me is that it is a "big tent" kind of hobby, like fishing or homebrewing. Since I really became active about a month ago, I have mostly been finding micro urban caches and I understand what you are saying. I have much more fun going out into the scrub and finding a medium to large size cache under a rock or log without a whole lot of scratching my head and wondering where the hell did the CO stick that tiny chewing gum container. But that's me.

I'm a fisherman. I hate bass fishing and love trout fishing, so I don't fish for bass. I homebrew. I hate pale ales, so I don't brew them. In either case, I would never say that fishing for bass or making pale ales is not in the spirit of their respective adherents. The great thing about a hobby is that you make it what you want it to be. Otherwise it would be called a job.

Have fun and pick what ya want! B)

Yes, but are they all Geocachers? Dozens of them? One or two of them? And the point of the thread, as stated by the OP is "pointless caches", i.e. parking lot caches. If they deserve/enjoy to cache too, how about, for example, my last find, as stated in my first post to this thread; a nano overlooking the Niagara River in a park, a few miles upstream from the falls. I think I parked 150 feet from it, and it was fully wheelchair accessable. Can we raise the bar a little, and try to provide caches such as that, as opposed to having them dodge traffic in store parking lots, and looking like weirdo's lifting lampskirts in front of the general public? B)

My question is, how does a Walmart parking lot skirt lifter cache diminish your experience of the 1.0 terrain cache North of Niagra Falls?

It seems that some people have a difficult time understanding that some people actual like parking lot hide and enjoy finding them. They want so badly to believe that nobody would prefer these to other places where a cache could be hidden or that if there is a preference it is solely motivated by the fact the each cache is worth the same +1 on your find count and that people are motivated to find the easiest quickest find order to increment their find count.

First of all it should matter no more to them that many people like parking lot hides than it would matter to connoisseur of French pastry that someone likes some generic store brand cookies. The only thing is the claim that it is harder to avoid these caches than it is for the pastry connoisseur to avoid cookies. But look, if the connoisseur were to go to a party and the host served cookies, they could either turn up their nose and refuse or graciously eat a cookie and try not to gag. The same thing is true here. If you happen to wind up in a parking lot looking for a cache, you can either leave or you can find the cache and graciously thank the hider no matter how tough it is for you to do that.

Second you have no need to question the motivation of someone who hides or finds parking lot micros than the connoisseur has need to question why some likes cookies. The connoisseur is likely to think that people eat cookies because they are cheap and readily available, much like many say that people hide/find parking lot caches because they are cheap and and an easy way to increment your count. But in reality there are many reasons why some may prefer cookies. They are more familiar (popular B) ) than French pastry. They may be allergic to some of the ingredients in French pastry. They may find the pastry to rich (in taste not cost). You can speculate all you want about why people like parking lot micros. No doubt there are some who find them just because they are an easy way to increment their find count. But I've seen enough to find that many people like them because they are convenient or because they like being in a secret that something is hidden where hundreds of muggles go by each day. Some like them because they aren't able to meet the physical challenges of a long hike. Sure there are other caches these people can find, but for some of them nothing will beat a cache where you don't have walk more than 10 feet from your car.

It seems that some people have a difficult time understanding that some people actual like parking lot hide and enjoy finding them. They want so badly to believe that nobody would prefer these to other places where a cache could be hidden or that if there is a preference it is solely motivated by the fact the each cache is worth the same +1 on your find count and that people are motivated to find the easiest quickest find order to increment their find count.

First of all it should matter no more to them that many people like parking lot hides than it would matter to connoisseur of French pastry that someone likes some generic store brand cookies. The only thing is the claim that it is harder to avoid these caches than it is for the pastry connoisseur to avoid cookies. But look, if the connoisseur were to go to a party and the host served cookies, they could either turn up their nose and refuse or graciously eat a cookie and try not to gag. The same thing is true here. If you happen to wind up in a parking lot looking for a cache, you can either leave or you can find the cache and graciously thank the hider no matter how tough it is for you to do that.

Second you have no need to question the motivation of someone who hides or finds parking lot micros than the connoisseur has need to question why some likes cookies. The connoisseur is likely to think that people eat cookies because they are cheap and readily available, much like many say that people hide/find parking lot caches because they are cheap and and an easy way to increment your count. But in reality there are many reasons why some may prefer cookies. They are more familiar (popular B) ) than French pastry. They may be allergic to some of the ingredients in French pastry. They may find the pastry to rich (in taste not cost). You can speculate all you want about why people like parking lot micros. No doubt there are some who find them just because they are an easy way to increment their find count. But I've seen enough to find that many people like them because they are convenient or because they like being in a secret that something is hidden where hundreds of muggles go by each day. Some like them because they aren't able to meet the physical challenges of a long hike. Sure there are other caches these people can find, but for some of them nothing will beat a cache where you don't have walk more than 10 feet from your car.

In other words....

Some people will go to great lengths to qualify themselves (in whatever odd way) as better than someone else.

some who find them just because they are an easy way to increment their find count.

many people like them because they are convenient

or because they like being in a secret that something is hidden where hundreds of muggles go by each day.

Some like them because they aren't able to meet the physical challenges of a long hike.

And some like to hide them because they are too lazy to fire up the grey matter.

And some like to find them because they are too lazy to walk 20' for a smiley.

And some like them because, (thanx to Snoogans), they will eventually lead to the death of geocaching as we know it. :)B)

some who find them just because they are an easy way to increment their find count.

or because they like being in a secret that something is hidden where hundreds of muggles go by each day.

Some like them because they aren't able to meet the physical challenges of a long hike.

And some like to hide them because they are too lazy to fire up the grey matter.

And some like them because, (thanx to Snoogans), they will eventually lead to the death of geocaching as we know it. :D:D

I got news for ya Riff.... Geocaching as you wish to remember it died a long time ago. This activity is constantly evolving and those that can't move with the changes will spend their time bemoaning geocaching's lost youth. :)

BTW- It's not nice to call people who don't share your aesthetic lazy. B)

Since I'm about as lazy as they come, (I once sat through an entire episode of Rosie O'Donnell simply because I was too lazy to fetch the remote), I would think that those who do share my aesthetics would be the lazy ones. Those crazy guys who hike 20 miles to hunt for a Tupperware. Now they scare me! :)

Post script: I'm mad at you. You killed Santa! B)

The physically challenged argument is incredibly patronizing. As if because you are physically challenged you should be satisfied with visiting strip malls, 7-Eleven dumpsters and Wal-Mart parking lots. They deserve the opportunity for better than that.

The physically challenged argument is incredibly patronizing. As if because you are physically challenged you should be satisfied with visiting strip malls, 7-Eleven dumpsters and Wal-Mart parking lots. They deserve the opportunity for better than that.
You might note that many 'physically challenged' people have weighed in to this and other threads to comment that they enjoy finding these caches.

And some like them because, (thanx to Snoogans), they will eventually lead to the death of geocaching as we know it. :)B)

The reason that other people like the caches that they like is of no importance. People like these caches. They are quite popular. If you do not like them, the onus is on you to avoid them. Edited by sbell111
You might note that many 'physically challenged' people have weighed in to this and other threads to comment that they enjoy finding these caches.

And many may not.

My question is, how does a Walmart parking lot skirt lifter cache diminish your experience of the 1.0 terrain cache North of Niagra Falls?
  • Because that skirt lifter took up the slot in my PQ that the Niagara cache could have used.
  • Because that skirt lifter used up some time I could have used on the Niagara cache.
  • Because of the vast numbers of skirt lifters have the same metrics as the Niagara cache, both got filtered out.

And many may not.

Those cachers are free to ignore the micro in Best Buy's parking lot and concentrate on the cache in the local park, as are you.

Edited by sbell111

And many may not.

Those cachers are free to ignore the micro in Best Buy's parking lot and concentrate on the cache in the local park, as are you.

It's a little harder for them to eliminate lower terrain caches from their PQs because that is specifically what they are looking for.

- If you go caching in an urban environment, you will find urban caches. If you want ammo cans in the woods, go find caches in the woods.

What if I want to find easy urban caches that don't suck?

Why does the argument always have to boil down to either pointless urban caches versus idyllic hikes through woods? There are nice easy, short hunts in urban environments. The question is why place pointless caches? So, we should be arguing pointless caches versus caches with some inherent entertainment value.

I mean, if the point is only to have fun with friends, then we can randomly go around lifting lamp skirts without the benefit of a cache. One of you go hide a rubber ball at the mall and then let your friends go find it. Hilarity ensues. Makes about as much sense to me.

I think what some of us are really trying to say here is that we would like to see a little more thought put into both the quality of the cache containers and the locations. I don't deny that some like to find simple, easy cache hides - all I ask is that we as a community should start to expect a bit more out of such a cache than another 5 acres of yellow marked blacktop with light poles. That doesn't seem so hard to understand.

I think what some of us are really trying to say here is that we would like to see a little more thought put into both the quality of the cache containers and the locations. I don't deny that some like to find simple, easy cache hides - all I ask is that we as a community should start to expect a bit more out of such a cache than another 5 acres of yellow marked blacktop with light poles. That doesn't seem so hard to understand.

Then everybody would be happy. We can't have that.

And many may not.
It's a little harder for them to eliminate lower terrain caches from their PQs because that is specifically what they are looking for.
Someone should take a closer read of post #33.
- If you go caching in an urban environment, you will find urban caches. If you want ammo cans in the woods, go find caches in the woods.

Why does the argument always have to boil down to either pointless urban caches versus idyllic hikes through woods? There are nice easy, short hunts in urban environments. The question is why place pointless caches? So, we should be arguing pointless caches versus caches with some inherent entertainment value.

I mean, if the point is only to have fun with friends, then we can randomly go around lifting lamp skirts without the benefit of a cache. One of you go hide a rubber ball at the mall and then let your friends go find it. Hilarity ensues. Makes about as much sense to me.

If a person gets picky then they need to use other resources. They can use other peoples favorites list, they can read descriptions and add the promising ones to to bookmarks, if a certain cacher hides caches you like, add those in as well. There is even another caching site that prides itself in "Quality Caches".

It can be done, but if a person really wants to only seek caches that meet a certain criteria, then they will need to do the legwork. Since I don't know what they will like or won't like, I won't do it for them. Let them read their own menu and pick out what they want.

I think that it's not my job to manage your expectations, it's yours.

Also, I don't see why the entire game needs to change because you don't care for these caches. Others like them. In fact, they are quite popular.

If you don't like these caches (or any other subset of caches) you need to take the responsibility of avoiding them. Asking others to not hide and find caches that they enjoy doesn't seem to be the optimal solution.

Personally I don't think many of them are 'pointless'. There is a challenge there as well... just of a different sort. The challenge would be to hide/find the cache without being seen. Many of them seem rather random... but many hold meaning to the hider. I just found one last night at a Barnes and Noble... really busy place... and the page said this was a place they liked to hang out. It was challenging getting it without being seen... and a lot of fun to do. To each their own.

I'm a fisherman. I hate bass fishing and love trout fishing, so I don't fish for bass.

How might you feel if they started stocking your favorite trout pond with bluegill (panfish) because bluegill is cheaper and easier to stock, easier to catch, and it gives those who only have a 'pocket fisherman' something to do?

I'm a fisherman. I hate bass fishing and love trout fishing, so I don't fish for bass.

How might you feel if they started stocking your favorite trout pond with bluegill (panfish) because bluegill is cheaper and easier to stock, easier to catch, and it gives those who only have a 'pocket fisherman' something to do?

Given that 'they' are absorbing all the costs related to stocking the pond with fish, I suppose that I would either enjoy catching bluegill or I would go elsewhere to catch trout.

The fact is, there is very likely plenty of trout still swimming around that pond. It is on me to hone my ability to find and catch them.

Trout are cold water fish, bluegills are warm water fish. Kinda like micros are city caches and ammo boxes are country caches, y'know.

Trout are cold water fish, bluegills are warm water fish. Kinda like micros are city caches and ammo boxes are country caches, y'know.

global warming

global warming
I think you might be onto something there!

By the way, if locationless caches are no longer allowed, why should pointless caches be? Isn't a point just another name for a location? B)

Let them read their own menu and pick out what they want.

The"if you don't like them then don't hunt them" argument is old and it doesn't answer the question of why place pointless caches. I know I don't have to hunt them. I practice that already. Answer the question of why pointless caches have to darken my PQ in the first place.

Edited by CoyoteRed

Let's say they do some genetic manipulation and stock the pond with bluegill that can handle cooler water but they've still got to increase the temperature of the pond a little. The trout suffer, there are some losses but heck that's OK because there are lots of bluegill now, about 50% and the kids and pocket fisherman types like the easy catch (they also like the trout maybe even more then the panfish but they take more finesse to get). Like sbell says, there's still trout to fish, and now there's plenty of cheap easy fishing - you can even eat them (akin to logging a find) but they're not as tasty and don't put up much of a fight when they're on the line and you can scoop them up with a net if you want to.

Edited by Lone R

What entertains you, may not entertain me. What doesn't entertain you, may entertain me. So, what you call a "pointless" cache may entertain me - there have been several who pointed out that "being in on the secret" or using stealth to find a LPC is entertaining, hence the reason for that cache. Maybe not your reason, but their's is just as valid.

I've met people who think hunting/finding ammo cans in the woods is pointless (actually, they don't care where it's hidden, it's all pointless). So should we get rid of those "pointless" caches, becuase of their opinion? Why not have your friends hide a rubber ball in the woods and you go find it? Hilarity ensues. It makes as much sense to them.

So all these "pointless" caches (all caches if you include everyone's definition of pointless) must 'darken' PQ's everywhere. Part of the game is learning to live with/deal with it.

Then everybody would be happy. We can't have that.

I don't think there's any real danger of that over here.

It can be done, but if a person really wants to only seek caches that meet a certain criteria, then they will need to do the legwork. Since I don't know what they will like or won't like, I won't do it for them. Let them read their own menu and pick out what they want.

But.. but.. that sounds like.. work! B)

(FWIW if I'm going to a new place and know I only have time for a few caches, I pre-screen manually)

By the way, if locationless caches are no longer allowed, why should pointless caches be? Isn't a point just another name for a location? :)

Isn't the whole 3 pages of debate (so far) about whether they're really pointless?

The"if you don't like them then don't hunt them" argument is old and it doesn't answer the question of why place pointless caches. I know I don't have to hunt them. I practice that already. Answer the question of why pointless caches have to darken my PQ in the first place.

Because the "caches that CoyoteRed finds pointless" filter for PQs has not been implemented...?

Every cache does have a point. Some folks just can't see it.

Because the "caches that CoyoteRed finds pointless" filter for PQs has not been implemented...?

When I set up my GeoConcierge service, I look forward to having CoyoteRed as my first client. "Find wht you like, Like what you find" will make a nice tag line, don't you think?

Lots of possibilities for additional services, too. A Helpline (maybe a 1-900 number?) Route Planning (similar to AAA's TripTik®. Heck, for the most discerning client, a chauffeur driven stretched 4WD and a butler to retrieve the cache and bring it to you for your signature (with your gold plated fountain pen - waterproof ink, of course). No need to get those designer boots muddy - listen to Verdi in the air conditioned comfort of your plush leather seat, sipping champagne (or vodka, the Spirit of Geocaching ) while racking up your find counts.

Every cache does have a point. Some folks just can't see it.

The point of every cache is to find something that somebody else has hidden, presumably using a GPS unit as an integral part of the search. Nowhere has the point ever been to take you some place you will find interesting or worthy (except for when virtual caches has the "wow" requirement). If a cache is in a "cool" place that is a bonus, but it would seem odd to expect that every cache be in a place that I find "cool". The fact that some caches are in places where I wouldn't have put a cache only tells me that other people have different levels of what they find acceptable. The only times it matters is if a cache is placed somewhere in violation of the guidelines. Parking lots are not in violation of guidelines per se - though some may be placed with adequate permission and it is hard to tell which these are.

If you want a guarantee that you will visit an interesting place you might try Waymarking. You can filter out the categories of places that don't interest you and visit just the ones in categories you do find interesting.

When I set up my GeoConcierge service...

Sounds cool, but you're going to have to change the name.

Travelers using Sony Ericsson phones will soon have the ability to download a Web-based program that will let them personalize their phones based on their location.

But what most users won't realize is that piece of genius called GeoConcierge came from the minds of the technology experts right here in Northeast Wisconsin.

What's patronizing is assuming that folks would not want to hunt those in addition to the other opportunites.

I believe that Geocaching is what you make of it, It gives you the option of choosing what you want to find and what you don't. I don"t like Puzzle caches but that doesn't mean that I think they are stupid, I just don't like them so I don't go for them. To each his/her own I say.

You can think <insert cache type here> are stupid. The new Thought Control rules are not in effect yet. You just don't have to go around trying to get everyone to admit <insert cache type here> are stupid, unless you're trying to stir up the forums.

The "if you don't like them then don't hunt them" argument is old and it doesn't answer the question of why place pointless caches.
That's not the question that the argument is supposed to answer, so it's no wonder the answer isn't good enough for you.

I know I don't have to hunt them. I practice that already.
You don't hunt pointless caches? I'd love it if you'd explain to us 1) what Coyotered considers to be a pointless cache, and 2) how you've finally managed to avoid them after complaining all these years that you can't do this.

Answer the question of why pointless caches have to darken my PQ in the first place.
Because there are NO pointless caches. As has already been stated, the point to a geocache is for it to be found using a GPS device. If they're being found, they're not pointless.

Patronizing to whom?

To you, who is capable of geocaching for a living? To you who is capable of geocaching 20 mile trails in a deep forest?

Luckily....geocaching isn't just about YOU.

One of the major players in that large retirement community is an 80 year old lady. She hides amazing caches! Many, if not all, of them are level one terrain. See, she KNOWS her community.

She hid a large bolt under the lamp in a walmart parking lot.

Cut it out and carved the bolt. Took her some time doing so, and I bet she was proud as heck to hide that thing.

It was an easy find. Was it easy for her to build? I doubt it. When I commented in her log about how clever the container was, I bet it made her happy.

God forbid this game make anybody happy.

I LOVE that my able body was able to nab that easy walmart parking lot cache, and that I was able to play a role in someone else's happiness. Instead of spending my life focusing on my own happiness. A little selflessness goes a long way.

So, to the 80 year old ladies hiding clever caches, spending their time in Ace hardware looking for more creative ideas, spending their days carefully creating their caches: more power to you.

And I, will happily find, and log your parking lot cache.

And you can continue to ignore them.

Edited by JesandTodd
Answer the question of why pointless caches have to darken my PQ in the first place.
Because there are NO pointless caches. As has already been stated, the point to a geocache is for it to be found using a GPS device. If they're being found, they're not pointless.

Maybe there could be 2 checkmarks when submitting a cache (the CO gets to pick one or the other):

• The point of this geocache is for it be found using a GPS device
  • The point of this geocache is to bring people to a nice/interesting location or to a creative cache

Then there should be an option in the PQs to filter out any caches where the CO chose "to be found using a GPS device".

One thing I have seen overlooked in this whole debacle is that caching is supposed to be family friendly. What some may consider trivial and pointless may be what the stroller equipped family is looking for. Also (and I'm fairly certain that Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking will back me on this one) when it's 115 degrees outside and you want to snag a find to fulfil a need to log a find, you may not want to embark on that 15 mile one way hike as you will likely die of dehydration (which results in a DNF). I am an objective person that realizes that each individual will favor one thing over another (I like Chevy's not Fords), but that is why we are given so many options. Most of our finds are urbans, some micros, and even a few PLM's, all of them did the same thing for us, they enabled us to find a geocache, most times while we were out doing something else... like shopping. As a matter of fact here in Phoenix a "skirt lifter" has been taken to a new level and turned puzzle cache (GC14X50). Everyone who has posted has made a valid point towards their personal feelings and beliefs, and I honestly think that the sheer amount of feedback has more than answered the initial question.

Anyway, there's my twocents.gif.

Now can we stop beatdeadhorse.gif?

Maybe there could be 2 checkmarks when submitting a cache (the CO gets to pick one or the other):
  • The point of this geocache is for it be found using a GPS device
  • The point of this geocache is to bring people to a nice/interesting location or to a creative cache

Then there should be an option in the PQs to filter out any caches where the CO chose "to be found using a GPS device".

Because the first check box would always be checked?

I'm not saying that a lot of caches don't offer anything in addition to being found, but that's the point that ALL caches have in common: to be found. So saying that a cache can be pointless in general is untrue, since they all have a point. They all are placed in hopes that people will come find them, even the ones with a nice view in addition to the cache. Right?